Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-10-2007, 02:28 PM   #31
ck11

Um we are talking about the life of a criminal here. He commited a crime and knew the risks. It is america and there is none of the softly softly approach seen here.

Perhaps if they took such a stance here, we wouldnt see some of the hooligans get away with such soft punishments.
ck11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 02:34 PM   #32
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOON69
matey i use to work at the police academy with my dad,i know they are trained to shoot to kill and to make that 1 shot as accurate as possible,they how ever dont train you to empty your gun
and in most cases extreme force by a officer can land them in court as shown many times in the U.S

ever seen what a point blank shot does to a person?

its alot different then shooting them from 100 yards away

this cop emptied a gun at point blank range,to a unarmed man and why?

cause the cop decided to be rambo and jump on the hood of a moving car(apparently) trigger happy obviously and as stated,i didnt say he wasnt justified in protecting himself, i said killing him wasnt the right option,why they didnt box the car in like the do 99% of the time,or shoot out tyres,either way i know the laws and know how they are trained,still doesnt mean they should shoot to kill over a traffic matter(again thats all it was at the time)
Theres two ways to look at it, your saying the sole purpose of the cop jumping on the hood of the vehicle was to shoot the victim. But its more likely he jumped on the hood to apprehend the driver, when suddenly the driver starts to drive off, which doesnt give the policeman much of a choice. He is either going to get run over or flung off the hood at high speed. Either way his life was in danger. And at the same time or just prior, he had already struck another policeman with the vehicle. So his fears were justified.

And in the Brisbane case where does it say the shots were fired from 100yards away? One officer had already been hit by the vehicle, which would mean the other wasnt far away.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 02:35 PM   #33
fmc351
let it burn

Im not going to bother gettting into 2nd guesssing an officer in exercising his duty,
BUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman941
Funny, how you never see Americans dissing Aussies, or their LEOs.
What is this this quid pro quo?
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 02:41 PM   #34
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Does the video still work?

I just love the do gooders here and their opinion based on textbook armchair(or keyboard) rather than real life, right there experience. Until a do gooder is a VICTIM of crime, they will NEVER NEVER understand.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:43 PM   #35
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
Does the video still work?

I just love the do gooders here and their opinion based on textbook armchair(or keyboard) rather than real life, right there experience. Until a do gooder is a VICTIM of crime, they will NEVER NEVER understand.
Yep, first link still works. I reckon the cops did the right thing, but maybe should have only shot him 5 times, not 7.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 02:50 PM   #36
HOON69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Theres two ways to look at it, your saying the sole purpose of the cop jumping on the hood of the vehicle was to shoot the victim. But its more likely he jumped on the hood to apprehend the driver, when suddenly the driver starts to drive off, which doesnt give the policeman much of a choice. He is either going to get run over or flung off the hood at high speed. Either way his life was in danger. And at the same time or just prior, he had already struck another policeman with the vehicle. So his fears were justified.

And in the Brisbane case where does it say the shots were fired from 100yards away? One officer had already been hit by the vehicle, which would mean the other wasnt far away.
apprehending a suspect via what?

the windscreen?

they have doors for that which the officer caved in with his car,they also could of went via the passengers door,the rear doors?

the option of jumping onto a bonnet isnt exactly the safest and im sure he knew the risk,so why take it he wasnt pulling him out of the windscreen was he?

qld incident,where did i say 100 yards away it was a example of shooting range not actual fact to the qld case :P
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 02:51 PM   #37
cupic
Nikon

Dont go a mess around with Officer Yankee Dandy are you get a mouth full of lead
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 03:45 PM   #38
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC GXL
Judge, Jury, Executioner : I thought that only happened in Judge Dredd!!!!!!
NO ONLY IN AMERICA
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 04:42 PM   #39
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

www.courttvred.com it has all the best police chases and crap on it...

I love Inside American Jail and Most Shocking I try to catch them every week here!

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 05:20 PM   #40
The Monty
Just slidin'

Cant believe people are defending a felon....
Dont break the law, and you dont have to worry about the consequence.
Also, how are we to know, that the guy hadnt shot someone, or robbed a bank before the stealing of the car, and attempted traffic stop? The police would know, and they would have acted on the facts presented to them.
They done right, they done good, now we need to harden up our Police to do the same, and start getting people to understand that its not ok to stuff with the law.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #41
87xfdriver

According to this report 1 in every 136 Americans are in prison: prison population 2.2 million
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...5/s1643973.htm

The approach used by Australian cops is basically let them go and rock up next week at 10 am when they might be less drugged out take them in quitely, calmly, yes with cake and coffee if need be. My father now retired was seriously involved in internal affairs, and this is generally the approach taken.

So what?- They drive off, if another car doesn't spot them, all you end up with is someones stolen car- might be recovereed might not. The other approach you get someone, probably young and under the influence, blown to pieces, passenger traumatised, family traumatised, cop probably traumatised, all over a stupid car- not worth it.
87xfdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 06:00 PM   #42
HOON69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Cant believe people are defending a felon....
Dont break the law, and you dont have to worry about the consequence.
Also, how are we to know, that the guy hadnt shot someone, or robbed a bank before the stealing of the car, and attempted traffic stop? The police would know, and they would have acted on the facts presented to them.
They done right, they done good, now we need to harden up our Police to do the same, and start getting people to understand that its not ok to stuff with the law.
defending a felon or our civil rights
so what your saying is everyone whom breaks the laws deserves to die?

nice angle if we all thought like that we'd be the new South America :P

the facts were: traffic offence
that turned into fleeing police (evading police) resist arrest
then they claim he almost hit police whom were in their vehicles tempting a pit on the car.
then a officer jumps on a car so it turns into assault with deadly weapon and the officer kills the bloke by shooting him point blank

then they find its a stolen car,and his known to be a druggo etc

seriously they have the right to protect themself i agree,but place yourself in a dangerous position isnt the same as being forced into that same situation,the officer made the decision to jump on said car and shoot to kill,when training has mulitiple non lethal way to deal with it,all this from a simple traffic offence/matter.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:04 PM   #43
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87xfdriver
According to this report 1 in every 136 Americans are in prison: prison population 2.2 million
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...5/s1643973.htm

The approach used by Australian cops is basically let them go and rock up next week at 10 am when they might be less drugged out take them in quitely, calmly, yes with cake and coffee if need be. My father now retired was seriously involved in internal affairs, and this is generally the approach taken.

So what?- They drive off, if another car doesn't spot them, all you end up with is someones stolen car- might be recovereed might not. The other approach you get someone, probably young and under the influence, blown to pieces, passenger traumatised, family traumatised, cop probably traumatised, all over a stupid car- not worth it.
Sometimes the innocent young daughter who is walking to band practice loses her life too, cleaned up by an idiot who doesnt know right from wrong. Stolen car??, seriously man, think.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:09 PM   #44
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
defending a felon or our civil rights
so what your saying is everyone whom breaks the laws deserves to die?

nice angle if we all thought like that we'd be the new South America :P

the facts were: traffic offence You dont know what else could happen if the po-po let the clown drive off. I refer you the young girl killed in Qld recently by an unlicenced dumb scrag in a commie with no brakes. I bet the family of the girl on her way to band practice wished cops could just cap ignorant fools. I know i do, and I dont know the girl.
that turned into fleeing police (evading police) resist arrest Police have to wonder why? But you think they should just hope for the best possibility, not the worst.
then they claim he almost hit police whom were in their vehicles tempting a pit on the car.Because he was supposed to stop. Youre suggesting if he keeps going he should be given a chance, like the old days when crossing the border saved you.
then a officer jumps on a car so it turns into assault with deadly weapon and the officer kills the bloke by shooting him point blank Correct, see the gun, hell heed the request to stop in the first place, but by the time a gun has been pulled, stop. If you dont, forfeit any rights to life. Better the idiot making the bad decisions than the innocent life of someone who hasnt made such poor choices.

then they find its a stolen car,and his known to be a druggo etc

seriously they have the right to protect themself i agree,but place yourself in a dangerous position isnt the same as being forced into that same situation,the officer made the decision to jump on said car and shoot to kill,when training has mulitiple non lethal way to deal with it,all this from a simple traffic offence/matter.
They have the right to protect other road users too. And those on footpaths, in homes or anywhere else.

Last edited by fmc351; 03-10-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:44 PM   #45
HOON69
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZydmenX5MA
33 seconds into the video shots fired who said he wasnt already wounded
then 10 seconds later you see a cop on his bonnet opening up more bullets

its 50/50 imho
but after situations like this i guess you need to be cautious
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8olEn237h8

FULL VERSION:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0tTkvNrCN8

minute 5.14 he gets out of car
minute 5.18 he shoots at suspect
about 5.23 you hear "dont move"

Last edited by HOON69; 03-10-2007 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:07 PM   #46
sleepyhead
Starter Motor

It's their job right? It's just that the suspect didn't bother to stop and chose to die. And as the news have said, he's a drug dependent, maybe he's high on drugs, that's why he has a passenger while doing those stunts.

:
Old 03-10-2007, 07:20 PM   #47
87xfdriver

Just like the innocent young girl that gets killed, whoever that was in the car was someones son/daughter, if it happened to your son or daughter how would you feel? No mercy for the felon?

The cop could have just as easily gone out of control and killed the little girl on the footpath himself- That's the point- avoid the high speed chase- They're not worth it.

Let them think they've got away with it then pick them up down at the local watering hole.
87xfdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 07:53 PM   #48
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZydmenX5MA
33 seconds into the video shots fired who said he wasnt already wounded
then 10 seconds later you see a cop on his bonnet opening up more bullets

its 50/50 imho
but after situations like this i guess you need to be cautious
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8olEn237h8

FULL VERSION:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0tTkvNrCN8

minute 5.14 he gets out of car
minute 5.18 he shoots at suspect
about 5.23 you hear "dont move"
Thats a pretty high speed chase through what looks to be an area thats less than remote. May not be much traffic, but there were cars other than police. i remember seeing a chase on COPS a few years back where the car evading ran an intersection and t-boned a car killing the innocent driver. The alternative is let them escape, think about that. Who would stop if the Police have to let you go? Criminals would have a field day.

If this was just a routine stop, just some fool who didnt want to stop, no other crime, their state of mind cant be all that stable can it? That itself makes them a danger to everyone else who they come across, at speed, in a deadly weapon. Thats how accidents happen, may not, but could, why should the general pubic assume the risk for some clown who should know better? Why should they be given second chances, when by his own actions the general public are losing their first chance to grant him a second?

Alternatively, why doesnt a person stop? What are they trying to avoid? Its clear something isnt right about them, and then the above situation is still true.

Stop, or die, before someone who has done no wrong dies because that fool made poor choices.

This is all true without the situation that unfolds in the second video you linked. That only makes assessing the situation far more complicated.

As I watched it, the cop rams the car to try and stop it, but the hit is made worse by the crim trying to take off as the cop hits. I mean c'mon, you can hear the cop say at times they are doing 100mph. You cant let that continue until he runs out of fuel. Being that are at such speeds, you have to expect the cop coming after is going to be flying, so when you start chuckin u-tuns in the middle of the road, if he hits ya, its gonna hurt.

Yet the car isnt stopping. When the cop shoots the driver, the person he seems to be yelling dont move to, is the passenger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87xfdriver
Just like the innocent young girl that gets killed, whoever that was in the car was someones son/daughter, if it happened to your son or daughter how would you feel? No mercy for the felon? But one is not innocent, the other has no choices.

The cop could have just as easily gone out of control and killed the little girl on the footpath himself- That's the point- avoid the high speed chase- They're not worth it. How do you know? What future events are in your crystal ball?

Let them think they've got away with it then pick them up down at the local watering hole.
You obviously have no concept of reality. Just because the cop stops, doesnt meant the crim will. What happens between the cop sighting them and catching them in the future?

Crims would have a field day with that plan. As soon as cops look like apprehending you, hop in a car, its like calling out "Im Barleys" in school.

Last edited by fmc351; 03-10-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #49
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Was the guy in the car armed in any way?? If so what happened was probably justified. If not, it is just another case of Judge Jury and executioner. But I guess you would have to be there to really know what happened. I wonder what would have happened if the guy in the car stomped on the throttle in his death throws. The cop would have been in trouble for sure.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:06 PM   #50
VIBEBA
huh???

: How full on are they bit over the top isnt it...

VIBEBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 08:09 PM   #51
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Was the guy in the car armed in any way?? If so what happened was probably justified. If not, it is just another case of Judge Jury and executioner. But I guess you would have to be there to really know what happened. I wonder what would have happened if the guy in the car stomped on the throttle in his death throws. The cop would have been in trouble for sure.
Go upto hoons last post, click the 2nd link. Often you dont know they have guns until your looking down its barrel. Here ill save you going back a page

Why dont people understand the 'car' is a deadly weapon and needs to be stopped? How often do we hear of accidents caused by speed, no cops involved?

The outcome is the best choice from a set of woeful choices. At least the result is imposed on the one responsible for the situation.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:36 PM   #52
Scott

After reading the above I have to wonder if the cop on the bonnet was watching a guy picking up a gun in the car?? Who knows (certainly not me)..... Not too many cops are trigger happy - we pay these people to do the best they can within a defined parameter - unfortunately, psycho killers tend to stretch the bounds of normality and therefore we need to count on the good guys to make snap, life changing decisions for not only our betterment but to ensure they get to go home kiss the kids goodnight too.

People are falible, I'll back a cop who *maybe* made a poor judgement call over a scumbag like that piece of crap any day of the week.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 10:28 PM   #53
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman941
Good to know that Aussie cops are no-nonense tough also.
Until its one of your family...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 10:36 PM   #54
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Until its one of your family...
No-one in my family would steal a car or run from the cops. Brother inlaw's family is another kettle of fish though :
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2007, 12:41 AM   #55
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Go upto hoons last post, click the 2nd link. Often you dont know they have guns until your looking down its barrel. Here ill save you going back a page

Why dont people understand the 'car' is a deadly weapon and needs to be stopped? How often do we hear of accidents caused by speed, no cops involved?

The outcome is the best choice from a set of woeful choices. At least the result is imposed on the one responsible for the situation.
I just watched that clip, the cop did everything right, in the end he's had enough and walks up and just sprays them with his OC, but then he turns his back on them and walks away. Thats when he gets drilled and apparently killed. A little bit of apathy unfortunately, he should have been watching them more closely, the driver was obviously trying to evade him.
This is why US cops pull their guns first, or should anyway.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:28 AM   #56
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Geez, another cop bashing thread, a day barely goes by when one comes up and all these couch potatoes judge something they have no F clue about. How many people who have posted here have actually been involved in a pursuit, have dealt with violent offenders whilst trying to arrest them? And lastly it is a whole different world in the US of A. Where 10 years old carry handguns to school, completely different from Australia.

I am thankful some of the posters have some common sense though _2:

I must say, no way in hell would I be jumping on a vehicle like that!!

Last edited by Redrum; 04-10-2007 at 01:35 AM.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2007, 08:20 AM   #57
HOON69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
Geez, another cop bashing thread, a day barely goes by when one comes up and all these couch potatoes judge something they have no F clue about. How many people who have posted here have actually been involved in a pursuit, have dealt with violent offenders whilst trying to arrest them? And lastly it is a whole different world in the US of A. Where 10 years old carry handguns to school, completely different from Australia.

I am thankful some of the posters have some common sense though _2:

I must say, no way in hell would I be jumping on a vehicle like that!!
love your work,since when is having a opinion a cop bashing fest,but i guess were just arm chair experts aint we?
and dont preach to me that i dont know what they go through,i talk to enough police and correctional officers to know exactly what they go through on a daily basis,i didnt say that the shoot to protect wasnt justified,but killing the bloke well most agree it was excessive.

protect yourself YES
kill because you decided to jump on a car that wasnt stopped properly NO
after many threads on the subject most agree the force used, wasnt needed.

didnt think the internet required me or anyone else to share your point of views yet,your ready and able to tell us we dont know F all about anything,intelligent post mate,im off to do some arm chair research
:
Old 04-10-2007, 10:40 AM   #58
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Calm down Hoon. Over there it is fair dinkum mate, not marbles or tiddly-winks. As you can see, the coppers over there are faced with dangers that the general public here in Australia will never experience other than from an armchair. I'm sure you would have an itchy finger if you faced some of the bad guys over there that carry firearms everyday and wouldn't think twice about using it. At the end of the day, it's their job(police) and they have families too to go home to.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #59
gozza

one in the chest followed by one in the head would be suffice
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2007, 11:30 AM   #60
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Awesome...

Well done cops !

There should be more of that posted on the internet to teach people that steal cars not to run from the police.

Thats the way to deal with car thieves that run and then try to ram the police.

AC/DC
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post