Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #31
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanrz
That "MPGe" figure is there because the car runs on ethanol, so the extra "e" on the end signifies the energy equivalent to a gallon of regular gasoline.
So 100 MPGe = a reality of 80 MPG of normal fuel.

And this is bad???

I mean sure it's not the 100 but 80 is still a hell of a lot better than what's out there at the moment.

Even at a decent 10l/100km you're talking about roughly 40ml/gal so then 80ml back to km is around 5l/100km on par with most of the current Direct Injection Diesel engines out on the market at the moment.

Hey Dan I'm not arguing with you about where the Ethanol comes from but what by product of corn is used, the sugar beet and cane is the pulp but what pulp from corn and wheat (just asking)?? The flip side of that is that the cane growers/ethanol producers in particular are getting subsidised to produce Ethanol, so essentially we still pay the difference in the end.

As for tolerances, not sure but I would have thought that the tighter an engine runs the more efficient, I mean F1 engines are all hand built so as to be able to run minimum tolerances. Sure they get rebuilt quite regularly but that could also be because they rev at around 12-15,000rpm.

There are other technologies that could be used and if this guy is an electrical engineer then there is one other way that I can think of that I actually put to an engineer many years ago to which he said it could work. Essentially it's a wasted fuel burn off set up but rather than just burning off remaining fuel in the cylinder you would actually fire two cylinders simultaneously. This would work best in a V8 as it essentially runs the engine as a twin bank 4 cylinder engine, but because you fire two cylinders at once you'd need less fuel in each, in theory half as a minimum but with proper tuning and timing you would use up to half that again. So you would have roughly a 50% fuel saving but with little to no drop in torque which is where the real power is due to the simultaneous firing of 2 cylinders this would make up for any losses in a single cylinder fire system.

Think about it, it would work.

just to add: I think the Revenge article pretty much tells the story, the big boys look at everyone as a crackpot first, expecting them to do their own R+D then look at it again if it actually works. Revenge have essentially bought into the rights so that when they show it does work and the demand from the consumer is there they have a big stake in the rights buy out when the big boys want in. On the upside they have a great economical engine that they can plonk into their own production model that saves fuel and gives you outstanding peformance at the same time, plus the US Government is giving huge subsidies to companies researching and promoting "Green Tech", so they are making money from all sides. Smart people.

Last edited by XRQTR; 08-06-2009 at 01:03 PM.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #32
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR
This would work best in a V8 as it essentially runs the engine as a twin bank 4 cylinder engine, but because you fire two cylinders at once you'd need less fuel in each, in theory half as a minimum but with proper tuning and timing you would use up to half that again. So you would have roughly a 50% fuel saving but with little to no drop in torque which is where the real power is due to the simultaneous firing of 2 cylinders this would make up for any losses in a single cylinder fire system.

Think about it, it would work.
Yes it can work, but......
Running less fuel in each cylinder is running the engine lean isn't?
Lean running engines create more heat, more heat, the greater chance to burn out a valve, incepting greater running costs and reduced realiability.
As Doug claims of "creating more thermal energy", this might be right.
But in the name of reliabilty? Come on.
But running lean, won't give you the power or torque as Doug claims.
As well with the extra NOx emissions it creates, he didn't mention that.

The concept of Learn Burn has been around for ages, but has dwindled off.
I wonder why.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean_burn

I've seen what engines do from running lean (on LPG/NG), burnt valves happen a lot and a costly repair.

This E85 concept is a great thing, the problem with people (business people), that market and solicit goods, with no backed up hardcore evidence of their claims is prone for critisim in my books.
(Just like Telstra saying we care for a Telecommunications industry, when all they do is wrap open copper cables in water laden pits with plastic bags to keep the water out.)

Now below is what I call, coming up with the goods and marketing it in the right way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2JkMCzjTVE

Now if Doug had this plan, He would "Own".
But there is no base to his claims. Ok, his secret is solid then, but if you are not open about (to a certain degree), to me all you are doing is stalling.
Stalling = No base to claims.

The only base that he has is that he is building an engine plant, that went "Open" this month.
We will have to wait and see what becomes of it.

http://autoxprize.typepad.com/
All I can say, is that an Inventor that applies to run in a National Competition, touts that he has the goods for months, then all of a sudden his application is null and void, and does not fight his rights to stay in the competiton, has no base of his claims in my book.

For the Skeptics :
http://ecomodder.com/blog/amazing-11...cattle-manure/
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #33
ltd
Force Fed Fords

This whole thing reminds me of an infomercial they run in the USA all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQAln...e=channel_page

Sorry, this is a bit of a butchered link to the ad, only because I couldn't find the original.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #34
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
This whole thing reminds me of an infomercial they run in the USA all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQAln...e=channel_page

Sorry, this is a bit of a butchered link to the ad, only because I couldn't find the original.
Hahaha ROFL.... I think this guy was in the ad (on the street)
Old 08-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #35
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanrz
Yes it can work, but......
Running less fuel in each cylinder is running the engine lean isn't?

Are you sure about that??

By firing both banks simutaneously you effectively only need half the power from each bank, so think again whether you're actually running it lean or perhaps, just maybe rich.

To make 400hp you would only need to make 200hp on each side as they work in unison to make a combined power figure of 400hp, you're still thinking about making 400hp but forgetting that it takes less effort to make that per cylinder.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #36
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate, your theory is a joke and simply doesnt make sense.

You would be trying to rotate 2 cylinders with half the fuel, you are not going to get the same power as 2 individual cylinders. Its pysically not possible.
You have to propel double the weight, double the friction with half the fuel, its simply going to produce much less than half the power.
There is no hidden power gains in a conventional combustion engine.

Using your theory you could have 100 cylinders firing at the same time with 100th of the fuel and youd expect the same amount of power as 100 individual cylinders and the appropriate amount of fuel? :
It wouldnt even move, the friction and the weight would be too great to be impacted by 100th of the fuel (explosion).
You really need to go back to school and take basic physics
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.

Last edited by XR Martin; 08-06-2009 at 07:00 PM.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #37
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also if you only putting half the fuel into a conventional cylinder, it simply wouldnt combust properly, they are designed specifically for the appropriate amount of air/fuel mix. Are you forgetting petrol needs a specific mix with air, to actually explode? You reduce that by half you simply wont get an explosion.
You reduce the fuel by half, you are going to have to reduce the cylinder by half, which gives you half an engine, half the power....

Old 08-06-2009, 07:42 PM   #38
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Come on, this crap has been well-and-truly debunked a long time ago.

Some reading: http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums...ad.php?t=38411
Old 08-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #39
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hee... Hee.. told ya he was a CRACKPOT!!!!!... Pot(SMOKER)tery
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 08:13 PM   #40
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Mate, your theory is a joke and simply doesnt make sense.

You would be trying to rotate 2 cylinders with half the fuel, you are not going to get the same power as 2 individual cylinders. Its pysically not possible.
You have to propel double the weight, double the friction with half the fuel, its simply going to produce much less than half the power.

Really??

I didn't realise that once you fire two cylinders you suddenly double the rotating mass of a single engine :togo:

As for making sense I've put the idea to engineers who have all said it would work, and you do what exactly??
Old 08-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #41
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Really??

I didn't realise that once you fire two cylinders you suddenly double the rotating mass of a single engine :togo:

As for making sense I've put the idea to engineers who have all said it would work, and you do what exactly??
Because you are only using half the fuel per cylinder, you are in effect making the energy produced from the combustion, push twice as much rotating mass and twice as much friction, as opposed to a conventional engine.

Yet you somehow think thats irrelevant?

Old 08-06-2009, 11:25 PM   #42
500SEC

I like this piece from that other site (www.corner-carvers.com)...

"And with four bolt wheels. I guess all that tech stuff used up his brake budget. "

Wouldn't u feel happier with at least five bolts on each wheels with 400hp under the hood?
500SEC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 12:12 AM   #43
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Because you are only using half the fuel per cylinder, you are in effect making the energy produced from the combustion, push twice as much rotating mass and twice as much friction, as opposed to a conventional engine.

Yet you somehow think thats irrelevant?

You're firing two cylinders simultaneously, even if it is half the fuel "per cylinder" it's the same amount of fuel as firing just one cylinder, so again how are you doubling the mass??

If anything you would be lessening the mass by sharing the work load.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:55 AM   #44
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Quote:
You're firing two cylinders simultaneously, even if it is half the fuel "per cylinder" it's the same amount of fuel as firing just one cylinder,
I can see where you are coming from, but it's just not logical.

Your rule of thumb only works when you are working with the same amount of capacity (a very large 5.4L 4 CYL or a 5.4L V8).
True, you are using the same amount of fuel for the 2 cylinders vs the 1.
And the air displacement is the same.
As your working on the theory that 2 cylinder's (8cyl) light at the same time, you would have a very very lumpy V8 that would need a huge heavy flywheel to take the crank over to the next firing. Because there are only 4 powerstrokes, not 8.
If you've done some engine work, you'd understand why a 4cyl has a heavier flywheel than an 8cyl.
Heavier flywheel would give it some massive torque, but not so sure on the HP/KW base.

However, going on the 4 Vs 8 in reality, the capacity (Volume) of air would be different. If based on todays engine sizes. 4Cyl vs an 8Cyl.
Thus giving you a leaned mix for the 2 cylinders (on the 8) and the right ratio (stoich) for the 4Cyl, that is if you are using the "same" amount of fuel on the one cyl (4cyl) as to the 2cylinders (8cyl).

In any case of displacement, it has to carry the right mixture (stoich).
If it's not stoich, then it don't run as well or at all. You can have a range of ratios from 12 to 16, but that's under engine operating ideals.
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=...um=2#PPA322,M1

I do remember the Mythbusters having trouble a few times getting the mixture of fuel to air right, on a few of their episodes (Exploding house using bug bombs and the Cell Phone Destruction) I think are good cases.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:26 AM   #45
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
I live in Ohio and just going from what I remember reading about this last year, it gets about 80 mpg on E-85 fuel, bottom line. That's great, if it is true.

The guy is an electrical engineer and he claims that is what enables him to achieve this; high tech electronics that he designed himself.

I am still awaiting for proof positive evidence; labratory confirmed fuel consumption and dyno figures. I'll have to look into this to get caught up on the progress since last year. It was in the local news then but hasn't been since then.

Steve

Ahh sounds like modern day Polariser talk!

80mpg, in what car? Sounds like it might have a 2 speed diff, maybe a 10 speed spicer behind it.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 08:10 AM   #46
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You're firing two cylinders simultaneously, even if it is half the fuel "per cylinder" it's the same amount of fuel as firing just one cylinder, so again how are you doubling the mass??

If anything you would be lessening the mass by sharing the work load.
Lets say the rotating mass of one cylinder is 2kg, and two cylinders is 4kg.
Lets say the energy from a combustion in a converntional cylinder is 10000Kj.
So you would have 20000Kj of energy across those 2cylinders weighing 4kg.

Now you want to halve the energy produced per cylinder, so 5000kj per cylinder, but the mass of the rotating cylinders is staying the same, 4kg.
It doesnt matter if you fire the cylinders at the same time or not, the rotating cylinders still weigh the same, and the energy produced is still less.

Theres no trick to the fundamental laws of physics, as far as I know your scenerio still occurs of planet Earth and those laws still apply.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #47
ltd
Force Fed Fords

XR6 MArtin is Spot on, but added to his point is that the two pistons sliding up and down in the cylinder are actually reciprocating masses, meaning that they have to not only overcome their weight, but the added pressure of compressing the air/fuel mix. If you apply Newtons first law of physics which is that force equals mass times acceleration or F=MA, then you find that say a 2kg piston at idle of about 750rpm in a cylinder which travels 10cm on the upstroke and 10cm on the downstroke; it works out that the piston is moving at 2.5m/s.

Now, apply this to the weight of 2kg which equals 20 newtons and you have 50 Newtons of force required to overcome just the weight of the reciprocating mass. Now, with 2 cylinders firing simultaneously you'd require 100N of force, and this is not taking into consideration the load from compression and the friction against the cylinder.

Now, lets say that X amount of fuel is sufficient to get one piston (50 Newtons) to do its thing. Halving that will produce 0.5X which in a perfect world will give you 1.25m/s of one piston; so half idle of 375rpm. Now, double the weight to 100 Newtons as you want two cylinders to fire simultaneously, so you have 0.25X as the fuel component trying to overcome the 100N of force required to move the reciprocating mass meaning that it will travel at 0.625m/s or idle at 187.5rpm.
As anyone will tell you, it would not be possible to idle any reciprocating engine small enough to fit into a car, especially considering the weakness of the power stroke. Further, that weak power stroke would not be able to overcome the other forces applied to the piston such as friction, compression, thermal efficiency and a host of other issues. Basically, what these guys are proposing is bogus.

As for leaning of fuel burn; do you may remember a case about 12 years ago of a commuter airplane crash in Whyalla SA?
In this case it was found that as pilots have leaning procedures of large capacity engines, the junior pilot in this case overleaned the two turbo charged 6 cylinder AVCO Lycoming engines to the point that the cylinders got so hot, he burnt holes in 3 of the pistons, burnt valves and melted the electrodes off the spark plugs (2 in each cylinder). Subsequently, both engines failed and he crashed killing all those aboard. No, I refer to my earlier post about EXTENZE as to the veracity of the claim made by an amateur website at best.

Quote: