Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-03-2005, 09:47 PM   #31
loxxr6
XB in parts...

DVD decrypter gets past all the copyrighting crap, and dvd shrink burns clean and dud-free copies. Nero had issues (my copy of Starsky and Hutch was a culprit of frame freezing thanks to Nero).

Oh ok. So DVD Decrypter sounds like it does the same thing as Anydvd.

Quote:
I just insert the original DVD, shrink it to the hard drive using DVD Shrink and then burn it to a blank DVD using Nero.
You don't really need to use Nero coz DVD Shrink will do the burning too. Unless you're using a function that isn't in DVD shrink ? I've never used Nero for burning dvd's...

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2005, 09:29 AM   #32
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
DVD decrypter gets past all the copyrighting crap, and dvd shrink burns clean and dud-free copies. Nero had issues (my copy of Starsky and Hutch was a culprit of frame freezing thanks to Nero).

Oh ok. So DVD Decrypter sounds like it does the same thing as Anydvd.

You don't really need to use Nero coz DVD Shrink will do the burning too. Unless you're using a function that isn't in DVD shrink ? I've never used Nero for burning dvd's...
Yup, both DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink get past all the copyright stuff, if you've got them both you won't need anything else. While they might look a little daunting when you first try them, you'll find that they're easy enough to use once you get used to them and they do a GREAT job!

If anybody needs any help, feel free to contact me and I'll get back to you when I can.
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2005, 10:08 AM   #33
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
My thanks to the Maddestman, he explained it all very well. Once you have used the programs you will understand wtf he in on about... he has NOT lost his marbles (well, not on this particular subject anyhow hee hee hee).
Hehehe, glad you included that disclaimer there, hee hee, I tried to explain it as well as I could and make it clear what I was on about, but when you're familiar with something, it can make it difficult, because you forget about little things you now take for granted that someone who isn't familiar with it yet might not realise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Definatley. I went through your explanations and it is started to make more sense. Thankyou for the detailed information and images. The only thing I couldn't do is find my preferences in DVD shrink. I might have a different version.

Thanks
No problem, glad I was able to help

Quote:
Its a Celeron 1.7 I built about 2 years ago. I like to space my rebuilds 2 years a part. Make good use of the hardware before upgrading. Usually upgrade the key components and then when a good deal comes up on things like burners, hard drive's and video cards, i get those parts then.
Ouch, damn that was hot for a Celeron 1.7, I was thinking it might have been a 2.5GHz with that sort of temp. If you usually space the rebuilds 2 years apart, you'd be thinking of a complete rebuild soon then wouldn't you? If so, what are you considering?
Old 29-03-2005, 10:14 AM   #34
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MaDDeSTMaN
Hehehe, glad you included that disclaimer there, hee hee, I tried to explain it as well as I could and make it clear what I was on about, but when you're familiar with something, it can make it difficult, because you forget about little things you now take for granted that someone who isn't familiar with it yet might not realise.
Yeah I know what you mean! You explained it fine to me but that's prolly cos I use the programs

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2005, 06:20 PM   #35
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MaDDeSTMaN

No problem, glad I was able to help

Ouch, damn that was hot for a Celeron 1.7, I was thinking it might have been a 2.5GHz with that sort of temp. If you usually space the rebuilds 2 years apart, you'd be thinking of a complete rebuild soon then wouldn't you? If so, what are you considering?

My 2 years is up in may. Time to get some rebuilding done. But not until after i return from my OS holiday.

I am thinking of a 3.06 processor, new board, 1 gig of ram, new tower & dvd rom.

I already have a 256mb video card, 160gb hard drive and the dvd burner. Going to use some other spare parts i have to give my old machine to my 3 year old to play games on. I have an 64mb video car and a few spare 10 gig hard drives lying around. Just need a new monitor and speakers. I have keyboards and mouses.

Thats about it. The drive and video car i bought this year. Oh yeah, 1 new wireless card to put this machine onto the network.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2005, 09:01 PM   #36
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
DVD decrypter gets past all the copyrighting crap...
So does DVD Shrink. This is from the DVD Shrink help file:

Commercial DVD titles are often encrypted, which prevents you from either copying them to your hard drive, or if you manage to do so, being able to play the resulting files. DVD Shrink overcomes this problem with built-in decryption algorithms, which means you can use DVD Shrink to backup a DVD directly, without requiring any other software.

Personally, I find it easier to use the one program to both decrypt and shrink in a single operation.

Quote:
I don't know which version of DVD Shrink you're using, but my version (3.2) doesn't enable burning. Once again from the help file:

You can use this software in conjunction with DVD burning software of your choice, to make a backup copy of any DVD video disc.
DVD Shrink will also burn your backup DVD, if you have installed the latest version of Nero. The output from DVD Shrink can be saved as files on your hard drive, or as an ISO disc image on your hard drive, which you can then burn with software of your choice.
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2005, 09:13 AM   #37
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR
Personally, I find it easier to use the one program to both decrypt and shrink in a single operation.
I don't know which version of DVD Shrink you're using, but my version (3.2) doesn't enable burning.
I also find it easier to decrypt and shrink using the one program, but I always start up DVD Decrypter first to check to see if it needs to be shrunk - no point shrinking a DVD that is only a single layer disk.

If it's only single layer, I use DVD Decrypter to read the ISO image, then use it to burn it back out to a blank.

If it's a dual-layer DVD, I start up DVD Shrink and get that started on working to shrink down the DVD, I have that set so that once it has finished it automatically starts up DVD Decrypter with the ISO image that it has just created, so all I have to do then is take out the original DVD (which has already been ejected), pop in a blank and click once, and it's then burning a backup of the original. Easy.

Only thing is, occasionally you'll find that, for some reason (usually scratches on the DVD), DVD Shrink isn't able to read the entire DVD in, in this case I find that reading it in with DVD Decrypter works most of the time, then I can get DVD Shrink to start shrinking it down.

Last edited by The MaDDeSTMaN; 30-03-2005 at 09:24 AM.
Old 30-03-2005, 12:06 PM   #38
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

For the purpose of this thread I have changed my name to...um : Fatboi...and fatboi has cleanly burnt 2 DVD's today, much to the delight of my kids hehehe thanks all for the insightful information on this thread, Now, to find a programme that can turn my Gaewoo into an AUIII XR6 :
Yum-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2005, 06:46 PM   #39
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
I don't know which version of DVD Shrink you're using, but my version (3.2) doesn't enable burning. Once again from the help file
:

Yeah you just open the disc and the when its scanned the dvd select backup disc and it starts the burn.

I just d/l whatever version was online.

Old 30-03-2005, 07:45 PM   #40
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmmm will have to try that next time. Thanks for the tip :
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2005, 11:24 PM   #41
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

That was usefull now i'll start burning my DVD's but what i need is a program that changes AVI files to DVD.
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2005, 10:06 AM   #42
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RspecAU
That was usefull now i'll start burning my DVD's but what i need is a program that changes AVI files to DVD.
http://www.tmpgenc.net/ should do the trick...
Old 31-03-2005, 04:40 PM   #43
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

okay, I think DVD shrink sounds like a good program.

atm my process is DVD Decrypter, than DVD2one, than Gear Pro. I have had very few failures and use a pioneer burner. Would the DVD shrink save me any time versus DVD2one and Gear pro which must both be run to complete the same function?
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2005, 10:29 AM   #44
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilch
okay, I think DVD shrink sounds like a good program.

atm my process is DVD Decrypter, than DVD2one, than Gear Pro. I have had very few failures and use a pioneer burner. Would the DVD shrink save me any time versus DVD2one and Gear pro which must both be run to complete the same function?
Most likely it would be faster, in DVD Shrink you can skip the first step (most of the time, depends on the DVD itself) of using DVD Decrypter to decrypt and copy the DVD contents to your computer by telling DVD Shrink to open the DVD. Then when DVD Shrink has finished, you can get it to automatically start DVD Decrypter, all ready to burn the backup.

Try it, if you don't like it you can always go back to the method you're using now.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:00 PM   #45
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR
I don't know which version of DVD Shrink you're using, but my version (3.2) doesn't enable burning.
I've got the exact same version, after backing up the disc it burns as soon as you put in a blank disc.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:09 AM   #46
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Sweet. AVI files suck.

The last program I used to decode them into mpeg's so i could do a vcd took ages. It was horrible. I'll def give this program a shot.

Quote:
I've got the exact same version, after backing up the disc it burns as soon as you put in a blank disc.
Exactly. Its too easy.

Old 03-04-2005, 07:13 AM   #47
LSD

AVI files aren't so bad when you've got something like this:

http://www.zensonic.com.au/z330.php

:P
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2005, 10:47 AM   #48
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Screw it, this sounds like fun. I'm going out to buy a DVD burner today.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2005, 05:12 AM   #49
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
They're top value and so affordable.

The one I have which is the latest Pioneer has already dropped down in price, again.

Old 04-04-2005, 06:55 AM   #50
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
It certainly is, but only when you get the hang of it. Took me too many DVDs until I got the right programs.

Now the other thing that mine seems to be really fussy about... I use the fastest speed to burn a DVD, but come to a CD and I need to use the SLOWEST speed. Just letting you know, be aware that for some reason if you burn a CD that fast it can sometimes stuff it up. I just slow it right down to 8x and all's well

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2005, 07:03 PM   #51
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Bwahahaha, welcome to the club Casper LMAO
Old 09-04-2005, 09:26 PM   #52
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I'm back to update this thread.

After struggling for the past few days trying to figure out how to make a movie, I decided its time to wipe the hard drive and install fresh version of the software. With the problems i was having, I suspect it came down to having too many programs which may or may not cause problems with other programs. These are some of the problems i had.

Burner would read at 1.8x only.
To cut a dvd I had to rip it with DVD encyptor ( Approx 1 hour)
Use DVD shrink to remove the extra bits like special features (Approx 1 hour)
Use Easy DVD shrink to do the burning ( Another freaking hour)
The DVD won't burn CD's. It treats my DVD burner as an image drive.

DVD shrink refused to let me burn. I could only use it to compile my movie in the final setup to burn using Easy DVD shrink.

If this wasn't enough, after all that, the files burned ok, but nothing that could be played in the dvd player. VOB files it burn't. Final straw.

So after a wipe of the hard drive and fresh installations, I'm getting ripping at 5x which takes about 20 minutes. The using DVD shrink I can remove the special effects. I total, I can make a movie in around an hour.

Feeling like my problem was solved, i put the DVD into the DVD player and it works. Great Quality. Happy Camper? No not really. Now I can't figure out how to remove those bloody subtitles. Arghhhhhhhh. Somehow, I have sub titles in my movie. Any idea's on how to remove these?

Last edited by Bucknaked; 09-04-2005 at 09:27 PM.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2005, 10:07 PM   #53
Pursuit250
Neglecting the P250

For a detailed explanation of how to use DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink, or just DVD Shrink on its own, go to this website http://www.dvdr-digest.com/articles/23_1.html . It covers all your settings and gives you a step-by-step tutoral of how to copy a DVD.

Bucky, if you are looking to upgrade we'll have a chat. I might be able to help you out here. Although I normally wouldn't make this recommendation in a public forum, we might need to visit the next computer fair at EPIC. Please ensure you wear you favourite pair of ill-fitting tracksuit pants, loose t-shirt and ensure your skin is extremely pale. You'll be turning around copies of DVDs in minutes. :alien2:
Pursuit250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2005, 12:02 AM   #54
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Now the other thing that mine seems to be really fussy about... I use the fastest speed to burn a DVD, but come to a CD and I need to use the SLOWEST speed. Just letting you know, be aware that for some reason if you burn a CD that fast it can sometimes stuff it up. I just slow it right down to 8x and all's well
I find the opposite. I burn my cd's at max speed but do the dvd's at lower speed (4x).

I was led to believe that while the capability to burn dvd's at max speed was possible that it was more likely to lead to coasters. Hmm. I might give my next run of burns a shot at 8x.

Old 10-04-2005, 12:07 AM   #55
chippa6
Novice Professional

Quote:
Feeling like my problem was solved, i put the DVD into the DVD player and it works. Great Quality. Happy Camper? No not really. Now I can't figure out how to remove those bloody subtitles. Arghhhhhhhh. Somehow, I have sub titles in my movie. Any idea's on how to remove these?
I use dvdshrink ONLY. it has provisions to remove subtitles. although make sure you take all foreign ones and make sure you leave ENGLISH and UNSPECIFIED. i tried to play a movie which i removed all the subtitles and it had a language selection before the menu. becuase i removed ALL the languages i couldn't get past the language setup.

Cheers
Chippa
Old 10-04-2005, 12:11 AM   #56
chippa6
Novice Professional

Quote:
I think I'e got a problem. My pc keeps turning itself off during a burn. I have to let it sit for a few minutes before thruning it back on, or it keeps switching itself off. I hate computers. Now I have to work out what hell this means. Grrrrrr
I had a problem that after 2 burns in a row it would lead in then stop. I thought it was a power supply problem. I later found out that a firmware update solved the problem. similar to a bios flash - it flashes the built in drivers? for the drive - I now have continuous burning and no coasters - this is on a 18 month old burner also.

Chippa
Old 10-04-2005, 12:39 AM   #57
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use CloneDVD2 (Rips off DVD... shrinks to 4.7GB Disc and burns onto disc all in 1 program) with AnyDVD (which is a background running program for removing copy protection).... everything that i have burnt has worked.

Backed up a movie tonight... took just under half an hour on a P4 2.4 512RAM
Old 10-04-2005, 09:54 AM   #58
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Backed up a movie tonight... took just under half an hour on a P4 2.4 512RAM
Similar specs to my pc. Sounds about right.

Yeah some of the big movies or onew with lots of features can take a while.

Old 10-04-2005, 12:55 PM   #59
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah they do... Im more used to it taking over an hour with my old burner... new one is much faster though

Last edited by Perana XR8; 10-04-2005 at 12:58 PM.
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post