Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-07-2006, 02:51 PM   #31
blue fairy
I've become, impossible.

Nick, it is going to depend on what she likes. Set yourself a budget and go window shopping alone or with a mate. Suss out the prices and styles you like.

Then, either make an executive decision and buy something, take her shopping with you, or another option... Buy a diamond and give it to her. That way she can have it made in any style she would like.

I think 2k and upwards is a fair figure for an engagement ring. Afterall, this is a serious commitment and will be one of the most important purchases of your life.

Good Luck Mate. If you need any help... I'm not too far away. I can happily explain the 4C's in great detail if you are interested.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:36 PM   #32
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

E mail me a pic or two of what your girlfriend likes(and her finger size),and let me know your budget and i can make the ring to suit and i promise she'll love it! I am a trade quallified jeweller with over 26 years experience. DON'T GET SUCKED IN BY A MICHEAL HILL,AMIES OR ANY BIG RETAILERS "SALE"
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2006, 03:48 PM   #33
Mrs Coyote
Phantom XR6

I got my engagment ring from K Smith & Son in the main street Caloundra. You could just head up there on a Saturday and have alook in their window while walking the main street. These jewellers that have been around for ever and second generation jeweller. They give great deals have unusual and the standard type of rings at a good price. They also custom design. We bought my engagement ring out of the window and then had them make the wedding ring to suit. I still go to Caloundra from Brisbane for anything to do with my jewellery or buying more. And if Chris knows whats good for him he will keep travelling.

Nothing is ever too much trouble for them.
Mrs Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2006, 05:17 PM   #34
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Here's my thoughts on this quite important matter.

1. Don't be fooled! The value of the ring does NOT equal the value of your love.
If you buy her little treats each week, such as flowers, pay attention to her, treat her with respect and honour her, that my friend is worth far more over the timeline of a marriage than the cost of the ring.

2. Buy what you can afford, set the budget that suits you!
I liked the idea of setting a price limit and having her choose a number she likes and you choose from those.

3. There will always be a woman with a more expensive ring than your partner's.
You don't have to compete.

4. Remember, you are getting Married, not Weddinged!
The engagement and wedding process is beautiful and should be cherished, but that only lasts a short time. Marriage lasts a lifetime. Well at least it's supposed to.

My final advise:
Spend the same amount on pre-marriage counselling that you actually do on the ring! I promise you, both are special purchases, but one will be a far better purchase than the other!

All the very best with the many decisions before you and your partner. I hope that you have a very blessed, joyful and secure life together.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2006, 09:57 PM   #35
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nick...buy what you can afford and you both like....in other words...pop the question buy the ring.My two cents.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2006, 11:09 PM   #36
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

I popped out a $25 kliens ring on the big night, , then let her design what she wanted.... 4 Weeks salary is the normal....

If you go custom made, , then dont forget you will need another bout $1000 for a wedding ring to suit the engagement ring....

Then more again for the eternity ring to match ! ! ! !

AC/DC
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 01:20 AM   #37
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

It was Debeers (spelling?) that brought to life the "2 months wage" idea.
They control all that is the diamond & would like people to believe it's quite rare etc etc. Once they'd started producing quite enough and wouldn't bring the price down they then came up with that.
Find a GOOD jeweller (exclude tiffanys) and look at them under that microscope thing. It's then that you'll see how impure it is.
Spending less that 5k and you're guaranteed some inclusions (dirt / Carbon)VS1 to 2 etc is very slight inclusions in the diamond. This isn't a bad thing. You'll only see the grains of dirt under that microscope but these inclusions coupled with how it's cut will determine how shiny it looks.
I'd rather purchase a .5 carat with VERY slight inclusions than a huge 1 carat that's dirty.
Set a budget because there's always going to be something JUST that bit better for another 500 to 750.
Your love is not determined by what you spend on it.
I intended to post a link to a thread on a vogue forum that was over 100 pages long but it was deleted. It had some women stating they would NOT wear a ring if it didn't cost their partner a years wages. Some of the stuff in that thread was terrible. (gold diggers)
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 10:47 AM   #38
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

2 months salary nick, although that's somewhat of an american notion (2 months wages after ten percent goes to your church )

Seems like a reasonable "ball park" though.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:08 AM   #39
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADED6
It was Debeers (spelling?) that brought to life the "2 months wage" idea.
Yeah, De Beers is a massive African diamond company. I think they started in the 1800s or early 1900s with some of those huge diamond mines.

Quote:
I'd rather purchase a .5 carat with VERY slight inclusions than a huge 1 carat that's dirty.
I very much agree with you - quality not quantity. However, 1 carat is not what I would call huge, but I guess it depends.

Quote:
Set a budget because there's always going to be something JUST that bit better for another 500 to 750.
Thats right, there is always something just that bit better. Just figure out what you are prepared to spend and dont go over it. I know many girls who have conned their other halves into spending WAY more than they intended, on engagement rings, wedding and jewellery generally.

Quote:
Your love is not determined by what you spend on it.
Thats very true, but sometimes people buy engagement rings as an heirloom as well. I know I wouldnt really want to pass on a cheapie ring to my daughter when she gets married, or to my son to give to his fiance one day... And like it or not, sometimes the ring is a statement. As I said with my ex, he clearly didnt really want to get engaged but had to say yes (in his eyes) when his g/f asked him... so he got a cheapie ring with which he made his point... its wrong I know. The ***** should have just said no. But people do actually make those kinds of statements with rings, and so often there is at least a perception about it.

I know that if Eamon could not afford to buy me a ring, I would not care one bit. I dont need one at all to know how he feels.

Quote:
I intended to post a link to a thread on a vogue forum that was over 100 pages long but it was deleted. It had some women stating they would NOT wear a ring if it didn't cost their partner a years wages. Some of the stuff in that thread was terrible. (gold diggers)
Thats disgraceful. Thats basically $60K, $100K rings or even more (based on "average" salaries or highe"r).... I dont think even royalty get that... how silly. And yes, if thats all they want, then they are focussing on the wrong thing!

By the way Chris, little Jacey is absolutely adorable in your avatar! I hope everything is going well, and say hi to Tamara for us!!!

Jac

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 01:31 PM   #40
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Well, the Mrs just stuffed her chances by dragooning me in to going halves in an FBT daily driver.

On the upside, I told her that the car purchase would delay the rock purchase, and not only did she accept the delay, but she said that when I can afford to ask, she'll say yes!

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 01:36 PM   #41
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Well ... to me that sounds like a WIN/WIN situation to me ...
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 01:43 PM   #42
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
Well, the Mrs just stuffed her chances by dragooning me in to going halves in an FBT daily driver.

On the upside, I told her that the car purchase would delay the rock purchase, and not only did she accept the delay, but she said that when I can afford to ask, she'll say yes!
Good stuff!

I must say, I would MUCH rather a car/mods than a ring (and no, that does not mean I dont love Eamon!).... we are probably about to spend $10+ on our car soonish, and when we have been talking about that, it honestly never occurred to me that I could get an engagement ring instead!

13s...... ring..... 13s...... ring...... not a hard choice for me at the moment!

Hehe.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 02:00 PM   #43
XR6Gal
Just Super Happy now :)

Quote:

Aww that's awesome Nick, a new car! hehehe

Equally as awesome though that she said that Good stuff

PhantomBA XR6 (Sold), now a VW owner (don't hold it against me )

& also a CM Valiant Wagon, gotta love the old Val's
see her progress here
NOW SOLD :( but now have a
Honda CBR250 Motorbike
XR6Gal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 02:31 PM   #44
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Aw... group hug!

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 02:32 PM   #45
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Of course, I'm talking about the FBT...

Old 10-07-2006, 05:17 PM   #46
MrFlibbles
ill have a beer milkshake

my now fiance, worked in a jewellery store... made it real hard for me to choose a ring for her! unfortunately she liked one that cost around 3 months wages (before tax!) but she worked there and got a good discount so it only cost 2 and a half months wages! i guess it all depends on what your willing to spend.....
1969 Isuzu Florian
1976 Chev luv (really its just a rebadged Isuzu!)
1980 Isuzu KB 4x4
MrFlibbles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 05:40 PM   #47
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Well, sounds to me that you've already proposed.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:50 PM   #48
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally351
Does it really matter what it costs? Take her window shopping and get an idea of the style of ring she likes. She is going to be wearing it for a long time, so a ring she is proud to wear is more important than how much it cost. Having said that, you still need to have a $$ figure in your head that you are willing to spend. Personally I wont be spending any more than about $700 on the engagement/wedding ring set. But then again it will be my second marriage and we will have a total of 5 kids in the house, so the cash is needed elsewhere.
Completely agree with that, me not knowing one ring from another they all look the same to me, and I couldnt justify paying $1000's for one. There is more meaning to it than a dollar figure. They wont love you any less for not spending $2000+ on one, and if so it's a bit harsh

My missus picked out a pretty plain looking ring with the price tag attached, so I bought one that looked similar to it, and it was well under a grand. She didnt like the crappy chunky looking ones, just a simple one and she loves it. Only thing is I took in a toe ring as a size guide to buy it...size was way off lol

Good thing is wedding rings are meant to be cheaper!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2006, 09:59 PM   #49
blue fairy
I've become, impossible.

Awww!
Yay for the car, and tripple yay about your long term goals and her positive views!

Old 10-07-2006, 10:07 PM   #50
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Quote:
Now you are really going to get PWNZ3D (tm).

:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 02:25 PM   #51
Ringo
I see you....

What is an 'FBT daily driver' exactly....
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 02:33 PM   #52
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Fringe Benefit Tax Daily Driver?
Old 14-07-2006, 02:45 PM   #53
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

http://www.fpv.com.au/theheritage/fa...ytickford.aspx
Old 14-07-2006, 03:51 PM   #54
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

What he said!

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

Old 14-07-2006, 04:06 PM   #55
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

And here I am thinking it was Fringe benefit tax! : :
Old 14-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #56
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Told her that she could spend up to $10,000, she only spent $6200 on the ring, 23 diamonds set in platinum, custom made, independently valued at $8,300, then on our honeymoon I brought her a $2900 (platinum) tiffany’s eternity ring.
I then spent $1,000 on my wedding ring (viking runes hand carved in a platinum band)
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 03:03 PM   #57
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

A year and a bit down the track, bugger me, I did it! Engaged as of earlier this week...

Thanks for all the advice way back when, guys...

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

Old 16-11-2007, 03:23 PM   #58
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice way back when, guys...
And yet you are still getting married.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 03:25 PM   #59
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

All your life are belong to Alyson...

Old 16-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #60
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeek
All your life are belong to Alyson...
As if hes marrying a girl. We all know Bish is the blushing Bride to be.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post