Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-06-2016, 09:43 PM   #31
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 
Default Re: Norway potentially to ban petrol vehicles by 2025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Short answer yes. Really the special ingredient lithium is quite prevalent. In terms of the battery, most are around 98% recyclable.

But you probably don't want to recycle them anyway, once they are done in a car just use them as energy storage for houses. Say your 80kwh degrades 40% over 20 years to be only 50kwh then you have a great home storage battery as most houses need around 7-15kwh batteries to be self sufficient off solar. At that point the battery will last a very long time as the charge and discharge rates are much much gentler than cars.

Compare that to petrol, every litre you burn in your car is gone forever - never to be reused. At 110kmh you are burning close to 10kilos of petrol an hour.
Lithium is the next big mineral to kick off mining in WA. There's craploads of it here.
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post