Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #31
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: How to passify an aggressive German Shepard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbl3b33
I will not even give a smart **** comment to that statement. Enough said.
so instead you will implie one with an un-necessary comment about not making one? Good work

My point is that like kids, and although not born completely a 'blank canvas' (taking into account some genetics which may include an increased likelihood to disease etc) a dog isnt born vicious without a reason, whether that reason is ill natured or intended is not the point, and i dare suggest it wasnt in this case.

If someones kid was naughty, you would look at its parents parenting skills/style. If a dog is nasty you blame the breed? If you look at attachment theory re: children, this theory could be easily transferable to dogs (and other animals), and why not, a lot of basic human behaviour research started with rats inc. positive re-enforcement...

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #32
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

came across stray rotti.. how cool stuck him in backyard...

rotti went all flipped out.. crazy and territorial...

stuck with crazy dog in backyard...

spent next two weeks rolling good o's out the back door to him...

he came good.... woof...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #33
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYHSV
Hi guys and thanks for your imput thus far.

CSV8 - thanks for the link mate. Ive been in contact with that organisation and they forwarded a few tips to me aswel.

Cheers again.
What advice did they give you?
Old 19-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #34
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 

Ceaser Millan aka "The Dog Whisperer" is the man! Just surf the net or youtube for his vids and he'll give you tons of hot tips on how to work with aggressive dogs and how to work with and change their nature. Here's an example of one Sheppard.....this guys must have been a dog in his previous life!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3XrKkrAZpY

TruBlu351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #35
b2tf
not here much anymore

It might just be me but the Shepherd isn't at fault here - it is doing what it was bred to do. They are loyal and they see it (and always will) as their job to protect their master - which in time will include you too.

I'm more than happy with mine, trust him 100% around kids and other people when they are in the right circumstances (i.e. brought in by us and shown to be friends). If you jump the fence I will not call an ambulance, but other than that you could not ask for a better dog.
Old 19-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #36
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
It might just be me but the Shepherd isn't at fault here - it is doing what it was bred to do. They are loyal and they see it (and always will) as their job to protect their master - which in time will include you too.

I'm more than happy with mine, trust him 100% around kids and other people when they are in the right circumstances (i.e. brought in by us and shown to be friends). If you jump the fence I will not call an ambulance, but other than that you could not ask for a better dog.

Agreed B2. Thats the exact reason why I want him. I know hes doing what I expect and want. Though the challange for me is to get him too view me now as the master.
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #37
gtfpv
GT

throw the gun in the bin . it aint needed . MY ADVICE . when the dogs are in the same place as you two . i think i would move one in 1st . probably the shephard . so you and the missus inside the dog outside . now with your missus , go out the back , and ignore the dog . dont look at it , dont go near it , . do this a few times . he will get used to you and know your not sucking up to him . eventually he will come to you for a pat . after that . approach gently and look away . then try the lead , get your missus to put it on . eventually ( 2 weeks ) all should be good . the other dog you can introduce perahps one day after the shephard is in .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #38
kinksta
Luxojet

To me it doesn't sound like aggression at all. There is a fair difference between aggression, nervousness, being scared, etc. You can find plenty of info on Dogzonline or DogForum, they are great forums. But I can see why it would be intimidating due to the size of a GSD.

Our 9 month old GSD does things that make some people a little uneasy, but they have never been around powerful breeds, and she is nearly 30kg too haha!

A lot of smaller dogs do things that are aggression based but because of their size it is seen as cute. If you have any problems, just consult a pro..
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 12:33 AM   #39
1TUFFUTE
Banned

some huge things to remember around dogs...espescially larger dogs...they need a chain of command and they need structure and rules.
Dogs will always challenge leadership so getting in early is verrry important. Your large older dog should be given treats and fed first so he doest challenge the puppies.
Unfortunately if he sees your wife as his boss it could be impossible to change that despite you feedin him.
Dogs will take food off anyone despite what most think is an endearing gesture.

Some dogs also take offense at what your wearing...stripes..uniforms and so on so you may have to sus that out a bit but they assosiate the patterns with a trauma or much less theyve been thru.
Always let dominant dogs smell and check you out before patting..and let them see you endearing with your partner..this can take awhile

...anyway my laptops about to die..ill have a squiz back here later...

Last edited by 1TUFFUTE; 20-12-2011 at 12:39 AM.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 01:40 AM   #40
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
some huge things to remember around dogs...espescially larger dogs...they need a chain of command and they need structure and rules.
Dogs will always challenge leadership so getting in early is verrry important. Your large older dog should be given treats and fed first so he doest challenge the puppies.
Unfortunately if he sees your wife as his boss it could be impossible to change that despite you feedin him.
Dogs will take food off anyone despite what most think is an endearing gesture.

Some dogs also take offense at what your wearing...stripes..uniforms and so on so you may have to sus that out a bit but they assosiate the patterns with a trauma or much less theyve been thru.
Always let dominant dogs smell and check you out before patting..and let them see you endearing with your partner..this can take awhile

...anyway my laptops about to die..ill have a squiz back here later...
Ok, so what if though Im letting him sniff me and before I evem move he goes in for a bite? Whats the next step?
Old 20-12-2011, 09:43 AM   #41
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

CRYHSV - have you spent much time around the Shepherd with or without your partner?

As Austin said GSD's are very protective of their owner, if he sees you as a threat or coming between the two of you thats where you will have issues.

Try going on a few walks together with the dog, show you can be trusted, once he starts to get more comfortable with you show him some attention and it should all be fine, iits a matter of time and him being used to having you around.

As for your Boxer, Neutral ground like a park, let them meet eachother in a controlled situation (Not off lead to start with..) go for a walk with them that way their focus isn't 100% on the meeting, after time (maybe a few walks where they start to get a bit excited to see eachother) you can try some off lead stuff, let them have a play.

If it's anything like my Shepherd within about 30 seconds he will make clear he is the boss, 99% of the time the other dog submits within this time and say ok i'm lower then you and they just run eachother silly playing until they can't play anymore.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #42
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
CRYHSV - have you spent much time around the Shepherd with or without your partner?

As Austin said GSD's are very protective of their owner, if he sees you as a threat or coming between the two of you thats where you will have issues.

Try going on a few walks together with the dog, show you can be trusted, once he starts to get more comfortable with you show him some attention and it should all be fine, iits a matter of time and him being used to having you around.

As for your Boxer, Neutral ground like a park, let them meet eachother in a controlled situation (Not off lead to start with..) go for a walk with them that way their focus isn't 100% on the meeting, after time (maybe a few walks where they start to get a bit excited to see eachother) you can try some off lead stuff, let them have a play.

If it's anything like my Shepherd within about 30 seconds he will make clear he is the boss, 99% of the time the other dog submits within this time and say ok i'm lower then you and they just run eachother silly playing until they can't play anymore.
Hey FPV,

No not really. Being as aggressive as he is, a soon as I part I do my best to avoid him and just walk away. Im thinking the whole hanging around with my Mrs and her family whilst he is in the back round to then slowly move on to bigger steps seems to be the key.
Old 20-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #43
kinksta
Luxojet

It doesn't sound like aggression unless he is actually rushing up to you, baring teeth, ears back, or biting you at every chance.

He knows you are avoiding him, just pump your chest out and act normally around him. You can't let him sense your weekness, but as I have said, if you are unsure it is best to consult a pro..

Although, recent studies have shown that animals can even tell if someone is pretending to do a certain behaviour.
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #44
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

SIT Bear !!!
Old 21-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #45
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing a .22 cal microchip wont fix,
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #46
MarkAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorv8
Check Chains are cruel, never used them and never will.
Only when used by untrained or stupid people.

For the OP - Never ever pat the back of an aggressive dogs head - placing your hand there is an aggressive move to the dog.

Walking with dog on a correctly fitted check chain ie approximately 50mm of free running slack when fitted, will only work if the owner is with you and makes a point of handing the dog over to you.

But

In the end an aggressive dog is an aggressive dog and its in the hard wiring - which is always reverted to under stress. A green dream may eventually be the kindest outcome for everybody.

I was a senior instructor with Penrith Kennel & Obed. Club and my own dog has obedience titles.
MarkAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #47
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
SIT Bear !!!
That is ridiculously cute!! Love his ears
Old 22-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #48
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorv8
Check Chains are cruel, never used them and never will.
Actually, these are in fact better than a typical flat strap fixed type dog collar and IIRC are mandatory for use at dog show etc.

Think about how these chains work vs a fixed, flat strap collar. Naturally, you have to use them correctly and they should be removed when they arn't being used.

Agreed with the back of your hand approach, this is seen as none threatening to the dog. Use things like Smackos ot whatever tid bits the dog likes too.

As other have said dogs are pack mentaility based, you need to get on top of it reasonably quickly otherwise you will be his ***** ;)
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 06:36 PM   #49
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

About the same as mad mother in law except smaller and cooked piece of streak..Lol...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post