Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-04-2010, 07:28 AM   #31
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
STILL no HID/projector whatever-they-are-called headlights?? Ford are having a laugh. Holden have had these standard in high models since VZ ffs.

Turbos get the higher torque rated version of the ZF, it must cost more.

Unless I have missed something Ford aren't even referring to this as a Mk2 or series 2 update. It’s still being referred to as FG in a similar way to what the VE has gone through.

I must say I am underwhelmed all things considered. The FG is nearly two years old that key age where original owners are looking at renewing, there is the 50th thing going on, for mine I would have thought the temptation to celebrate with a bit more of a refresh would have been a good shot in the arm.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 07:41 AM   #32
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Unless I have missed something Ford aren't even referring to this as a Mk2 or series 2 update. It’s still being referred to as FG in a similar way to what the VE has gone through.

I must say I am underwhelmed all things considered. The FG is nearly two years old that key age where original owners are looking at renewing, there is the 50th thing going on, for mine I would have thought the temptation to celebrate with a bit more of a refresh would have been a good shot in the arm.
It also shows you how tight the budget is, like Holden makeover of the VE it's all under the skin.

On Euro IV I-6 decision:
Looking at replacing I-6 with V6 and making 600 people redundant would have put an
icy shiver through Marin Burela as it would have forced FoA $200 million further into the red.
And that would have been before he even started looking at relative engine costs...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 07:46 AM   #33
red_hotxr6
Banned

A move in the right direction. Nice...
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #34
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
STILL no HID/projector whatever-they-are-called headlights?? Ford are having a laugh. Holden have had these standard in high models since VZ ffs.

Turbos get the higher torque rated version of the ZF, it must cost more.
Since VY in 2002 you mean :P
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 08:30 AM   #35
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:

Looks like they are following Holden.. The VE has not has a freshen up in 4 years nearly, seems the days of Series II / Mark II upgrades are over. :alien2:
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #36
anto
Za Dom spremni

sounds like some nifty improvements all round to an already fantastic car.
things like "fast glass" and HID lights whatever the hell they are mean nothing to most people and ford know it, they are not major selling points as compared to the ZF and better fuel economy for example.

now looking forward to the official V8 information release :
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #37
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Disappointed that EPAS didn't make it onto the 6pot models. ZF as standard is a better trade off than a half-cheeked trim and bumber change.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #38
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Looks like they are following Holden.. The VE has not has a freshen up in 4 years nearly, seems the days of Series II / Mark II upgrades are over. :alien2:

Thats the way I read it. Budget constraints are a given in this environment.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 08-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #39
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

The I6 is a difficult engine to kill. redundancies vs new engine development vs I6 emissions development the bean counters will be busy both here and abroad
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #40
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
The I6 is a difficult engine to kill. redundancies vs new engine development vs I6 emissions development the bean counters will be busy both here and abroad
Makes you think that Dearborn is curiously watching how FoA will manage this situation,
Australian revenue is nickel and dime stuff so as long as it doesn't cost the company
I think they will let Burela run his own race...
Old 08-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #41
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default Ford updates FG Falcon

This update is so low key; it makes you wonder if anyone will notice (especially with VF around the corner).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT CAMPBELL
Better fuel economy and more features for the updated FG Falcon, but side impact safety still lacking on sedans.

Ford has released an updated Falcon that uses up to 8.5 per cent less fuel, but the revised FG model still lacks potentially life-saving curtain airbags on the volume selling models, while prices have increased on all Falcon models.

Ford has fitted a new tweaked-for-efficiency six-speed automatic gearbox as standard to all Falcon models; the sporty XR6 and XR8 models which retain a six-speed manual ‘box as standard. But the XR8 is due to get a new 5.0-litre V8 engine (codenamed Coyote) in June.

The 4.0-litre inline six-cylinder engine – with 195kW of power – also has a revised exhaust system to help it meet stricter new emissions regulations (Euro IV emissions) that come into force in Australia on July 1.

Ford says that fuel consumption will drop to a claimed 9.9L/100km for all regular (non-turbo) six-cylinder Falcon sedans, which represents a decrease of between 2.0 and 5.7 per cent.

The Falcon Utes gain the biggest drops in fuel consumption (8.5 per cent) also tick a few boxes in the safety checklist, with XR6 and XR6 Turbo both receiving side airbags as standard.

However, the Falcon is still the only locally made large car not to get curtain airbags on all models, with Ford charging $300 for a feature regarded as one of the biggest life savers in side impact collisions.

“[Curtain airbags] are available as a very reasonably priced option for those who want to select them,” said spokesman Justin Lacy. “Our car is a five-star rated car; it was the first Australian-built five-star rated car.”

Other new additions to the updated FG Falcon range include Bluetooth and iPod integration as standard across all Falcon models.

The base-model Falcon Ute will also retain a column-shift automatic to allow for a bench front seat for three occupants.

Some Falcon derivatives miss the cut, though.

The rear-wheel-drive Territory is still stuck with the old-school four-speed automatic, while the AWD versions already have the six-speed automatic transmission. But as Drive has previously reported the six-speed automatic is likely to spread to all Territory models (bar the still-to-be-released-diesel) in the near future.

The V8-powered XR8 (both sedan and Ute) is not affected by this update, and Ford says that “Details regarding plans for the iconic XR8 nameplate will be revealed at a later date”.

As Drive has previously reported, Ford’s V8 models are expected to receive a bigger update – including the introduction of a Mustang-sourced V8 engine – later in the year. The Falcon range is also expected to get a supercharged V8 to better take the performance fight to rival Holden and HSV models.

Prices increases between $100 and $1100 across the Falcon sedan range, with the base model XT starting at over $40,000 ($40,290 plus on-road costs).

The other price changes are as follows (all prices are manufacturer’s list price, before on-road costs):

G6 - $43,490 – up $500
G6E - $50,390 – up $500
G6E Turbo - $58,990 – up $1100
XR6 - $42,990 – up $100
XR6 Turbo - $48,990 – up $600
All styleside well-back Falcon Utes have increased by $500, while cab-chassis models have gone up by $600.
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...0407-rrrk.html
Old 08-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #42
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default Cleaner, thriftier Falcons on sale

Quote:
Safer, Bluetooth-bearing Euro IV Falcon sedans and Utes are here... At a price

Naturally aspirated six-cylinder engined Ford Falcons are now Euro IV-compliant as well as more economical -- and it is all largely due to across-the-board adoption of the ZF six-speed automatic transmission.

Falcon XT, G6, G6E and XR6 all scrape in below 10L/100km with an average consumption figure of 9.9L/100km Previously all but the G6E (10.1 L/100km), which was already fitted with the six-speed auto, claimed 10.5L/100km. This equates to an improvement of 5.7 per cent (two per cent for the G6E).

The CO2 emission figure is now 236g/km, which warrants a 5.5 star greenhouse rating for the Falcon.

Falcon utes are also available with the six-speed ZF, which means an 8.5 per cent improvement in average fuel consumption on auto Ute, R6 and XR6 versions.

The new auto signals the death knell for the old five-speed box on petrol-engined Falcons. It is standard on XT, G6, G6E and G6E Turbo sedans, and optional on base Ute, R6 Ute, XR6 Ute and XR6 Turbo Ute. As standard, XR sedans and all Utes come with the six-speed manual Tremec gearbox.

The adoption of the six-speed ZF auto is paralleled by other refinements targetting improved economy and emissions. These include software changes in the Powertrain Control Module, such as optimised cold start and warm up calibration, optimised hot idle calibration, revised pedal progression to provide a more progressive and linear launch, minor transmission shift schedule changes for optimised upshift and cruise gear selection, and enhanced Deceleration Fuel Shut-Off (DFSO) for optimal urban fuel economy.

Other improvements in Falcons include the across-the-board adoption -- sedans and utes - of Bluetooth connectivity, as well as iPod integration. XR6 and XR6 Turbo utes now also get side-impact head/thorax airbags as standard.

Entry-level utes also gain an optional column-shift auto that enables three passengers to travel in the front.

The cruncher is the price.

The base XT and the XR6 Turbo sedans jump by $600 to $40,290 and $48,990 respectively, while G6 and G6E are up $500 to $43,490 and $50,390 respectively. G6E Turbo takes a bigger $1100 hike to $58,990, while the XR6 is up by a mere $100.

Utes are similarly affected: Price rises vary between $500 and $600 depending on model.

Ford softens the blow by saying that, on the R6 for example, the $500 increase is offset by more than "$1,000 worth of safety and technology features."

It's a tactic similar to the one adopted for Falcon pricing at the beginning of the year, offsetting an effective price increase with a change in specification.

Manufacturer's list prices, not including statutory and delivery charges:

Falcon sedans
XT 40,290
G6 43,490
G6E 50,390
G6E Turbo 58,990
XR6 42,990
XR6 Turbo 48,990

Falcon Utes
Base (CC) 31,095
Base (SSB) 31,395
R6 (CC) 33,095
R6 (SSB) 33,395
XR6 (CC) 37,890
XR6 (SSB) 38,190
XR6 Turbo (SSB) 42,190
http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2010...-on-sale-18952
Old 08-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #43
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Usually three years between models, FG April 2008 to April 2011?

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 08-04-2010 at 01:57 PM. Reason: wrong button, apologies
Old 08-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #44
HSE2

Ideally, in a perfect world, when you know you have money to spend you spread it over a time span that will return, potentially the highest return.

Taking into account lease and warranty cycles any time after two years is a key period for new car owners to consider upgrading.

When manufacturers spend money to bring improvements it’s often a challenge to get consumer to appreciate they are stepping into something that is justifiably better than what they have. It costs money no matter what you do. You either have to spend it on the product in a self explanatory way or spend it promoting the product efficiently and in terms that the consumer will embrace and accept.

The life cycle also depends how the product is perceived. For the VE the interior is well over due for a makeover because it started life as an also ran.

For Ford being able to compete visually with VF should be mandatory. The massive free kick Ford has given them in that arena is something that needs to be addressed.

If Holden were to introduce VF this year then Ford has made a mistake not going further with this update. Obviously if they did, it would mean less next time, but you have to spend money when your product is deficient in the eyes of the consumer relative to surrounding offerings, and to an extent, as seen on this site, Ford internal products aren't helping with this issue.

Imports are helping age the Falcon package with what is and isn't available. The question becomes a matter of timing.

Fords/ FPV Boss engine life is an example of how not to invest for return.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #45
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Usually three years between models, FG April 2008 to April 2011?
BA - 2002 to 2004
BA2 - 2004 - 2005
BF - 2005 - 2006
BF2 - 2006 - 2008

don't see many three years there
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #46
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto
sounds like some nifty improvements all round to an already fantastic car.
things like "fast glass" and HID lights whatever the hell they are mean nothing to most people and ford know it, they are not major selling points as compared to the ZF and better fuel economy for example.

now looking forward to the official V8 information release :
I quite like "Fast Glass", its on my Dad's 03 Mazda 323 and my 09 Fiesta, those cars cost $23,000 and $18,000 when new, why isn't it on a $37,000 car? Its handy on a foggy morning and you leave for work, press the button down once and it goes down automatically and now you can see out of the right hand window, should be on the left hand one too I reckon.

Its all those little finishing touches that go a long way for me I reckon. I like how iPod integration is now standard, I hope they mean USB port with iPod controllable through steering wheel controls, not just a crappy AUX jack.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #47
just_pazz
Ford Convert

In regards to fast glass what's so hard about holding the button down for a few seconds?
just_pazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 02:17 PM   #48
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_pazz
In regards to fast glass what's so hard about holding the button down for a few seconds?
Its not hard, its just annoying. Whats so hard about changing your own gears that you need an automatic?
Old 08-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #49
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
If Holden were to introduce VF this year then Ford has made a mistake not going further with this update. Obviously if they did, it would mean less next time, but you have to spend money when your product is deficient in the eyes of the consumer relative to surrounding offerings, and to an extent, as seen on this site, Ford internal products aren't helping with this issue.

Imports are helping age the Falcon package with what is and isn't available. The question becomes a matter of timing.
I agree completely with this, Ford thinking they can get by with a couple of 50th Anniversary Limited Editions is crazy. I can’t imagine what they're going to put in them with the specification levels already increasing across the range. If anything this update means the difference between a XT and a G6E is much smaller.

I would have though the Tech Pack becoming standard would be a precursor to SYNC technology being made available, but with no series II all bets are off. Has anyone figured out why the G6ET has gone up so much?
Old 08-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #50
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
BA - 2002 to 2004
BA2 - 2004 - 2005
BF - 2005 - 2006
BF2 - 2006 - 2008

don't see many three years there
Look at it this way:
BA/BAII 2002 - 2005
BF/BFII 2005 - 2008

Model as in BA or BF = Series 1 + Series II
Old 08-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #51
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Base model utes just getting more expensive, probably cost more than some 4wd competition. Still one of the best utes in the world though, just needs a bit more ground clearance to make them more practical.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 02:37 PM   #52
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
Has anyone figured out why the G6ET has gone up so much?
I'd be careful with rising prices on things, Honda did that with the CRV and priced themselves out of the market and really shot themselves in the foot, just recently they lowered it again. I suppose though in that segment theres not really that much to choose from.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #53
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Is 'fast glass' only left out on the XT?

I'm almost positive I've had it on the last few Falcons I've owned. Just down though, not up.

My R32 had up and was futzing around with boxes while 'fast glassing' the window up. Closed the door with the back of my left arm and got the back of it caught in the top of the window and boy did it give it a squeeze. Was bruised for at least a week and due to the angle it got me, had to rely on the key fob to get it unstuck as I was unable to reach the panel on the door.

I like the idea of pressing the button once to lower the door but not a fan of doing it up, now.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #54
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I like the idea of pressing the button once to lower the door but not a fan of doing it up, now.
the door? you got a lambo or something? :P
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #55
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
I would have though the Tech Pack becoming standard would be a precursor to SYNC technology being made available, but with no series II all bets are off. Has anyone figured out why the G6ET has gone up so much?
Is it offering something standard that was otherwise an option in the FG?

Perhaps it was priced a little low and Ford didn't expect the popularity - or they're taking the opportunity to cash in a little on its popularity?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 02:47 PM   #56
just_pazz
Ford Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Its not hard, its just annoying. Whats so hard about changing your own gears that you need an automatic?
It just seems like nit picking to me.... hey I remember when we had to wind our windows up with our arms once. :
just_pazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #57
HSE2

Quote:
I agree completely with this, Ford thinking they can get by with a couple of 50th Anniversary Limited Editions is crazy. I can’t imagine what they're going to put in them with the specification levels already increasing across the range. If anything this update means the difference between a XT and a G6E is much smaller.

I guess it’s a question of balancing expectations against reality.

This "package message" hasn't been getting back to Ford for some time and the frustration can be seen with each passing model cycle.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #58
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ideally, in a perfect world, when you know you have money to spend you spread it over a time span that will return, potentially the highest return.

Taking into account lease and warranty cycles any time after two years is a key period for new car owners to consider upgrading.

When manufacturers spend money to bring improvements it’s often a challenge to get consumer to appreciate they are stepping into something that is justifiably better than what they have. It costs money no matter what you do. You either have to spend it on the product in a self explanatory way or spend it promoting the product efficiently and in terms that the consumer will embrace and accept.

The life cycle also depends how the product is perceived. For the VE the interior is well over due for a makeover because it started life as an also ran.

For Ford being able to compete visually with VF should be mandatory. The massive free kick Ford has given them in that arena is something that needs to be addressed.

Fords/ FPV Boss engine life is an example of how not to invest for return.
Spot on. My own case, 7/'08 G6ET, 21,000km, fully optioned, on 3 year finance terms where currently my payout is now lower then a good trade-in price so simply put I'm ready to buy in the next few months. But the next new G6ET is no different from what I've read so far, except for it's higher list price...so why should I roll-over into another? Now a G8E announcement would have me EFT a deposit to a dealer vehicle unseen.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 08-04-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 03:01 PM   #59
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JutroXR8
Interesting to see that the G6ET has increased most in value yet does not gain anything in this revision.
The cash cow of the range being asked to provide more "milk" I fear.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 03:12 PM   #60
MOND30
If You Seek AU

The "Global Open/Close" feature on my Mondeo is pretty good too - hold down the unlock button on the remote for 3 sec, and all 4 windows (and the sunroof) open fully. Great for a quick cool-down on hot days. Conversely hold down the lock button for 3 sec to close everything/anything that is still open.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5x..._OYiDekVUlmEhg
MOND30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post