Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-12-2005, 07:59 PM   #31
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder
Your wifes got a lead foot :hihi:

I had a mazda 6 for 2 weeks, one of the best cars i have driven and boy it had grunt, unfortunatuly i got the sh*ts with it after 2 weeks and got rid of it. My feet were too big for the small peddles. Kept hitting the gas when i meant to go for the brakes. :
Was the Mazda6 you had Manual or auto? I have the 5 Speed auto, and must say that I have never had a problem finding the breaks or the Throttle, and I have size 13 feet.

The grunt is there, however my Daily is a Territory, and compared to the Territory, I would rather an MPS, but alas, there is no Automatic MPS. Atleast its not towing the boat.

[on topic] I remember the (Ben) Lexcen, but from what I remember, they 'Toyotarised' the Commodore to a state where it became a Camry lookalike in the VP stage. I was a Ford fan by then, however I remember laughing when my Brother tried to convince me that Nissan made an XF ute. Anybody remember those?
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2005, 08:04 PM   #32
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

YES Nissan did make an XF ute. :yeees:

My Mazda 6 was the manual! If feet were like cleavage, mine would make Pamela Anderson look like an ironing board. :hihi:

Mine had serious grunt (surprised me) and what a great interior and super sound system.
Old 22-12-2005, 08:09 PM   #33
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
YES Nissan did make an XF ute. :yeees:

My Mazda 6 was the manual! If feet were like cleavage, mine would make Pamela Anderson look like an ironing board. :hihi:

Mine had serious grunt (surprised me) and what a great interior and super sound system.
Ford built the 'Nissan" ute, and it was also Ford that put the Nissan sticker on as well. From memory, they were built from 87 - 89 ... not a great success I'd guess.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2005, 08:16 PM   #34
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

It was a trade deal. Nissan also built cars for Ford.
Old 22-12-2005, 08:17 PM   #35
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

The Nissan Pintara was badged as the Ford Corsair
Old 22-12-2005, 08:17 PM   #36
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
0-60mph in 5.3 seconds? thats not too slow.
Where did you heard that? Lexus has only said "under 6 seconds," but that could mean anything from 5.99 down. And manufacturer claims don't necessarily get equalled (HSV are a prime example of that with some of their bogus claims over the years...).
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2005, 08:21 PM   #37
Quelp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Where did you heard that? Lexus has only said "under 6 seconds," but that could mean anything from 5.99 down. And manufacturer claims don't necessarily get equalled (HSV are a prime example of that with some of their bogus claims over the years...).
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....ticle_id=10390

"...It also has 306 ponies from an all-new 3.5-liter V-6, enough to make 60 mph in 5.1 seconds and sear your quarter-mile in 13.7 seconds at 104 mph..."
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2005, 08:23 PM   #38
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
The Nissan Pintara was badged as the Ford Corsair
Holly crap, I forgot about that gem. Who built the Ford Telstar ?

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 22-12-2005, 08:25 PM   #39
Quelp

Telstar = Mazda 626
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2005, 08:26 PM   #40
tex
Broken

roger that.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 22-12-2005, 08:27 PM   #41
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Also Ford Lazer = Mazda 323 :
Old 22-12-2005, 08:32 PM   #42
tex
Broken

At the risk of sounding like a real deckhead, wasn't there a Meteor as well... built by.... ???

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 22-12-2005, 08:33 PM   #43
niko
likes falcon's

i called it goss, NOT FACT :P

glad to see i kept some of u entertained today
Old 22-12-2005, 08:58 PM   #44
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
At the risk of sounding like a real deckhead, wasn't there a Meteor as well... built by.... ???
Ford built the meteor (what a hideous name)
Old 22-12-2005, 09:00 PM   #45
gmhdriver
Banned

Quote:
Ford built the meteor (what a hideous name)
No they didn't..

The Meteor was the sedan version of the Mazda 323.
gmhdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2005, 09:19 PM   #46
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

the meteor was Ford badged.
Old 22-12-2005, 09:23 PM   #47
gmhdriver
Banned

Yes, it was a rebadged Mazda 323 sedan.
Old 22-12-2005, 09:24 PM   #48
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Only under 6 sec's, if you think this is not performing, than you must not think much about other performance vehicle's in the same catogory, it would leave my XR8 for dead, and that's a part of the Ford Performance line up, Lexus is a performance/luxury arm of Toyota and good vehicle's at that.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2005, 09:33 PM   #49
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Where did you heard that? Lexus has only said "under 6 seconds,"
Its on their US website, under is350 performance. deeeerrr :P
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2005, 10:12 PM   #50
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Only under 6 sec's, if you think this is not performing, than you must not think much about other performance vehicle's in the same catogory, it would leave my XR8 for dead, and that's a part of the Ford Performance line up, Lexus is a performance/luxury arm of Toyota and good vehicle's at that.
IS350 is not a performance car by any means. It's a sporty luxury sedan. Ok, if it does 5.3 or 5.1 or whatever to 60mph... so does an M3. Punt them both around a corner at speed and see who's on top. Then compare braking etc etc.

XR8 and IS350 are in a totally different class, not comparable. Lexus is not a performance car arm and was never intended as one. It's morphed into something alot bigger then what their original intentions were (selling cars to wealthy Americans to try and steal some BMW, Mercedes and Audi market).

:
Old 22-12-2005, 10:28 PM   #51
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Hence my original post

Quote:
You try telling a Lexus owner that.
Its competitor to BMW, Audi, and even Mercede-Benz. Luxury over sports.
Old 23-12-2005, 12:31 PM   #52
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Laser Telstar and Meteor were all built in Australia by Ford (well..the last model of Laser and some specials such as the turbos were fully imported...)
Lasers and were built at Homebush NSW factory (Now Ateco warehouse I think), Meteors were simply early Laser sedans, saers were the Hatchback.

Laser/Meteors were the same as Mazda 323, with a few small changes -grille, lights badges and Telstars were based on 626. Over the years Ford worked on making their cars more and more different to the mazdas but early ones were almost identical both cosmetically and mechanically.

Ford were heavily involved in the design of both cars for Mazda, so they really were joint venture cars, where the two companies designed the cars together and each company sold their own versions.

Similarly the early Festivas (square body) were Kias and the later "round ones" were based on hatchback variant of mazdas popular 121 "bubble" cars. I think the front guards are interchangeable- umm- maybe.

Other "badge engineered" cars
(most of these were not joint designs tho)

Toyota Lexan= VP commodore
Holden Astra = Pulsar then toyota corolla
Holden Nova = toyota camry
Holden torana,= vauxhall viva at first
new holden viva = some korean sh!+ box
Ford Maveric = nissan patrol
nissan UTE= XF falcon ute
Ford Corsair = nissan pintara (project matilda, a joint project that failed)

Here endeth the lesson.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2005, 12:34 PM   #53
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
Laser Telstar and Meteor were all built in Australia by Ford (well..the last model of Laser and some specials such as the turbos were fully imported...)
Lasers and were built at Homebush NSW factory (Now Ateco warehouse I think), Meteors were simply early Laser sedans, saers were the Hatchback.

Laser/Meteors were the same as Mazda 323, with a few small changes -grille, lights badges and Telstars were based on 626. Over the years Ford worked on making their cars more and more different to the mazdas but early ones were almost identical both cosmetically and mechanically.

Ford were heavily involved in the design of both cars for Mazda, so they really were joint venture cars, where the two companies designed the cars together and each company sold their own versions.

Similarly the early Festivas (square body) were Kias and the later "round ones" were based on hatchback variant of mazdas popular 121 "bubble" cars.

Other "badge engineered" cars
(most of these were not joint designs tho)

Toyota Lexan= VP commodore
Holden Astra = Pulsar then toyota corolla
Holden Nova = toyota camry

Holden torana,= vauxhall viva at first
new holden viva = some korean sh!+ box
Ford Maveric = nissan patrol
nissan UTE= XF falcon ute
Ford Corsair = nissan pintara (project matilda, a joint project that failed)

Here endeth the lesson.
All Festivas were Kia built, even the later round one.

Holden Astra was a Nissan Pulsar. Holden Nova was a Toyota Corolla. Holden Apollo was the Toyota Camry.

As you were :yeees:

:
Old 23-12-2005, 12:51 PM   #54
gmhdriver
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
Laser Telstar and Meteor were all built in Australia by Ford
They were imported from Mazda in Japan in CKD form and were just assembled here. This was only until the mid to late 80's and after that they were fully imported.
Old 23-12-2005, 01:29 PM   #55
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Back on topic.

I read in the financial press the other day that GM (US) excecs were having discussions with Toyota (Japan) regarding "future technology sharing arrangements". The mate of a guy doing partime work at Holden might have picked up something along those lines. It was no secret.

As for Toyota buying out Holden - I can see some rationale for this:

1. Toyota has tried, and failed, to get a foothold in the Australian big car market before, with the Avalon. For all its massive worldwide resources, it just doesn't have a direct Commodore/Falcon competitior. Buying Holden fixes that.

2. Holden has some major holes in its product lineup, with no obvous remedies in sight. The Vectra is basically gone, so it has no quality mid size car. The new Astra is a good car, but it is too expensive for the market. The Viva and the Barina are rapidly being seen for what they are - substandard Daewoos with Holden badges. Barina is selling OK, but the margins on a $12,990 car are not where Holden wants to be. Since the Jakaroo was retired, they have no high-end 4WD either. Toyota has quality models that fill all these niches.

3. The fact that Holden is currrently one of the few profitable jewels in GMs crown would not prevent them selling it. These guys don't look 5 months down the track, they look 5 years and beyond. If GM could get 5 or 10 years of projected Holden earnings in one hit by selling the operation, they might be tempted. This would be particularly so if they couldn't see themselves being in a position to fund long term R&D for this small market.

There's lots of other issues that would have to be addressed, given the global role of Holden's V6 engine plant to the GM world and so forth, but I wouldn't say its impossible for Toyota to think about it. A detached observer, such as you or I, really have no idea what's going through those guys' heads. Who knows, even Holden's foothold in the middle east could attract Toyota's attention.

That's my two bucks worth.

Last edited by Abacus; 23-12-2005 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Spelling
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2005, 01:36 PM   #56
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYVYSS
A Friend of a Friends counsins, sisters, babysitter told me on good authority that Lada are purchasing FORD...Looks like improvements all rounds for the BLUE OVAL...
You obviously read my post on the LS1 forum earlier this year. I was told by an Holden employee at the start of this year that Holden would cease production of the 2 door Commodore at the end of this year. At the time I couldn't reveal my source hence the "my brother's mate told me".

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2005, 04:52 PM   #57
Cobalt Blue
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhdriver
They were imported from Mazda in Japan in CKD form and were just assembled here. This was only until the mid to late 80's and after that they were fully imported.
AR and AS Telstar were manufactured at Campbellfield 1983 to 1987. Their 2.0 l engines were made at Geelong in a $70 million plant which replaced the V8 plant (1971 to 1981).
Cobalt Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2005, 06:13 PM   #58
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

crock of , work for toyota they have subaru but no interest in holden at this point in time.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2005, 06:47 PM   #59
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Doubt it. And even if they do, who cares. They will still keep their own people and Toyota would probably keep it as a seperate entity. It would be dumb if Toyota tried to absorb the Holden brand into their own cars as all it would serve to do is polarise the Holden crowd anyway.

Quote: