Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-04-2016, 09:01 AM   #31
BFGasUte
Banned

Default Re: Hazard Lights on Moving Vehicles

Hello,

An indicator is 21 Watts. A tail light ? 4 Watts. A few Cars have a high intensity extra light at the back for Fog, but most Cars dont. I would rather a strobing brake light than indicators come on with a sudden stop. We are taking far too many stupid idea's from Europe with our ADR's.
BFGasUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2016, 12:14 PM   #32
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
Yes. Thats what theyre there for. The point that was totally missed was the hazards are used as an extra alert for severe braking. Like coming to a halt from cruise speed very quickly.
Oh, I totally understood your point. I didn't miss it at all. I just don't agree with it!

My point was that, IMHO, brake lights should be used for indication of when a car is braking (as that is what they were designed for, surprise, surprise) and hazard lights should be reserved for indication of a hazard that is beyond other functions already provided in the car.

And if someone is driving appropriate to the conditions, then a normal brake light, even in extremely heavy braking conditions, should still suffice without the need for hazard lights, as they will be able to see both the brake lights and the car in sufficient time to be able to react appropriately.

I tend to agree with others here that perhaps a strobed or staged brake light would be a better way to go at indicating extremely heavy braking than using the hazard lights.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2016, 01:15 PM   #33
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Hazard warning lights

Your vehicle’s hazard warning lights must not be used unless the vehicle is:

Stopped and obstructing the path of other vehicles or pedestrians
Slow-moving and obstructing other road users
Stopped in an emergency stopping lane
Stopped to sell a product such as food and refreshment
Driving in hazardous weather conditions
Fitted with hazard lights as part of an anti-theft or alcohol interlock device.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safe...and-horns.html
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-04-2016, 01:59 PM   #34
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
I note that reading a review of the Chinese made Haval H9 (which sounds more like a Lebanese desert) that "there are also curiosities, such as the hazard light flashers that kick in under heavy braking. It's a common safety addition to modern cars".

Is it in fact an addition to modern cars? I've never heard of this function for hazard lights.

The Victorian road regulations—ROAD SAFETY ROAD RULES 2009 - REG 221(a) says, "The driver of a vehicle fitted with hazard warning lights must not use the hazard warning lights, or allow them to be used, unless the vehicle is stopped and is obstructing, or is likely to obstruct, the path of other vehicles or pedestrians".

What's the real story? Hazard lights okay when moving or not?
If you are going to quote a road rule quote the whole rule not part of it, they can be used while a vehicle is moving.

221 Using hazard warning lights
The driver of a vehicle fitted with hazard warning
lights must not use the hazard warning lights, or
allow them to be used, unless—
(a) the vehicle is stopped and is obstructing, or
is likely to obstruct, the path of other
vehicles or pedestrians; or
(b) the vehicle is a slow-moving vehicle and is
obstructing, or is likely to obstruct, the path
of other vehicles or pedestrians
; or
(c) the vehicle is stopped in an emergency
stopping lane; or
(d) the driver stops the vehicle to sell a product
(for example, ice creams) that may attract
children onto the road; or
(e) the driver is driving in hazardous weather
conditions (for example, fog or smoke); or
(f) the vehicle is a bus carrying children, and the
driver stops the vehicle to drop off or pick up
a child and is required or permitted to
operate the hazard warning lights under
regulation 7 of the Bus Safety Regulations
2010; or
(g) the hazard warning lights are operating as
part of an anti-theft device or an alcohol
interlock fitted to the vehicle.

Interestingly Ford has deemed it legal for my PX Ranger to activate hazards under heavy braking conditions.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2016, 05:01 PM   #35
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFGasUte View Post
Hi,

Victoria has some strange rules, there used to be signs around Wagga going back some years saying to use them in Fog.
Couple years ago we were driving from Sydney to Brisbane, due to flooding we had to go the inland route.

Saw the same signs, and it happened to be foggy. I tell you what, it made it much easier to spot the car in front.

Definitely a good time for them to be on when the vehicle is moving.

Can't say i've ever noticed them come on on other cars while driving, other than a quick thank you flash.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2016, 05:54 PM   #36
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
Oh, I totally understood your point. I didn't miss it at all. I just don't agree with it!

My point was that, IMHO, brake lights should be used for indication of when a car is braking (as that is what they were designed for, surprise, surprise) and hazard lights should be reserved for indication of a hazard that is beyond other functions already provided in the car.

And if someone is driving appropriate to the conditions, then a normal brake light, even in extremely heavy braking conditions, should still suffice without the need for hazard lights, as they will be able to see both the brake lights and the car in sufficient time to be able to react appropriately.

I tend to agree with others here that perhaps a strobed or staged brake light would be a better way to go at indicating extremely heavy braking than using the hazard lights.
Ah all good sir i understand. And i do agree. None of my cars have a rear fog or some kind of strobe setting. The subaru has the provision for a rear fog but its missing half the loom from being an Aus delivered car. However theres a few models out that have it and it gets left on for no reason and gets annoying.

I find people (at least here in Perth) follow way too close (everyone is in a rush) and hitting brakes hard usually see's cars squirming everywhere and some near misses.

Last night there was an unusual burst of torrential rain. Traffic on the 90kph reid highway slammed brakes to 50 as soon as it hit. Totally unexpected and damn dangeroous but thats why you keep a distance haha. Hazard would just make the cars easier to see and maybe make you be more defensive on approach.

Personally prefer to keep my distance. And i dont like how euro standards keep creeping into Aus...

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-04-2016, 06:16 PM   #37
Carrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
If you are going to quote a road rule quote the whole rule not part of it, they can be used while a vehicle is moving.

221 Using hazard warning lights
The driver of a vehicle fitted with hazard warning
lights must not use the hazard warning lights
, or
allow them to be used, unless—
(a) the vehicle is stopped and is obstructing, or
is likely to obstruct, the path of other
vehicles or pedestrians; or
(b) the vehicle is a slow-moving vehicle and is
obstructing, or is likely to obstruct, the path
of other vehicles or pedestrians
; or
(c) the vehicle is stopped in an emergency
stopping lane; or
(d) the driver stops the vehicle to sell a product
(for example, ice creams) that may attract
children onto the road; or
(e) the driver is driving in hazardous weather
conditions (for example, fog or smoke); or
(f) the vehicle is a bus carrying children, and the
driver stops the vehicle to drop off or pick up
a child and is required or permitted to
operate the hazard warning lights under
regulation 7 of the Bus Safety Regulations
2010; or

(g) the hazard warning lights are operating as
part of an anti-theft device or an alcohol
interlock fitted to the vehicle.

Interestingly Ford has deemed it legal for my PX Ranger to activate hazards under heavy braking conditions.
Doesn't say the car cant do it.

Heavy vehicle drivers are taught to use hazards while reversing.

This one is strange as school lights on a bus are separate from hazard lights and flash alternately not left and right together like hazards and are separate from taillight area.

I can see why there a problem with a moving vehicle using hazards. If he wanted to signal a turn you have no idea which direction he wants to turn.
Carrion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2016, 06:26 PM   #38
BFGasUte
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrion View Post

I can see why there a problem with a moving vehicle using hazards. If he wanted to signal a turn you have no idea which direction he wants to turn.
Hello,

How hard is it to turn them off prior and back on after ? Most people manage to fiddle with many things while driving, this is much the same.
BFGasUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2016, 08:31 PM   #39
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was part of the truck liecence to use when reversing.

some parts of NSW they use hazards in rain or fog. that confuses the rest of NSW during school holidays. southern thing.

we are not allowed to use hazard lights moving slow moving vehicles around as they have to use flashing amber beacons.

my boss was once chipped for using hazards as he was required to have an authority to cause the hazard-in order to use them.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2016, 01:39 PM   #40
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Driving on German Autobahns and hazards come on if you brake hard. I actually think its a good idea (especially in German where you can tell if someone is just touching their brakes or braking hard for something you haven't seen, especially when doing 200 + kph)

Even in Oz its has its merits

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post