Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-10-2016, 12:59 AM   #31
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: W310 Crap-0-dore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippy289XP View Post
You are correct, but that is not my point.

How can a 260 Boss beat a W310.

Do i have a freak 260 or is the 310 rating of W310 crap.
Both automatic ?

He may of had rubbish fuel ?

My SS only liked Shell or BP, but any Caltex fuel and it would not perform, it would make a slight blob blob blob sound out the exhaust, and a mate has got a VF SSV 6.2L 375KW and I could hear the same noise and I said you are running Caltex in this ? and he said yes how do you know that, I know that crap noise and this does not feel like 375KW to me.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2016, 01:26 AM   #32
malazn mafia
Boss 335

The good thing about driving a boss335 GT is generally people, including hsv and Holden owners generally don't want to race. Those stupid enough, are usually ricers. Once chewed up and spat out a worked ralliart colt who dumped his clutch hard at the lights. Poor bugger didn't know what hit him.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2016, 09:46 AM   #33
nstg8a

Put them both on the 1/4 side by side, until then it's just pointless chest beating.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2016, 01:38 PM   #34
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Seriously though, who cares about how fast your car is. If you beat it by a car length or two it's nothing. I am downgrading from 300rwkw to a car that is much slower simply because it is more enjoyable to drive.

If i had the choice between a new SS and BF XR8 i'd be getting the SS every day of the week. It may not be a fast car but they are definitely fun to drive in manual form.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2016, 02:23 PM   #35
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be ****ed if I'd just brought this Maloo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIeibllatZg
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2016, 04:19 PM   #36
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrunner View Post
I'd be ****ed if I'd just brought this Maloo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIeibllatZg
I’d be far more concerned if there wasn’t a reasonable increase from the baseline run and Sonny’s aftermarket tune.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #37
Fairlane 500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I’d be far more concerned if there wasn’t a reasonable increase from the baseline run and Sonny’s aftermarket tune.
Exactly.

That's about the rwkw that should be expected from a bog stock untuned auto on a Mainline dyno IMHO.
Fairlane 500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2016, 05:24 PM   #38
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Last edited by marty351; 29-11-2016 at 09:27 PM.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2016, 05:42 PM   #39
yearby
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Possibly something wrong with the W310, needs to be sent to the mechanics.
I mean I saw a Lamborghini today on the streets of Perth, I was impressed, looks incredible. It made lots of noise when he put his foot down but did not go anywhere, had a very high idle speed, guess about 2000 RPM, bit of a let down in my books. Did not seem right. An xr6 could have kept up with it.
Same with the W310.
yearby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2016, 05:46 PM   #40
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Just because it's a 6.0L or 6.2L Holden doesn't mean it's fast. And just because it's a 5.4L Boss it doesn't mean it's slow.
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2016, 06:41 PM   #41
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearby View Post
Possibly something wrong with the W310, needs to be sent to the mechanics.
I mean I saw a Lamborghini today on the streets of Perth, I was impressed, looks incredible. It made lots of noise when he put his foot down but did not go anywhere, had a very high idle speed, guess about 2000 RPM, bit of a let down in my books. Did not seem right. An xr6 could have kept up with it.
Same with the W310.
Not sure if serious...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2016, 08:10 PM   #42
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Roo View Post
On the Strip. I've had quiet a few runs with HSV's, Maloo Ute's, Walky 310 and 340's, as well as (yawn) WRX's in my F6.

You know how the saying go's "HSV! I Just Ate One!

Ford usa Ford aus "Who gives a rats clacker"
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2016, 08:23 PM   #43
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Power to weight for a BF is 145, and for a VF Series with the 310 is 156, so probably closer to the 145 mark for a VE. It by no means should have smashed the BF...
STEALTHY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2016, 09:44 PM   #44
yearby
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Not sure if serious...
Just saying that the w310 and the Lamborghini both need a tune.

The Lamborghini sounded as if running lean and/or had incorrect timing.
yearby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2016, 10:14 PM   #45
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearby View Post
Just saying that the w310 and the Lamborghini both need a tune.

The Lamborghini sounded as if running lean and/or had incorrect timing.
Maybe people are being mechanically sympathetic. Maybe not, but anyways, got free tickets to the world time attack at Eastern creek today, so my family and I headed on out and it was a great day. Most the cars were off their chops, the only restriction being control tyres, but anyways. Parked next to a Ferrari 512tr ( from the original need for speed game on windows) was an 80s lambo countash ( the hero car from test drive 1), as much time and engineering, money and whatever the guys with the fast cars (no disrespect) put in, on the track old mate looked like he wasnt pushing the thing. He probably values the car, and maybe Mr w310 does too. Dunno why, but for some reason the old school lambo made more movement in my pants then any of the insanly quick mega bucks cars that were there
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2016, 11:57 PM   #46
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The LS3 comes from the factory with 340kw at the fly, so I can’t see how hard it would be to extract close to another 35kw with a few bolt on mods.

I know there are tuners that exaggerate but not all put their reputations to the sword as some do achieve what they advertise which usually comes as an offer of power outputs within a stated range.

I’m not saying Tekno is one of them but it is a competitor to Walkinshaw and it offers an entry level for the LS3 package of approx. 400kw at the engine with 1 7/8 extractors, high flow cats, 2.5 or 3 inch S/S exhaust, OTR intake and tune.

http://www.teknoperformance.com.au/powerpacks

I think people miss the point that a heavy under engineered chassis need lots of power to jump fast and the Commodore is a true testament to that.

Personally I prefer to take my cars to a stand alone reputable tuner who tailors the job to suit my engine.

The Walkinshaw packages are done at the Holden dealer with what I am told is a "generic tune".

The Tekno ones (at least from Brisbane/Gold Coast) are done at Tekno's facility and after the Exhaust and intake is fitted, the cars are individually tuned on a dyno... this is the stage 1 400kw pack im talking about at least. Also get Dyno Sheet of your cars run.

Signed on the dotted line for an SSVR today (Manual, Prussian Grey with 20's and larger spoiler) and am seriously considering the Tekno Stage 1 package..

As for the OP... Different cars I know but after giving the Redline a good decent run today on the test drive, they have 304kw in stock form and would smash my mate BA Series 2 XR8 Sedan (Manual with Exhaust and intake) so good job on beating the W310...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2016, 01:28 AM   #47
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If there's a badge with a W on the back of the Commodore, don't worry about what figure it says.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2016, 02:51 AM   #48
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
The Walkinshaw packages are done at the Holden dealer with what I am told is a "generic tune".

The Tekno ones (at least from Brisbane/Gold Coast) are done at Tekno's facility and after the Exhaust and intake is fitted, the cars are individually tuned on a dyno... this is the stage 1 400kw pack im talking about at least. Also get Dyno Sheet of your cars run.

Signed on the dotted line for an SSVR today (Manual, Prussian Grey with 20's and larger spoiler) and am seriously considering the Tekno Stage 1 package..

As for the OP... Different cars I know but after giving the Redline a good decent run today on the test drive, they have 304kw in stock form and would smash my mate BA Series 2 XR8 Sedan (Manual with Exhaust and intake) so good job on beating the W310...
When I had a Walkinshaw cam package done pre-delivery on one of my VE Commodores the Dealership sent the car over to Sam’s Performance (Sydney) and the end result was an ordinary and safe generic tune.

After I complained the car was too slow for the money I’d spent and it was explained to me what a Walkinshaw tune and package was, I had Sam replace the cam with one of his own specs and his own tune which was done on the dyno to suit the engine and the car was greatly improved.

I’ll never bother with an overpriced Walkinshaw tune or their rebadged bolt-ons again.

Here is a list of approved Walkinshaw Agents and I’ve been told the Dealerships that are close by outsource the work to them instead of doing it in-house.

http://www.walkinshawperformance.com...tent=Australia

When I bought my VF2 Redline earlier this year the Holden Dealership was pushing the KPM Streetfighter packages.

I can’t say I know who does the work as I declined the offer and didn’t ask if it was in-house or not because after the money wasted on the Walkinshaw setup I prefer to go to a reputable tuner who will spend time getting the car to perform to suit the engine and mods and it will be done for a far more reasonable price.

I don’t know anything about the Tekno packages.

I don’t know if my Redline would beat a BA S2 XR8 or not and I don’t think I’ll ever find out but I do know they come from the factory way too soft.

I thought the W310 package for the 6 litre in the VE & VF1 was equivalent to the 304kW LS3 in the VF2, it’s just that Holden use a difference measurement for output.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2016, 08:55 AM   #49
Orangejuicepony

I used to make threads up like this all the time on this forum, ended up getting me banned. But being a Ford man all my life I finally got over the under dog ****ing contest I always felt I needed to start because every one I ever came up against refused to understand how much more awesome the Falcon was than every other car out there because of straight line speed.

Anyway, as fast as the Turbos and S/C V8s are - the move to a VF2 LS3 is the most enjoyable purchase I have made. Everyone loves a V8 Holden, and most don't know what they are looking at. No need to defend it, its just awesome on its own. Funny that.

The best part, I've never driven the 6.2 above 100kmh nor pushed the pedal past halfway because the most enjoyable thing is the noise. Lots and lots of small block chev noise. The upside, a good 530km per tank, something the 4.0 in the Falcon never could pull off.
Orangejuicepony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2016, 01:53 PM   #50
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
When I had a Walkinshaw cam package done pre-delivery on one of my VE Commodores the Dealership sent the car over to Sam’s Performance (Sydney) and the end result was an ordinary and safe generic tune.

After I complained the car was too slow for the money I’d spent and it was explained to me what a Walkinshaw tune and package was, I had Sam replace the cam with one of his own specs and his own tune which was done on the dyno to suit the engine and the car was greatly improved.

I’ll never bother with an overpriced Walkinshaw tune or their rebadged bolt-ons again.

Here is a list of approved Walkinshaw Agents and I’ve been told the Dealerships that are close by outsource the work to them instead of doing it in-house.

http://www.walkinshawperformance.com...tent=Australia

When I bought my VF2 Redline earlier this year the Holden Dealership was pushing the KPM Streetfighter packages.

I can’t say I know who does the work as I declined the offer and didn’t ask if it was in-house or not because after the money wasted on the Walkinshaw setup I prefer to go to a reputable tuner who will spend time getting the car to perform to suit the engine and mods and it will be done for a far more reasonable price.

I don’t know anything about the Tekno packages.

I don’t know if my Redline would beat a BA S2 XR8 or not and I don’t think I’ll ever find out but I do know they come from the factory way too soft.

I thought the W310 package for the 6 litre in the VE & VF1 was equivalent to the 304kW LS3 in the VF2, it’s just that Holden use a difference measurement for output.
Ok so you are saying that Walkinshaw do not use the same ECE KW figures as Holden do, just like the Brock Commodore's use the old out dated SAE gross figures ?

So your 6.0L VE with Walkinshaw cam and package was a what power ? and you thought it a ECE KW figure and then realised this is not what you were lead to believe was the performance you wanted and then had to get a bigger cam to get the performance you truly wanted.

The Walkinshaw Holden approved do not go that far due to they would not be that foolish to warrantee such a setup of that much power I would think.

The thing is because it's a Walkinshaw setup they can advertise SAE gross figures without a problem, just like the Brock cars did.

You could go out and create a 'Express' Commodore package with Holden with only a gimmick like a polarizer and claim power in SAE gross KW figures. How many people would believe they have truly more power over the standard engine, not to mention just add a fox tail and hit the coil springs with a gas axe a bit to lower it and toss on a chook rest on the boot and wallah ! and it's automatically faster especially if it's red, in the eyes of the majority it would seam to be the case.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2016, 10:29 PM   #51
Jamie-b

I could easily milk 550km from a tank in my fg xr6t and I surely don't drive for fuel economy

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Jamie-b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2016, 10:37 PM   #52
F6RCD

My s2 redline would be lucky to get 400 from a tank. My xr6t was much better on fuel.
F6RCD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2016, 10:10 AM   #53
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my GT almost got hosed by a new Toyota Kluger....those things are fast
not as fast as an aurion but we all know about that

also i was cruising in the adventra the other day and a VE SS with exhaust and big plastic bonnet buldge tried to run me from stopped at a traffic light and it took him about 100kmh to get a car length, i would have thought a 270kw manual ute would smash a 250kw auto AWD tank.
i guess an AWD auto you can just put your foot down and get consistant times but with a manual its so easy to screw up a launch....as i know from my GT
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2016, 10:17 AM   #54
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is the thing. Depending on who installs the Walkinshaw pack certainly will deliver a different result. For example, there are many Holden dealers who install the W310 W375 packs but only use a mail order tune. Generic at best. I had my W310 fitted at a performance shop and ended up with 263rwkw (from a standard 229rwkw) and there is no way I would be hosed by a BA BF V8 in that.
0-100 I averaged 4.9 sec. with it being an auto.

I now have a VF2 Redline with the LS3 and it certainly doesnt feel as strong (mind you it has only done 380kms) but I will only be doing headers and OTR with tune on this one.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2016, 01:27 PM   #55
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
The good thing about driving a boss335 GT is generally people, including hsv and Holden owners generally don't want to race. Those stupid enough, are usually ricers. Once chewed up and spat out a worked ralliart colt who dumped his clutch hard at the lights. Poor bugger didn't know what hit him.
No disrespect to your 335 but the colt is a 1.5L isn't it?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2016, 03:12 PM   #56
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
my GT almost got hosed by a new Toyota Kluger....those things are fast
not as fast as an aurion but we all know about that

also i was cruising in the adventra the other day and a VE SS with exhaust and big plastic bonnet buldge tried to run me from stopped at a traffic light and it took him about 100kmh to get a car length, i would have thought a 270kw manual ute would smash a 250kw auto AWD tank.
i guess an AWD auto you can just put your foot down and get consistant times but with a manual its so easy to screw up a launch....as i know from my GT
Those Adventras are pretty quick off the line.

I took off with one in my old stock 317kw clubsport and was beaten to 80-100km/h.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2016, 10:01 PM   #57
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
These thing can not have 310kw.

Just hosed one off with my BF XR8 ute.

And he was trying, he got me up to the 4000rpm mark and that's when I pulled away.

I'd be a bit ****ed off if I spent $6-7k on a package and get hosed off by a 10yr old XR8.

My ute only has cold air intake, Acel super coils and rear muffler delete.
He's either missed a gear or let off. But let's work through it. A standard VF 6L will pull a low-mid 13. Pulled a 13.2 in my old SS personally. The 310 packages are closer to a 13 dead, some are in the 12s (depending on driver/trans). So for your XR8 to hose a 310 VF, it would need to be a deep 12 second rig at least. A standard 5.4 XR8 is closer to a 14. So the reason you've ended up in front of him is something on his end- missed a gear, let off, wasn't keen on getting booked, spotted a pretty lady, who knows.

Also consider that half the reason folks add the Walkinshaw packages to series 1 VFs is for the sound. Standard they sound pretty weak. For what folks pay for VFs, they could have bought an XR6T, F6, supercharged XR8, etc. Clearly they're not buying them to necessarily be the quickest car on the street (there's much more to a car than nailing it in a straight line), although they're certainly a quicker rig than a 5.4L B series, as they should be.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2016, 12:11 AM   #58
Ippy289XP
Banned

Is this not a forum for Ford owners???

Why do so many people on here own Holdens?

For ****s sake, I quit!!
Ippy289XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2016, 12:19 AM   #59
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Is this not a forum for Ford owners???

Why do so many people on here own Holdens?

For ****s sake, I quit!!
Until 3ish years ago, i had never owned a Ford. And i've been a member for many years before that (but that was due to signing up when i ran a charity cruise).

But i have always loved special late model Fords (F6X, Turbo Territory, F6 R Spec's etc) which is why i kept browsing the forums.
STEALTHY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2016, 12:25 AM   #60
Ippy289XP
Banned

No more for me.

There are too many political correct toss pots on here.

I have couple post left, that's it
Ippy289XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post