Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-01-2015, 12:13 AM   #31
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Wheels COTY.. Electric!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont View Post
prius's are taxis.
I`ll probably get flamed, but id rather have a Prius than a full electric car.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2015, 12:39 AM   #32
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

COTY used to be about the best car in Australia.

Expensive and 100km range? It's not supposed to be for the "best car in Australia...for wealthy inner city people who don't drive much".

It used to be a relevant award, but not for a while now.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2015, 01:02 AM   #33
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
I`ll probably get flamed, but id rather have a Prius than a full electric car.
How about a camry hybrid? at least it looks like a normal car.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2015, 02:21 AM   #34
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX View Post
Ah, but I seem to recall focus groups (could have been in the USA) back when the Prius was first coming out that gave the result that potential hybrid owners liked the oddball "different" look of the Prius as compared to a "normal" looking car.
You see, they not only wanted to drive a hybrid...more importantly they wanted to be seen to be driving a hybrid. A real "Look at me and how environmentally friendly I am and you aren't" type mentality.

Yes, the Camry Hybrid and Honda Civic hybrid look just like normal cars...which is a great thing.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2015, 02:32 AM   #35
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Ah, but I seem to recall focus groups (could have been in the USA) back when the Prius was first coming out that gave the result that potential hybrid owners liked the oddball "different" look of the Prius as compared to a "normal" looking car.
You see, they not only wanted to drive a hybrid...more importantly they wanted to be seen to be driving a hybrid. A real "Look at me and how environmentally friendly I am and you aren't" type mentality.

Yes, the Camry Hybrid and Honda Civic hybrid look just like normal cars...which is a great thing.
Ah yes the "smug" factor.
On another note I saw one of those old Honda insight hybrids the other day.... was surprised it was still running.
Old 23-01-2015, 02:39 AM   #36
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ah yes the "smug" factor.
On another note I saw one of those old Honda insight hybrids the other day.... was surprised it was still running.
Ah yes, the Insight...it was very Prius-like in it's styling wasn't it?
Honda decided to do what it always has done however and go to a hybrid that normal people actually would be seen driving, which is how we ended up with the Civic hybrid...
Old 23-01-2015, 03:48 AM   #37
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
A similar mentality to most of the, I’ve got a GT or GTS crowd.
Old 23-01-2015, 04:04 AM   #38
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
A similar mentality to most of the, I’ve got a GT or GTS crowd.
Yuck... horrible, but right comparison.
Old 23-01-2015, 04:28 AM   #39
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08FGXR8 View Post
I'm sure that in past COTY's competing cars had to sell at least 250 units a year to qualify.

They musn't enforce that anymore as I have never seen a Honda CR-Z on the road.

I think now that every magazine and website has its own Car of the Year, the Wheels COTY isn't so relevant anymore, it used to be the award to win.

In regards to the FG Falcon and COTY, I did read a comment once where it was harder for a car with a huge variety of models as all need to be excellent or something like that, there were a few silly things they picked on with the FG whereas the Honda Accord Euro has one body shape, 1 engine so there wasn't going to be as many opportunities to find weaknesses in the Accord.
Yes I remember reading that flawed argument so often, which incidently I only ever remember it being brought up for the falcon as a negative remark. BUT in the real world.....if the bones of a model are great, and there's models to choose from to suit your needs and budget......HOW IS THAT A NEGATIVE

And on the point of electric battery packs.....isn't the big ECO problem actually the process used to make, distribute and even dispose of the batteries? Not that the power they use is from a coal source!!!
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-01-2015, 08:39 AM   #40
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe we should have an award for Car Magazine of the Year and put the show on the other foot.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #41
Oxa384
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why arnt I surprised?? I must be still in shock over a rotory powered Datsun ute winning the street machine of the year!!!
Oxa384 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2015, 12:17 PM   #42
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
im not fussed too much about looks ..... hey i drive an AU ,
the first thing that comes to mind is practicality ..... im old !
people talk about how good the range is on some of these electric cars , hell i can get a two ton terri suv to go 900 or a 1000 k`s on a tank ...... now that is useful......... and in my book far more worthy of car of the year than a pos electric commuter.

What where wheels thinking ???

Last edited by mik; 23-01-2015 at 12:23 PM.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2015, 01:17 PM   #43
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradEL View Post
I went for a ride in an i3 recently, I must admit I was surprised at how quick it was, impressive accelration and pickup, but still oh so gay

I bet you didnt go too far in it...

Did BMW pay for the COTY award, they must have!!
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #44
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Well, looks like our petrol dynasaurs are dead?
Fancy Wheels awarding Car Of The Year to an all electric BMW thing that gets 100ks per charge AND has sold a grand total of 33 units in Australia?
A joke I reckon!
And the strange thing for me is I've seen an i3 out in West Ipswich of all places you'd expect to see one as soon as the award was announced, and yet it took me 3 months to spot a FGX Falcon.

Ugly as hell and completely inappropriate for the Australian roads.
Old 23-01-2015, 02:47 PM   #45
maylandsman
Banned

They have pulled this from their posterior. 65k for a city dwelling car that can get 100km - but it is affordable - as the youngsters say, lol.

Seems a few on here, rightly or wrongly, consider Wheels irrelevant. I reckon they have declared this COTY to create controversy and try and get same relevance back. Backfire.
maylandsman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2015, 04:03 PM   #46
wozman

Wheels made the carmira coty
wozman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2015, 04:16 PM   #47
Chopped
as in chopped

Wheels "Lets pick something controversial and get everyone talking about us"

Checks internet....

woohoo it worked
Old 23-01-2015, 04:25 PM   #48
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think its a good winner. very relevant for our near future. The vast majority of owners globally wouldn't travel outside its range in a day. I did 7 kms yesterday as most days!

Its ugly and expensive, 4 stars is dubious for poor pedestrian safety but very relevant. Good on wheels and COTY.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2015, 04:46 PM   #49
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Can't comment on the car itself, never driven one.
However I can see why Wheels would hand this prize over to it. As has been said, it has taken the future of motoring to another level. Between this and the Tesla, they both are taking the future of motoring to the next level.
It may be ugly (subjective) and expensive but that is the cost of leading the industry. All that R&D needs to be recouped somehow. Especially the cost of the materials (CFRP).

That's not to say the car is bad. The i3 won World Design Car of the Year and World Green Car of the Year. With two models available (pure electric or electric with a range extender) it gives the option for essentially a city car or something that can be used further out.

WCOTY worthy? Not sure but then what is?

As for BMW paying Wheels off? Really? This again? First Holden, then VW now BMW? Get over it.
Old 23-01-2015, 05:23 PM   #50
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would have ruled the BMW out of COTY purely based on its name.

I can't possibly be the only person who is over the whole 'i' branding (damn Apple).
Mighty Reds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2015, 05:27 PM   #51
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Reds View Post
I would have ruled the BMW out of COTY purely based on its name.

I can't possibly be the only person who is over the whole 'i' branding (damn Apple).
I 100% agree with you. Short sighted naming convention.
Old 23-01-2015, 05:40 PM   #52
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well, looks like our petrol dynasaurs are dead?
Fancy Wheels awarding Car Of The Year to an all electric BMW thing that gets 100ks per charge AND has sold a grand total of 33 units in Australia?
A joke I reckon!
If sales volume was a prerequisite for judging then the Corolla would have won. You still wouldn't have been happy.

The BMW i8 is an impressive bit of engineering and certainly points the way to what we can expect more of in the future.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2015, 05:47 PM   #53
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
And the odd shaped FG boot floor in practice is actually far superior to a flat floor where shopping and stuff tips and slides all over the place as you drive along.

And I think this is the only time I have ever heard of rack rattle in an FG.

Reading this review with the first four words saying "It’s far from faultless...", I'm left wondering why the i3 is actually COTY??.

And electric cars aren't all that clean and CO2 emission free. Where does the electricity to charge it come from in Vic - brown coal.
Rack rattle was mentioned at the FG launch and the 2010 XR6 I rented with just on 200km on the odo was an impressive car, but yeap, it had rack rattle on bad WA roads. Heard it two or three times, so maybe like a lot of things Falcon, its a bit of lucky dip on what umm characteristics your Falcon has.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2015, 05:55 PM   #54
1TUFFUTE
Banned

I'm not sure a car 'hinting' at future progress deserves our nod of approval now. After all......it's still a LONG way off before we need or use these cars a lot.
As for its range being acceptable..........I'd like to see one other car with a range of 100klms that doesn't get flamed to death. That suits such a small minority it's a mute point!

Totally and utterly a media stunt and anyone who falls for it needs to wake up to reality. A useless electric car can win "best" car of the year when they're actually relevant as far as I'm concerned!!
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2015, 06:00 PM   #55
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think they sold nearly 30,000 of them last year in the US alone in less than 12 months. Not really fringe or irrelevant...how many falcons sold?

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2015, 06:04 PM   #56
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
I'm not sure a car 'hinting' at future progress deserves our nod of approval now. After all......it's still a LONG way off before we need or use these cars a lot.
As for its range being acceptable..........I'd like to see one other car with a range of 100klms that doesn't get flamed to death. That suits such a small minority it's a mute point!

Totally and utterly a media stunt and anyone who falls for it needs to wake up to reality. A useless electric car can win "best" car of the year when they're actually relevant as far as I'm concerned!!
100km? WEhere is that?
The review here indicates that range without the petrol generator is 100miles (160km)
With the range extender they were seeing 150 miles (241km). Ample enough for many suburban people who have small cars.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/bmw/i3/mpg

It may be for a small minority but then so is a car that needs to fit 5 overweight individuals, tow a trailer, be RWD, etc.

The i3 is all about bringing to the market a technologically advanced vehicle (what car under 100k has on offer in terms of technology and engineering that the i3 does) that reduces emissions at the tailpipe, providing decent mileage and accommodate the average person.
Old 23-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #57
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
100km? WEhere is that?
The review here indicates that range without the petrol generator is 100miles (160km)
With the range extender they were seeing 150 miles (241km). Ample enough for many suburban people who have small cars.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/bmw/i3/mpg

It may be for a small minority but then so is a car that needs to fit 5 overweight individuals, tow a trailer, be RWD, etc.

The i3 is all about bringing to the market a technologically advanced vehicle (what car under 100k has on offer in terms of technology and engineering that the i3 does) that reduces emissions at the tailpipe, providing decent mileage and accommodate the average person.
Are you going to buy one?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2015, 06:35 PM   #58
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Are you going to buy one?
No, why? are you?
Old 23-01-2015, 07:30 PM   #59
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
I think they sold nearly 30,000 of them last year in the US alone in less than 12 months. Not really fringe or irrelevant...how many falcons sold?

JP
Meanwhile F Series sold 750,000~ units...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2015, 08:11 PM   #60
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: Wheels COTY.. Electric!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binny View Post
Erm Motor is the same publisher isn't it and even has some of the same journos?

I haven't bought either in a long time.
I beleive online publications like Caradvice and TMR are a much better read and they are free.
Lesson learnt !!!. I pop into the news agency, and saw first hand that both magazines Motor and Wheels are owned and supported by the same owner Bauer Media Group . That's disappointing , as I was starting to enjoy Motor . Now , i won't be buying either .
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post