Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-06-2006, 04:30 PM   #31
2002auxr6
Drunk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSGTP
Your a tough marker, everybody has a story about a heap of crap. We have owned our Explorer since new in 2003, now has 55000km, original tyres, never missed a beat with the best sounding V8 in a 4WD, and the only warranty issue we had was a recall of the gas struts in the glass tailgate, repaired during our 30000km service.

But lets use your methodology. My neighbour picked up with Blueprint Zetec Ford Focus from Keira Ford Wollongong. Within a week the motor was missing and gearbox all but failed, shall tell everybody to stay away from them? I dont think so. Stick to what you know..........................
I am sticking to what i know and i know these cars are a heap of
2002auxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2006, 04:30 PM   #32
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

The last one was still a great car Ployal, but by gods did it drink.

It would have been a great tow car though, and if finances allowed I still would use an explorer as a tow vehicle
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2006, 04:45 PM   #33
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

The later ones werent a bad car and if im correct the 4.0L in the current 6 cylinder Courier is the same motor that they had...

People buy them for their own reasons, they weren't all that well marketed in Australia and as I said they were poorly perceived due to the first model that came out and its long array of issues. Most who have bought them did so soley for the fact that they were V8 and the price $$, theres still a few people trying to source left over ones, but apparently there is none left in Australia now, not new anyways. As said tho, they arent exactly the cheapest thing to run, and from some of the figures quoted above - 15.5 isnt even close to what a 6 Speed Territory AWD will do if driven properly - sub 12's low 10s on highway.

The Territory kicks the explorer in more ways the one, driver dynamics is the biggest thing that the Territory has over it, not to mention the array of options and customization you can Factory order on the Territory, the explorer never had that or the public perception the territory has.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2006, 09:22 PM   #34
460cixy
burn out king

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalDriver
The suspension is no different than a 100 series Cruiser, Australia's largest selling 4x4!
bum bow wrong dude the ifs cruiser uses coils up front in a mcpherson strut type jigga not like an exploder with its torsion bars. and almost no wheel travel in the front. and good old leaf springs in the rear. and i ment 10 degres as in angle that about when the fuel pumps turn off some safety feture or some crap.
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2006, 09:44 PM   #35
460cixy
burn out king

Quote:
Originally Posted by aualright
Did research on the UZ Explorer and came away impressed. Great cruiser and family vehicle compared to its competitors re Discovery (previous model) and Prado. Independent rear suspension, excellent V8 and safety second to none, especially for back seats where my kids sit.
Driveability has been compared to the X5, which is top shelf. UZ also looks the part. Considering a 2 yr old V8 Limited can be got for less than $40k, I wish they were still importing them. For the equivalent priced Landcruiser, I'm afraid the options just don't stack up. As for off road ability, well there is only bitumen around Warriewood, where I live.

Asked for feedback from this site and only got positive feedback from owners, which are the ones that count.

get off the drugs man no way would an exploder come close to an x5 lol about as close as you will get is a range rover or maybe toyota lexus thats laughable mate range rover vouge $131,900 or $156,500 for the v8 x5 both come with air suspension and electronic cornering control hill decent control ect ect at $63,950 i recon the the exploder in no way could be compared to top shelf 4x4s like the rover or bmw
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2006, 10:27 PM   #36
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002auxr6
I am sticking to what i know and i know these cars are a heap of
You know of one that is, not all.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:34 PM   #37
Rastus
XY,XC,XEx2,XA,EF,AU,BA,XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460cixy
bum bow wrong dude the ifs cruiser uses coils up front in a mcpherson strut type jigga not like an exploder with its torsion bars. and almost no wheel travel in the front. and good old leaf springs in the rear. and i ment 10 degres as in angle that about when the fuel pumps turn off some safety feture or some crap.
Whereas you're talking about the earlier models up to 2001, others defending the Explorer as a half decent rig are talking about the later 2002-2005 models.
These later models are the ones I would consider, not the early ones.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:50 PM   #38
gcm

Actually if u google it, the explorer has had air suspension (or ARC as they call it) standard on the limited modelsfor quite a few years - they're up there as far as value for money on outright purchase - ongoing costs are another thing entirely.......
gcm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post