Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-07-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Quote:
Where's here? I thought the east coast was 3 hours ahead of Wait Awhile during winter??
11:05 Here in Brissy
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Where's here? I thought the east coast was 3 hours ahead of Wait Awhile during winter??
Head Office..

Old 26-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I think its a good move with the TD Terry and the possiblity of exports for both it and the Falcon, im still unsure about a 4cly Falcon though, ill have to get back to you on that one
Old 24-07-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm thinking it would be a good idea for us to wait and see what they anounce at 11.30 when they say what is happening

we as the general public can only guess what is going on .......

how many times have we seen the media get it wrong and people cry fowl ?

i'm waiting for the official announcement before i get to excited or totally dismayed on this one

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My spies tell me that the turbo I6 is now going to replace the V8 completely and be FPV only with stocks for 5 years whereas the new V6 will be fitted to all falcons with no turbo option.

2011 GT will be an I6.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
My spies tell me that the turbo I6 is now going to replace the V8 completely and be FPV only with stocks for 5 years whereas the new V6 will be fitted to all falcons with no turbo option.

2011 GT will be an I6.
double barrel shotgun!!!

Old 24-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
HSE2

Quote:

2011 GT will be an I6.

There is only one person on this forum that can get away with this.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Diesel falcon???

http://www.theage.com.au/national/fo...0724-dvhc.html

Quote:
Ford will abandon plans to build the small car Focus in Australia and instead produce a four-cylinder version of its existing Falcon and Territory range.

An announcement from the company is expected later this morning.

But a source confirmed the announcement would centre on the introduction of new environmentally friendly engine technology for the Falcon and its locally built offroader, the Territory.

It is believed today's announcement will include a $230 million investment in new petrol, LPG and diesel engines for the Falcon and Territory - and that no jobs will be lost at the Geelong and Broadmeadows plants.

The move away from a locally produced Focus - previously promoted as part of a global shift towards smaller, more fuel-efficient cars - is expected to come as a surprise across the industry.

It is understood that the high cost of producing the Focus in Australia, compared with lower-cost economies overseas, was a major barrier.

By 2011, the Ford and Territory range is expected to include:

* A four-cylinder, two-litre petrol ``eco-boost'' engine with greater fuel efficiency and lower CO2 emissions.

* A two-litre liquid-injection LPG engine that will be promoted as the most advanced LPG engine in the country.

* A 2.7 litre V6 diesel engine - again with lower emissions and higher fuel efficiency.

Ford had planned to build the Focus small car in Australia from 2011, but is believed to have canned the project in favour of building a new turbo-charged four-cylinder engine claimed to deliver six-cylinder performance with the fuel consumption and emissions of a small car.

The Eco-boost engine has been developed by its US parent and Ford global product boss Derek Kuzak recently told the media the company planned to have a four-cylinder engine in every car in its range.

Ford planned to build 40,000 Focuses a year, with 15,000 earmarked for export.

Senator Kim Carr, Federal Minister for Innovation, Industry Science and Research, will attend the announcement at Ford's Broadmeadows headquarters.

The new engine program is likely to receive funding under the Government's Green Car Innovation Fund, which has already spawned similar programs from Holden and Toyota.

Holden has received $149 million in funding to develop a new small car, the Cruze, at its Elizabeth Plant in South Australia from 2010, while early next year Toyota will begin selling a hybrid version of its locally built Camry sedan with $30 million funding.

The Ford source said the new engine program would not affect the company's existing six-cylinder engine operations in Geelong.

Ford had planned to close the Geelong engine plant in 2010 and import a V6 engine from the United States, but reversed the decision after receiving assistance from the Government late last year.

All three local manufacturers are reshaping their operations in an attempt to come to terms with the shift away from locally-produced large family cars to offroaders and small, fuel efficient vehicles.

According to industry sources, Ford is expected to announce that the production of the three new engines will mean that no jobs will be lost.

It is understood that Ford will continue to source the Focus from overseas locations.

An announcement from the company is expected in the next few hours.

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Of course there is a reason why spies are usually shot.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #10
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Quote:
Of course there is a reason why spies are usually shot.......
lol don't even joke about stuff like that...

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

175.6 rwkw

Old 24-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #11
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

From Drivel:

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...eID=64516&vf=2

Quote:
Ford will abandon plans to build a new small car in Australia and instead produce four-cylinder versions of its locally made Falcon and Territory models, according to sources at the company.

The local car maker will reveal its plans later today, but a source confirmed the announcement would centre on the introduction of new environmentally friendly engine technology for the Falcon and its soft-roader spin-off, the Territory.

Ford had planned to build the Focus small car in Australia from 2011, but is believed to have canned the project in favour of building a new turbocharged four-cylinder engine claimed to deliver six-cylinder performance with the fuel consumption and emissions of a small car.

The ‘Ecoboost’ engine has been developed by its US parent company, and Ford global product boss Derek Kuzak recently told media the company planned to have a four-cylinder engine in every car in its range.

Ford planned to build 40,000 Focus models a year, with 15,000 earmarked for export. Senator Kim Carr, Federal Minister for Innovation, Industry Science and Research, will attend the announcement at Ford’s Broadmeadows headquarters.

The new engine program is likely to receive funding under the Government’s Green Car Innovation Fund, which has already spawned similar programs from Holden and Toyota.

Holden has received $149 million in funding to develop a new small car, the Cruze, at its Elizabeth Plant in South Australia from 2010, while early next year Toyota will begin selling a hybrid version of its locally-built Camry sedan with $30 million funding.

The Ford source said the new engine program would not affect the company’s existing six-cylinder engine operations in Geelong.

Ford had planned to close the Geelong engine plant in 2010 and import a V6 engine from the United States, but reversed the decision after receiving assistance from the Government late last year.

All three local manufacturers are reshaping their operations in an attempt to come to terms with the shift away from locally produced large family cars to soft-roaders and small, fuel efficient vehicles.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #12
MR_SIDO
you'd be popular too.....

Just had the announcement from Ford. Media release should be out soon.
Old 24-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #13
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XR4T Falcon...

Old 24-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #14
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
XR4T Falcon...
XR4TDCi
Old 24-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #15
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Right, so by "Ford is expected to announce that the production of the three new engines will mean that no jobs will be lost" I take it that the 4-Cyl Petrol, LPI and V6 Diesel engines will be made in Oz?

Luke
Old 24-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #16
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
Right, so by "Ford is expected to announce that the production of the three new engines will mean that no jobs will be lost" I take it that the 4-Cyl Petrol, LPI and V6 Diesel engines will be made in Oz?

Luke
Diesel is Welsh, but the I4 rumour seems to have traction.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 02:09 PM   #17
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

From an e-mail from Ford's Business Centre

Quote:
As a valued customer of Ford Australia, I wanted you to be among the first people to hear the exciting news contained in the following press announcement being published to the Australian media today.
FORD AUSTRALIA INVESTS $230 MILLION IN NEW FUEL-EFFICIENT ENGINES FOR LOCALLY PRODUCED VEHICLES

• Ford Australia builds on its fuel economy leadership by adding three new, fuel-efficient engines as part of $230 million investment in sustainability initiatives. These initiatives add to Ford’s previously announced investment in engineering its I6 engine for Euro IV by mid-2010.
• Ford continues global roll-out of EcoBoost by adding an all-new 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder EcoBoost engine to the Falcon range in 2011, the biggest environmental transformation in Falcon’s fifty-year history.
• Ford is also introducing an advanced liquid injection LPG system for the Falcon and a clean diesel 2.7L turbocharged V6 engine for Territory.
• Ford ends plans to build Focus in Australia due to changing global economic conditions. No job losses are expected as a result of the decision.

MELBOURNE, Australia, July 24, 2009 – Ford Australia announced today it is investing $230 million to improve the fuel efficiency and environmental impact of its Australian-made models, including the first global application of Ford’s advanced 2.0-litre 4-cylinder EcoBoost engine in a rear-wheel drive vehicle, the Ford Falcon.

This continues the global roll-out of EcoBoost, the new technology from Ford that provides consumers with an affordable engine that delivers up to 20 per cent better fuel economy and 15 per cent fewer CO2 emissions.
Ford Australia is taking two other steps, in addition to EcoBoost, to offer consumers more choices for vehicles with better fuel economy and lower CO2 emissions:

• In 2010, Ford will introduce an advanced liquid-injection LPG system for the Ford Falcon, providing customers with the most advanced LPG technology on the market and making the Falcon even more attractive to private, taxi and fleet markets.
• The Ford Territory, the only Australian-made SUV, will receive a clean diesel version of Ford’s 2.7-litre turbocharged V6 engine, giving buyers the choice of an engine which improves fuel economy and reduces greenhouse gases.

Today’s announcement is supported by assistance from the Australian Government’s Green Car Innovation Fund and the Victorian State Government. It is in addition to Ford's previous investment to engineer the company's locally manufactured I6 engine for compliance with Euro IV emission standards.

Starting in 2011, the iconic Falcon, one of the largest-selling brands in automotive history and the first Australian-made car to be awarded a 5-star ANCAP rating, will become one of the greenest family cars in Australia with EcoBoost. Slated for a range of global vehicles – from small cars to large trucks – EcoBoost uses petrol turbocharged direct-injection technology to deliver improved fuel efficiency, emissions and driving performance versus larger displacement engines.

As the first rear-wheel drive car from Ford to receive the 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder EcoBoost, Falcon is benefiting from the One Ford strategy of accelerating products that customers want and value – and then making those products available on a global basis.

“Today’s announcements put Ford Australia in a strong position for profitable growth in today’s auto industry,” said Marin Burela, President & CEO of Ford Australia. “We are ensuring our core Falcon and Territory vehicles will have the most advanced, high-tech and cleanest engines possible. At the same time, this represents the biggest environmental transformation in the fifty-year history of Ford Falcon by giving buyers the newest engine in the Ford Motor Company stable.

"Falcon customers will now have the choice of either the continually popular I6 engine, which will be Euro IV compliant, or one of the first global applications of Ford's EcoBoost, 2.0-litre 4-cylinder engines, while in a similar timeframe Territory customers will be able to access Ford's world-class clean diesel engine technology," Burela continued.

Ford Australia also announced that as a result of changing global economic conditions, the company has ended plans to manufacture the Ford Focus in Australia. After assessing the global requirements and costs of producing the next Focus in Australia, Ford determined that the changing economic conditions meant it could not make a business case for profitably manufacturing the car at its operations outside of Melbourne.

Ford’s new strategy allows the company to economically source small cars for the Australian market from overseas locations, while investing in leading-edge technologies to serve its core Falcon and Territory customers. The decision to not make the Focus in Australia will not result in any job losses.
“Although difficult, this is the right decision for Ford Australia,” said Burela. “Ford Australia has a strong commitment to manufacturing in this country built on ongoing support from employees, customers, dealers, suppliers and government. Our investments today demonstrate not only our commitment to address climate change – but to bringing leading edge technologies to the Australian market."

"Ford is fully committed to working towards fuel economy leadership in every segment in which we compete, across local and imported vehicles. In fact, later this year we will introduce the most fuel-efficient vehicle in Australia when we launch the Fiesta ECOnetic, which will be more economical than hybrids at only 3.7L/100km," said Burela.

These significant projects add to a continued program of ongoing investment by Ford in the Australian market, including:

• More than $500 million investment in the current FG Falcon range of vehicles.
• Leading design and engineering work on Ford’s next generation compact pickup truck, which will eventually be sold in more than 100 countries.
• More than $80 million invested at the Lara Proving Ground, including building the largest environmental wind tunnel in the Southern Hemisphere.
• $21 million investment in ongoing production of the company's iconic I6 engine, which will become Euro IV compliant in mid-2010.

“Ford is the only local manufacturer to increase market share in Australia over the past year. Last month, we reinstated two non-production days back into the production schedule as a result of rising demands. In June, Falcon Ute sales were their best since June 2006, the Falcon XR had its best monthly sales on record, and demand for the new-look Territory has exceeded our expectations” said Burela.

About EcoBoost
The EcoBoost program is part of Ford’s ongoing and wide-ranging global initiative to deliver fuel-efficient powertrain systems with the power and performance found in larger-displacement engines. EcoBoost will be offered on Ford vehicles throughout the world. On sale now in select Ford vehicles in North America, more than 90 per cent of Ford’s North American nameplates will be available with EcoBoost by 2013.

The key to the EcoBoost system is the harmony between the turbochargers and direct-injection fuel system. The turbochargers recover energy from the exhaust that otherwise would have been wasted and put it back in the engine to gain efficiency. Simply, the turbocharging system puts more air into the engine for more power. A compressor increases or “boosts” the pressure of the air entering the engine. An intercooler reduces the air temperature before it enters the engine.

About LPG
The liquid injection LPG engine for Falcon is the most advanced LPG technology on the market. By injecting liquid LPG directly into each intake track, the system delivers better fuel economy, reduced CO2 and improved performance through a more precise metering of fuel to the engine. Initial analysis indicates liquid injection LPG technology can reduce CO2 levels 12 per cent or more compared to current LPG technology.

About Clean Diesel
Technology advancements are reducing the tailpipe emissions that diesel engines traditionally produce. Buyers of Ford's Australian-made Territory SUV will be able to get a clean diesel option that generates fewer greenhouse gasses, while at the same time giving them better fuel economy performance than comparable petrol-driven engines. Clean diesel variants of a new 2.7-litre V6 engine will reduce CO2 by up to 25 per cent from six cylinder petrol engines.

Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 205,000 employees and about 90 plants worldwide, the company's automotive brands include Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Volvo. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford's products, please visit www.ford.com.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #18
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

i think this is all bad a 4 cyl falcon phhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht !
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #19
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatsports_cars
i think this is all bad a 4 cyl falcon phhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht !
I4T.

I think it will be interesting, but I've had since November last year to contemplate this.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #20
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Quote:
An official announcement is expected at 1pm.
Argh! After lunch then.

175.6 rwkw

Old 24-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #21
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
I4T.

I think it will be interesting, but I've had since November last year to contemplate this.
I'm with you Paxton took me a while to accept it but now I think it's going to be a winner.
WOTDAH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #22
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well have to wait and see what they do to falcon (hoping Flappist is WRONG) by the looks, the one thing thats probably been holding the terri back is fuel consumption this should be a plus for many potential customers.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #23
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I smell a rat.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #24
HSE2

It is understood that the high cost of producing the Focus in Australia, compared with lower-cost economies overseas, was a major barrier.

If this is true of one
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #25
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Will the I4 Falcon get a new name and compete in a different market category?

I'm not sure how the industry can support having the 'Camry' and the 'Aurion' in different market segments when they are dimensionally equivalent, but if Ford don't do the same they'd be crazy.

But even more importantly, what does this mean for the 4Cyl Mondeo? Will Ford Oz stop the imports?

Lukeyson
Old 24-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #26
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well it's certainly unexpected and would have caught Holden off-guard but essentially Ford plans to build a Camry, and when you look at the YTD sales performance of the Camry/Aurion twins it leaves a lot more to be desired.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #27
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

Just read in the Herald Sun, Holden already have diesel Commodores being tested at Lang Lang (Proving Ground) already also have a coupe and a convertable.
They might have just beat Ford again by a few hours
Old 24-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #28
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

This must have been axed very recently. Last week or 2. It has been still under consideration and researched up until then.

If this is true, then it's not surprising as costs for the program were escalating rapidly.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 01:12 PM   #29
mcnamg

Does a 4 cylinder falcon mean bye bye Mondeo again?
mcnamg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #30
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FWD I4 Falcon anyone???

** runs and hides***