Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #31
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 
Default Re: It seems people aren't afraid to thrash their cars...

When coming through a roundabout, I'll more than happily stay in 2nd from 35-40 to the limit (around 70km/h...)
Old 05-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #32
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

All cars need a good flogging every now and then for it to run decent.

A pet hate of mine is watching people baby around new cars and wonder why they are gutless later on down the line. Its like when running in a freshly built motor. You are meant to use the full rev range and put load on the motor to help break it in properly otherwise your rings will not seal properly etc.

I agree you must not thrash your car everywhere but every now and then don't be afraid to use your rev range and open the engine up a bit.

Another big pet hate of mine is seeing cars that have been babied all there life sold off and then the new owner flogs the crap out of it and things start to break. You have to slowly get them use to revs again.

Moral of the story. Get out there and drive the car like its mean to be driven. Give it a squirt and enjoy it. If it wasnt meant to rev then the factory would of put a 2500rpm limiter in it.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #33
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
When coming through a roundabout, I'll more than happily stay in 2nd from 35-40 to the limit (around 70km/h...)
ease up there tiger......
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #34
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I generally run the EB through to 3500RPM just driving to work and such but once a week I flick it over to 98 and let the engine slurp that precious fuel all through the rev range. Especially love doing it when between big buildings and hearing the echo

Refer to my avatar for the result when planting the loud pedal.
|Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #35
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

use to carry few spare pushrods in the glovebox just in case the poor old thing span up and spat a few out....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #36
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I treat her mean to keep her keen. And with the turbo it doesn't mean red lining it etc, just means sitting in that nice fat torque curve.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #37
Scaffy
Rlegaur Mbemer

I like cruising down the freeway at 100 in 3rd. It makes it a lot easier to overtake, cos then I don't have to change gears. In 5th it drones a bit, so that's an added bonus, not having to listen to that. I'm quite paranoid about cobwebs.
[YEAH NAH] Red EL XR8 with Trick Flow top end kit, 70mm tb, 73mm maf, 24lb injectors, tweecer, 3.73s & tired T5 = 275rwhp & 13.155@105mph NA. 12.375@116.73 N2O - Off the road, awaiting 347 293ci and Astro Performance gear-kitted T5 (A5)

White EL Series II XR8, manual, high flow cats, single 3" exhaust and Quarterhorse = 236rwhp and 14.18@97.5mph - E7 heads FTW! - SOLD
Scaffy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #38
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i used to drivem pretty hard all the time in my younger days, now i`m an old fart and pensionering :( , the aim is to make the limo last, tyres ,suspension ,brakes , driveline, lasts longer if driven smoothly(and uses less fuel), but i do blow the cobwebs out now and again.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #39
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
use to carry few spare pushrods in the glovebox just in case the poor old thing span up and spat a few out....
Most hydraulic cams that ya rev to 7000+ tend to bend pushrods and push out the odd lifter or three ...

A Magnet comes in handy to retrieve the suckers as does a hammer and a straight section of concrete to belt the pushrods straight for the trip home....
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #40
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

I like the flames that exit when I hit limiter.

Ill thrash mine but its always warmed up and cooled down. Ill also spend hours each week fiddling and maintaining so when i do thrash it nothing breaks. Well, okay, I half killed my c4.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #41
FPVGT500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cars that are nannied around produce less power on the dyno ive seen time to time, dont thrash your car 24/7 but when the opportunity comes open it up its fine......
FPVGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #42
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My old car saw limiter at least twice every day it was driven

My new car is no different.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #43
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

For those not sure about how to break in and look after your engine READ THIS.

As for putting around like a granny, it'll eventually create a ridge around the top of the bore, usually carbon but can also be bore wear if it goes on long enough. Then when someone finally gives it a boot ful it suddenly breaks a ring or very shortly starts to lose compression as at high revs everything stretches microscopically and the rings start banging into the ridge that's been created at the top of the bore from slow running. How many times have you seen little Johnny inherit grandads old school, mint pride and joy which he immediately goes out and sticks the biggest wheels he can afford on it, extractors and the obligatory loud exhaust then start cruising around . Then low and behold, within a couple of months, and sometimes sooner, he's blown the diff and/or gearbox and the engine is stuffed cos little Johnny took it out and gave it a flogging after grandad babied it all it's life.

You have to give them heaps occasionally to keep them running sweet. The trick, I've found, is finding that fine line between giving it heaps and thrashing it and NEVER crossing it.

Cheers
Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 07:55 PM   #44
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Am not afraid of the odd thrashing, and have never had anything let go. Old TM magna saw 340,000k's before being traded for a 1.5 litre proton which now has 316,000k's, and my 47 year old mustang hits 90km/h in first gear.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #45
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

new cars with dohc really need to rev'd to be in a sweet rpm zone,2-3,000 rpm in a dohc engine would be nearly labouring the motor which can be just as bad as taking it beyond the redline.
as long as the motor is at a normal temp taking it to near the redline every now and then can actually be good for the motor,motors that have been babied during the run in period usually end up being dud motors.having said that its good to load the motor up during the run in period but to thrash it is a totally different thing.
same thing goes for everday driving,to give your car a work out every now and then is a good thing but to thrash it well thats going to cause greif.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #46
Parkway
I Like Turtles

So not only is it fun but it's also beneficial? This is Christmas in itself.....
Parkway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #47
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How come nobody has brought up the wear & tear on the differential and trans? Sure there is nothing wrong with cleaning out the cobwebs to prolong the life of your engine but what about the rest of the powertrain? If you have a weak trans or an old, unserviced diff, surely that won't do them any good. And given that transmissions usually cost more to repair than it does to replace an engine, wouldn't that be more important?
Old 05-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #48
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

auto trans will usually go first in a ford,especially in the later ones,the diffs are pretty good and the least of your concern.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #49
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I was an apprentice back in 2002, one of my first lessons when a car came in running a bit rough, was while out on a test drive, give it some. The car would sometimes come back running better. Working at dealership, heaps of cars that came in running rough had been babied and just need the thrash to get everything going again. Some of these cars we used to get in never seen 3000 revs.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #50
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This reminds me of dad's old VH SS 4sp M, never saw anywhere close to 3k rpm and putted to work everyday. It ran like absolute crap, idled badly and was usually running rich.
Well the last day he had it, before selling it, mum got to have a drive of it. She gave it the biggest lead footed drive it's ever had and when we got back home I had never seen it run smoother or perform better
|Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #51
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Great thread!

Coming from an old diesel background I know they need to be worked otherwise you'll glaze up the bores.

I take my BA down the freeway 3 times a week. I don't push it past 2,500rpm. I opened it up a couple of times and ended up with 3 error codes and in limP mode!

I thought a good drive would be enough to Losen out the cobwebs. Twice a week it only goes down to the station.

So should I open it up a bit? Maybe up to 4,000-5,000rmp a few times a week? Or is simply driving in rhe freeway and I to work enough (usually 50km of freeway work 3 times a week).

I don't think it's ever been driven hard in it's life. Currently has 99,000km on it.

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #52
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Open mine up all the time, might as well drive a Camry if I didn't.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 08:14 PM   #53
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think my BA GT would die if I didnt drive it hard. It loves it.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #54
BAGT514
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bouncing off the rev limiter (for those cars with) or revving until you get valve float is certainly detrimental to any engine but a bit of full throttle from time to time doesn't hurt a properly maintained and warmed up motor. Your motor shouldn't blow up just because you rev it higher than 4000... Putting crap oil in it or not changing the filters will be far more detrimental to them.

"Semi - Silhouette" 2003 BAGT #514
2007 GT500 factory supercharged motor built!

Sensation Blue 2011 FG GT-P # 101
KPM Streetfighter Monster
5.2lt MMR short motor / Stage 3 MMR heads / Boss 302 Exhaust cams
FR20 Simmons / Tein Coilovers / Eaton Tru Track / Very scared 305/25/20" Nitto Invo's
ZF fitted with a NIZPRO Stage 2 input shaft & Excedy Clutches
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11408502
BAGT514 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 08:36 PM   #55
Falcman0o7
Banned

From what ive seen and heard and done myself you just gotta give em a thrashing from time to time! dont keep em to tight! cos when you do cain it the rings will bust on the carbon build up in the cylinder
lol! seems true though? I've had many Xflows that i cained and they never missed a beat yet the old bloke next door bent pushrods driving like well....an old man!
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #56
SKYeXile
Starter Motor

While im no proper hoon, i give my car heaps, its a VE SV6(dont be hating) on 70,000k'ms, dispite a multitude of 4000rpm launches and flat out flawing it rather often, lights, overtaking, coming out of corner...etc... its still in good working order, only done the major services and scheduled repairs.

I have no doubt the transmission may go early...not my problem by then though...
SKYeXile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #57
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My car see's 3500rpm daily. And see's the redline at least once a week.

I used to be afraid to thrash my cars. But with a rumbling V8 it seams right to do it.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #58
XRDeeze
UTRIED

I guess hitting 7000rpm is a bad thing then....?

Townsville Drag 1/10/11 PB: 15.34 @ 91.09 mph
XRDeeze is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #59
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_XR603
I guess hitting 7000rpm is a bad thing then....?

I'd say you aren't trying hard enough!

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #60
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This reminds me of when I was a young apprentice in the early 70's at one of the Ford dealerships in Brisbane. We used to have an eldrely gent come in and complain that his XY GT was always running rough. When asked how he drives it he said "always obey the speed limit and never drive over 35MPH, mabye 60 on the highway".
Used to wait 30 mins after he left, go and flog the hell out of it, bring it back and it would idle so smooth. He always was very happy when he returned and it was purring like a kitten. Used to see him bring it back every so often "to get it running right"

Another time I was working in the Pre-Delivery Section and used to have some "fun" with the new cars(twin cam Escorts,V6 Capris,GT & HO's,Police "Q" cars). There was a Lime Green V6 capri that just did not sell for a while, so we disconnected the speedo cable and used for a pick up vehicle and drove like it was stolen. About 6 months later was working in the workshop and this capri came in for a service. After the service took it for it for a test run and this would have to be the quickest V6 I'd ever driven and I put it down to how it was "run in"when new.