Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #31
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Default Re: USA Trip

Yeah, you don't think the pricing is backwards.
Old 20-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #32
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wish the price would go backwards (as in lower). Might be time for us to start calculating in metric like the rest of the world though, but that's just me.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #33
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seriously, i wouldnt worry about the violence.

I have been in some pretty ****** areas, I was too tight for a taxi so we caught public busses - particulary in LA. Once people knew we were from Aus, you couldnt belive how frinedly they are.

I was once on a bus at about 11:30pm near Oakwood and ended up talking and having a great time with a whole bus load of black people that lived in the projects. Some were ex army that knew australians, another had won a trip to the hunter valley. Even the obvious gang banger types were having a laugh. All they said was not to wonder around bad parts aimlessly. Just keep your wits about you - particularly if drinking
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #34
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
Orlando Miami, eh? That's a new one.
I was typing in the car...does Orlando-Miami sound better?

Quote:
If you're paying $3.65/gal for regular gas you're getting ripped off. That's what I'm paying for premium (and I think it's insanely expensive!).
that's what I paid for fuel, not worth driving around to find a cent a gallon cheaper...it's ridiculously cheap here.

The NASA tour we did included the vehicle assembly building which hasn't been open for over 30 years.

We were able to view the last shuttle as it was being de commisioned.

It would be a pretty ordinary venue without the extra tours, the VAB tour only runs for a few months more then it closes up forever to the public.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2012, 01:13 AM   #35
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Supposedly they're going to start building "space taxis" in the VAB, but that's a few years out.

Thanks for the tip on touring it! I need to get over there again while that's open.

It's a disgrace how we've let our space program wither.
Old 26-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #36
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Supposedly they're going to start building "space taxis" in the VAB, but that's a few years out.

Thanks for the tip on touring it! I need to get over there again while that's open.

It's a disgrace how we've let our space program wither.
Not sure if this is still a go but here's some info on space taxis.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7BE21820111216

The south is known for it's bbqs and ribs. And there's the ongoing debate (for fun) - wet or dry? Which is the best ribs? Most of us are probably more familiar with the wet version which is the typical wet bbq sauce on ribs. But the dry rub on ribs is excellent too. Try both!

Oh and you mentioned buying an older Crown Vic or Camaro for your road trip? Careful with the Crown Vic, it's gas tank is located behind the rear axle in the "crush zone" of a rear impact. Something you might think about since you'll be putting heaps of mileage on this vehicle traveling cross-country on major freeways. (sorry if this is a downer for you) Safety is a priority.

Last edited by NickyN; 26-01-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 26-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #37
b055m4n

Quote:
Yeah, you don't think the pricing is backwards.
point ...taken.....i luv da pricing.
b055m4n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #38
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

I've been driving a Crown Vic for 11 years.

The fires have primarily been in police cars that were parked beside the road and were rear-ended by vehicles exceeding 70 mph. The federal crash standard for a rear impact was 35 mph, and Ford had tested the cars to 50 mph.

The police cars that caught fire tended to have trunks full of equipment that was often improperly installed (sheetmetal screw tips aimed at the gas tank).

NHTSA cleared Ford of a design flaw in the matter.

The Crown Vic is far safer in a collision than a Camaro. It fares well in most collisions, thanks to its full perimeter frame. It doesn't do so well in side impacts, also because of the frame.

But when you're in a Crown Vic, traffic tends to behave in your immediate vicinity.
Old 26-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #39
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

True, a Crown Vic is safer than a Camaro (but I'm sure some would beg to differ, esp those who love their Chevys). And you're right again, it seems other drivers behave when there's a Crown Vic around. Probably because many are used in law enforcement. It's sheer size could be a factor too.

I might be wrong but I remember reading that the NHTSA decided not to recall Crown Vics and instead decided to do a retrofit to protect the fuel tanks?
Old 26-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #40
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

NHTSA required nothing. Ford offered a retrofit and a fire suppression system as optional equipment.

The Mercury Grand Marquis, which is the exact same car, was never investigated.

The Lincoln Town Car was on the same chassis (slightly wider with a longer wheelbase) and was not investigated.
Old 26-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #41
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Re: USA Trip

Just returned from a similar 4 week road trip to the US and would be happy to share. We started in Orlando at Universal, picked up the car & headed north, through NASA, Daytona, Norfolk, Washington, Phillie, NYC, Boston over to Niagara Falls, Cleveland, Nashville, Memphis & New Orleans. We then flew to Denver for Xmas New Years with my daughter US Exchange family & had a few days in Las Vegas before heading home.
Firstly the car rental was not excessive at all for unlimited miles & the peace of mind of a new & reliable (its someone elses problem!) car - we even avoided the one way rental charges. We put over 4,000 mile on a Jeep Laredo (we'd booked as Escape) but there were 4 of us travelling & we needed the room & the security of something large if the weather turned nasty - which it didn't.
Gas prices varied from just under US$3.00 - US$3.30 per US Gallon (approx 4 litres).
Typical motel accommodation on the road was under US$40.00 per night if you stayed outside of down-town. For the larger cities we stayed closer in & paid more. Did deals a few days in advance with Expedia & similar - as we were paranoid about the weather affecting our plans.
The flexibility of the car & ease of getting around on US Freeways makes for a very relaxing trip. We picked up a new Tom Tom for US$80.00 with latest maps & traffic updates and it was worth every cent.
Never really had an issue with security; by & large good Aussie practice translates well.
Must do's on your route would be NASA, Daytona Speedway, Country Music Hall of Fame (even if you not a fan!), Jack Daniels Distillery, Beale St Memphis, New Orleans (Air Boat Tour).
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #42
vbvbvb088
vbvbvb088

Vioelence - i never saw any. Everyone advised me not to stay in Dowtown LA - so that's exactly what I did. I even deliberatley walked around at 2am in the morning. Everyone minding their own business. Walked around midnight in Central Park NYC - lots of people out and about. No worries. Police everywhere relative to here. Accent gave me away straight away - very welcoming and generous towards me... esp in remote cities. One gent at a bar I stopped to have tea at was stunned an Australian here - first ever he felt - tea on the house and I have been told my photo and car is on his bar.
vbvbvb088 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #43
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

What have you been told about violence in the USA? This amuses me.
Old 26-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #44
z80
Banned

Quote:
What have you been told about violence in the USA? This amuses me.

Violence? Muggings is something alien to australians.

The best thing we did on our trip was in Vegas we went to a shooting gallery.

Now in Aus I have a C class shooters licence which means I have a semi auto rifle for use on our farm. Very hard to get a semi auto here.

My Ruger 10-22 is a "little girls gun" according to the Gun shop dealer in Las Vegas...

He took my son and I out the back and gave us a good blast with 3 machine guns...An M16 assault rifle, an AK47 and an UZI sub machine gun.
We sprayed the targets with dozens of rounds...awesome power.

Then he topped it off with giving us 10 rounds with a Smith and Weston 50 calibre pistol.

I cannot believe people have these at home....for protection???

Sounded like a bazooka in your hand.

Definitely the highlight of a boys only trip....75 bucks it cost us.

Violence in the US? Plenty of guns here that's for sure!!!
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #45
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
The police cars that caught fire tended to have trunks full of equipment that was often improperly installed (sheetmetal screw tips aimed at the gas tank).
This would be unavoidable as at my work we've got self tappers pointing towards the fuel tank and bolts etc in our emergency vehicles (diesel though).

I'm interested in going, most likely by myself next year or the year after, can under 25 rent cars over there? Also is there much choice in type of car?

Whats it like driving on the other side of the road?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #46
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Hmm ... not sure about the age requirement these days.

I'd say there is a lot of choice in types of car to rent, but most of them aren't very interesting.

It feels perfectly natural to drive on the right side of the road!
Old 27-01-2012, 12:36 AM   #47
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Hmm ... not sure about the age requirement these days.

I'd say there is a lot of choice in types of car to rent, but most of them aren't very interesting.

It feels perfectly natural to drive on the right side of the road!
What about things like F150s etc as that is what I'd be mainly interested in renting if possible, not really interested in sports cars etc.
Old 27-01-2012, 01:14 AM   #48
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Deleted multiple post.
Old 27-01-2012, 01:15 AM   #49
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Deleted multiple post.
Old 27-01-2012, 01:15 AM   #50
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Deleted multiple post.
Old 27-01-2012, 01:15 AM   #51
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Deleted multiple post.
Old 27-01-2012, 01:16 AM   #52
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Yes, you can rent trucks. Here are the sites for three major rental agencies. You can see which vehicles they offer.

http://www.hertz.com/

http://www.avis.com/car-rental/avisHome/home.ac

http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/home.do
Old 02-02-2012, 06:30 AM   #53
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Big Damo
Whats it like driving on the other side of the road?[/QUOTE]

It's ok, it's as normal to us as it is for you driving on the left side of the road.

Our cars are left-hand drive, opposite from what you're used to in AU. (and no, just because you drive on the right side of the road it doesn't mean it's the right <a.k.a. correct or proper> side of the road. I've heard it before, it's an inside joke with someone I know.)

I've driven in Japan before. They have right-hand drive cars and drive on the left side of the road like in AU. I had no problems following the roads and turning out of driveways. BUT when I turned at an intersection, for some reason, I'd make the turn from the correct lane and out of habit I'd straighten out and head for the right side (the wrong side in Japan). It took a couple of days to be able to do these intersection turns (even felt weirder when there's a grass strip median in between) without freaking out my friends. And then once home it took a couple of days to readjust back to the right side of the road. Let's just say passengers in my car did not take this well.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:42 AM   #54
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

I know what you mean. When I visited Ireland, just going around on foot I'd get confused, so when I crossed any road I forced myself to keep looking both ways. It's very disorienting.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #55
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Which makes me wonder what it would feel like to drive on the right side of the road in a car with right-hand drive? Or left on the left? And how'd we end up driving on the opposite sides from where the steering is?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #56
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just under 8 weeks and we'll be over there cruisin' Route 66 on our way to L.A from Chicago! Cannot wait!
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #57
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'll have heaps of fun, I hope one day to cruise Route 66 too!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #58
spannerman

G'day Guys

I too am heading to the states in April can't wait to get over there.

A question for those that have been, or the locals that may be reading this. What are the car parts stores (peformance parts similar to rockett) worth looking at in LA? Obvisly there is alot. And as I will only have limited time to go shopping I dont want to waste time and go straight to the good shops.

Thanks In advance
spannerman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #59
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyN
Which makes me wonder what it would feel like to drive on the right side of the road in a car with right-hand drive? Or left on the left? And how'd we end up driving on the opposite sides from where the steering is?
LHD on our roads would be a bit awkward, there would be no way you could overtake another car because you couldn't see around them without crossing all the way into the opposite lane, plus going through the Maccas drive through wouldn't work, unless you had a passenger to order and pay .

What I was thinking about the other day is that the driver will always be sitting closer to the line in the center of the road, if you're in a RHD car like here, you drive on the left, you notice if you're on the correct side of the road you'll be closer to the line.

It would be the same for a LHD car driving in the right lane.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:25 AM   #60
XAGSV8
Member 178

The OP's planned road trip reminds me of this.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-...t-1_634485.htm

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post