Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-06-2016, 07:16 AM   #31
LTDHO
The one and only

Default Re: Anyone had a wheel fall off?

I have whee lnuts come loose on three separate occasions with two different cars. You not a moan sound from the offending wheel, I don't know how you didn't notice that!

So in both cases I just pulled over and tightened them.

Moral of the story, don't trust anyone else!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-06-2016, 07:59 AM   #32
bundybear75

One of my work mates lost a wheel on his Prado the day after a service. They had taken his aftermarket wheels off for the usual checks and when they refitted them they (the apprentice??) never installed the clips for the center caps properly and the wheel worked loose. Slow speed at a busy roundabout in Canberra. No damage done when the wheel fell off but some done dragging the hub and shock mounts to get out of the way of traffic

They found two other wheels loose for the same reason and the dealer sent a tilt tray and carried out repairs free of charge.

He was lucky, minutes before he was doing 100kph on the highway.

Many years ago I lost two drive tyres off a heavy truck when entering a small town. Not sure where the first one came off (i never found the rim) but when the second came off I knew about it. Thought id done a clutch center as I lost drive. Turns out the steel hub doesn't get good drive on bitumen. This scared me, the thought of a 100kg plus full steel rim bouncing down the road towards on coming traffic at 100kph is terrifying.
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2016, 01:48 AM   #33
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned View Post
I was with a friend in his worked old Holden and he dumped the clutch at a stop sign and snapped all 5 studs in one hit. I wasnt so funny at the time though.
i saw a funny like that too many years ago , i was working in a holden service department at the time , one of the young apprentices did a drop the clutch wheelie in an FC sedan out the back on the cement entrance to the pits in a customers car , he turned the right hand axle into a perfect carrot , he then had to go an apologize to customer and Put a another axle and fit it at his own expense .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2016, 07:34 AM   #34
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Always use a torque wrench on wheel nuts as the well run tyre places like Bob Jane do.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2016, 08:06 AM   #35
bundybear75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
Always use a torque wrench on wheel nuts as the well run tyre places like Bob Jane do.

Yet to see any tyre centre get a torque wrench out.
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2016, 09:39 AM   #36
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Yes, front wheel on my pushbike in high school. Some ***** thought it would be a good idea to undo the quick release on my GT bicycle while it was parked. Was gunning it down the street and and luckily the wheel somehow managed to barely hang onto the bike and luckily did not fly off and break my neck
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #37
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still remember the Day my Brother did a jump on his BMX & the front wheel came off
the look on his face
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #38
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundybear75 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises
In Victoria it is.

That is ludicrous. There are a lot of roads that are posted at 80km/h, as such, the speed limit up until the 100km/h sign is 80. If someone gets pinged in this manner for being x amount over 60km/h, they'd have more than a fighting chance in front of a magistrate.
Bob Jane do or it's a sacking offence.
Old 24-06-2016, 04:00 PM   #39
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

If the wheel studs are not damaged. Someone has taken off your wheel nuts.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2016, 04:02 PM   #40
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundybear75 View Post

Bull crap. I don't leave the tyre shop in my fuel tanker unless the wheel nuts are torqued to 420nm.
I lost a wheel, after hitting the gutter hard. Breaking the tie rod end off. ( not in the tanker)
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2016, 04:18 PM   #41
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf6 View Post
Bull crap. I don't leave the tyre shop in my fuel tanker unless the wheel nuts are torqued to 420nm.
I lost a wheel, after hitting the gutter hard. Breaking the tie rod end off. ( not in the tanker)
When I did my course in heavy vehicle maintenance, we used the torque wrench on every wheel nut.

Don't know if every shop does it but I've never worked for anyone that doesn't use one.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2016, 10:33 PM   #42
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have personally had wheels come loose, been lucky that ive only had trailer tyres come off. I recently had the inner wheel work loose on the workshop hino. some of the trucks at work have a tension every 50 Km warning notice from factory.

through work I had to repair loads of vehicles that had lost wheels-but most only come loose an start braking wheel studs. Its normally the left drive wheel on vehicles that are manual transmission in stop start work.
last one I saw was a patrol and had worn the studs half through without giving the driver and warning.

Lot on medium trucks use left hand thread to reduce the risk of working loose.

lot of the Japanese trucks use a single RH threaded nut on alloy rims. these depend on the hub being clean and true.

I spent a day in the 90's tensioning wheel nuts in a holding yard post assembly line. A ambulance vehicle had a wheel fall off in service. The fault was powder coating in rims.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2016, 10:47 PM   #43
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

tension wrench.
can buy a tension indicator for most wheel nut specs. normally a colour coded half inch drive item. most customers would know if it was used.

Most bigger organisations Ive worked for had calibrated air tools, Most desperate for your business companies in the Q&A days would have you hand check each nut after the vehicle after it had been driven a short distance.

These days they stick on the windscreen a indicator of repair and advise of a free retention. These days a tradesman doesn't have to be able to judge or calculate tension to be certified, that is considered to be a post trade certification called diagnostics.
Old 25-06-2016, 01:54 PM   #44
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Yes. Yes i have.

Wheel nut threads on the two nuts i found up the road when i was looking for my wheel were very ugly. Threads on studs were pretty average. Eventually somebody found my wheel in their front yard and brought it out for me.

Wobble wobble thud.

Thread needs more pics.

Turns out it damaged part of the lower ball joint and went goofy on the way to the mechanic.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2016, 02:17 PM   #45
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
Bob Jane do or it's a sacking offence.
Then all the one's at Mt Druitt should be sacked ... never seen a torque wrench used there at all.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #46
Intacoola
Need New Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davehoos View Post
tension wrench.
can buy a tension indicator for most wheel nut specs. normally a colour coded half inch drive item. most customers would know if it was used.

Most bigger organisations Ive worked for had calibrated air tools, Most desperate for your business companies in the Q&A days would have you hand check each nut after the vehicle after it had been driven a short distance.

These days they stick on the windscreen a indicator of repair and advise of a free retention. These days a tradesman doesn't have to be able to judge or calculate tension to be certified, that is considered to be a post trade certification called diagnostics.
So do most tyre & wheel shops have calibrated air tools or attached torque indicators on their rattle guns?
When you say calibrated air tools, is the applied torque then judged by the time the rattle gun is activated ?
Just trying to get an idea of how it works.
I always check the wheel nut torque after work is done on my wheels, and I have found huge differences in torque (usually over tightened).
Intacoola is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2016, 03:03 PM   #47
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
Then all the one's at Mt Druitt should be sacked ... never seen a torque wrench used there at all.

Mt Druitt I'm not surprised!
Old 25-06-2016, 04:02 PM   #48
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
Yes. Yes i have.

Wheel nut threads on the two nuts i found up the road when i was looking for my wheel were very ugly. Threads on studs were pretty average. Eventually somebody found my wheel in their front yard and brought it out for me.

Wobble wobble thud.

Turns out it damaged part of the lower ball joint and went goofy on the way to the mechanic.
I had exactly the same thing happen to me in the early 80's and ironically it was the same type of car too ('79 Subaru 4wd wagon) I had just had new tyres fitted a week or so earlier and the tyre shop obviously didn't tighten all the wheel nuts properly, it took about a week for the car to develop a wobble, I got out went around the car and looked for something obvious like a flat tyre but everything appeared OK I drove off slowly and within about 100 m it started to feel even worse, I started to slow down to a snails pace and suddenly the front end dropped wheel flew up in the air (again ironically passengers front wheel) and rolled off down the road ahead of me Luckily as I was only crawling the car pretty much stopped dead once the wheel came off so it didn't do any damage I walked down the road a bit grabbed the wheel managed to find a couple of the wheel nuts, jacked it up and put it back on, grabbed another couple of wheel nuts from a local tyre place and no more problems Scariest part for me was jacking it up and putting it back on again as I was stopped in the inside lane on the Princes Hwy at Bulli NSW just over the top of a hill They were the good old days, wouldn't even consider trying that nowadays in the same location :(

Last edited by Russ; 25-06-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2016, 05:56 PM   #49
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

rattle gun normally are a hammer style and if serviced I would expect the only way to adjust the tension is with air pressure. so each bolt will be a different tension as most will have a small air capacity. I have a old IR 3/4 drive gun that will be within 10%.

an air ratchet often can be adjusted to a set max tourque. I come across very good electric units. few years ago tool sellers flogging tension calibration units because of contractors working on mine sites needing to prove that their tools met standards.

tension bolts with lubrication of the thread-this allows the retaining method to be over clamped as you are measure rotation friction. also allows the nuts that appear tight can work loosen. I recommend lubrication/never sieze on the thread as most issues I come across is the thread is often damaged removing the nut/bolts or from dirt /rust.
Old 25-06-2016, 06:49 PM   #50
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day ... Early in 2015 I decided to drive my newly aquired BA Fairmont to a neighbouring town to put my Tattslotto tickets in.All was fine then I hit St Marys Pass , a 5.5 km stretch of windy road with steep banks and drop offs..I was about halfway down when....clunk , thump clank thump etc...I got to a place called the "quarry" , about the only place on the Pass to pull up and turn safely..I got out and couldn't see anything out of order so I decided to try and do the 10 kms or so back home..I never got above 20-25 kmh all the way and every so often the clunk noise returned. I got back eventually to our servo and the mechanic had a look around , and drove the car along the street , quickly hearing the noise..i left it there all afternoon and nervously went back up just before closing time to see what I was up for..Walked in to the office .."All good , all ready to go " he said..Turns out three of the five wheel nuts had come loose enough to cause the clunk noise on the offside rear wheel on the twisty road and the car was supposedly serviced about 10 days before when I picked it up..Luckily no damage to the studs or wheel/hub and a proper tighten fixed it all ..Could have been expensive and really dangerous..Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2016, 11:37 PM   #51
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I lost a set of duals of a tri-axle trailer in the late 70's.

Hoofing down from Nebo along a development road, get to Dingo, kick the tyres....oops.

I'm glad it happened out in the middle of nowhere.

At 100kms an hour they'd demolish a house.

ronwest is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2016, 11:42 PM   #52
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Anyone had a wheel fall off?

Only in a metaphorical sense.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post