Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-11-2015, 08:54 PM   #31
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Best way to wash K&N air filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBFWagon View Post
My BF I6 has the K&N flat style replacement filter fitted and I hav'nt washed and re oiled it since i've owned the car (15,000k's).

Just wondering whats the best solution to wash the filter in? Hot soapy water?
Or maybe some petrol or carbie cleaner in a spray can???

ALso I'm pretty sure i can buy the replacement filter oil from somewhere like Autobarn yeh???
They only need cleaning every 50,000km, so if you've only done 15,000, save your pennies and wait until it's needed. i check mine every so often, and remove it and give it a shake out if it's looking really dirty.

Just for reference, Ford charge $150+ for the replacement stock filter on the 5.0 SC engines, so a K&N or BMC/KPM is a no brainer really - pays for itself after the first change.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2015, 09:14 PM   #32
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZLR View Post
Pop it in the dishwasher

Don't re-oil it

No Bull ...
oil is part of the filter medium
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-11-2015, 09:52 PM   #33
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
They only need cleaning every 50,000km, so if you've only done 15,000, save your pennies and wait until it's needed. i check mine every so often, and remove it and give it a shake out if it's looking really dirty.

Just for reference, Ford charge $150+ for the replacement stock filter on the 5.0 SC engines, so a K&N or BMC/KPM is a no brainer really - pays for itself after the first change.
Gees I did'nt know that!

Might by a recharge kit and clean it anyways as I have only had the car for 6 months.

WHo knows what condition the filter is in???
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2015, 10:04 PM   #34
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBFWagon View Post
Gees I did'nt know that!

Might by a recharge kit and clean it anyways as I have only had the car for 6 months.

WHo knows what condition the filter is in???
That price is for the supercharged 5lt V8 engine air filter, for your wagon the OEM paper panel filter would be close to the price of a K&N cleaning kit.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2015, 12:20 AM   #35
pulpist
nope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post
Genuine k and n recharge kit is about $30 roughly,make sure you get the spray on oil and not the squeezy bottle.
Let it drip dry in the shade so the gauze doesn't degrade in the sun,will most likely take overnight to dry.
Squeeze bottle works ok after you get the hang of it, just run it along the spine of the pleat in a nice even motion. Has a tag on the outlet that you can use as a guide.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:16 AM   #36
OCTANEBOSS

Clean em as often as you can afford(as per K&N directions if thats the case) Did my mine before a run to Perth at 15,000km 10.8 km/p 100km on the way down not long ago with climate control on. Gassing it up around road trains too, cruise control about 1twin t km/ph. Missus had to drive home,she got 10.6 about the same cruise speed but that may be because I couldn't get her to drop into 3rd .. when overtaking. Dyno tuning-got like it, best fuel economy since a Nullabor run in cold-ish air. Watered down CT18 works good for the initial clean, rinse it well before applying the K&N filter cleaner, drying and oiling.
As long as you have a decent air filters in the box I think your sweet. K&N or Ford- Hate thought of dusting a good motor, like dust in your eyes, no good
OCTANEBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: