Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Which Falcon has had the most impact?
T Series 11 3.87%
XR6 3 1.06%
XR6T 182 64.08%
XR8 2 0.70%
GT/GT-P 36 12.68%
Pursuit/SP 0 0%
G6ET 15 5.28%
F6 23 8.10%
Territory 11 3.87%
Territory Turbo 1 0.35%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31-12-2009, 05:47 PM   #31
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
All you XR6T boy's just wait until the blown version of the GT hit's the street's.. All yee hail the MIGHTY GT- HO... hehe.. :
Not that I'm singling you out but this is not the thread for that and it won't last long here.

My answer to the poll - I think for me I would say GT followed by F6. As someone has already said, I missed the 70's so there were no GT'srumbling around on a regular basis for me in my childhood, however now there are. While they might not meet everybody's expectations they are still a GT and they still are one of the most well known badges available in Australia today.

I picked F6 as my second choice because I think the F6 is one of the few cars to have come straight from the Ford/FPV stable and really smacked everybody in the mouth. XR6T is no doubt the next VL Turbo with it's 'cult' status already well cemented but the F6 is the car that really got a lot of people who would never have previously to actually sit up and take notice of Ford.
Old 31-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #32
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Yep definitely the XR6T (well the turbo 6 engine really more than the actual car). The turbo 6 has taken the Falcon on a new and exciting tech path IMO. Just look at the FG range.

The return to form of FPV with the GT and F6 variants has also greatly increased the HiPo Ford street cred over the last decade. Probably really started with the T3 though.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 06:10 PM   #33
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man

The return to form of FPV with the GT and F6 variants has also greatly increased the HiPo Ford street cred over the last decade. Probably really started with the T3 though.
Go and ask a regular joe at a servo what he thinks of a T3 and the response will likely be 'a what?'. The engines were great - the marketing not so great. Gt has recognised status on it's side.
Old 31-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #34
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Quote:
All you XR6T boy's just wait until the blown version of the GT hit's the street's.. All yee hail the MIGHTY GT- HO... hehe.. :
That will be the car of the next decade, however this decade belongs to the XR6T.
Old 31-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #35
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

GT for me... followed by XR6 TURBO which started the whole T6 thing, which has been an awesome thing for Ford Australia!!

Bring on the next few years!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #36
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

It has got to be the XR6 Turbo, not only has got the whole turbo thing going (there would be no F6 or G6ET without the BA XR6T) but it has got a lot of people into Fords that otherwise would never think of buying locally built cars. At a time when the general public believes that Holden/ HSV have the superior V8 engine, it is good to know that Ford's I6T is seen by most as even better again.

A close second would have to be the Territory, at least Ford had the guts to do it properly (unlike GMH who thought it wiser to just pump up the VX wagon) and they were rewarded properly for their efforts.

As for the other options, I really see the XR6/XR8 as THE Ford of the 1990's. The T Series was finished off brilliantly with T3, but the earlier attempts were not good enough. As for the F6 and G6ET, well they wouldn't exist without the XR6T, and the GT I honestly think is very good, but still not good enough to beat an XR6T.
Old 31-12-2009, 07:25 PM   #37
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

The whole BA series. After Ford made the most ugliest car ever in the AU, to come back and turn it all round with the BA ( Especially XR6T and GT ) was a great effort. Near wet my pants when I saw that first add of the Silver BA XR6 on the TV........
Old 31-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #38
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMHO T3 followed by XR6T. Those who know about the T3 respect the fact that Ford put a factory stroker together and warrant it.
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #39
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

The T3 for me because it was fords first real attempt in many years at building a real hi-performance car and what a car it was the engineering that went into it and the body styling paved the way for the B series cars that followed and the rest is history ford performance was back.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #40
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

IMHO i think the T Series and moreso the T3 really takes the cake, it was fords first real attempt at a V8 street fighter, that could take the fight to the red corner
Old 31-12-2009, 08:42 PM   #41
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
By far the best Ford Ad ever done, i use to feel proud watching this ad, Just watched it again and got tingle up the spine watching it. They should do the exact same ad just with the FG in it.
Old 31-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #42
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

XR6 Turbo by far and poll reflects this too, Car was better than it could have been with big turbo and strong engine.
Old 31-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #43
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM0KED
I love the FPV GT but voted the XR6 Turbo based on popularity. I Beleive the GT had more impact on myself BUT XR6's are in ubundance with enthusiasts.

I want to change my VOTE!!!

I agree....As a GT owner I just can't ignore the huge impact the XR6T has had. If it's not a revolution for Ford it comes pretty damn close.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #44
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76txcoupe
Xr6t due to it's affordability, performance, mod market and practicality for family use. It's a fantastic car for all those reasons
For sure - excellent bang for the buck, versatility and performance only a big V8 could match/surpass in a large car. It is almost guaranteed to be very popular in the 2nd hand market for years to come and will have the status of the VL Turbo if not better. The engine was made and developed right here in Australia, instead of running off to another manufacturer for the engine like they did with the VL.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #45
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for me the ba gt, while others are/were dam good, the ba started the gt on it way again.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #46
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

It has to be the BA series, the XR6 Turbo turned so many more people blue, things wouldn't be the way they are now without the BA and the almighty Turbo 4ltr 6!
Old 01-01-2010, 10:55 PM   #47
Paxton
Cobblers!

Territory here.

Territory saved Ford in Australia. While the XR6 Turbo may have improved the car in the eyes of the enthusiasts, Territory brought just as many, if not more first time Ford customers across from other brands. Territory had Toyota and Holden running scared, and its former sales success proved this. It is just a shame that the big wigs at Ford left it un-changed for so long. Bring on Diesel and a new look, and Ford might just have Toyota running scared again.

Edited twice for clarity.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.

Last edited by Paxton; 01-01-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2010, 11:14 PM   #48
gonders
Starter Motor

Voted XR6T myself.
Wanted one since they came out.
Was able to get one 2 years ago when we had the money and the price was right. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it!

Happy XR6T owner!

P.S. Still love the ford V8's!
gonders is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2010, 11:14 PM   #49
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Well i went for the G6ET....although it was a tough call over the XR6T and the Territory.

I think the Territory was such an important car for ford aus....it was something a bit different and showed the local outfit could engineer an SUV from the falcon base that was better then the sum of its parts. Interior and handling major standouts...the latter still unbeaten save BMW X5 despite years with no changes.

XR6T....for a whole host of reasons, not least of which it put holden well and truly in its place. It was a great drive, had huge grunt and yet was as docile as a mouse.....if you wanted it to. Damn fine value.

I went for the G6ET because to me it had the biggest impact. Sales wise it shifted the falcon (as did the entire FG lineup) upmarket, its taken it above just a 'fleet hack' and into a desirable, aspirational purchase (even if the dealer network isn't up to its level...). It has combined the history of falcon (big, comfortable, luxurious, powerful etc.) and combined that with the XR6T legacy....old school cubes with some modern tech that can blow your socks off when you want it to. Oh and with the ZF tranny and that new FG cashmere interior.....well it still amazes me what has been done by the aussie mob on the pitance of a budget.... It still seems so much more expensive then it really is every time you're in one.....let alone when you drive it. If the CEO of Ford globally wants one, then that's enough for me LOL!

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #50
Chopped
as in chopped

Performance wise

XR6T - fast and cheap to make it faster.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:43 PM   #51
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I went for the GT .... made a huge impact and did alot for FORD at the time. In perception alone it just told everyone out there that they were serious. The Turbo would have to be the close 2nd ..... I think that surprised FORD with how well it has actually gone and in the last part of years would be the G6ET .... scooping all awards, new name, great looks inside and out and power to boot!

The Territory of course has to be in there for a totally new vehicle and direction for FORD Aus and was a huge gamble that paid off. Just the fact that after all this time, it still sells with very very minimal changes.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #52
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

I should have given the Tezza more consideration when voting for this, it certainly helped with volume sales for Ford even if it will contribute to the wagon's demise. I never forget thinking about the masterstroke of offering RWD only version too for all those people who like the 'command' seating postion without the stigma of owning a "4x4".

At the end of the day I still would vote the XR6T, it's changed the attitudes towards Aussie performance in a way the Holden only dreamed of with the supercharged V6 (who actually remembers the HSV XU6 anyway?). Sure there will be die hard V8 boys, but it's the turbs that seems to be getting the aspirational sales. Ask the young fellas what they want and the answer is increasingly turbo.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #53
FPVF6X201
Formerly FPVwannabe

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Slotted front rotors for the TTG write-up and pics. 

I voted the Terry Turbo, which really is just a bigger (and better?) XR6T. Plus no one else voted for it lol.

Borla ATAK axle back exhaust.
Hawk ceramic brake pads.
CLStech Ribbon DRL mod.
X Lume illuminated grille badge.
Injen CAI.
FPVF6X201 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #54
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

XT6T, it gave Ford some long needed performance credibility and gave them access to to another market segment, the younger turbo crowd. Stock it was/is quick with some mods even quicker.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:21 AM   #55
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

XR6 Turbo for me. Although it wasn't perfect, especially series 1 BA, most problems were confined to the whole model, rather than the turbo motor. It did however tick just about every performance box for it's time, and hasn't failed to deliver as a package since.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 07:44 AM   #56
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
For me it was the proper return of the GT!!.. :
All you really got was the proper bastardisation of the GT!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 07:52 AM   #57
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

The XR6T was just a falcon with a turbo. Not the first time Ford has done it. XE and EA. But it was a stunningly well put together package. I was at Willowbank when Ford gave the XR6 and XR* Club of QLD a T for us to display. It was sort of an unofficial unvieling for the BA. I was amazed, having seen previous efforts, how "Factory" the Turbo install was!

That said I chose the Territory, opened up a complete new motoring segment for Ford, one it still virtually holds to itself. Pretty mundane looks, and abhorent fuel economy seem to have held it back a little, but it has the most varients of all the falcon based models. Will we ever see a Diesel or a V8?
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #58
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

T-Series:
A brave attempt at making a Euro style performance vehicle that simply failed to connect with the public until it got turned into a boy racer (T3). By that time (of course) the series was already clinically dead but at least they managed to turn a reasonably decent engine out of the remainng Windosr blocks. The Series EFFECTIVELY killed the Tickford badge in this country and for that reason alone it doesn't merit a placing.

XR6:
Significant in a way because it became the darling of the user chooser brigade but outclassed in this company.

XR6T:
There is no doubt that the engine in this vehicle will be long remembered as a modern classic and a triumph of engineering but as a vehicle it actually didn't really have the impact on sales in the early years that it perhaps should have and you can't escape the fact that the early versions were a bit on the crude side. 3rd place

XR8:
A nice package in many ways, the BA series almost killed it up against the turbo thanks, in part, to a pricing strategy that left it considerably more expensive than the XR6T. Doing OK in FG but the only significance of the XR8 in this past decade may be that it is the last of the line.

GT/GT-P:
Can stake a claim on the basis that it revived an iconic badge and introduced a whole new generation to that nameplate. That it was lumbered with an engine that was ill suited to it, had substantial build quality issues and has hardly set the sales world on fire; relegates it outside the places in my book.

Pursuit/SP:
As above but with the added disadvantage that these vehicles are still equipped with a live rear axle in this day and age.

G6ET:
While it might be a little early in the model life, I am going to hand my 1st place to the entire G-Series range and therefore the G6ET as the pinnacle of that range. The remarketing of the almost dead Fairmont / Ghia nameplates in this manner was a (rare) stroke of marketing genius from FoA and the vehicles are worthy in their own right. That the series has completely turned the sales model mix upside down will ensure a better chance of profitability in the years ahead (despite the lower overall volumes) and as long as the guys at Campbellfield don't do a Territory on it this should end up being the most significant entry of the decade.

F6:
As for XR6T except lower down the order thanks to the poor value equation.

Territory:
In many ways this was the salvation of FoA during the earlier part of this decade. Very clever repackaging of existing components and developed with a budget that wouldn't pay for a Mercedes exterior mirror redesign; it is a credit to Ford (and the balls of Geoff Polites) that has seen it almost become the de facto suburban standard. It is relegated to 2nd place simply because Ford neglected it badly and in the latter part of the deccade it has become something of a sad caricature of itself.

Territory Turbo:
An answer to a question nobody really asked.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #59
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Absolutely - my sentiments exactly!

GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Impact on performance motoring - without doubt the XR6T....
Impact on motoring in general - Territory (soccer mums weapon of choice)
Impact on me personally - BA GT (the legend returns)

Though my favourite car of the decade would have to be the G6ET for its sleeper looks and ball-tearing performance...
And a close second is the BF GT-P for the colour/stripe packages (not including the 40th anniv/cobra GT which I hate both with a passion).

Thats my 2 cents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #60
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

I think it boils down to what generation you ask.But for Fords sake it was the BA in general.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post