Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-12-2009, 09:28 PM   #31
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what so the plan is to get the car using fradulent credit card leaving you without a car and without payment? yes? or do they just want to get into you for money? all these scumbags trying to get money dishonestly here's an idea go earn it honestly like the rest of us we work hard to get our belongings fairly and legally, theifs are the worst kind of scum and I would never ever let stuff leave my sight until the cash is in my damn hand and I will not be giving out $ for whatever crap they want you to do, and besides who buys a car whilst being "overseas" or whatever its absolute bullplop get back then go buy a car that way you can look at it, drive it etc...

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 09:47 PM   #32
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Never heard of this before, but seems to be pretty common from the looks of things. Hopefully nobody has become a victim to this.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 02:10 AM   #33
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NEVER THINK PAYPAL IS THE END OF IT!

its happened to me and i got stung, i was paid $1500 US for an item i sold on the net, money cleared on paypal and i sent it to my bank account after paypal takes their cut

then i see the person is putting through a dispute saying unreceived goods which was a blatant lie, they were delivered on payment
so paypal take the money and tell me i owe them $1500 US adn they are investigating claims
i put the money back (i had like $1390 after paypal stole some) so i had to put some of my own money up to clear my account
fast forward 2 weeks and the money was returned and won the case after speaking to them numerous times... so i get my money back AFTER paypal takes ANOTHER cut...

so i spend ALL the money buying shiny things for people (it was last december and i didnt have a job at the time) and january comes and i get an email from paypal telling me the scammers bank had just issues a chargeback and paypal reckon they are absolutely powerless to stop it so there goes $1500 US from my paypal account which i had to make up out of my own money with no job to stop paypal harassing me even though THEY were the ones who let the money go

this is why i will never ever use paypal for any amount over $100
take my story as advice, even when you think its legit, even when you think youve beaten a scammer, there is always ways for them to get back at you

i cant understand whod pay for a car on paypal anyway, i always say this
get a bank deposit or cash! i dont trust anything else
my mate got offered $12000 for an old nissan NX he was flogging off for $4000 and nearly got scammed until i told him above story!
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #34
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR
Exact same thing happened to me and my car about a week ago. Emailed them told them to call never heard back.
same happened too me selling my dirtbike aswell on bikesales...dodgy stuff i say
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #35
David222
Starting out with the V8

Default Scammers

I was getting 3 or 4 of these scammers e-mailing everyday most supplying no phone number or one which doesn't work. So even the ones with a half baked grasp of the english language were easily identified as fake from the invalid phone number supplied. These days you cant even buy a prepaid Sim card without some form of ID so it's fairly hard to have a phone number and no one know who you are at least inside Australia as such they are not interested in using a phone as they could be identified or traced.

Personally I doubt at any stage with any of the scammers that were e-mailing me that they would actually be interested in physically taking your car with an agent. That would be much higher risk and the police would have a lot better chance catching the scammers than they do against anonymous buyers using stolen or fraudulent unidentified e-mail accounts from god knows where. Taking it to the stage of actually taking the car would mean they would have to be very organized and I think they are more "Opportunist" Scammers than criminal masterminds.

I think the scam is purely aimed at getting you to pay an "Agent" with something like western union which is unrecoverable and untraceable. Once you make this payment they would just disappear with your money and any paypal payment or other method of uncleared payment they have sent you would inevitably be frozen or returned to the holder of the credit card they have stolen, you would never see any money for the car, no one would be turning up to pick it up, you would be still stuck trying to sell it, just your wallet would be lighter after being fleeced paying a scammers imaginary agent.

While there is probably not much law enforcement can do about these clowns, in my case it was disappointing that it took Carsales 3 days to reply to an E-mail I sent them questioning the E-mails as a scam. 3 days is not really good enough anyone who took their bait would have lost their money long before 3 days, and I think the turn around on questions regarding fraudulent activity should be answered a lot quicker than they are by these websites staff. Which I think is something Carsales and other sales websites in general could and should address if there is nothing that can be done about the scammers.
His: 2015 FGX XR8 Kinetic
David222 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 09:00 PM   #36
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Bunch of pr!(ks. I'm glad you didn't get scammed mate. Just remember, anyone who got scammed out of money got off lightly. Nigel Brennan and that canadian journalist got kidnapped in somalia and held ransom for 18 months before relasing them after receiving their ransom money. Stuff these third world countries and thier dodgy scamming shyte!
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #37
cakes

I am in the process of selling my FG XR6 Turbo and have been getting heaps of these same stupid emails. The 1st one I thought, ok maybe its ok, but as soon this person had said they would buy the car and pay an extra 850 so I could send 750 by western union to pay his agent as he was at sea, didn't have his credit card with him I told him to get f##ked and have replied to every other email with call me to discuss - will not deal with buyers by email. What a pain in the ***!
cakes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #38
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Western Union is the epitome of SCAM.
IMO, Western Union should be shut down.
Pay Pal is now rapidly replacing Western Union for scams too.
Top Tip, never sell a vehicle to some twat from overseas.

Also, Paypal and Ebay are absolute gobshytes when it comes to resolving these matters; they're simply not interested. Ergo I never even visit stupid sites like Egay.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #39
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

CAKES,had same thing happen to me (us),with our xp ute ,bloke was at sea said it was a surprise birthday gift for his father in darwin,(im in queensland)he put all the funds in my paypal account including the extra for transport,but got paypal not to release funds to us until we put money($700 odd for transport) in an account of his choice (offshore account of course !!),we refused and told him to pay his own freight ,he got a little aggitated ,started jumping up and down ,got paypal on his side ,paypal got a little upset with us,(at this stage we were a little sus of the whole thing )we keeped asking him questions and were getting different answers(so we pulled the plug on the whole thing),funnily enuf he withdrew all his money from our paypal account,we reported the whole thing to paypal,(sent them a copy of all emails from this SCAMMER),he is now under investigation
1 week later we got another email from some other boof head trying to do the same thing ,told paypal straight away and this new person is under investigation to
be carfull people SCAMMERS are trying anything and everything to get your/our money
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #40
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Do you still have it for sale? i will like to make an offer $4,500 for this,payments will be through paypal and i will arrange the pick up well. Cheers, Mark..

Just got that, take it its the scam?

Ive just replied back to call me.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #41
gocruzin
Ford tragic

It wouldn't surprise me if paypal was in on the scams seeing as how they get their cut out of it regardless of the outcome, twice in some occasions.
Old 29-12-2009, 09:40 PM   #42
toppo
Starter Motor

Default Scamming the scammer

Hi!
My name is Andrew and I live in Canberra..
I did a Google search on this clown and came up with this post.

I have had this same fellow trying to scam me for $800 for transporting a table to WA for him! .. Again as in your experiences Western Union was how I was supposed to send money to his english address. This time he sent an email that looked like it came from Pay Pal .. showing that he had deposited close to $4000 in my name ... When I logged into Pay Pal it was not there!
I never let him know that I was onto him .. so he kept at me and I had some fun with him!
I sent the email to Pay Pal and they were quite interested and said that they would disable it!
We got to the stage where he actually rang me ... He sounded seriously Bangladesh or indian ... said he was calling from new Zealand ... He was using Skype or some such, as it dropped out quite soon!

Today I sent him an email of my own ... I'd love to see his face when he reads it ... I have tagged the reply box .. so I will know when he opens it!!

Now we can have a laugh at him!!
:

><><><><><><<><:<><><><><<<><><><<

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Payment $800!!
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 13:24:05 -0800
To: troy-clifford <troy.clifford@aussiemail.com.au>

Hi Troy!!
Mate! ... sorry to be so late with a reply ... You know how it is at Christmas time ... Its all go, and lots of parties and beer!
Look ... The good news is that I sold the table ... So I don't have to pay you $800 up front with no guarantee that I'll get my money back!!

Anyway ... Due to Christmas ... we were a bit slower than usual here!
Did I tell You that I used to work for the Australian Federal Police? ... Well I did ... I used to be their Computer Centre Manager a few years ago ! The guys were all interested in this little venture of yours ... You probably know that we can't prosecute this sort of scam here yet, ( not long now ) ... but never the less, it does produce some interest ..... mainly in old guys who are retired, like me! ... We were in stiches over your accent when you rang up ... Fantastic ... Mr Troy Clifford .. Dinkum Ozzie bloke! ... From New Zealand!! ... Ha Ha! ... very good! ... Pay Pal were most interested in your fraudulent email too .. Well done !

Anyway ... I'm sorry its taken longer than usual, but we got there ... We now know your name , where you are, what you do, what you look like, and where you go! ( thats some interesting photos on your computer!! ) ... So its all good mate! ( as they say here ) ... You are about to get a visit from a couple of our operatives ( freelance .. ex black ops ) ... I think I've talked them out of what they were suggesting .. after all you were friendly, and didn't want much, so they will be lenient! They are only going to cut off two of your fingers!
Don't panic mate !! It won't hurt ... they are well trained and they use anaesthetic!!
I would warn you though, not to make too much fuss, cos they are alowed to break at least one leg if you give them trouble!

They should pay you a vist shortly ... They are really good at what they do ... You would never pick them for who they are ... Particularly the lady !! That might be them knocking on your door now!

Anyhow ... Look .. its been fun!

Have a happy new Year mate!!

Regards

Andrew!
toppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2009, 05:59 PM   #43
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's one I just received...

Thanks for the mail and am willing to offer you $32,200 for the Car ..I will like to buy it now,i am buying it for my dad and i am at sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and i really want it to be a surprise for my dad so i won't let him know about it until it gets delivered to him,i am sure he will be more than happy with it .I insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking,but i can pay from my PayPal account,as i have my bank a/c attached to it,i will need you to give me your PayPal email address and the total amount am paying you. Pls if you don't have PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com.au and get it set up , after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through.I have a pick up agent that will come and pick this up after i have made the payments...

I would have loved to talk to you on phone but i am a marine engineer I work mainly on sea, our phone is down on the sea right now due to bad weather, we can only communicate with our base for now.

Thanks !!
Sean
JACK250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2009, 06:49 PM   #44
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Has no one thought that, if they can pay you via Paypal, why couldnt they pay their 'agent' with Paypal. These emails have all the signs of being a scam. I got a couple of similar ones a while ago on a couple of different items. For one item the same guy sent me 2 different emails offering 2 different prices. The second one being higher.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2009, 07:54 PM   #45
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just to let you guys know I've had the same thing through Boatpoint where my boat is advertised. Big scam running at the moment I'd say.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #46
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I know its not a car, This is a discussion I had with a non paying bidder recently. I knew something was sus when I couldnt get a contact number from them. I used some other sources to find out the bidders name, address, contact number etc..... Once I let them know I knew that it all went very quiet. logical questions seem to stump these buggers.

Obviously they dont seem to like people knowing who they are either.

Dear keraijen,

it will be mr gareth lewis for the house of 10 roseberry street , tunstall , stoke on trent , staffordshire , st6 6ln thanks

- myland12 Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: myland12
Subject: Re: myland12 has sent a question about item #190358115892, that ended on 17-Dec-09 09:49:00 AEDST - House for rent or rent to buy 0% vendor finance option!
Sent Date: 17-Dec-09 11:10:22 GMT

Dear myland12,

Hi again,

I can send an agreement through via email very quickly.
Payment is best done via bank.

BSB 012615
Account 587708285

Who will maintain the property in the 18 months your brother is not in Australia.?

Is this Scarlet Lewis?
Of TUNSTALL , STOKE ON TRENT?

When will you be able to pay the deposit to secure the property?

Is your number still 017828879087

Thanks,

Roy

- keraijen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: keraijen
Subject: Re: myland12 has sent a question about item #190358115892, that ended on 17-Dec-09 09:49:00 AEDST - House for rent or rent to buy 0% vendor finance option!
Sent Date: 17-Dec-09 22:00:25 AEDST

Dear keraijen,

thats fine how does my brother pay you by paypal or bank best wishes , how long will it take to get contract because of christmas holidays do you think thanks again

- myland12

Sent Date: 17-Dec-09 01:10:48 GMT

Dear myland12,

Hi if interest rates didn't move repayments would be $487.47 on a 25 year basis. Plus you have rates and water of about $100 per month and you will need structural insurance. I am replying on a phone and it would be much easier to speak with you, is there a number I can call you on?

- keraijen

Sent Date: 17-Dec-09 12:00:44 AEDST

Dear keraijen,

that probably would be better how much would that be monthly at 2 percent over base rate thanks

- myland12

Sent Date: 17-Dec-09 00:55:40 GMT

Dear myland12,

Hi again do you mean $1000 deposit and commence paying off the $60,000 at 2 percent above the bank rate - currently 8.81 percent? Sure - I don't mind what option you go with. We just need to agree on a solicitor to look over our agreement and I need to get the $1000 deposit from you. What number can I call you on?
Roy

- keraijen

Sent Date: 17-Dec-09 11:48:14 AEDST

Dear keraijen,

do you think the second option would be better then thanks

- myland12

Sent Date: 17-Dec-09 00:30:59 GMT

Dear myland12,

Hi there, yes that is possible, the weekly rent is $115 so over 18 months that's about $8280. Call 68849500 - century 21 dubbo, ask for Karen to arrange the lease. Someone will need to maintain the property while it is empty though - lawns to be mowed, house to be cleaned etc... Keep in mind that if you are renting the property and not buying it, the agreement to sell the property is now, not in 18 months. The property might not be for sale in 18 months.
Please give me a call on XXXXXXXXXXXXX.

- keraijen

Subject: myland12 has sent a question about item #190358115892, that ended on 17-Dec-09 09:49:00 AEDST - House for rent or rent to buy 0% vendor finance option!
Sent Date: 17-Dec-09 09:53:29 AEDST

Dear keraijen,

i have got this for my brother who moves out to aus in 18 months time is it possible to rent the house until he arrives best wishes and thanks

- myland12

House for rent or rent to buy 0% vendor finance option!

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2009, 08:54 PM   #47
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Then I had a "sailor at sea" too.... I dealt with him.

Duh - if you can access ebay, you can access internet banking and transfer the money to me bonehead.

Dont get caught up in the money..... keep asking yourself, what is logical.... would I do that?

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2009, 09:06 PM   #48
djjase
IT JUST GET'S BETTER

This is such an old scam. About 4 years ago I had a guy wanting to buy C4 gearboxes I was selling for $650.00. He sends a cheque for $4000 then sends you a email stating he had sent the wrong amount. He says keep $3000 and send back $1000 via Western Union. Most of these scams come out of Nigeria. This one was reported to the AFP as I was in Canberra at the time. I run an online shopping site so I get lots of orders that are scams.

Some tips I use - (1) Never ever let anything go without receiving the payment. Either cash on pickup or cleared in the bank account first.

PayPal - Apart from the Fees, they can report item not as described, PayPal takes the money back and ends up giving it back - see my story here: http://liarlist.com/?p=24

Western Union - Never send money to people you don't know. Ok to send money to family or friends otherwise stay away from
djjase is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2009, 10:55 PM   #49
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
Then I had a "sailor at sea" too.... I dealt with him.
LOL that wouldn't be "Toby Allen", illiterate "ship's engineer" would it?
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post