Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #31
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default Re: Selling a car privately

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92 View Post
For test drives, my method would be:
- double check with your insurance provider on coverage for other drivers
- no drivers under 25, as they are likely not covered at all
- sight and jot down the details of the potential buyers drivers licence
- definately go with them for the drive
- let the buyer politely know that if the speed limit is exceeded or the car is thrashed,
then the test drive is over
Seriously, no under 25s???? Your shunning a potential target group of buyers - nothing more than discrimination IMO.
Test drive over if speed limit is exceeded??? They're test driving a v8 Falcon, not a bloody Prius!

At the end of the day, I'd let somebody else do to my car what I would do to someone elses car if I was taking it for a test drive - even if it means fanging it in the backstreets of a certain suburb on a sunny January afternoon....

It's a Ford Falcon, not a Ferrari 250 GTO
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #32
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms View Post
Seriously, no under 25s???? Your shunning a potential target group of buyers - nothing more than discrimination IMO.
Test drive over if speed limit is exceeded??? They're test driving a v8 Falcon, not a bloody Prius! ....
I think you will find that most comprehensive insurance policies on V8s and
turbo 6's do not provide cover for any driver under 25, unless specifically
listed. The latter probably trebles the cost of the policy.

I stand by my speed limit preference..... it's just a personal thing. A 110km
test drive can easily be done on a highway or freeway nearby. I heard of
a local bloke here taking a BF turbo ute out for a test drive with a dealer
and he cranked it up to 200 just out of town... An extreme example, but just
not on in my book.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #33
Spurious

I'm not paranoid, just cautious. I posted that info in the stolen car thread after reading some horrific posts. Example is an owner of a very expensive car who was locked out of the vehicle. The thief sat in the drivers seat, started the donk, & promptly shut the door & locked it when the owner stepped away. The thief then drove off. It probably wouldn't hurt to ask for a urine sample though too, check for track marks & shine a torch in the buyers eye's to test pupil reaction!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #34
Oldbugger

Went shopping yesterday and visited a couple of dealerships. Have ended up trading the car plus 20K and now will take possession of a new White SC GT. Nothing fancy, auto with black stripes. Dealer didn't have the car is stock so it will be a BOS unit or will have to be built (my option). Thanks for all your help as the private sell did worry me but I think this is a good result. Pictures will follow once I take delivery
Oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #35
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Congrats mate on the purchase.... Enjoy!!!
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #36
GT014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbugger View Post
Went shopping yesterday and visited a couple of dealerships. Have ended up trading the car plus 20K and now will take possession of a new White SC GT. Nothing fancy, auto with black stripes. Dealer didn't have the car is stock so it will be a BOS unit or will have to be built (my option). Thanks for all your help as the private sell did worry me but I think this is a good result. Pictures will follow once I take delivery
What actual price you ended up getting for the new SC if I may ask ? Around $55k I'm guessing with that change over?
Old 11-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #37
Oldbugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT014 View Post
What actual price you ended up getting for the new SC if I may ask ? Around $55k I'm guessing with that change over?
$58K Drive Away
Oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #38
Guzz226

Which dealer? Good to know how in Melb is ready to do a good deal.
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post