Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-06-2015, 08:05 PM   #31
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Top 8 Aussie Motoring Wins/Fails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Only thing going for is its price? Are you joking?

It is one of the best riding and best handling SUVs under 100k! It has an incredibly useful and interior with lots of cargo spots. Very refined and quiet diesel motor, It has the widest rear seats out the soft roaders and can tow more than a Prado.
Make that under $70,000 - the X3 has a slight (but only slight!) edge in ride and handling.

There was also a huge market that it unlocked at the time, as evidenced by its burst of initial sales. Already for at least a decade there was increasing demand for family SUVs that weren't a 4WD offroader. Everybody wanting such a vehicle was forced from lack of choice to drive around in what were basically offroad trucks that handled like a dog on road, with poor primary safety to match (with the partial exception of Range Rover).

What they needed was a crossover, a high step-in road car without a transfer box and the only one on the market at the time, the BMW X5, was unaffordable to most. AWD was not necessarily needed either. Territory provided all this at a popular price level - an X5 for half the price. Even today, nothing short of a BMW matches its on road driving qualities and interior space and practicality.

It's certainly a win but it then attracted a host of faux imitators and the neglect and final axe of Mr One Ford.
Old 19-06-2015, 11:14 PM   #32
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a cross over the Subaru outback was /is light years ahead of Territory, I made the mistake of listening to my wife and moved from an Outback 3.0 H3 to a Territory and I literally went from one of my favorited cars to the single worst car ownership experience I have ever experienced....I bet the Forester would be a better car too.

The only thing the Terry had over my Subbie was an obvious size advantage. but that came at the compromise of ride, handling, acceleration, economy, fit, finish, quality, reliability, safety. The only win I had was finding a dude stupid enough to the take it off my hands.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2015, 11:46 PM   #33
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
The only thing the Terry had over my Subbie was an obvious size advantage.
A somewhat significant detail that nullifies everything else you have to say.

Check all the internal dimensions and you'll see it's at bottom of class down with Captiva, almost RAV4 size. Are we talking about cars for Australian families or dwarfs? Subarus have always been cramped inside. The Japanese were never good at getting maximum space out of a car.

Build quality is a theme that runs through the entire history of the Australian motor industry (indeed Australian industry). It was always a struggle and hardly unique to Territory. If that's what you want to go by then there are no Australian achievements to talk about at all.
Old 20-06-2015, 12:17 AM   #34
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Also glad to see AU not on the fail list.

It got a bad rap but it went up against the hugely popular VT Commodore, and at the same time Ford decided to reduce fleet incentives on the Falcon to focus more on private buyers so it did struggle sales wise for a bit.

But for private buyers they did sell well, out here in cattle country QLD, they were everywhere literally months after release.
Yeah I wasn't going to put the AU on, I've owned a couple and as an 8 year old, I found it so different and cool compared to other cars
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-06-2015, 11:08 AM   #35
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
A somewhat significant detail that nullifies everything else you have to say.

Check all the internal dimensions and you'll see it's at bottom of class down with Captiva, almost RAV4 size. Are we talking about cars for Australian families or dwarfs? Subarus have always been cramped inside. The Japanese were never good at getting maximum space out of a car.
Not at all, look at sales, bigger cars down smaller cars up.

Not sure about other peoples kids, my 8 year old is 1.3m tall, my 5 year old is 1.1m tall. Why do I need a Territory size SUV and go backward on every other aspect of motoring, that's a large compromise to make for no benefit.

AS pointed out considering sales I think most of the car buying public probably agree with me.
Old 20-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #36
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not really that simple looking at sales. Territory was pretty much on its own when it was released, now as an 11 year old design it's competing against a plethora of other models and doing pretty well I might add.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2015, 11:38 AM   #37
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I'd say they were both accurate lists. The Territory was a brilliant thing, even though it did have a few quality issues. The fact that it still drives better than just about any SUV on sale today proves how brilliant the original design was.
Similar situation with the EA Falcon I'd suggest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
I was too young to know but was the EA really as bad as history says? I owned one as my first car and never had an issue with it.
No, not as bad, but nearly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
The very early EAs were rubbish, especially the 3.2 litre.

They did improve quickly however, by the time you get to EBII, they were a very good car.

Dr Terry

You don't have to go to the EBII - by mid 1989 most of the EA's problems were fixed. They were a great car apart from the early quality issues. Ford just over extended themselves at the time - rushed the EA to market earlier than they needed to, while at the same time they were developing the Capri for the international market. Ford Australia just couldn't cope. Add to that the fact the EA was the most revolutionary new Falcon ever released before or since - new OHC engines, new steering, new front suspension and an entirely new body.

And yes, they looked absolutely stunning - actually that was the marketing slogan - Ford Falcon, Absolutely Stunning. Most agreed it was a great looking car. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but they should have released it a year later, quality sorted, 4 speed auto would have been ready - things would have been very different.

EDIT - Ford Falcon - Simply Stunning I think it was, not Absolutely Stunning.

Last edited by tranquilized; 20-06-2015 at 11:43 AM.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #38
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
I disagree with the Mitsubishi 380 comments.
Always the same comments,
(they hate the look of it, but noone can fault it mecahnically or the build quality.)
what killed Mitsubishi?

The journos that are now trying to kill Ford....incessantly.
The journos killed the 380? I clearly remember when it came out that it was obviously a poor attempt - it was ugly, underspeced, underpowered, underwhelming in every way - yet Wheels and Motor were frothing at the mouth over the thing. Wheels even put out a separate magazine dedicated to it's development. The vibe I picked up at the time was the local journos desperately wanted the 380 to do well, and in turn the local industry, cause that's the only thing that keeps them relevant.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2015, 11:45 AM   #39
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Not really that simple looking at sales. Territory was pretty much on its own when it was released, now as an 11 year old design it's competing against a plethora of other models and doing pretty well I might add.
And after 11 years, with some of its features slipping behind, it still manages to achieve this sort of ranking:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/281247/f...uv-comparison/
Old 20-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #40
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Subaru forester is the SUV of choice locally. followed by FWD Xtrail.
territory gets a look in in the trailer towing needs.
I shake my head when I see soccer mum vehicle-sporting locals normally have economy cars like mirage-excel as the matches are all over the region and often in different directions for the different family members.

those in need of a larger forester buy liberty. My boss had a high spec liberty wagon as work vehicle-this year he had a VW golf.
My brother has a blue liberty sedan and only recommended to tow a small box trailer. so he kept his VY wagon trade to tow the boat. It was claimed it was over priced due to long waiting times till they walked in to order one and do the deal.

The outback was a long awaited disappointing dog when first released, Most thought the american specs would come here. I heard lots of talk about the diesel but seam to be over priced. I have neighbours that purchased Outback second hand for bargain basement throw away prices--and are very happy with them except for fuel economy.
High milage vehicles can be purchased for hundreds of dollars due to front suspension electronics and engine repair cost.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2015, 01:11 PM   #41
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And after 11 years, with some of its features slipping behind, it still manages to achieve this sort of ranking:

WOW to me that looks like a brand new Territory being reviewed.

Applying your convoluted logic:
  • The jeep is 40 years old
  • Toyota is 15 years old
  • Mazda 10 years old
  • Nissan 30 years old
Old 20-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #42
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Don't be ingenuous. It simply means (as all the reviewers say) that the Territory hasn't received the level of investment and model renewal attention that overseas models have. It's still little changed in its basic form and showing its age. It's competing with cars that have been updated better or in a new generation (like the Subaru).

Somebody did test it against the Subaru though and the latter certainly doesn't show up so well by comparison in ride and handling:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/341233/f...-2-0d-premium/
Old 20-06-2015, 05:13 PM   #43
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Applying your convoluted logic:
  • The jeep is 40 years old
  • Toyota is 15 years old
  • Mazda 10 years old
  • Nissan 30 years old
You missed the point entirely. Your argument re sales is inaccurate. Of course Territory isn't selling 2000 units a month anymore, it's gone from having the segment nearly all to itself to having to compete against, and I'm only guessing, 20+ other models most of which are all new, and in the case of the Kluger, all new twice over.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2015, 06:01 PM   #44
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Make that under $70,000 - the X3 has a slight (but only slight!) edge in ride and handling.

There was also a huge market that it unlocked at the time, as evidenced by its burst of initial sales. Already for at least a decade there was increasing demand for family SUVs that weren't a 4WD offroader. Everybody wanting such a vehicle was forced from lack of choice to drive around in what were basically offroad trucks that handled like a dog on road, with poor primary safety to match (with the partial exception of Range Rover).

What they needed was a crossover, a high step-in road car without a transfer box and the only one on the market at the time, the BMW X5, was unaffordable to most. AWD was not necessarily needed either. Territory provided all this at a popular price level - an X5 for half the price. Even today, nothing short of a BMW matches its on road driving qualities and interior space and practicality.

It's certainly a win but it then attracted a host of faux imitators and the neglect and final axe of Mr One Ford.
Not forgetting they developed the Terri using the X5 as its benchmark for engineering in, let's say 'certain' areas as I'm not sure 100% how many areas they actually achieved or were even gunning for. Impressive non the less.

I'd have to put the Holden Adventra as one of the biggest fails in Aussie motoring. As the mists recalled and problematic Aussie car in history....that surely gets it on that list!
But let's just put the whole Aussie motoring industry on the fail list....as sadly it was not supported at its most important lol....govco funding. (Same for all other countries with car manufacturing...it's a must and a smart more) were just not smart
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2015, 06:36 PM   #45
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:

Quite a brain racking read that one. All over the place couldn't they just list things in order instead of chopping and changing all the time.

But the Ford Territory Tying for first with the Kluger and the Jeep show how truely good the car was....and indeed still is.
Oh and that Holden Captiva really is a peice of junk.
How can there be soo many sheep in Aus just buying it cuts its a Holden....then suffering with that horrendous economy, underpowered engine, crap gearbox, poor visibility, poor looking(IMHO ) and that feral cheap interior.
The mind boggles....
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post