Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-03-2016, 09:00 PM   #31
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2010 Xtrail vs Rav4 vs Forester vs Outlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmuscle1965 View Post
Whats wrong with a Suzuki Vitara? Daughter has a 2010 model and its an awesome little car with the engine going the right way(easy to work on) and is RWD by default.. Bonus is it has a proper Hi/Low range gearbox too.
My brother had a 2009 V6 Grand Vitara and to this day it was his favourite car he has ever owned - currently has an Audi A5. Very good off road too aparently. It's funny to think how a car that looks pretty small had a 3.2 V6 in it.

Pretty good value 4 cylinder demo - auto, dual range trans, (know it's out of price range - just curious)https://www.carsales.com.au/demo/det...AG-AD-12390600

One of these

Last edited by Brazen; 28-03-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2016, 09:21 PM   #32
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Yeh, i have considered the Vitara but it is just that little bit smaller than the others. I have also done research on the donks and the 4cyl wasn't reliable so that put me off them. I will have a look as what V6's are around. They are certainly the pick of the bunch for the interior.

EDIT: just had a look on carsales, only one in Victoria that fits the criteria, added to the list

Last edited by fordomatic; 28-03-2016 at 09:31 PM.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2016, 09:27 PM   #33
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Mate across the road bought an 08 Forester XT Turbo early last year, couldnt find one in SA and ended up flying to QLD for a nice low K example (80ish from memory).
He paid $22k for it plus flights and fuel home, $24k all up with inspection and rego transferred.
He was telling me all about it so i did a bit of googling and found that they are prone to engine failure.
Next time i saw him i mentioned it, he said it was rectified by 08.
A week later it **** itself and cost him $6995 for an engine rebuild.
He owes $32k on a car he could possibly get $15k for.

OT but when he told me he was looking for a new car i pointed him to the yard we had just bought my wifes Sportivo Camry from as they had another one in stock.
When the towie dropped him home after his fantastic subie lunched itself the towie pointed to the Wifes Sportivo in the driveway and said, should have bought one of them, bullet proof.
I couldnt help but **** myself laughing when he was telling me the story, poor bastard.

Neglect oil changes in a turbo and its goodnight and they get thrashed to boot.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2016, 09:32 PM   #34
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Yeh, i have considered the Vitara but it is just that little bit smaller than the others. I have also done research on the donks and the 4cyl wasn't reliable so that put me off them. I will have a look as what V6's are around. They are certainly the pick of the bunch for the interior
Be interested if the 4 cylinders ones you heard of are diesel - as I think they have had issues, but I imagine Suzuki 4 cylinder petrols would be pretty much bulletproof.

Looks like you are getting a good selection going. I'd also suggest a Hyundai IX35 but they seem to be pretty expensive on the used market
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2016, 09:39 PM   #35
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Be interested if the 4 cylinders ones you heard of are diesel - as I think they have had issues, but I imagine Suzuki 4 cylinder petrols would be pretty much bulletproof.

Looks like you are getting a good selection going. I'd also suggest a Hyundai IX35 but they seem to be pretty expensive on the used market
Yeh i have a list of 19 vehicles within 20 minutes drive so i can pretty much guarantee one of those will be worth getting.

Yeh i have done extensive research on each vehicle on the list. The Vitara 2.4's are known for cracking the block in the year models from 07-10, so that only leaves the 6 cylinder to look at.
Old 28-03-2016, 11:27 PM   #36
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I dont know much about them personally, but what about the Kia Sorento, can get them in Diesel or v6 and under 10yr old with sub 150k for your coin.

Just thought i'd mention them as i looked over one before i bought my wagon last year.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2016, 10:27 AM   #37
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I would pick the Xtrail.
the most practical design for storage and internal space.
6 speed trans with All mode 4x4i varies between FWD or lock 4WD

the most 'manly' in appearance

read these reviews, compares the Toyota & Mitsi,

http://australiancar.reviews/reviews...-Trail&gen=722
sorry no Forester in there but am I correct it still has a 4 speed auto?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2016, 11:19 AM   #38
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Personally I would pick the Xtrail.
the most practical design for storage and internal space.
6 speed trans with All mode 4x4i varies between FWD or lock 4WD

the most 'manly' in appearance

read these reviews, compares the Toyota & Mitsi,

http://australiancar.reviews/reviews...-Trail&gen=722
sorry no Forester in there but am I correct it still has a 4 speed auto?
Xtrail has a CVT
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2016, 03:13 PM   #39
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Xtrail has a CVT
It does now, but I think it was 2010 where they changed from the 6 speed.

I would avoid the early CVT's apparently they were problematic on the x-trails. and created a bad reputation.

apparently they are all sorted now..
Old 29-03-2016, 03:19 PM   #40
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry I had that they other way around.
in 2010 the changed to 6 defined gears, however that works?
http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-revi...007-2010-13608
Old 29-03-2016, 04:26 PM   #41
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you thought about a 2008-2011 Ford Escape. 4x4 when slippery as well as a "lock" button, same as the X trail. Mazda stopped the tributes earlier but Ford went a few years later and with a 2.3 litre 4cyl VVT engine instead of the thirsty V6 the earlier ones were. They get good write-ups and you'll get one with about 50k on it for about 10-12k.
5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2016, 06:19 PM   #42
CountP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.8 View Post
Have you thought about a 2008-2011 Ford Escape. 4x4 when slippery as well as a "lock" button, same as the X trail. Mazda stopped the tributes earlier but Ford went a few years later and with a 2.3 litre 4cyl VVT engine instead of the thirsty V6 the earlier ones were. They get good write-ups and you'll get one with about 50k on it for about 10-12k.
According to Carsales, urban fuel consumption for the 2.3 4 cyl Escape is 13lt/100km, that's more than my BA Falcon in town.
CountP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-03-2016, 09:33 PM   #43
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountP View Post
According to Carsales, urban fuel consumption for the 2.3 4 cyl Escape is 13lt/100km, that's more than my BA Falcon in town.
I guess thats one of the cons having the extra axle driving, more mass , more friction , more fuel used.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2016, 09:38 PM   #44
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Outlander for me, only because I think Mitsubishi is the best manufacturer of those you listed.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2016, 12:11 AM   #45
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Forester, X-Trail, Rav4, Outlander....
All pretty good options I reckon.

Not sure if the N/A series 3 Forester ('08, '09 etc) is still on the table or not, but we have two series 2 Foresters ('02 and '03, manual & auto) with tallish kms on both of them (230K) and they are both pretty rock solid and well maintained. The s3 cars share a lot of the basics with the s2 cars, albeit with some development and refinement etc. A few points to offer....
- The series 3 Foresters still run a conventional 4sp auto, not the CVT which was introduced in the series 4.
- Although only a 4sp and a little thirsty, these autos are quite robust when well maintained in my experience. Also darn good off-road.
- The EJ25 motor is pretty strong and reliable, when a good service history is present
- Service costs are not really relevant for a car out of factory warranty or not part of a fixed (high) price dealership service regimen... I do the oil changes on our Foresters and they cost me about $40 a pop. The mechanic gets a look-in on the cars every second or third oil change, or if there is an issue.
- We managed to get the last timing belt, tensioner kit and water pump service done for around the $750 mark.... that's the main expense for these cars each 100Kkm
- Subaru brand parts can be expensive, but a "shop around" often provides many options from other equivalent OEM quality brands
- Look after a N/A Subie well and they go great

Trust that these notes offer some assistance. All the best with the choice.....
I reckon if you find a good example of any of the 4, you'll be AOK.

Last edited by EB#; 30-03-2016 at 12:29 AM.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2016, 03:48 AM   #46
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB# View Post
Forester, X-Trail, Rav4, Outlander....
All pretty good options I reckon.

Not sure if the N/A series 3 Forester ('08, '09 etc) is still on the table or not, but we have two series 2 Foresters ('02 and '03, manual & auto) with tallish kms on both of them (230K) and they are both pretty rock solid and well maintained. The s3 cars share a lot of the basics with the s2 cars, albeit with some development and refinement etc. A few points to offer....
- The series 3 Foresters still run a conventional 4sp auto, not the CVT which was introduced in the series 4.
- Although only a 4sp and a little thirsty, these autos are quite robust when well maintained in my experience. Also darn good off-road.
- The EJ25 motor is pretty strong and reliable, when a good service history is present
- Service costs are not really relevant for a car out of factory warranty or not part of a fixed (high) price dealership service regimen... I do the oil changes on our Foresters and they cost me about $40 a pop. The mechanic gets a look-in on the cars every second or third oil change, or if there is an issue.
- We managed to get the last timing belt, tensioner kit and water pump service done for around the $750 mark.... that's the main expense for these cars each 100Kkm
- Subaru brand parts can be expensive, but a "shop around" often provides many options from other equivalent OEM quality brands
- Look after a N/A Subie well and they go great

Trust that these notes offer some assistance. All the best with the choice.....
I reckon if you find a good example of any of the 4, you'll be AOK.
$750 is a very good price
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2016, 06:45 PM   #47
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Thought i would update,

We ended up settling on a 2009 Oulander ZH XLS with 130,000km. It had a few more kms than i wanted but it presented spotless and has full service history from new. Super happy with the price we paid.

The MRS drove a few and she ended up liking the Outlander the best, she liked the Xtrail also but didn't like the Subaru. Already has roofracks and brand new tyres so i will probably just do the suspension and that's it.

Thanks for everyones input, i appreciate it. Don't know how the MRS will go going from the FGXR6T with 300rwkw into the Outlander, i'm tipping she will miss the power haha. But now i get the falcon as my daily, good times.
6 users like this post: