Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-08-2009, 09:36 AM   #31
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

I live and love Melbourne and I suppose it is what you are used too, Trams, Hook turns, plenty of coffee shops etc. Ive been to Adelaide plenty of times and must say it is a fabulous city, but I could not live there, it's too quiet for me but again it's what you are used to. My parents migrated to Australia about 55 years ago and I have constantly asked my dad why he didn't get off boat in W.A, Perth would be my pick if I could just pack up and move anywhere. Melbourne weather is killing me this time of year.
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #32
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

I was born and bred is Vic, Geelong. Lived there for over 20 years before miving to SA and have been here nearly 5 years. I spent a lot of time in Melbourne, driving through the city/suburbs etc. I am amazed at anyone who finds hook turns difficult. If you actually think about it, they are very logical.

As for trams, they are great! We have one tram in adelaide too, and I'd be buggered if I knew anyone that thought they weren't a great way to get from the City to Glenelg, they just need to be bigger! I'm sure if Adelaide had a few more trams people would actually use them and appreciate them more. Hey, I guess we have the O-bahn though! LOL!!!

Over all, Adelaide is a nice city, not too big and very well laid out. Colonel Light should be commended. Adelaide is just too quiet though, and in a lot of ways is backward thinking. All of the minority groups that band together and hamper development are a real blight on this city. And lets not get started on media Mike and our lack of a Drag Racing facility!

As for Melbourne, I don't find people from Melbourne rude or arrogant or anything like that. If I say I am from Adelaide or Geelong I'll get the "bad tasting water" or "sleepy hollow" jokes, but really that's it! I cop more flak over in SA for being a Victorian than anyone I know in Vic who moved from SA. It's almost like residents here have an inferiority complex and must constantly remind people from other states that they are convicts and talk like bogans as opposed to talking like toffey little punces!

Anyway, it's all good. And the most important thing to remember is that no matter where you are living in Australia, you are living in the best country on earth! Down under rocks!
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 11:49 AM   #33
Paddyboy

HAHAHA this is funny as. Someone from Adelaide having a go at Melbourne.
Kidding
I have lived in Melbourne for the majority of my life, I have lived in Adelaide for 2 years and Sydney for 2 years. I can say with quite a confidence that Adelaide cant be compared to Melbourne and Sydney as its a totally different city. Adelaide as someone mentioned is more like a big country town and so yes it has a more relaxed feel and people are nice. But as far as structure and roadways and public transport you can compare.
Melbourne is quite a busy city now and the busier people get, the ruder they become. I agree with you there. Our trams are great though and the old ones (city circle) are kept on the road for a tourism and cultural perspective. Not because we cant afford new ones. Hook turns are awesome! haha, adds a bit of entertainment and adrenaline to your drive through the city.

I think what you should do (starter of this thread) is drive to Sydney and drive around there for a bit. You'll love Melbournes roads after that.

I think the thing here is we all have different tastes and have different opinions on what is the perfect city/town to live in. If you grew up in a quiter,less busy place then going to a major city is going to most likely clash with those ideals.
My mate grew up in Tassie and when he moved here he said the same things, he thought our traffic in the suburbs was insane. So everyones different, thats why im staying away from all the adelaide jokes because Adelaide for you might be perfect and what you love.
Next time you bring your XR8 to Melbourne maybe go a bit extra and drive it down the great ocean rd, bloody awesome!
Old 18-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #34
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrox90

the best ways I can discribe it is Syndey is like a nice relaid road smooth and a complete plan. Melbourne is the same road year son but new power lines and drainage and lord knows what else are now under the road and the road is now just a sea of patch up jobs and temporay fixes.
I think you must have had the beer goggles on when you were in Sydney.

Having been to melbourne dozens of times (I did live there for a couple of years) I can say without a doubt that the road planning down there is chalk and cheese compared to ours,
Theirs is more of a grid system, where ours could be compared to a web made by a spider with A.D.H.D...
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #35
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Always a good read this type of thread - cities all have there good and bad points, as for me, I'm not leaving the sunny climes of Perth any time soon, maybe that's the reason why we have half the Neighbours & Summer Bay cast being sent here LOL.

As for comfort, I drive AUII XR8 with leather seating - the most comfortable bucket seat that includes lumbar support I have driven so far - exceptionally comfortable for long road trips - the main reason why I have not updated.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #36
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmund
Come up to QLD. Caravan capital of the planet. A 6 hour commute from Brisbane to Rockhampton is more like a 9-10 hour battle royale because of these mongrels. In all the years I've been driving these roads I've never once witnessed one pulled up by the coppers with party lights. But hey, going 40 k's under the limit is nowhere near as bad as going 10 k's over.
I feel your pain mate. I reckon caravans should be made to keep left unless overtaking.

Oh wait, that is the rule, and they don't :evil3:
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 02:16 PM   #37
barbarian
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaan
I think the best roads are in Europe. And the only roads that you can make a 90 degree turn with 200 km/h is in Germany.
Agreed. EU road standards are actually higher than Aus because EU has special funds allocated to each and every state to improve its roads
barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #38
Ibrox90
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddyboy
HAHAHA this is funny as. Someone from Adelaide having a go at Melbourne.
Kidding
I have lived in Melbourne for the majority of my life, I have lived in Adelaide for 2 years and Sydney for 2 years. I can say with quite a confidence that Adelaide cant be compared to Melbourne and Sydney as its a totally different city. Adelaide as someone mentioned is more like a big country town and so yes it has a more relaxed feel and people are nice. But as far as structure and roadways and public transport you can compare.
Melbourne is quite a busy city now and the busier people get, the ruder they become. I agree with you there. Our trams are great though and the old ones (city circle) are kept on the road for a tourism and cultural perspective. Not because we cant afford new ones. Hook turns are awesome! haha, adds a bit of entertainment and adrenaline to your drive through the city.

I think what you should do (starter of this thread) is drive to Sydney and drive around there for a bit. You'll love Melbournes roads after that.

I think the thing here is we all have different tastes and have different opinions on what is the perfect city/town to live in. If you grew up in a quiter,less busy place then going to a major city is going to most likely clash with those ideals.
My mate grew up in Tassie and when he moved here he said the same things, he thought our traffic in the suburbs was insane. So everyones different, thats why im staying away from all the adelaide jokes because Adelaide for you might be perfect and what you love.
Next time you bring your XR8 to Melbourne maybe go a bit extra and drive it down the great ocean rd, bloody awesome!
i grew up in glasgow and london then moved to Sydney then back to Glasgow then to Adelaide

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #39
Ibrox90
Banned

Quote:
i grew up in glasgow and london then moved to Sydney then back to Glasgow then to Adelaide
Having said that though i havent been in Sydney in a couple of years and aparently its all changed.

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #40
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the roads in sydney are shocking.. Although this time of the year its not too bad because the coucils like to spend up at the end of the financial year but 6mths later they're stuffed again...
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #41
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Sydeny roads are shyte, but even when they are patched up and relatively smooth, they all seem to have expansion joints in them. Driving around the Brighton Le sands area all you hear is ka-thunk ka-thunk every 10 second as you drive over the expansion joints.
Old 18-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #42
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sydney weather compared to melbourne???? hmmm sydney has twice the rain we get.....i would debate the claim that sydney has better weather than melbourne, although it has been a long cold winter this year.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 08:17 PM   #43
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Melbourne-4 seasons in a day.
Definetly rang true when I was there
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #44
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJXR6
Melbourne-4 seasons in a day.
Definetly rang true when I was there

lol beautiful one minute, pi$$ing down the next.
Old 18-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #45
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Having said that though i havent been in Sydney in a couple of years and aparently its all changed.
Has never changed ... only got worse. Does anyone use the Kings Cross tunnel yet?

Melbourne you can see the city from 20km's and drive towards it.
Sydney you can see the city from 5km's but there is no hope in hell you will ever reach it!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 08:36 PM   #46
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Has never changed ... only got worse. Does anyone use the Kings Cross tunnel yet?

Melbourne you can see the city from 20km's and drive towards it.
Sydney you can see the city from 5km's but there is no hope in hell you will ever reach it!
that is so true... im not sure where the roads in sydney lead to but its never where you want to go... get off the M1 by accident and its near on impossible to find your way back on without spending 2 hrs lapping the cbd's maze of 1 way streets looking for a way out.. only to head 90 degrees away from where you wanted to go.. try using a gps in the cbd and it will melt into a smoldering mess...

Old 18-08-2009, 08:36 PM   #47
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Theirs is more of a grid system, where ours could be compared to a web made by a blind spider on drugs
I had to fix it for you. I think Sydney has more GPS sales than China with its population of one billion people.
Old 18-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #48
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

at least in Adelaide our cbd isn't as physically "big" as Sydney or Melbourne. You can escape to the burbs nice and quick where it's quiet, Melbourne seems never to stop.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 18-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #49
THE4RD
Landau - personal luxury

Quote:

Trams are old and ridiculous and some of them are from 1920's the UK ditiched trams decades ago ive seen trams in museums younger than those in melbourne.

You all refuse to do the speed limit
while i understand that traffic conditons sometimes dictate slower speeds, when theres a dry road few cars and South Australians going by you at the speed limit (100kmh) probably time to take the hint.
The only old trams are the FREE city circle trams for the tourists.

You learn to do keep to the speed limit with the number of fixed and mobile speed cameras here in Victoria.

Last edited by THE4RD; 18-08-2009 at 09:26 PM.
THE4RD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 09:15 PM   #50
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE4RD
The only old trams are the FREE city circle trams for the tourists.

You learn to do keep to the speed limit with the number of fixd and mobile spped cameras here in Victoria.

There are the W-class ones. That was announced to be retired.
Old 18-08-2009, 09:44 PM   #51
ToxikXR6
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
I was born and bred is Vic, Geelong. Lived there for over 20 years before miving to SA and have been here nearly 5 years.

I cop more flak over in SA for being a Victorian than anyone I know in Vic who moved from SA.
what made you move to SA?

i get a bit from supporting a Victorian footy club.. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddyboy
maybe go a bit extra and drive it down the great ocean rd, bloody awesome!
done 3 times in 2years..
took 13hours from where i live to Geelong, loonnggg trip.
ToxikXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 10:43 PM   #52
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxikXR6

done 3 times in 2years..
I'm not surprised you get a bit hehe. Who do you support?
Game. Reinvented.

Old 19-08-2009, 10:57 AM   #53
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxikXR6

done 3 times in 2years..
Moved over to be with my soon to be wife!

I get a bit just being Victorian, but of course I barrack for a Victorian footy club too! Let's just say I had fun with Port supporters after the 07 Grand final...
Old 19-08-2009, 03:45 PM   #54
Kowalski
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd say I agreen with the OP very much re victoria/melb. As XM coupe also noted, I've lived outside Australia for quite a few years myself and since I've returned (2000) I think the place has definately suffered in these areas. Was worried it was just me.
As for the sore back, replace the gay ergo seats with an old-fashioned bench seat. Wife & I went on holiday with the XP wagon last year & she actually commented on how good she felt after 7hrs on the road. And she was always banging on about how the old cars are impracticle!!
Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #55
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK guys my take on Melbourne as with all cities is the lack - just the lack

lack of space
lack of courtesy
lack of relaxation

I can go on but you get the point

Do we really need to have something everywhere with something ontop of it and something under it with a maze of escalators and corridors leading to all these things that was designed by someone who clearly has tourettes or should go back to building hedge mazes? The road layout of the CBD in my opinion is very good in Melbourne when compared to other cities I have visited. The design of the buildings is absolutely terrible tho.

OK now lets give Sydney some stick - why is it that I hit a pothole big enough to hide a road train in at highway speed smashing the bead on my tickford rim - thanks very much for that Sydney I needed to replace the rim (not) and the roads in NSW in general are terrible, are they just letting them degrade to a point they are like rumble strips to reduce the speed they can be travelled at?

now england

what the #$%##^$^&%^&$$% do you call that, thats just not funny.

And people complain about hook turns???

If I had that close enough to me that I may have to use it once in my lifetime I would move to another country.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #56
Teflon Turbo
Banned

5 roundabouts within 1 big roundabout, they deserve to lose the ashes just on that!
Teflon Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #57
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
P.s Truckies are ridiculous they the road goes to 2 lanes then 1 then 2 and so on the whole way up the freeway and on the 2 lane stretches they get level with your rear wheels and then dont yeild nearly taking you out (until you open up the V8 ofcourse

P.s.s Im only commenting on what I saw dont mean to tar you all with the same brush.
Most trucks are speed limited to 100/103 kph, most truck drivers will try and do the speed limited 100 when conditions are favourable and safe to do so.
The truck driver will mostly hold his foot flat to the floor and it will sit on the speed limiter.

A majority of motorists WILL NOT or CANNOT sit on the posted speed limit, they will fluctuate between 90/105.

In the case you mentioned I bet the car in the left hand lane was going slower than 100, and the truck was coming up on the car to overtake, said car driver then increased speed, truck COULD NOT go any faster because he was on the limiter.................then you have a case of big bad truck blocking right lane.

Been driving trucks for over 20 years now, see it day in day out.
Old 21-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #58
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have come across them people who try to walk straight through you at the gold coast. i think they are on some type of drug. :

cams290. some people have no idea and could not drive a truck let alone a car.

The roads in QLD are made out of inferior stuff now. what i have heard is they have changed from the main company shell or whatever to an other company. and they make a thinner type of glop that falls apart. and i have heard it been said, that Aussie crewed oil is no good for bitumen. i don't know why.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 12:04 AM   #59
ToxikXR6
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Moved over to be with my soon to be wife!

I get a bit just being Victorian, but of course I barrack for a Victorian footy club too! Let's just say I had fun with Port supporters after the 07 Grand final...
haha, its much better when Warren Tredrea is your neighbour!!!
yes.. dont worry, even to this day i give him reminders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76txcoupe
I'm not surprised you get a bit hehe. Who do you support?
GEELONG!
ToxikXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 01:36 AM   #60
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id say that what the OP has described in reference to rude society in Melbourne, is not confined to Victoria by any stretch of the imagination.

I have travelled widely over this wide brown land and as a 23yo I have been abused, sworn at and labelled as arrogant for doing chivalrous things such as holding a door open for a mother and pram, or stepping out of the way for a wheelchair, and assisting some poor kid who went 'wheels up' riding his pushbike past my house.

I have to say its hard to maintain principles that dictate who I am as part of society when its all too clear that most of gen x and y couldnt care less.

It was apsolutely no more apparent when I was bumped off my motorbike in sydney at an intersection by a young bloke in a hilux, I lost my footings, the bike fell straight over on top of my right leg, and I was stuck under it. Not only didnt anyone even get out of their cars to assist, neither did the two cop cars that went past in the slow moving traffic. When I struggled out from underneath the bike, the hilux sped past me, swerved around the bike and hurled some gobby remark at me. If he had a licence plate I would have reported it to the police.

I have also found the exact opposite in some places I have been to. Mostly smaller coastal towns along the east coast, where people do still say good morning when they walk past, they do still move around each other rather into one another. its a refreshing change to actually converse with a shopkeeper when buying the sunday paper rather than be told dont give them a small note as its too much effort to make change.

I love Australia, but as a young member of society, I can only hope that by some miracle social standard raise markedly.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post