Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #31
VICFPV

Default Re: FG Fairlane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32 View Post
Tony Robbins? Is that you?
Nah mate.
VICFPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #32
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Good luck. If you ever get the door trims and dash to fit properly, I would like to learn how. I would really like to see how you go about putting that FG front k-frame/suspension under the B-series body. The only way I could see it working would be grafting the wider FG chassis rails underneath the BA body, or perhaps drilling new mounting points or fabricating a few brackets. Would surely be an engineer-certificate type job. I am hoping to try the FG -> B series swap again some day...
Yeah, it will be a lot of work but my fabricator guy reckons it whilst difficult is do-able; I'm not sure yet how he's planning on doing it.

My auto electric guy is however simply a genius. In the late 90's when he worked at ford he was responsible for over 20 TSB's on the EF and EL falcon model, all electric related. He also diagnosed an intermittent fault on the BA amplifier in the high end cars which would drain a new battery in less than 24 hours after 4 dealerships and 2 independent auto electrical shops all said it was the alternator. Pretty smart guy who loves his trade and loves more than anything to solve problems.

Some more parts are on order now, a local wrecker has 2 brand new G6E's with less than 17klms on the clock that were written off due to smoke damage. The cars smell like new cars so???????
I've told him what parts I'm going to need but I may look to see if anything like this comes up at a salvage auction again as I'd rather save the money for fitting more bling and gadgets to the car.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #33
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to bump an old thread, but wondering if this has gone any further?
Old 17-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #34
nothin suss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting for sure....

I hope he hasn't aborted the project. I was keen to see how FG rear lights were going to look with the BF c-pillar.
Old 17-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #35
Mr G8
Maximum Derek

I'm super keen on this, so I'm with all of you in hoping that it's still going! Long live the Fairlane! Woot!

2008 FG XT 6 Speed
18's, Tint, ZF Conversion, LED Conversion, Exhaust.
Mr G8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #36
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm wondering if it would look best with an LTD style waterfall grille, or at least a different style to SWB like BA/F was.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #37
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Would loved to have seen the end result. Would be a big challenge to get it to look right. Maybe post 2016, us lone enthusiasts will have the freedom to manufacture our own could-have-been Falcons in this manner, maybe even start a business doing this.
My Wishlist:

- EA with Barra 6/ZF 6 Speed, EF/EL front and BA interior (aborted project on FordMods)
- EL with BA turbo running gear, but original EL trim (JETXR)
- BA with FG running gear and interior (my aborted project)
- BF AWD Wagon (already done: FAWD)
- LWB FG Sedan (this thread)
- FG Station Wagon
- AWD FG F6 with Nissan R35 Driveline and Engine
- Seriously Lifted Coyote Powered 4x4 Territory bush basher (not quite a falcon, but related)

I can always dream.

Last edited by malazn mafia; 17-06-2013 at 09:20 PM.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2013, 11:59 PM   #38
LTDmonger

Update us matey...
As hard as the latest Falcon news is....
I'm still spewin after they canned the Fairlane & LTD in 07!
LTDmonger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2013, 12:27 AM   #39
Mr G8
Maximum Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDmonger View Post
Update us matey...
As hard as the latest Falcon news is....
I'm still spewin after they canned the Fairlane & LTD in 07!
You & me both!!!

2008 FG XT 6 Speed
Old 18-06-2013, 04:08 AM   #40
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don’t want to be another naysayer, I think the idea of a FG/FH Fairlane is awesome. I was noticing some sportswagons today, and wondering how hard it would be to build an FG wagon…
However I don’t see that what you’re proposing will work. The bits just don’t fit, and the more you change, the more that needs to be changed.
You say you love the car, but you’re proposing to strip it and rebuild it from the ground up?
If you seriously want to start changing the BF, I suggest just doing the minimum to graft the FG lights, update the I6, and spruce up the interior. Once you start with the hanging panels, there is a LOT of expensive work to achieve what will still look like some crossbreed.
My suggestion, START with an FG. Stretch it, either extend the rear doors or add metal and glass into the C pillar, look to upgrade the interior to G6E spec with your own special touch, and invent your own “Fairlane” treatments for the front & rear. (Extra chrome, lights, etc, etc.)
Old 18-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #41
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I made this Photoshop last year but don't think it looks different enough to a Falcon/G6 to set hearts ablaze. It has a slightly different front end with a more prominent chrome grille, stretched rear doors/chassis, longer boot, unique full-face wheels, chrome Fairlane badge, chrome window trim, longer rear roof line.

I found that the Falcon's rear passenger window size was exceptionally wide and I was able to leave it unchanged it.

Anyone else had a go at one?

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #42
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin View Post
Anyone else had a go at one?
Ha. Yes. Can't even remember when I made this.

Old 18-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #43
EFFalcon
Last warning

I'd be keen to know what a BA Fairlane style rear end would look like applied to an FG.
number plate in a more appropriately styred rear bumper, shaved bootlid
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #44
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Nice one, block58. I forgot about the opera windows, and the larger headlights like the NU series are a nice touch. Hmm, I might tinker a little further with mine some day.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #45
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon View Post
I'd be keen to know what a BA Fairlane style rear end would look like applied to an FG.
number plate in a more appropriately styred rear bumper, shaved bootlid

If ford pulled out the matte black spraycan and bog in 2014 for the falcon update, and it looked just like this, I'd be more than happy to buy one.

Last edited by malazn mafia; 18-06-2013 at 06:27 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #46
Mr G8
Maximum Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Noooice lol

2008 FG XT 6 Speed
Old 18-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #47
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr G8 View Post
Noooice lol
From the days of producing cars with smoked taillights from the factory, until now, Ford and Holden have both forgotten how to make a car look mean or 'gangster' . VQ statesmans, VL Calais, FE LTD had that presence from factory. Every equivalent model from each since then has looked either lame or over-conservative.
Old 18-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #48
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Hi guys.

Sorry for no updates, I've started command training and have been exceptionally busy with that. Also, to expedite the training I'm doing lots of little sectors and most days now I'm having really early starts (up at 4am - hate that) and my mate Paul (sheet metal guy - worked for qf for years) has different hours to me so meeting up atm is a little difficult.

As for the Fairlane, I have in fact gathered more parts for it by buying a written off FG2 G6E-T for around 18K and now have the following:

2 x G6E-T motor, one with only 27K on it all looms and harnesses as well as ECU,
ZF transmission from same car (car was written off after being rear ended)
Front guards and bonnet
Front passenger door - requires modification to fit
Front drivers door - at my mate Pauls for modification to length given size of opening
Dash board from written off FG2 G6E including ICC,
Lots of bits and pieces such as control arms, sway bars etc from FG.
Various interior trim pieces
Curtain airbag and BCM from the written off G6.

So far, my mate Paul has the fairlane in his garage and he's not so much been stripping it but has started mocking up certain parts to see what needs to be done to make them fit. On the rear quarter, he's managed to push the crease into a very similar shape as per the fg hem-line, and he's welded a little tab on the corner of it in anticipation of the door. Whilst I have two FG doors he's convinced he can get a BF door to match the hem of the front guards, as well as have the crease in the lower door, although I think the door-line looks a little too low compared to the FG. One of the front guards has been test fitted and will in fact fit with a little modification (although he hasn't tried the bonnet yet).
I was supposed to be spending quite a bit of time on it yet that time has yet to materialise. Of course, one of the benefits of what has kept me away from the project means I'll have more funds to keep it going, so I guess it's a worthwhile distraction.

Tallying up what the car might cost to get to factory condition is quite frightening, but this car is supposed to be a concourse model which has opened Pandora's box of problems to achieve such like; do we just paint it or do we get it sandblasted in and out and painted? Do we put a new fairlane carpet inside or do we get a customised carpet (higher quality)? Will the FG seats fit on to the fairlane ones which are both driver and passenger electric? Do we reuse a re-covered fairlane back seat back which has the separate head rests or do we just use the donor g6 ones with the integrated head rest?
So many questions, so many possibilities - so much money for it to not look like crap.

That said, this is a much more difficult task than I anticipated (and I anticipated it to be near on impossible) but with so much invested (25K plus a low klm BF fairlane) so far in spares and other parts for it I'm now having a bit of a Jeremy Clarkson moment of "How hard can it be?"
I must say I hope in the next couple of months to have a little more spare time, and shortly thereafter have quite a bit of spare time to devote to it.

When I get a chance I'll get some photos of the great big mess I've created of one really nice car, and one damaged one and post them up.

Quote: