Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-07-2010, 07:00 PM   #31
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Due to popular request (largely by cynics), I'm going to try and explain the principle behind the concept without giving it away. It's quite long and boring but will make sense to anyone patient enough to read all the way through.

Ok, lets start at the beginning. For argument's sake, lets all imagine the barra 6 that we know and love. This engine (and almost all piston engines) run on what is called an Otto cycle (invented by some bloke called Otto). This means that all 4 strokes (intake, compression, power, exhaust) are the same length. This means that at the bottom of the power stroke, there is still some pressure within the cylinder. This is called backpressure.

The other cycle that piston engines can run on is called the Atkinson cycle - invented by a Mr. Atkinson (not Rowan). In this system, the compression stroke is shorter than the power stroke. The idea is that at the bottom of the power stroke the pressure within the cylinder is the same as that of the atmosphere. This is more efficient than the Otto cycle, because there is no power lost out of the exhaust system, however, it produces much less power.

The Toyota Prius uses a similar system to this. Whilst Toyota claim they have built an Atkinson cycle engine, what they have actually done is design the camshaft in such as way as to keep the intake valve open for part of the compression stroke, essentially accomplishing the same thing as a regular Atkinson cycle engine.

My product, the Atkinson Charger, captures the waste energy/pressure in the exhaust system of an Otto cycle engine, and feeds it back into the engine (the energy, not the actual exhaust). This reduces the load on the engine, increasing economy and maximum power. No special tuning is required and aside from a modified exhaust manifold, almost nothing else needs to be changed. The only downside is that because the waste energy in the exhaust is being captured by the Atkinson Charger, a turbocharger becomes redundant.

While the Atkinson Charger will not produce the power gains that a turbocharger will, it is significantly less expensive and less complicated than a turbo install.

I think that explains it quite well, without revealing the design. Please feel free to ask any questions, or point out something I have missed.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.

Last edited by 388cube_edxr8; 02-07-2010 at 07:05 PM.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #32
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
You have me intrigued, I'm familiar with a little bit of it from thermodynamic but no sure on how you're going to apply it. What I have in mind doesn't leave the bottom end stock.
Looks like I might have a little competition already.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:23 PM   #33
1TUFFUTE
Banned

sounds great to be honest. i can point you in the direction of 1million young blokes who are willing to buy gear knobs and knN filters to make there car perform better. Priced right and youll sell a million easy
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2010, 01:13 PM   #34
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
Looks like I might have a little competition already.
I thought you were referring to an Atkinson cycle type deal, but didn't want to give anything away if you wanted to keep it secret. And the addition of the word 'charger' threw me off.

Interesting idea, when I saw atkinson I thought you meant using a different crank which I think is what the prius does?
Im curious as to how you are going to use the exhaust gasses to produce more work in the engine, but I'll leave that one up to you. I have a few ideas but none I can think of that would help power wise.

Mate I look forward to when you have the prototype ready to be unveiled. From what I've heard so far it sounds pretty innovative. Best of luck with it.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #35
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
increasing economy
RIP 388cube_edxr8. 19xx-20xx.

BP is on its way to kill you haha.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #36
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Onya brother... there is always a better way of doing things,I look forward to the release.

AU II XR8 Daily driver.

BF XR8 ute (Red the only true Modification) My Toy.

The boy,

XT Ute 393 cleveland.

Genuine XB GT.
Tucool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #37
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
RIP 388cube_edxr8. 19xx-20xx.

BP is on its way to kill you haha.
Caltex has already tried a number of times. Don't ever buy Caltex pies.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:58 PM   #38
falzoony
Rockin '67

Sounds really good.
Once you have a before and after dyno sheet you will gain more interest.

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #39
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Is it a mechanical turbine deal?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-compound_engine
Old 03-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #40
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bird
Sort of. The "Power Recovery Turbine" that you reference to was able to improve engine power by around 20%. Due to a large number of moving parts, the idea was more or less abandoned after World War II as a result of some serious reliability issues. That plus the aircraft that used them discovered that they could make more power using turboprop engines.

The Atkinson Charger operates on a similar principle to the Power Recovery Turbine (more power from otherwise wasted exhaust energy) but uses far less moving parts, as well as a few that the PRT didn't have. This significantly increases reliability and reduces cost.

I've been doing some quick maths, and theoretically - testing will confirm - the Atkinson Charger should be able to increase power by more than 20%, without using any extra fuel, due to less parasitic loss within the unit. A power increase of over 20% with no extra fuel consumption, all for around $1000 to fit a Falcon 6 sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Anyone else think so?
Old 03-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #41
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

So in essence it is an improved, automotive-fit PRT. I like it, and I like your style.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #42
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Good job 388.
It sounds like a low or zero boost miller cycle set up.
The principle to an Atkinson engine is that the exhaust valve
is held open later to reduce manifold vacuum and subsequently
pumping losses. A miller cycle engine is similar but uses either
a turbo or a blower to eliminate manifold vacuum and deliver
either zero or slight positive boost improving fuel consumption
and power over naturally aspirated engines.

If the forced induction unit is small enough it will follow the
torque curve and increase volumetric efficiency and also
improve brake specific fuel consumption.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #43
The Monty
Just slidin'

30 kw on my car, same fuel consumption for $1000?
Sounds great.
Id be in if you could prove it for sure.
How heavy would it be out of curiosity?
Old 03-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #44
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

How much additional 'heatsoak' would this 'un add to the motor? Heat soak is expensive.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #45
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

sounds good to me... it sounds like an EGR setup to me... but without revealing more details, i cant really say for sure.

id be candidate for my 8, given you can show proof of its workings.
AUIIPURSUIT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2010, 11:23 PM   #46
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
How heavy would it be out of curiosity?
About as heavy as a small turbo. Obviously the weight will change according to the size of the unit, so it depends on the displacement of the engine it is bolted to.

V6 and V8 engines really need two smaller units, only I4 and I6 can get away with one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout
How much additional 'heatsoak' would this 'un add to the motor? Heat soak is expensive.
The Atkinson Charger is oil cooled, so an optional small oil cooler would dissipate any excess heat absorbed from the exhaust gases.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:51 PM   #47
Scaffy
Rlegaur Mbemer

Sounds to be an interesting concept. Will this be just as effective on highly modified engines? e.g. 500+hp NA V8s? An extra 20% - now we're talking!

I'd happily donate a test-mule... well... when I say donate, I mean put it in my car and let me test it...
[YEAH NAH] Red EL XR8 with Trick Flow top end kit, 70mm tb, 73mm maf, 24lb injectors, tweecer, 3.73s & tired T5 = 275rwhp & 13.155@105mph NA. 12.375@116.73 N2O - Off the road, awaiting 347 293ci and Astro Performance gear-kitted T5 (A5)

White EL Series II XR8, manual, high flow cats, single 3" exhaust and Quarterhorse = 236rwhp and 14.18@97.5mph - E7 heads FTW! - SOLD
Scaffy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 12:15 AM   #48
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaffy
Sounds to be an interesting concept. Will this be just as effective on highly modified engines? e.g. 500+hp NA V8s? An extra 20% - now we're talking!

I'd happily donate a test-mule... well... when I say donate, I mean put it in my car and let me test it...
Ha yeah, an extra 20% on a 500hp NA V8 or 1000hp blown V8 would be nice, but I can't with a good conscience sell these things for use with engines that make more power than what I have tested with. The device should be just as effective, but as the power of the engine goes up, so does the strain on the unit.

Eventually, I will provide a couple to someone with a modified engine for cost price, and see how it goes. I might have to beef up the design a little.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:20 AM   #49
ZDI-970
Formerly D3v[]

i like your thinking, hopefully all your testing goes well and you can produce more of these things!
ZDI-970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 01:02 AM   #50
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Yeah, sounds good. When do you think it will be available?
Old 04-07-2010, 01:31 AM   #51
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

The first units available for sale will be for a Falcon 6, and should be available within the next few months. Models for other makes will be available asap, depending on demand and sales volume. As soon as I can afford it, I will be setting up a stall at Qld Raceway, Willowbank and such, so keep an eye out for me.

I would like to have it ready sooner, but cashflow issues coupled with the legal pains in the *** of inventing something new are holding me back.

I would rather develop it out of my own pocket, than have an investor/s cutting into my profits. Unfortunately, my pocket is empty.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:07 AM   #52
StrokedXT
Banned

Awesome a product you claim works but has never been tested, yes i am very interested
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 09:31 PM   #53
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Well, the basic design is sound and was used for years. The PRT was a good idea, just hampered in part the the metallurgy of the time.