Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Who is reconsidering their FGX XR8 order with the new Mustang Pricing released
Yes 20 24.39%
No 62 75.61%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2015, 03:34 PM   #31
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: Who's thinking of changing there XR8 order for the New Mustang now the pricing is out

I know people on the other threads about the Mustang have said that the power difference between the US spec and the Aussie spec is because of how they are measured but I'm not going to believe that till they run the cars.

With 303kw and 525Nm of toque, its significantly down on the XR8. 1680 kg vs 1861 is 180 kgs difference but I think with the supercharger, the XR8 should hold its own (straight line).

I, for one, will be looking forward to some times and comparisons...
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2015, 03:40 PM   #32
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 
Default Re: Who's thinking of changing there XR8 order for the New Mustang now the pricing is out

Not that I'm looking at a late model car at this point, but if I were, the Falcon wouldn't even be considered.
As someone else said, they're pretty boring to look at these days, I haven't really warmed to any Falcon post AU.
Too heavy, too soft, too Mum&Dad like, very sterile.

The 'Stang may be many of these things too, but at least it looks good and has the correct number of doors.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:40 PM   #33
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That doesn't sound like you Kieran...
graphicgoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2015, 04:15 PM   #34
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Quicker round a track, but wont be quicker in a straight line.

I dont think anyone has taken their XR8 to the track yet, but it shouldnt be any slower than the FG GT which was good for low 12s.

2015 Mustang GT is a high 12sec car.
Recorded 0-100 times for the Mustang GT have been slightly quicker than the fastest 0-100 i've seen for anything Miami powered. But in the real world on a strip, a Miami might gain the lead back at the back end of the track cause 1/4 times are slightly faster than Mustang.

But as we all know US published acceleration times need to be taken with a grain of salt and the proof will come once the Mustang starts hitting the strip in Australia.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-03-2015, 04:44 PM   #35
WHYME
Next up?

Quote:
Quicker round a track, but wont be quicker in a straight line.

I dont think anyone has taken their XR8 to the track yet, but it shouldnt be any slower than the FG GT which was good for low 12s.

2015 Mustang GT is a high 12sec car.
Kempy has in his stock FGX XR8, ran a 12.7.

WHYME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #36
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
I know people on the other threads about the Mustang have said that the power difference between the US spec and the Aussie spec is because of how they are measured but I'm not going to believe that till they run the cars.

With 303kw and 525Nm of toque, its significantly down on the XR8. 1680 kg vs 1861 is 180 kgs difference but I think with the supercharger, the XR8 should hold its own (straight line).

I, for one, will be looking forward to some times and comparisons...
Mate I can tell you its a quicker car... Its not all about KW... The driveline in the Mustang is what makes it....

We havent seen a GTF or XR8 do 0 - 100 in 4.5. Yes the NZ Auto car R Spec did but theres no proof of it again, they aren't constantly doing it.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2015, 07:13 PM   #37
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicgoose View Post
That doesn't sound like you Kieran...
Without going too far off topic, I think there is a significant difference between 80 kilos (XR8 vs SSV) and 180 kilos...
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2015, 07:51 PM   #38
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

I want an Australian made Falcon.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2015, 08:21 PM   #39
paulb351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
I want an Australian made Falcon.

Simple answer... Buy one before they stop making 'em! I am keeping my FG series one for that very reason...
paulb351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2015, 03:05 PM   #40
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Took an XR8 for a test drive yesterday, and that super whine jet engine scream and ripping is orgasmic. Great car all round. Gave me wide smiles and people in other cars wide smiles and thumbs up too.

Would not consider a normal mustang instead of an XR8.

However if Ford AU brings that mustang gt350r flat plane crankshaft naturally aspirated work of art for reasonable money, I just may then be tempted .....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2015, 04:21 PM   #41
335JET
@jas_23_

I like how you refer to the xr8's engine note as JET Like. I havnt driven one yet but come july I shall own one.
335JET is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2015, 04:36 PM   #42
Parfrey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While im not in the market for a FGX.. I can't wait to check out a Mustang..
I don't use my GT to tow, tour the country or load 5 people into either.. So a Mustang would still be fine for me. As long as I can cram a baby seat (or maybe 2 in the future) in the back it'll be ok lol.
Mid/high 12s stock and high 11s with a tune/exhaust,intake is pretty impressive NA. A bolt on blower kit from the US won't be much different $$$ to a intercooler + pully kit for the XR8 too.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:26 PM   #43
The Snout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parfrey View Post
While im not in the market for a FGX.. I can't wait to check out a Mustang.. .
Pretty much this.

FGX doesn't get me into the market, but the pics and pricing of the Mustang does.

I'd be interested in ages of members. Are the over 50s partial to FGX and AU built, while the under 50s are more new wave ? No wrong answer, just an observation.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2015, 10:51 PM   #44
burnz
VFII SS UTE

the American drag strip is only 300mtr (1000ft) why they call it a quarter mile I don't know..

oz strip 400mtr (1320ft) so take the quarter times as next to useless when comparing the two..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2015, 11:07 PM   #45
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
the American drag strip is only 300mtr (1000ft) why they call it a quarter mile I don't know..

oz strip 400mtr (1320ft) so take the quarter times as next to useless when comparing the two..
Umm no its not.

NHRA strips for top fuelers run on 1000ft because they were getting too fast.
Otherwise they are 1/4mile (1320ft or 402m)
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2015, 11:15 PM   #46
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Umm no its not.

NHRA strips for top fuelers run on 1000ft because they were getting too fast.
Otherwise they are 1/4mile (1320ft or 402m)
um no
the death scott kalitta changed 90+% the USA drag strips,
very few are 1320 now
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2015, 11:40 PM   #47
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only Top fuelers and Nitro funny cars run on 1000ft strips, do some research.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:40 PM   #48
Freiherr

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snout View Post
Pretty much this.

FGX doesn't get me into the market, but the pics and pricing of the Mustang does.

I'd be interested in ages of members. Are the over 50s partial to FGX and AU built, while the under 50s are more new wave ? No wrong answer, just an observation.
The makes “Mustang” and “Falcon” are both from the early 60s and very dear and loved by all the over 50s. One will keep going while the other will stop in 2016.
I am 55 and will buy the XR8 in June and probably a Mustang in 2020 and have both to enjoy. I'd rather do that than buy a Mustang now and hope a decent XR8 comes on the used market for a fair price.
Freiherr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2015, 02:23 AM   #49
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb351 View Post
Simple answer... Buy one before they stop making 'em! I am keeping my FG series one for that very reason...
That is my plan. Hence why the Mustang does not interest me even if it was half the price.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2015, 07:28 AM   #50
mtbkym01
"Final 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freiherr View Post
The makes “Mustang” and “Falcon” are both from the early 60s and very dear and loved by all the over 50s. One will keep going while the other will stop in 2016.
I am 55 and will buy the XR8 in June and probably a Mustang in 2020 and have both to enjoy. I'd rather do that than buy a Mustang now and hope a decent XR8 comes on the used market for a fair price.
Exactly this, I'm "only" in my early forties, but agree with everything you've said, and yes hopefully 1 day I can enjoy both, and to do that, I'm definitely best off getting my "final aussie V8" now.

PXIII XLT - Meteor Grey
3.2 6spd Auto
mtbkym01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #51
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freiherr View Post

Ditto - my thinking exactly
pwr4ce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2015, 11:13 AM   #52
FPV-800

I am 56 and pick up my new XR8 in July which I can't wait, will keep this one forever,love my Falcons , if only I could talk the missus into buying a v8 mustang and have the best of both worlds!!!
FPV-800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2015, 02:38 PM   #53
335JET
@jas_23_

Im 27 & have decided to go the XR8, could have easily went the mustang but prefer a supercharged V8. Aslo this is my last chance at buying a brand new V8 Falcon, mustang will be here for a while yet.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2015, 07:37 PM   #54
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You guys do realise that this hypothetical Mustang you wish Ford Australia would bring here to sell instead of the base model stodge would cost well over a hundred grand and sell in single figure numbers each year, ensuring the demise of the whole idea?

Same as most high-end factory modded V8's really...far, far more people simply like the idea of a powerful performance model V8 just existing for sale somewhere, than will ever actually go and plonk down the cash to buy one...and that is what kills the model and makes it unprofitable.

Mustangs for sale here need to be primarily as it is in the USA...a two door stylish option for a reasonably priced family car. No use only bringing in exclusive limited number super high performance models that inevitably sell for ludicrously astronomical prices in tiny numbers.

But then there seems to be an awful lot of people who want it to be limited and exclusive, rather than a common plebs car as it is overseas...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2015, 07:37 PM   #55
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

I'm 51 and this will be number 6th Falcon since the first EL that I have owned since '97
Used to bat for the other side (Holden that it is) then I saw the light!
Dunno - something that I really like about them that keeps me coming back.
pwr4ce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2015, 08:25 PM   #56
12slots4ever

Well I turned 55 on Thursday but alas, there is no new car on my horizon although I've had the best in the past! Ho hum!!!
12slots4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2015, 10:27 PM   #57
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz

Dumbest comment ever?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2015, 11:04 PM   #58
335JET
@jas_23_

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
You guys do realise that this hypothetical Mustang you wish Ford Australia would bring here to sell instead of the base model stodge would cost well over a hundred grand and sell in single figure numbers each year, ensuring the demise of the whole idea?

Same as most high-end factory modded V8's really...far, far more people simply like the idea of a powerful performance model V8 just existing for sale somewhere, than will ever actually go and plonk down the cash to buy one...and that is what kills the model and makes it unprofitable.

Mustangs for sale here need to be primarily as it is in the USA...a two door stylish option for a reasonably priced family car. No use only bringing in exclusive limited number super high performance models that inevitably sell for ludicrously astronomical prices in tiny numbers.

But then there seems to be an awful lot of people who want it to be limited and exclusive, rather than a common plebs car as it is overseas...

I assume your referring to the flat plane Shelby GT350?
If that were too come over here, yes id imagine it would cost a little over a hundred grand, but since 2010 Australian Performance V8 Fords have been supercharged, now we get this mustang that isnt, im not saying its a bad engine, i just feel its a bit of a step back in performance, our last n/A V8 was 315 kw.
in a perfect world we could order this mustang with the FPV Boss 335 or imagine being able to order it with the F6 310kw straight 6...i dont think it would be a $100K car then.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:12 PM   #59
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GT350 is expected to retail for USD$53k.
Compared to the pricing of the Ecoboost and GT for here, that would put it around $75k

Old 07-03-2015, 11:27 PM   #60
335JET
@jas_23_

i rekon it would be a bargain at $75k. put my name down now, but thats right, australia misses out on the good ones.