FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Default Re: Multi % Tint

Knock off the insults or thread is going to closed and warnings given
Old 28-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #32
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure how people get on driving cars in the real world with 15 and 20% tint fitted illegally.
When we owned an old Rodeo ute, I bought a roll of tint, accidentally picking up 15% stuff instead of 35%. I fitted it on a bright sunny day under a carport, and thought "Hmm...that's fairly dark", but it was only later I noticed it was only 15%. I left it on.

Two days later, I tore it all off. Driving around at night was hopeless...you couldn't see out safely, and only on a bright sunny day was it reasonable. Not a good idea to have tint that dark unless you never drive your car at night or in the rain. It's kind of a good safety feature to be able to see what's going on outside...

Last edited by 2011G6E; 28-02-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 28-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #33
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Re-posting as somebody may actually be interested in factual information. (sourced from an automotive glass manufacturer)

columns are visible light transfer/solar transfer/UV transfer
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2014, 05:24 PM   #34
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
Re-posting as somebody may actually be interested in factual information. (sourced from an automotive glass manufacturer)

columns are visible light transfer/solar transfer/UV transfer
Thanks for that table!
I can assure you that the rear seats are much cooler places than the front drivers and passenger seats in our Triton dual cab because of the privacy glass on the rear side windows (and rear window, but that doesn't count as there's a canopy right behind it). It really cuts down the heat, which it should being so dark.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:34 AM   #35
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So we all have google. Make up your own mind.....

Privacy Glass - UV Protection
These questions are all too common when working in the tinting business, and lack of information from salesman and lack of information on the internet can really make an impact of your over all decision to get privacy glass.

This documentation is to state the facts of privacy glass, in order to help you make your decision with purchasing window tint and privacy glass for your vehicle.

RTA Window Film Laws

Any passenger vehicle must have 35% VLT or lighter (Visual Light Transmittance) all around the vehicle EXCEPT for the front windscreen. This includes the doors, cargo / quarter windows and rear screens.

The percentile stated with window films reflects the percentage of light that is passing through the film. So the darkest legal limit of 35% is allowing 35% of light to travel through the glass, 20% is allowing 20% of light to pass through and so on, therefore making 20% darker than 35%.

Here is where things can start to get tricky. Privacy glass comes in at around 18-24%, which clearly we have just understood as being an illegal grade. Privacy glass is legal for vehicles that are approved by Japanese and UK standards, which is then imported to Australia, and because this is approved under those standards, it is fit to be legal in Australia. Only aftermarket products applied to the vehicle afterwards, ie window tint, need to comply with the RTA Law in Australia.

In saying this, the rear section of the vehicle is already darker than legal, so then what does that mean for window film? It only leaves you one legal option; this being to tint the front 2 windows only is 35%.

The film on the front is going to be lighter than the coloured glass at the back. And you are only rejecting heat, glare and UV from the front 2 windows. Almost seems pointless…

What is Privacy Glass?

Privacy glass is a coloured glass that can come as standard on the back of a lot of newer vehicles.

Being a coloured glass with no heat or UV properties doesn’t bring any benefit to the vehicle.

The fact it’s slightly harder to see inside the car, means it can also be harder to see out of the vehicle, especially when driving at night, driving in rain, or in underground car parks.

Countries such as Canada and Hong Kong strictly do not accept privacy glass on vehicles; this has to be replaced by clear glass due to safety reasons from a

Window film consists of several layers designed to stop UV rays, heat and glare as much as possible from passing through it.

In simple terms you would start with a laminate which all the layers will be incorporated onto, then you will have either a metal or carbon sputtered or spread onto the laminate (manufactured in large warehouses with million dollar machinery), and you will also have an anti-scratch coating (good films will have this), you will also have your adhesive, and your backing sheet on top of this. These layers are compact and compressed so tightly, resulting in window film.

Metal films are generally copper, titanium or nickel, which is sputtered on the laminate. Metal will naturally reflect the sun, giving it such great heat and glare properties.

When metal films are applied onto windows that have an aerial running through the rear screen or cargo window, it will interfere with Radio (mostly AM signals), sat navigation systems and mobile phones (depending on the carrier and location). This is why most customers will go for a Carbon film.

Carbon films incorporate carbon pigments onto the laminate. Carbon being a black pigment will naturally absorb heat, which also has great heat and glare properties. It does not cause any interference with Radio, Sat Nav and Mobile devices.

Privacy Glass VS Window Tint – Pro’s & Con’
Window films offer protection from UV, Heat and Glare.

Privacy glass offers no UV or heat protection, it may offer some glare rejection.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:03 AM   #36
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury 8 View Post

Privacy glass offers no UV or heat protection, it may offer some glare rejection.
Again this is factually incorrect
Old 01-03-2014, 07:34 AM   #37
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Again this is factually incorrect
That is your opinion,obviously others have a different opinion.Get over it.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:50 AM   #38
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury 8 View Post
That is your opinion,obviously others have a different opinion.Get over it.
No it is fact and I have provided evidence to prove it.

What have you provided to back up your opinion ? A copy & paste from the tinting industry
Old 01-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #39
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

This is fun
2 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #40
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU1XLS View Post
This is fun
Your right but so I don't get into trouble I will agree to disagree

Mercury 8 peace brother
Old 01-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #41
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No it is fact and I have provided evidence to prove it.

What have you provided to back up your opinion ? A copy & paste from the tinting industry
All you have provided is something from the Internet same as I have,and from one source.Knowing people in the glass industry for more than twenty years I'm happy to take there opinion on board. Most automotive glass is sourced from china these days..........That graph you have provided on more than one occasion could be twenty years old for all we know.As I said get over it.

And peace to you brother as well
Old 01-03-2014, 08:25 AM   #42
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Closed
This user likes this post:
Closed Thread