Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-06-2007, 12:28 AM   #31
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
You can't just make an example out of someone, thats not the law, the law set suitable punishments for the Crime and doing time in jail does not suit a traffic offence, especially as their was no accident, he didn't commit manslaughter!

Ok lets set it to 100Km/h over = Instant jail time, would you be stopping if caught doing those speeds and going to jail if that was on the line, because i know most people would rather try and run and end up there (jail) anyway, then just pull over and say "Take me to jail".

Same principle works with the Hoon laws, not to many people are going to stop on their 3rd offence and say 'Sure, take it to auction".
I'd lock myself up if I did 100km/h over in a built up area. That's like having a gun firing it randomly all over the place in a shopping centre and by LUCK you didn't hit anything. By LUCK somebody didnt walk out onto the road or he didn't hit a bump in the road possibly shooting him off through somebodies house or having a head on with another car!!

Any person that thinks about what consequences might happen if he does this wouldn't do it. I certainly couldn't live with the fact that I killed somebody from excessively speeding in a built up area!! Could you??

Also if 100 over did equal Jail time I highly doubt there would be people frequently going 100 over anymore. We should bring in spike strips for the runners. The minor few with half a brain cell that would be left doing 100 over wouldn't care about Jail or other peoples lives so maybe we should force them into having a bingle with a tree via the strips!!
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 12:32 AM   #32
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO_SP
I'd lock myself up if I did 100km/h over in a built up area. That's like having a gun firing it randomly all over the place in a shopping centre and by LUCK you didn't hit anything. By LUCK somebody didnt walk out onto the road or he didn't hit a bump in the road possibly shooting him off through somebodies house or having a head on with another car!!

Any person that thinks about what consequences might happen if he does this wouldn't do it. I certainly couldn't live with the fact that I killed somebody from excessively speeding in a built up area!! Could you??

Also if 100 over did equal Jail time I highly doubt there would be people frequently going 100 over anymore. We should bring in spike strips for the runners. The minor few with half a brain cell that would be left doing 100 over wouldn't care about Jail or other peoples lives so maybe we should force them into having a bingle with a tree via the strips!!
Wonder how the Police officers would like handing out the death penalty via the Spike strips...

And no i couldnt live with it, but i dont do 160km/h in 60km/h zones.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 12:36 AM   #33
Flouro_Joe
Banned

Quote:
Wonder how the Police officers would like handing out the death penalty via the Spike strips...

And no i couldnt live with it, but i dont do 160km/h in 60km/h zones.
The very first time spikes were used in NSW the Police officer himself was killed.
Flouro_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 12:41 AM   #34
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flouro_Joe
The very first time spikes were used in NSW the Police officer himself was killed.
Care to elaborate?? How the hell does that happen?
Old 07-06-2007, 12:43 AM   #35
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Your going to put someone in jail for a speeding fine?

Im sure the Fine, Suspention and selling of his car is getting the point accross, lets not forget what having jail time on your resume (SP?) does for your job chances.
100 kays over the limit is just plain dumb, and yes he didn't kill anyone but he could of, thats the point, far more chance of killing someone if he hits their car at 160 than if he hits them at 60.
Someone pulls out in front of him thinking he's doing the limit but no he's a cruise missile.
I think you're in the minority on this one FPV8U.
One week in jail and he won't do it again gaurenteed. Job prospects later is his problem, not mine, not anyones who he might kill, his problem.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:52 AM   #36
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Quote:
If its the same guy hes talking about, my gfs dad buried him. Im not sure if this guy was the first but, he went to lay the spike strip on the road and the driver tried to swerve and hit the policeman instead which killed him, he had a wife and kid too.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:03 AM   #37
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Phill
If its the same guy hes talking about, my gfs dad buried him. Im not sure if this guy was the first but, he went to lay the spike strip on the road and the driver tried to swerve and hit the policeman instead which killed him, he had a wife and kid too.
That's horrible poor family!
Old 07-06-2007, 01:21 AM   #38
sexr6tasy
Banned

Im gonna have to agree with fpv8u on this one locking somebody up for doing over 100 the speed limit the first time would be excessive especially based on a what if mentality nobody argues this guy is a complete moron and should be punished but jail time is excessive for the crime YES obviously if he hit somebody chuck him in prison because hes now a murderer but not for being a speeding moron driver.
sexr6tasy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 01:30 AM   #39
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This guy got off very lightly when you compare the fine and suspension with those at the RTA (NSW) Web site ( http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregul...voffences.html ) for "Furious driving; Reckless driving; Driving in a manner or at a speed dangerous"
Penalties 1st Offence 2nd or subsequent Offence

Maximum court-imposed fine $2,200 $3,300

Maximum gaol term 9 months 12 months

Disqualification - minimum 12 months 2 years

Disqualification - maximum Unlimited Unlimited

Disqualification - in the absence of a specific court order 3 years 5 years

So, he could have been up for a $2,200 fine, 9 months gaol, 12 month suspension for a 1st offence.

Note that these are the same fines as "Negligent driving where grievous bodily harm is occasioned". They go up if it was negligent driving with someone killed.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 01:32 AM   #40
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Must be a bad week for 19yo p platers. One in Canberra was caught doing 190 in an 80km/h zone on the Monaro highway, last Friday (2am Saturday, I suppose). Bloody idiots!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 01:34 AM   #41
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats just crazy! yeah if the law was a couple of months jail for that it might stop young drivers doing it. I dont know the laws down there but in nz the police call off the pursuit once other people using the roads safety is at risk. But they still end up getting them most of the time.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:13 AM   #42
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Better build some more jails... ??
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 02:21 AM   #43
XRated
Shoot.

I think he got off pretty lightly. Nine months isn't that long considering the speed he was going. Make it 24 months.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 02:53 AM   #44
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Nissian silvia forums shine yet again
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 09:36 AM   #45
Ultimate
Pimp Daddy Pimp Pimp

Location: Queensland Events Assistant Co-Ordinator. Fiery's Little Helper

Quote:
Thats got to be one of the most stupid comments i have read, lets throw a guy who yes had a major driving infringement, although probably on a midnight cruise with nobody else on the road (Not that it matters i know) in with a bunch of murderers and rapists, great idea. :

There only one way to describe this "Bloody Idiot". Should of got 3 years in jail and a fine.

Actually driving that speed is ******* stupid and should of been handed a sentence of jail time. I know of one person first drink driving offence, backing his car out of the drive way onto the grass and got 6months in jail in nsw. At that speed someone pulls infront of him he could of collected them and good chance would of killed himself and yet a unknown number of people. You ever heard about someone speeding and taking multiple lifes doing the right thing?

FPV8u you need to wake up to yourself.

Jeff
---------------------------------------------------
AFF Merchandise

Excellent Purchases With: AFF Team, Rooster, Russ
Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 10:23 AM   #46
AUIIForte

I disagree with everybody here who is saying he should have been put into jail. Just like FPV8U said, he didn't actually KILL or INJURE anybody, so that is what is going to be brought into court. Going through all the **** he had to after the whole incident is ENOUGH for him to not do it again.

All this stupid bullshit talk about "What if this happened, what if that happened, somebody could have cut him off thinking he was driving normal speed, blah blah".. It does not matter. I'd rather put a DRUNK driver in jail then a sober one having a little heavy foot once in a while.

Some people here are incredibly dumb to think that for a speeding fine, which in the process did not hurt or kill anybody or anything, he should be put into jail. And waste our TAX on filling up jails with people that didn't do anything as bad as murder, rape, robbery, fraud, ect!
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #47
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

ok so you want to jail this fellow for one indescretion.. 100 over is a shocker but we all know that even at 15km/h over something could of gone wrong and he would of just as easy killed someone at that speed. What I find odd is, there was a drag race, so presumably 2 or more cars going hammer and tong but the officers only pinged him. More worrying to me is that he had a 50% or better chance of getting away with it.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 10:43 AM   #48
flukey77

Prison is a breeding ground for criminals. This kid sounds like he has a few issues, and the last thing we need is for him to get more by having a stint in jail. Just my opinion though.
flukey77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 11:05 AM   #49
MRJUCY
Fordless

What a muppet first he is driving like a pratt but what sort of tool would even mention they were on a cruise, it's completely irrelevant to what he was doing behind the wheel.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 11:11 AM   #50
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate
I know of one person first drink driving offence, backing his car out of the drive way onto the grass and got 6months in jail in nsw.
i don't believe you.

there's obviously more to that story than what you've told.

as for the young P plater, he's being given a last chance to change his ways. i think people have the right to be given a chance.

Quote:
That's like having a gun firing it randomly all over the place in a shopping centre and by LUCK you didn't hit anything.
as for comparing it to someone shooting an automatic weapon at random at a shopping centre... come on, that's not a very good analogy. what next? you're going to compare this kid to someone stealing an army tank shooting off the main gun at random?

i'm not defending this kid's actions. i think he's an absolute moron. but some of you need to learn more about how our legislations and court systems work.
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 11:15 AM   #51
'63Deluxe
Irregular Member

Quote:
It would be like throwing someone in jail for having a gun on them incase they use it, sure they might, but untill they do, you don't have much to go on do you.
Just playing the devils advocate - You could argue that the act if speeding like that is more like shooting the gun and not hitting anything.

I fully agree with you, we don't need harsher laws we just need them enforced better.
'63Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 11:18 AM   #52
Eb Barbie
Banned

It sucks how "car cruises" are mentioned at times like these where people are in the wrong. It brings the clubs down and attracts the cops to cruises even if people are doing the right thing. Now "cruises" are known as "hooning" to those who aren't into cars or aka cops. They're always looking for someone or something to blame...
Eb Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 11:25 AM   #53
xy351
XC 351 GXL toploader 9"

people like this are the reason that young on their l's and p plates face such harsh laws.. when not all young people are stupid enough to do it
Old 07-06-2007, 11:41 AM   #54
Flouro_Joe
Banned

Quote:
Like this:
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/...002431568.html
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/...052974371.html
Flouro_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 11:49 AM   #55
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate
There only one way to describe this "Bloody Idiot". Should of got 3 years in jail and a fine.

Actually driving that speed is ******* stupid and should of been handed a sentence of jail time. I know of one person first drink driving offence, backing his car out of the drive way onto the grass and got 6months in jail in nsw. At that speed someone pulls infront of him he could of collected them and good chance would of killed himself and yet a unknown number of people. You ever heard about someone speeding and taking multiple lifes doing the right thing?

FPV8u you need to wake up to yourself.

Jeff
Mate you get charged for what you have done, not what you could have done, he should have got a 2-3 year holiday from driving and a bigger fine.

3 years in jail... i think it's you who needs to wake up.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:05 PM   #56
3vXT

i dont think jail or a few years without a licence would make much of a difference. untill him and people like him grow up they will keep doing it.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 12:10 PM   #57
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The point here is he's an inexperinecd P plater in a turbo ricer, on a cruise doing 100 kays over the limit on public roads, racing another car.
All these elements add up to big trouble in little China.

Ok so maybe a prison term might be harsh for a first timer (thats first time caught remember), but he has to be taught a lesson.
My answer is instant confiscation of car and sold, and weekend detention for a few months.
Boy has this thread generated some conversation.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:12 PM   #58
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
The point here is he's an inexperinecd P plater in a turbo ricer, on a cruise doing 100 kays over the limit on public roads, racing another car.
All these elements add up to big trouble in little China.

Ok so maybe a prison term might be harsh for a first timer (thats first time caught remember), but he has to be taught a lesson.
My answer is instant confiscation of car and sold, and weekend detention for a few months.
Boy has this thread generated some conversation.
Weekend detention or a number of hours of community service is a good idea.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:23 PM   #59
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Yeh that was the guy I was thinking of. Talking to my gf, he actually lived in their street. He got pinned between the car and the bridge you can see in the news article.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:29 PM   #60
Miller
It's Millertime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flouro_Joe
fully sick EXA?

lol mate, I own an exa and I can tell you now that they lack the nuts to do 100kmh over the limit. They struggle alone to get to 100km/h.