Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #31
UtesRGR8

Default Re: Roadside Assist - your experiences

I've used my RACQ coverage a few times over the years including this morning. I only got to bed about 6:30am after nightwork when I was woken up at 7:30 by the missus saying that her car wouldn't start. I told her to take mine and I would fix it. Well on an hours sleep I didn't want to be crawling around her Swift so I got on the phone and had RACQ at my place within 35 minutes.

Sure I could have got a cheaper battery but then I would have had to locate one and get it to my place and then fit it. I think the $140 was well spent for 3 year warranty battery and the chance to get back to bed.
Old 20-04-2011, 12:10 AM   #32
music189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know a guy had Ultra tune roadside assist called up 6.30am Sat morning was told to wait for the Ultra tune joint where he got it serviced to open, give them a call and if they what him (the breakdown guy) to come out call back!!!

So he thought F### that and rang RACV they got there within 1 hour and problem all fixed.
Guess what he thought of Ultra tune
music189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2011, 12:22 AM   #33
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

we tried "Marshall" roadside assist before we had RACV, soon after it was advertised. We rang, ended up having to call back and be called back several times just to get anything happening. They quoted us on a part, didn't even want to know what sort of motor it was, then charged us over the phone in full. The mechanic finally gets there after an hour or so, then has to go 5 suburbs away for a part, comes back and says 'they're shut'. Later on he comes back after sourcing the part, installs it, then asks to be paid. I said we've already paid for it. This then went on and on, and hours later after some creative accounting on his part it was all settled.

Needless to say i was over the moon with Marshall and plan to use them again. I was so elated about sitting in my car for 5 hours in the rain on a saturday afternoon that i've put them on speed dial.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2011, 01:41 AM   #34
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

after a lifetime of non membership ( i always carry a bag of tools) i decided to join RACQ almost 2 years ago. that was the day that the computer died in the BA ute and it cost me $350 for a tilt tray to take it to town to the Ford dealers. if i had been a member then it would have been a free ride.

membership fees paid for themselves just yesterday when i ran out of LPG (dedicated gas engine) about 20km south of Moree on my way back from Kandos with a trailor load of XB parts. the fuel guage is a bit dodgy and i miss judged how much extra gas it was using with the trailer and a bit of wind .
i just rang the 1800 number on the back of the RACQ card and and it went straight through to the NRMA call center because i was in NSW, the young lady soon had it sorted and the tilt try was there in about 30 -40 minutes to deliver me to the lpg bowser so i could carry on with my trip.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2011, 03:07 AM   #35
Gaz
Got Ghia?

will probably rejoin midyear when I change insurance companies also. (turn 25 in June, so will probably save money by cancelling my old insurance and taking out a new policy).

Used it once or twice on previous cars.

Once when the fuel pump died on the EF. Called them, said just send the tow truck, the fuel pump is dead. They insisted on the tech coming out first. 2 hours later he shows up - yep pumps dead, i'll order the truck. another 30 minutes for the truck to show up!

Frustrating but worth it.
Old 20-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #36
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I rang Ford Roadside Assist a couple of weeks ago, the Ranger was puffing smoke, making a strange noise and had no power, the local RACV bloke showed up within 30 minutes (as promised by Ford)

But while waiting I worked out one of the intercooler hoses had come off and the hose clamp was missing, so when he arrives I ask him for a hose clamp - no sorry don't carry one, and he didn't want to go and get one, I live in a reasonable sized regional City, an Autobarn was less than 5 minutes drive away, bu he wouldn't do it, so I said 'thanks mate' and drove it slowly home and fixed it myself, the hose was off the inlet side no biggie, I am an ex-truckie.