Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-07-2011, 03:19 AM   #31
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: China to Buy Ford or Holden!!!!!

Yes, it's an old and well known problem. The "brand name" bits go out the front door of the factory, and our the side door go the "no name" parts in blank boxes for discount prices...same quality inside, but maybe lesser paint quality or cheaper packaging.

When we owned our Landcruiser, I wanted a snorkel for it. I was aghast at the $600 plus fitting price of them here, and someone suggested looking online. I mean come on...a moulded piece of plastic tube with some fittings? I found a Chinese mob based in Hong Kong that had a simply vast number of fourbie accessories, and there was the snorkel. Someone on a fourbie forum even said that, suspiciously, the part number they quoted on the website was identical to an ARB number for a 100 series snorkel...odd, that. The price was $200 landed at my door, and they offered that they could supply " as many as I liked, from individual ones to a container load" for special prices...no wonder some guys do it for a living on the side.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #32
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Slow news day again IMO... Why so prejudice Drive?!?!?!

Honestly, even if a Chinese firm did 'buy' Holden off GM, they'd probably be better off - there would more capital behind the company and I'm sure whoever hypothetically buys them would probably use them as an engineering hub. Production would be the thing I'd worry about, though.

As for Ford? FoA is not the same as Holden in the sense of being a separate subsidiary of FoMoCo. GM can sell Holden, FoMoCo cannot sell FoA, they could only close them...
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #33
Bossxr8
Peter Car

It wouldn't suprise me, rumour was that when the engine plant was set to close the Chinese were interested in buying it.

Don't know wether they wanted to continue making the I6 here for use in light trucks, or strip the plant and move it all to China to continue I6 production there.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post