Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #31
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: Lack of XR8, Wagon and LPG hurt Falcon - Graziano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
people in the country don't like 4x4's?
not sure if joking.....

Some do but alot of the blokes over 45 wont drive them...... Go to a cattle sale for example, most cattle buyers I deal with all drive VE commodores, same with Elders and Landmark, they only run FG Falcons / VE Commodores simply because those guys have grown up with them and don't like big bulky 4wd's that are uncomfortable and expensive to run, they see no advantage of having a 4wd when they spend most of their time on bitumen roads. Alot of them have seen people get killed in 4wds, sedans are seen as being alot safer...

Theres alot of country people who don't like change, once they find a good thing that does the job its hard to convince them otherwise, Holden definately outsell Ford in this market because they still offer things like a factory roobar and country pack suspension on Omega.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #32
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Some do but alot of the blokes over 45 wont drive them...... Go to a cattle sale for example, most cattle buyers I deal with all drive VE commodores, same with Elders and Landmark, they only run FG Falcons / VE Commodores simply because those guys have grown up with them and don't like big bulky 4wd's that are uncomfortable and expensive to run, they see no advantage of having a 4wd when they spend most of their time on bitumen roads. Alot of them have seen people get killed in 4wds, sedans are seen as being alot safer...

Theres alot of country people who don't like change, once they find a good thing that does the job its hard to convince them otherwise, Holden definately outsell Ford in this market because they still offer things like a factory roobar and country pack suspension on Omega.
Yes around here on the farms, its bascially a VE Commodore and a 79 Series Landcruiser ute in each driveway. The factory roobars are popular out here - but are so ugly, I went with a aftermarket polished nudgebar.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #33
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Yes around here on the farms, its bascially a VE Commodore and a 79 Series Landcruiser ute in each driveway. The factory roobars are popular out here - but are so ugly, I went with a aftermarket polished nudgebar.
Its unbelievable how popular VE's are in the bush... you are dead right..
Old 07-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #34
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its unbelievable how popular VE's are in the bush... you are dead right..
Is there anything the VE has over the FG that works better in the bush??
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #35
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Factory roo bar and country pack suspension... Plus football, meat pies, kangaroos and Holden cars....

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 07-12-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #36
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
In the past the Falcon was much more popular than the Commodore in the bush, the EA to AU were very popular they had a lot higher ride height than the Commodore at the time.

For me living out here I think the VE Commodore looks more 'country'. From an appearance point of view the VE has a higher ride height (which is handy) and the rear end sits higher up in the air - making it look like it can take a load. Whereas the FG looks low and kind of sags in the rear making it look soft and not able to take a lot of weight. Obviously the FG can tow just as well as a VE, it just doesnt look like it can. Its funny how the mind can think things just from appearances.

Anyway just a theory.

Also the factory roo bar and country pack suspension are popular options on the Commodore which you cant get on the Falcon anymore.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #37
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
In the past the Falcon was much more popular than the Commodore in the bush, the EA to AU were very popular they had a lot higher ride height than the Commodore at the time.

For me living out here I think the VE Commodore looks more 'country'. From an appearance point of view the VE has a higher ride height (which is handy) and the rear end sits higher up in the air - making it look like it can take a load. Whereas the FG looks low and kind of sags in the rear making it look soft and not able to take a lot of weight. Obviously the FG can tow just as well as a VE, it just doesnt look like it can. Its funny how the mind can think things just from appearances.

Anyway just a theory.

Also the factory roo bar and country pack suspension are popular options on the Commodore which you cant get on the Falcon anymore.
From where I come from they have always been big on Holdens... My grandpa always had Kingswood's and if he was still here Id say he would be rolling around in a VE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Ic3RqPIJo
Old 07-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #38
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
From where I come from they have always been big on Holdens... My grandpa always had Kingswood's and if he was still here Id say he would be rolling around in a VE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Ic3RqPIJo

I wonder if it has something to do with what is being farmed? Out here its cattle country and they loved the Fords in the 90s. With crops like wheat and barley I wonder if that was Holden country ... anyway just silly theorising. Or maybe its just the region or dealer locations?

One thing's for sure, the VE has taken over most of it.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
I find it interesting that right after the media's story about the Commodore's shaky future it's sales have dropped.

I wasn't, but hey, if it ever does happen I can say I told you so
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #40
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

2WD Low Rider Ranger with 3.7 V6 and 6-speed auto, 305 hp and 280 lb ft.

Of course Ford would never do it....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #41
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
2WD Low Rider Ranger with 3.7 V6 and 6-speed auto, 305 hp and 280 lb ft.

Of course Ford would never do it....
Nah, AWD with the 5.0L Mustang engine and the six speed manual.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post