Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #31
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Default Re: Still a Street Car the AFF definition.

depends on why the question or debate has come up

if it is for racing classes, then the governing bodies opinion is final - the opinions of anyone here means nothing

if it just out of curiosity or to compare one car with another, then who really cares. everyone should just enjoy what they have and forget about anyone else's car. my car would be considered a street car, but it only gets driven 12 times or less a year - only on nice days and not on dirt roads or near car parks or too much other traffic. does that make it less of a street car - i personally do not care

many cars are modified to some extent, so i do not see the point in worrying if someone else's car is a street car or not, just because it has more mods (or really because it goes faster both in a straight line and around corners) than mine. i love my car no matter what it gets pigeon holed into

but to put it bluntly, if it has number plates, i guess that means it is a street car. if it is too far removed from standard, one day the plates may be forcefully removed
Old 27-04-2011, 10:39 PM   #32
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

agreed about the locked diff, my boy wanted his diff welded up for easternats so he didnt hang singles so to speak.... finished the weekend and now wants a lsd coz lockers are "weird on the street" <<<--- his words....... Ahhh he is growing up.
Old 27-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #33
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I drive this to the shops (with NOS disconnected of course) ..... is registered and insured and go drag racing as is ... so it would be a street car?

Would it pass a RWC? Not bloody likely

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 27-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #34
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Interior shots?
Old 27-04-2011, 10:45 PM   #35
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
Interior shots?
Apart from the material on the seat .... stock as

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 27-04-2011, 10:47 PM   #36
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Apart from the material on the seat .... stock as
you got the special murray carter signature edition, complete with monster tacho and fancy steering wheel
Old 27-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #37
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

That looks awesome Auslandau!

Are those Tires street legal? They don't have seem to have much tread....
Old 27-04-2011, 10:53 PM   #38
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Is that a clutch pedal auslandau?

Last edited by Auslandau; 27-04-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 27-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #39
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR
Is that a clutch pedal auslandau?
Foot handbrake .... its a P5/Landau thing

Murray Carter Special (As opposed to the John Goss Special)

Tyres say "Street" ..... by Micky Thompson so they must be legal. The other radials didn't enjoy being driven on and protested a hell of a lot at lights

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 27-04-2011, 11:06 PM   #40
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Auslandau]I drive this to the shops (with NOS disconnected of course) ..... is registered and insured and go drag racing as is ... so it would be a street car?

No . that is a brilliant street car.
Old 27-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #41
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG65TE

No . that is a brilliant street car.
How many 35-40 year old cars would pass a RWC?
Old 27-04-2011, 11:13 PM   #42
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Looking tuff Dave, Hope my lane will look that tough one day.
Old 27-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #43
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ouch, there is roadworthy and there is streetworthy......... roadworthy cries about guages, nitrous, bang shifters, HID, and epa greeny loving loonies. Streetworthy cries about good brakes, steering, suspension, engine.
I can guarantee Auslandaus wouldnt pass roadworthy(neither would mine). But I am well aware of how it goes stops and handles..... So it ticks my streetcar boxes
Old 27-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #44
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

To me it qualifies if it is regularly driven and enjoyed on the roads and will not overheat or carry on. As for passing a RWC, half the cars here on the forums wouldn't pass one.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Old 27-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #45
gtxb67

Quote:
Murray Carter Special (As opposed to the John Goss Special)
so it is the real deal - it isn't all noise and lacking substance
Old 27-04-2011, 11:17 PM   #46
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

There are alot of coupes ( and X series) that are similar or worse than mine (RWC worse). A few blokes in SA have some serious road driven coupes and a few here in vic .... "Falcon Coupe" is one that springs to mind instantly.
Quote:
so it is the real deal - it isn't all noise and lacking substance
Unfortunately its the driver that has the problem

There will be a few at the AFF DRAG NATS if anyone wants to see some great FORDS doing there thing!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 27-04-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 27-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #47
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Good enough in my books, the tyres are the only thing that are questionable but everything else is indicative of a tough dinkum street car.

Daniel
Old 28-04-2011, 02:32 AM   #48
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

In my opinion it has to be registered, able to be refueled at your average petrol station and have at least some hope of being able to drive it through a RBT without the cops entertaining you for a while and giving you a yellow sticky as a momento.

These cars that are trailered to the track, could not get to the local shops without the first cop pulling it over and fueled only on exotic fuels are not street cars.

I also think it must clock up reasonable street km's every year, 50km a year getting loaded on the trailer and running down the track is not street driven.
Old 28-04-2011, 03:07 AM   #49
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
Looking tuff Dave, Hope my lane will look that tough one day.
If that car was a woman, you'd have to keep her locked up at night... and during the day too
Old 28-04-2011, 07:54 AM   #50
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think my '66 Chrysler 300 qualifies as Street Car, driven to Willowbank from Bundaberg, with working a/c, does a lowly un-tuned 15.6 at the moment, Powertracks diff locker, cammed 440 Six Pack, 475 fwhp, and just to prove it's streetable we drove it to Chryslers on the Murray this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chrysler 300 002.jpg (57.1 KB, 40 views)
Old 28-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #51
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

I think regardless of mods, if it can be registered then it is street. Many old cars didnt have the creature comforts (AC/Cruise etc.), also if mods make the old car safer then i say good on em. Who cares if they drop pipes and change tyres for racing? Tell me you dont get a smile when an old falcon rolls up to you at the lights, rumbling its head off, lowered with nice wide rims, and think to yourself- "hell yeah". If the car is engineered and registered with the mods carried out on it- i call Street.
Old 28-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #52
prasac
Banned

for me the most important thing is being engineered and the engine meets the RTA cube to weight rules.

so, any car that has been fully restored and does not have an A/C, stereo etc is not a street car? even if they originally did not come out with it. so all 40,50,60 year old cars out there, which are classics and have been restored to original condition are not street cars?

a car may be built for the track, just because it is doesn't mean it can't drive on the street. we still run the leaf spring suspension, front suspension. yes it's new but it's still the same setup it came out with 40 years ago. mini-tubbed (yes and engineered), 9'' (engineered), 6-point roll cage for safety (engineered) added a new engine and turbo's (engineered and under the max for cube to weight) added gauges (has way more gauges then it ever came out with 40 years ago) all the car is missing that officially came out with 40 years ago is a stereo. when the car was running the 302ci 10.5@127 it was driven daily because he didn't have another car, it was clocking up maybe 300km's a week. as the car is now it is driven to the track, not trailered, is driven every weekend, will do at least 100km (5200km a year minimum)

how many people in Australia can say they have a fully engineered registered car that can run low 8's and possibly 7's???

if people reckon it's so easy go out there and do it.

and for the babies out there complaining there are Supra's/Mustang's/Corvettes in the US running A/C, power windows, factory suspension (IRS etc) running 7's & 8's, the Yanks can do it with practically factory cars, what's stopping all the guys here with hypo turbo and blown new falcons in this forum doing it?

here's an in-car of a Corvette running the factory IRS suspension in it, power windows, Sat Nav, DVD Player, Stereo it can run 7's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXEeWk_fyWM

Dan, i like your signature it's good to see i'm striking a nerve with you and ur going back over every little thing i wrote just goes to show how petty u r
Old 28-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #53
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac
for me the most important thing is being engineered and the engine meets the RTA cube to weight rules.

so, any car that has been fully restored and does not have an A/C, stereo etc is not a street car? even if they originally did not come out with it. so all 40,50,60 year old cars out there, which are classics and have been restored to original condition are not street cars?

a car may be built for the track, just because it is doesn't mean it can't drive on the street. we still run the leaf spring suspension, front suspension. yes it's new but it's still the same setup it came out with 40 years ago. mini-tubbed (yes and engineered), 9'' (engineered), 6-point roll cage for safety (engineered) added a new engine and turbo's (engineered and under the max for cube to weight) added gauges (has way more gauges then it ever came out with 40 years ago) all the car is missing that officially came out with 40 years ago is a stereo. when the car was running the 302ci 10.5@127 it was driven daily because he didn't have another car, it was clocking up maybe 300km's a week. as the car is now it is driven to the track, not trailered, is driven every weekend, will do at least 100km (5200km a year minimum)

how many people in Australia can say they have a fully engineered registered car that can run low 8's and possibly 7's???

if people reckon it's so easy go out there and do it.

and for the babies out there complaining there are Supra's/Mustang's/Corvettes in the US running A/C, power windows, factory suspension (IRS etc) running 7's & 8's, the Yanks can do it with practically factory cars, what's stopping all the guys here with hypo turbo and blown new falcons in this forum doing it?

here's an in-car of a Corvette running the factory IRS suspension in it, power windows, Sat Nav, DVD Player, Stereo it can run 7's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXEeWk_fyWM

Dan, i like your signature it's good to see i'm striking a nerve with you and ur going back over every little thing i wrote just goes to show how petty u r
You arent striking a nerve Paulie, I actually just read the opening post of "your" Capri build for the first time yesterday (never bothered before, not because I dont respect it - its freakin fast -, but if you havent noticed I dont concern myself with race cars or drag racing as an organised sport...... I barely ever comment in the drag racing forums because I joined this forum for the street cars side of things) Lo and behold your opening post calls the Capri a race car.... seems like you're not sure what "your" car is.

There are two aspects to this whole street car thing you dont get on these particular forums.

1) Drawing the line. Once you put a cage in a car its all over..... forget about the argument its a safetly device to win the hearts and minds of do-gooders, what in your mind you considered a street car with a transbraked highstall auto, ET streets and a parachute bracket that's unbolted for daily driving all goes out the window once a cage goes in. The fact is the car is now a street legal race car, used for racing purposes.

2) Big Aussie Falcons and timeslips....Stop talking about Corvette's and Fox bodied mustangs and the like..... To even try and compare apples to apples (even the latest SN197 is still over 100kg lighter than our later Falcons) use a late model GT500 and they are still in the 9's at best manual trans with full slicks, more power than we are running and taken to the track every week pass after pass. The best radial times are very high 9's and at the other extreme once they pull weight out and fit TH400/Glides with tubbed bodies they run 8's. Fact is 99% of regularly drag raced "Street car" GT500's are running 10's. Now you can say "what about the 8.x second XR6T or whatever..... mate these things might be registered but they are gutted out, have 90/10 shocks (which are not safe to drive on tight mountain passes or the great ocean road for example).... these are not street cars they are race cars.

The fact is you dont get that only a full weight, full bodied, uncaged, essentially stock-when-you-open-the-door car is a real street car, everything else is just a claim or a drag racing sanctioning bodies idea of a street car

A good example is Lee's car (Dalts)..... it hasnt got a cage but its running a glide and raced on slicks.... its right on the cusp of no longer being considered a street car (some would already say its not due to the two speed) and as soon as the welder goes near it that's all over for its legitimacy. So how can you say that a 2-door Capri with a 30psi 4.0L Lexus V8 with a rollcage, parachute, drag setup in the suspension is a street car?

ANDRA may say its a street car, the cops might let you go once you produce the papers, but joe public look at it and say "race car on the street"

Daniel
Old 28-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #54
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With the different road laws we have in this country,of course we will get different responses
Whats a legal mod in 1 state doesnt mean itll pass in another
A quick read on the QLD transport site and your eyes will pop out
No running 15 X 10s on my XC,not legal
No NOS ,even IF un hooked
Turbo law,not a factory fitment , no go

We ran an LJ torrie many moons ago
Drove from one side of brissie to willowbank
Peeled flat 13s all nite,no NOS or Turbo , just N/a
Then drove home
It was driven alot on the streets,was it road worthy
Nope
Did it run on pump fuel
Yes
Did all the safety features work
Yes
Welded rear diff, legal
Not likely
So although some can be driven,with mod cons (if thats your fancy)
It doesnt make them more or less street
To decifer a true street car
Id like to see them pass in every state in australia
Thatll sort the real true street cars from the not so
Old 28-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #55
prasac
Banned

Dan, well actually more people than not are saying if it's registered etc then it's a street car, so Joe public has spoken. u can look at it how u want a ''street car that is raced'' or a ''race car that is driven on the street'' it doesn't have a drag suspension it runs leaf springs and shocks, which is exactly what it came out with 40 years ago. when you run fast you have to put chutes, cages etc in, it's the rules no exception. if u want to run ur car down an ANDRA sanctioned track that is the rule. Porsche 911 and a few other ''super cars'' come out with roll cages in them, these cars are 100% street cars, so what is the difference, just because the factory installs a roll cage then it's a street car? if u want to go into deep detail a ''TRUE'' street car is one that is untouched from the factory. once a car needs an engineer's certificate for a mod then why should it be a street car it should be a modified car driven on the street, that's exactly what the Capri is and exactly what both your cars are. you run 30psi also, we don't go anywhere near 30psi on the street, it barely gets out of vacuum there is no need to have to rev the car or get up on boost. it can drive and overtake in vacuum.

it's a fine line what is and isn't which is why everyone has differing opinions. ultimately to me and i know most other people it comes down to the car being legally registered and any mods done has an engineering certificate to prove it.
Old 28-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #56
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac
Dan, well actually more people than not are saying if it's registered etc then it's a street car, so Joe public has spoken. u can look at it how u want a ''street car that is raced'' or a ''race car that is driven on the street'' it doesn't have a drag suspension it runs leaf springs and shocks, which is exactly what it came out with 40 years ago. when you run fast you have to put chutes, cages etc in, it's the rules no exception. if u want to run ur car down an ANDRA sanctioned track that is the rule. Porsche 911 and a few other ''super cars'' come out with roll cages in them, these cars are 100% street cars, so what is the difference, just because the factory installs a roll cage then it's a street car? if u want to go into deep detail a ''TRUE'' street car is one that is untouched from the factory. once a car needs an engineer's certificate for a mod then why should it be a street car it should be a modified car driven on the street. you run 30psi also, we don't go anywhere near 30psi on the street, it barely gets out of vacuum there is no need to have to rev the car or get up on boost. it can drive and overtake in vacuum.

it's a fine line what is and isn't which is why everyone has differing opinions. ultimately to me and i know most other people it comes down to the car being legally registered and any mods done has an engineering certificate to prove it.
Joe public isnt the guys on AFF, its the everyday people out in the real world..... take the Capri to the shops next saturday morning at 10am..... ask 50 people to look inside and outside the car over the engine bay, caged interior etc.... out of those 50 you may get a few enthusiasts that consider it a street car, but mum and dad, nan and pop and most kids will say its a race car.

There is a reason why you said "stopped by Police alot of times"..... look at it!

I am yet to be pulled over in the FG and its done over 10,000kms, how many times has the Capri been pulled over in 10,000kms (if its done that many kms in that stage of its life that is)

There is a huge difference between a street car that is raced and a race car driven on the street..... its the defining point being made.... "your" Capri isnt a street car its a race car.

Daniel
Old 28-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #57
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

To me a street car needs to be able to pass inspection from your local transport authority.

Which means if you can drive it up to the transport department and pass the inspection, it's a street car.

You can put on all the rego stickers and number plates you want, unless it passes my second sentence to me it ain't a street car. Simple.
Old 28-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #58
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think having a/c means squat Cat600, same goes for the sheet metal dash. Had a mate in Mackay a few years back with an XB Coupe, no a/c and a fiberglass dash (as unappealing as any sheet metal dash). This car was built for use as a street car and was even used for daily duties to and from work for several months.
I agree with the role cage though, if it has one fitted it becomes a street registered race car.
Old 28-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #59
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
Joe public isnt the guys on AFF, its the everyday people out in the real world..... take the Capri to the shops next saturday morning at 10am..... ask 50 people to look inside and outside the car over the engine bay, caged interior etc.... out of those 50 you may get a few enthusiasts that consider it a street car, but mum and dad, nan and pop and most kids will say its a race car.

There is a reason why you said "stopped by Police alot of times"..... look at it!

I am yet to be pulled over in the FG and its done over 10,000kms, how many times has the Capri been pulled over in 10,000kms (if its done that many kms in that stage of its life that is)

There is a huge difference between a street car that is raced and a race car driven on the street..... its the defining point being made.... "your" Capri isnt a street car its a race car.

Daniel
even if it's a registered race car, it's still 100% legal as any of your or anyone else's daily is. everything has an engineer's report and cleared with RTA. same process u had to go thru with your street car this went thru.

never been stopped once by Police when we cruise it alone.

has been stopped 4 or 5 times when we go to car shows/meets etc, but then so is every other car that we are cruising with, and then it's just do you have an engineer's report, when say yes they let us go. Police don't even give it a second glance, as it's so quiet, nothing protudes out of the bonnet, it's looks and sounds very tame compared to the other cars. apart from the intercooler, only once did the Police say anything about the intercooler and that was ''sheesh, it's got a big radiator''

Last edited by prasac; 28-04-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 28-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #60
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Tori's cousin has a corolla KE20 with a turbo 2JZ, N2O, powerglide, cage, shute and tubbed. It runs 7.977@178mph on radials, street registered and has been driven from Cleveland in Brisbane to Willowbank. Is it a true street car, no way. It could not be driven in daytime traffic and the first RBT you tried to drive through would result in a windscreen decoration of the colored kind.