Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-12-2008, 10:54 AM   #31
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Yes, all cars that are sold in global markets. Until Ford bites the bullet and builds a global sedan then we can forget anything to cutting edge as the costs are too high for a small outfit.

Harsh but true. And for the $$ spent the FG is a exceptionally looking car, look no further than the G series. Put a G6ET next to any of those and it wont look out of place.

Then again styling is very personal and hardly an objective measure.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #32
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
What would be the point of that? Qualifies as a sale doesn't put money in the bank and you've just devalued the car enormously.
Dealers register demos to get more bonus / depreciation on them.. Holden instructed most dealers to registered all 07 VE's to get further bonus money on them, and help move them...

Ford does the same thing, but I believe holden has a alot more 07 plate stock left then Ford atm.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #33
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Dealers register demos to get more bonus / depreciation on them.. Holden instructed most dealers to registered all 07 VE's to get further bonus money on them, and help move them...

Ford does the same thing, but I believe holden has a alot more 07 plate stock left then Ford atm.
I got the impression that the 'rumor' that was being suggested had nothing to do with demos but to register cars to make it look like a vfact sale.

Otherwise, what would be the point of a rumor that's already common knowledge and has been done for years.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 11:42 AM   #34
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarian
FG is too boring for my taste. Would i own one in the future? Most likely..

But for crying out loud.. look at design cues that are going on in todays trend and have a little glimpse at what comes out from Europe, these cars have bodies/designs like a hot sizzling female a man could die for.

Citroen C5

Yeah, French cars a great, pity the accoldes end at the (polarising) style and safety

Audi A4

Audi's backup is great to, Meekathara dealership should open sometime this century

New BMW 5 series

Bangles, you either love him or want to see him thrown off a bridge with one of his designs strapped to his back

VW Passat 2008

Love it, pity its a tad smaller than the Falcon, and FWD. But apart from that it would be my second choice after a G6

See notes, styling has little to do with overall sales. If it didn't we would all be working hard for DB9's now wouldn't we.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:57 AM   #35
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Car sales have taken a dive for the fourth month running, casting a pall over what is expected to be a year that many car makers and importers will be hoping to forget.
I just read another Age article this morning that suggested this year was shaping up to be the second best year ever.

Aaahhh... journalism.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #36
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
I just read another Age article this morning that suggested this year was shaping up to be the second best year ever.

Aaahhh... journalism.
Well it was good for the importers when the dollar was worth more than 90c US, local manufacturing has had a shocker.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #37
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am glad that imports cost more.
I want people to support local industry.
My father is a massive miser when it comes to cost. He only EVER buys base model cars, unless a safety-model is present (as in the case of the Acclaim).
However, he refuses to buy a small car just to save money.
His view is that for a relatively low price (comparative to imports and even larger 4-cylinders), you get a large, safe car with good power. The costs of petrol are just the price for piece of mind, rather than driving a small car where one hit will have you in intensive car, or dead.
For him, he sees a large car as a form of insurance.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 01:05 PM   #38
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr

Aaahhh... journalism.
I presume they are talking calender year, and the calender year will look good as most of the sales success was earlier in the year. If they are talking financial year then its way to early to make that call. However we are seeing large percentage drops in sales and who knows when the market (for selling cars) will improve

I never could work out how Australians managed to buy 1 million cars in a year, given our population is 20 million

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 05:00 PM   #39
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i was reading in another thread that fords are largely 'made to order' whereas the holdens are made first and then sold? if this is correct maybe all the cars the dealers 'buy' and which are still sitting around the many yards around the country, are inflating the sales figures.
Ford will build the ordered models and then if they dont have enough for a full days run they will build models that are lacking.
Holden will have alot more cars lying around because they have been building alot more cars then Ford and didn't react quick enough to the global slowdown.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:54 PM   #40
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Ford will build the ordered models and then if they dont have enough for a full days run they will build models that are lacking.
Holden will have alot more cars lying around because they have been building alot more cars then Ford and didn't react quick enough to the global slowdown.
Ford have reacted better not only globally but also locally it seems. Their stock control is quit good from most reports and they didn't have massive orders for imports so although sales might be down, at least there is less to discount to move.

Toyota has admitted that it has over 40,000 vehicles in excess of requirements. Which, in a perverse way, would mean that they have 2months worth of stock bought at the old imported / dollar prices.

Holden is rumoured to have 20,000 Commodores out to pasture. That is 5mths worth of stock. No wonder they are offering $29,990 driveaway deals and massively cutting back production (albeit too late).

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #41
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Would like to know how many Toyota Camry's and Aurions are sitting in that 40,000 unit stockpile?
Old 05-12-2008, 08:35 PM   #42
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Um considering how things have been its not thaaaat bad. Concern to me would be why the ute and Terry dropped that much. A drop was a given but thats a fair bit.

Mondeo finally did well.
I'm assuming Territory numbers have been kept low so the dealers aren't left with unsold stock when the new model is released.

The VE ute has outsold the FG ute for the first time. Thats a disgrace.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 10:27 PM   #43
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I'm assuming Territory numbers have been kept low so the dealers aren't left with unsold stock when the new model is released.

I would say ford isn't too worried about territory really. New tezza isn't that far away and i haven't seen much in stock around dealers so mostly to order i think.....except for a few F6X sitting around!!!

As for ute, that is puzzling, because ford has been solidy ahead of holden in the ute sales since FG (well prior to that aswell really). Only thing i think of is the crazy deals Holden is doing on commodores generally. We all know Holden isn't makign diddly from exporting the commodore to the states, and middle east is only slightly beneficial at best. But with local stockpiles sky high there is a serious glut of stuff around at holden dealerships. I've seen SS utes going at prices you'd think were dealer demos or second hand - but they are new.

Mate of mine was negotiating on a G6E from ford a few months ago and ford totally halted production pretty much post August - deals on pre-september cars were very good, whereever they were in the ford sytem. But cars built after that were much more expensive with no bonuses etc. Holden reacted, as usual, far too late to this move in the market and now they are paying for it.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 10:34 PM   #44
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:

I would say ford isn't too worried about territory really. New tezza isn't that far away and i haven't seen much in stock around dealers so mostly to order i think.....except for a few F6X sitting around!!!

As for ute, that is puzzling, because ford has been solidy ahead of holden in the ute sales since FG (well prior to that aswell really). Only thing i think of is the crazy deals Holden is doing on commodores generally. We all know Holden isn't makign diddly from exporting the commodore to the states, and middle east is only slightly beneficial at best. But with local stockpiles sky high there is a serious glut of stuff around at holden dealerships. I've seen SS utes going at prices you'd think were dealer demos or second hand - but they are new.

Mate of mine was negotiating on a G6E from ford a few months ago and ford totally halted production pretty much post August - deals on pre-september cars were very good, whereever they were in the ford sytem. But cars built after that were much more expensive with no bonuses etc. Holden reacted, as usual, far too late to this move in the market and now they are paying for it.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 05-12-2008, 11:10 PM   #45
Johndec
FG XR8 Ute and AU3 XR8

Quote:
It's probably just a blip. Maybe a large government order came through last month for the VE. Some departments like Sydney Water love them...

Another thing to keep in mind that Fords' stock levels are much lower. Hell, it took me nearly 8 weeks to get an FG XR8 ute out of them. Ford are now basically "building to order" which may be costing them some sales lost to the impatient types, but at least the don't have a gazillion unsold cars laying around rusting away!!
Johndec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 11:15 PM   #46
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's it...

While Ford have lower stocks, they cannot afford to sell their vehicles as cheap as Holden, who as mentioned previously, have far too much stock sitting around.

I reckon you could get a nice deal on a VE ute if you bargained well.

Some people also don't like the "tacked on" tray look on the Falcon, not understanding the purpose of it (of course).

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 01:30 AM   #47
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

oops, double post....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 06-12-2008, 09:24 AM   #48
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The monthly graphical review is now uploaded and can be found HERE

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 06-12-2008 at 12:29 PM.
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 12:29 PM   #49
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Likewise, the supplementary stats are also uploaded and can be found HERE.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post