Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #31
Poorboy_racer

Default Re: How to Park your Pride and Joy - House for Sale

Quote:
Why isn't it to code? How do you know this isn't approved??

Why can't this be in a new place???

I wonder how many houses don't currently 100% comply with whatever 'code' is in place?? My old house didn't, my current unit doesn't... big deal.... Why is it a fire risk? How different is it to a gas heater / fire place / stove??
I design houses for a living. Sorry to be a killjoy but
you have to have min 100mm between a garage floor level and the house level (suposedly to contain any flamable spillage) which is why you should step up from your garage into your house. If you have a window between a garage and a dwelling it has to be high level or fire rated glass which is very expensive. They are suposed to be fire seperated areas. Yes I see a lot of houses which one way or another dont comply with the BCA and, or R Codes. In theory I supose you could possibly do it, if you agreed to drain all petrol out of the car before parking it in the dwelling rendering it a display rather than an operational car. How is it different to a Gas Heater? fair point, I dont make the rules. But you should see the rules for flamable goods storage which as far as the BCA is conserned a car is.
Poorboy_racer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #32
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorboy_racer
I design houses for a living. Sorry to be a killjoy but
you have to have min 100mm between a garage floor level and the house level (suposedly to contain any flamable spillage) which is why you should step up from your garage into your house. If you have a window between a garage and a dwelling it has to be high level or fire rated glass which is very expensive. They are suposed to be fire seperated areas. Yes I see a lot of houses which one way or another dont comply with the BCA and, or R Codes. In theory I supose you could possibly do it, if you agreed to drain all petrol out of the car before parking it in the dwelling rendering it a display rather than an operational car. How is it different to a Gas Heater? fair point, I dont make the rules. But you should see the rules for flamable goods storage which as far as the BCA is conserned a car is.
Yes, that would be all good and well if the room was a 'garage'. I would assume that they have bent the rules by calling that room anything but a garage on the plans.

I think it is a clever little nook that happens to allow the entry and exibition of something large. If that area had a few book shelves, a rug, a coffee table and a lounge setting infront of a TV unit no-one would have blinked an eye... but then there is nothing stopping you from using that room for just that as well.

Is a parked car really a 'flamable goods storage' item?? And would that also include the bottle of metho under my kitchen sink, or the bottles of home made grog with an RON of 105 on the wine rack at my parents place?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2012, 01:36 AM   #33
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a couple of my cars and a bike in my lounge or two years and it was awesome. Porsche, XB GT, and CB250 cafe racer. I was living in a garage at the time though...
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2012, 03:05 AM   #34
paulb351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Perhaps the lift has a rolling conveyor as the floor that then transfers the cars to their holding area, that also has a rolling conveyor as a floor...

Not that hard to do if you have a building budget in the tens / hundreds of millions.
Remember in Singapore you bid for a licence to own a car before you can buy one. A Corolla ownership licence is about 4 times the cost of the car. Licence for the cars in that shot could pay for the house with the Holden in it twice over!
paulb351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post