Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #31
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 
Default Re: Ford has a brand issue so who do they turn to........

Meh!

So the best thing about buying a new Ford is you can talk to the sound system.

Next.
Old 15-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #32
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Ad is weird but hey if it grabs people's attention and gets them talking about it, job done.
Good to see the technology available here finally.
LOL at all the naive anti-MS comments.
Old 15-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #33
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Some people will never be happy, everything FoA does seems to be rubbish.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #34
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
It's almost wishfull thinking on their behalf isn't it.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #35
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe Ford needs to get someone with a German accent to do their adverts, that might satisfy the haters.... But I do think that Ford need to get more ads out there showing off the technology that their vehilces actually have.
Old 15-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #36
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83

thats not it at all......I simply cannot see the point in the ad.....there is no selling point or "catch" other than if you speak to the stereo then a very scary and very old John Farnham jumps out

where's the "catchy" tune.....the "hook" the "feel good" about buying a Ford....none of the above are there

Holden made the point of stating "you're one of us"........where's Fords discounts and statements of technical brilliance, innovation, reliability, built local, pride in construction

instead it focuses on a cd player.....sorry but if the stereo is the best part of the car then I dont want one

this ad would not encourage me to even look at Ford.......it is hollow at best and demeaning at worse if FOA thinks all we customers want is a stereo that will obey voice commands

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #37
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

I have to say that i posted my comment after viewing the ad on my phone. Now that i have seen the ad on my big screen, i can see that is is supposed to be a bit of a cheesy ad. If its supposed to be a cheesy ad, then i guess its ok.

But if it is supposed to be a serious tech ad...........my original comments still stand.

I got nothing against Farnsy, just thought he is not the most suitable for the target market.
Old 15-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #38
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

deleted
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #39
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
it is hollow at best and demeaning at worse if FOA thinks all we customers want is a stereo that will obey voice commands
althought i do think the ad is horrible, i think your wrong on that point

showing off the tech on a multimedia system is a good angle, i think the old Mondeo ad was very good the way they did it, the car looked like a million bucks too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgirOMNxlfM

Now compare the Mondeo ad to this current one, it makes it look like a circus !!
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #40
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I thought it was supposed to be an add hyping the stereo to begin with, as if there was a concert inside the car.

Apart from the obvious voice link though I don't know what it does for Sync. They had a Mondeo ad years ago with the dog that did as much as this ad did to highlight the new features.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #41
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

okay well compare that to the old "B" series ad's........I wonder if anyone will remember this latest ad in close to, what, 10 years or whatever it is

the ad that was produced by our own in house gent is streets ahead of this one

shows technology, pride, reliability and modern features with a catchy tune, okay tune may be dated but surely the millions of dollars that are pumped into advertising could come up with something better than "you're the voice"

compare that ad to a Microsoft inspired stereo to sell cars

I'm not a Ford hater and I'm not a hater in general but I simply see a missed opportunity by Ford and particularly their advertising department

size, luxury, reliability, power, innovation.......the list goes on......the positives are wide and varied

there are so many angles that an advertising company could have approached this from and yet they chose a voice command stereo and a very old icon

I really dont know what the exec's at Ford are thinking with their marketing strategy but this is not the way forward for Ford

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 15-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #42
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder
I got nothing against Farnsy, just thought he is not the most suitable for the target market.
Maybe they could shove that stereo into the LPGLI Falcon, maybe then farnsy could be the right person (old guy with a good voice and gas).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #43
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is a technology that very few if any other vehicles have.

The ability to operate the ICC and call or text on your phone without even looking at it let alone touching it.

In this age of "ubernannyistaism" you don't think that a car that will be safer for your darling P plate son/daughter to drive would not be a HUGE drawcard over competing offers?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #44
Elements

I'm pretty sure that in watching this ad, this is about brand building. Notice there was no mention that it was a Focus? About the only thing that would trigger in most peoples' minds regarding specific models would be that "this is the car off The Voice".

I'm sure this isn't the only technology that Ford will be promoting from a brand-perspective. I'd hope we start seeing EcoBoost, etc ads coming out too. Currently, Ford's image is that of a dinosaur - and this helps chip away at changing that image.

I personally thought this ad fits that bill perfectly. And how is that song not catchy?
Elements is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #45
anto
Za Dom spremni

What could be better than using an Australian icon to help draw attention, love him or hate him. I'm certianly no fan of his. Fact is everyone knows that song and it will help set the ad apart from the white noise during the ad break. Total winner.
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #46
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think The Voice is a very catchy tune and I linked it straightaway to "Voice Command" which was being demonstrated in the ad. I don't think too deeply over commercials but I thought this was a pretty good ad.
Old 15-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #47
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it reminds me of a mate of mine that bought his very first house a very long time ago

he rang me up, filled with pride, to come and "take a look"......so I did

fencing was falling down, roof was rusting, walls full of salt damp, rising damp present, white ants were obvious

with chest swelling and a grin from ear to ear he pronounced ................"it has a tiled bathroom!"

the technology is a major leap forward in motor vehicles but is very ho-hum in this day and age.......the spoken command has been around for a long time, bluetooth and other stuff......Iphones and smart computers that yak away taking notes

I yak with my hands free and mobile in my vehicle daily

but anyway.....doesnt matter......I just think that Ford have had so many other innovations over the years that an opportunity may have been missed to do something that may make them a little bit more competitive and appealing.....I simply don't reckon this ad did it

Old 15-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #48
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Good attempt. At least its different but.... John Farnham is Aussie - great, I get that... but he's getting old, out of date: is the target market of this ad over 40s only? Is this the best person to be promoting BRAND NEW technology in new Fords? Don't know - but at least it's better than the forgettable ads Ford have been trotting out recently.

Bring back the good old 'Have you Driven a Ford lately' campaign.

Oh, and advertise the brilliant but forgotton Ecoboost Falcon. Even, I guess, if John Farnham has to make another appearance. We'll take any ad for that poor car...
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #49
Mad_Pom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elements
I'm pretty sure that in watching this ad, this is about brand building. Notice there was no mention that it was a Focus? About the only thing that would trigger in most peoples' minds regarding specific models would be that "this is the car off The Voice".

I'm sure this isn't the only technology that Ford will be promoting from a brand-perspective. I'd hope we start seeing EcoBoost, etc ads coming out too. Currently, Ford's image is that of a dinosaur - and this helps chip away at changing that image.

I personally thought this ad fits that bill perfectly. And how is that song not catchy?
What like this one ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFYL2S7S_O4
Mad_Pom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #50
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Holden made the point of stating "you're one of us"........where's Fords discounts and statements of technical brilliance, innovation, reliability, built local, pride in construction
Sorry poppa but I have to disagree with you on this one. The average buyer doesn't give a crap about 'you're one of us' or pride in construction or where the car is made. If anything people these days want to distance themselves from Holden so the 'you're one of us' garbage is only gonna appeal to the 50+ Holden crowd who never stopped buying Commodores in the first place.

Quote:
instead it focuses on a cd player.....sorry but if the stereo is the best part of the car then I dont want one

this ad would not encourage me to even look at Ford.......it is hollow at best and demeaning at worse if FOA thinks all we customers want is a stereo that will obey voice commands
That's what the average 20-40 year old buyer cares about, they want cool gadgets in their cars that integrate with their smartphones, ipods, GPS etc. Almost all new midsize and small cars are well built, decent to drive and get excellent fuel economy, thats a given. Even new Kias are great these days, so Ford has gone out of their way to flaunt something smart, techy and sets the Fiesta apart from the Rios and i30s and it appeals exactly to their target demographic, young urban working people that love tech and buy small, fuel efficient cars. In that respect it's a good ad.
Old 15-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #51
Elements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Pom
Thanks, I hadn't seen that. Can't really watch it with sound, being at work and all, so I'll reserve judgment until I can...
Elements is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #52
Mad_Pom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elements
Thanks, I hadn't seen that. Can't really watch it with sound, being at work and all, so I'll reserve judgment until I can...
Check out the FordofAustralia You tube channel, they upload everything.
Mad_Pom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #53
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
I'm not a Ford hater and I'm not a hater in general
You could have fooled me
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #54
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

fair enough.......I just thought it could have been so much better than an advert for Microsoft.......

so much innovative competition with internal wizardry nowadays that if ford focus on technical features that are in the car they will lose to the overseas market

Old 15-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #55
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_gxl
You could have fooled me
please explain that statement

Old 15-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #56
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im buying a car not a dukebox with wheels sheesh... no wonder the world is getting stupidier and the earth is dying at the same time.

Enough of the entertainment vehicles on wheels, a car is a tool not a lounge.

Maybe they should spend more time investing to make cars more affordable.

I dont need my car to talk to facebook and post how its feeling either.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #57
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
please explain that statement

Comments in this thread about the ad and your mates house just seem negative.

There is way too much of these types of sentiments creeping into this forum.
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #58
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
where's the "catchy" tune.....the "hook" the "feel good" about buying a Ford....none of the above are there
That add as ALL of these if you ask me!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #59
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
okay well compare that to the old "B" series ad's........I wonder if anyone will remember this latest ad in close to, what, 10 years or whatever it is

the ad that was produced by our own in house gent is streets ahead of this one

shows technology, pride, reliability and modern features with a catchy tune, okay tune may be dated but surely the millions of dollars that are pumped into advertising could come up with something better than "you're the voice"

compare that ad to a Microsoft inspired stereo to sell cars

I'm not a Ford hater and I'm not a hater in general but I simply see a missed opportunity by Ford and particularly their advertising department

size, luxury, reliability, power, innovation.......the list goes on......the positives are wide and varied

there are so many angles that an advertising company could have approached this from and yet they chose a voice command stereo and a very old icon
I really dont know what the exec's at Ford are thinking with their marketing strategy but this is not the way forward for Ford
If you dont think Technology is one of the best angles to use in selling a car in the year 2012, then you have NO IDEA!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #60
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
so much innovative competition with internal wizardry nowadays that if ford focus on technical features that are in the car they will lose to the overseas market
They aren't marketing the Falcon's technical features because the remaining private buyers of new Falcons are, on average, 45-60 year old men who are more interested in the fact that it's a Falcon and aren't as tech literate as younger buyers. Look at the number of posts saying 'bring back manual windows! bloody electronics!' so why would they waste money marketing those features?