Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #31
crymoarpls
Banned

Default Re: FPV boss says future is secure

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
some would call it junk.. those in the know would refer to it as character....
yeah haven't you seen the shannon's ad - it's love mate, pure and simple.
crymoarpls is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #32
1TUFFUTE
Banned

as if you would diss or even try to compare new cars to cars like xy gt falcons. They are historical beasts....machines which have nothing to prove anymore and exist as a legacy. Purely to be enjoyed.Not compared at all with modern vihicles.
And from what ive seen the most likely replacement for the new falcon will be what ever model they decide to go with for the new GLOBAL large car
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #33
prydey
Rob

i was merely stating a fact that not everyone soils themselves over 40yr old cars. i'm well aware of the history and heritage and dribble over them in magazines or at shows, but i would never own one as a daily. i like modern. i'm pretty sure i'm not alone.

junk may have been a poor choice of wording but i think my point was made
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #34
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
as if you would diss or even try to compare new cars to cars like xy gt falcons. They are historical beasts....machines which have nothing to prove anymore and exist as a legacy. Purely to be enjoyed.Not compared at all with modern vihicles.
And from what ive seen the most likely replacement for the new falcon will be what ever model they decide to go with for the new GLOBAL large car
Its also a bit unfair too compare the oldies with the newies. theres like over 40 years difference between current FG and the XY. thou i think the XW-XYs look nicer. I like the feel of some of the older cars when you drive them compared too most newer cars. so even with all the new flashy stuff in our newer cars i can still enjoy driving a 20 year old plus car just as much if not more then the newer ones. plus you feel speed more in the older ones!!!
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 12:03 AM   #35
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
quoted for truth...

A GTHO would be our flagship, at the moment the GT R Spec is our flagship.

That would be a little more accurate. Saying that GT R spec is a GTHO is bassfaming to me as a Ford fan. and a bit arrogant
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 12:07 AM   #36
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i was merely stating a fact that not everyone soils themselves over 40yr old cars. i'm well aware of the history and heritage and dribble over them in magazines or at shows, but i would never own one as a daily. i like modern. i'm pretty sure i'm not alone.

Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #37
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED Classic
That would be a little more accurate. Saying that GT R spec is a GTHO is bassfaming to me as a Ford fan. and a bit arrogant
Why?

The R-Spec checks of most of the GTHO requirements, its a GT that is focused on track work.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #38
crymoarpls
Banned

Quote:
i actually tried to use a 70's v8 aussie car for a daily earlier this year. it lasted a week. no power steer, bad brakes and worrying about something happening to it with it being very difficult (if not impossible) to replace killed that for me and resulted in me buying the used xr8 i have now.

a cool classic will always turn more heads than a new car though imho because they really don't make them like that anymore (which is a good and a bad thing but a fact of life and what people pay $$ for).

all the best for a great weekend everyone.
crymoarpls is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #39
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

I think the best part of those statements is what was not said.

FPV have recently said they have no interest in small cars, so they must be very confident that come 2016 there will be a RWD Ford of some descritpion big enough to accommodate a 5.0 Supercharged V8 available in Australia. They still have $36 million to recoup and are apparently confident of doing so, so that means its a Falcon or a US substitute but its still RWD and V8.

Thats good news all around in my view.
Old 17-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #40
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am still of the unsubstantiated opinion that The Falcon will morph into a world car, likely a Lincoln in the states (manufactured in USA for LHD, and maybe Australia for RHD). It then may be in Au as prestige only (no XT?). And FPV would would use that as a performance car.
This fits well with the new names on the Fairmont and Ghia.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #41
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
The R-Spec checks of most of the GTHO requirements, its a GT that is focused on track work.
And i am anxiously waiting for one of the FPR boys to rip up a track somewhere with one, and i don’t mean just a couple of laps for the cameras either.....i want to see it flogged mercilessly as a “track ready” car should be.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #42
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Hell yes!
Old 17-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #43
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
I am still of the unsubstantiated opinion that The Falcon will morph into a world car, likely a Lincoln in the states (manufactured in USA for LHD, and maybe Australia for RHD). It then may be in Au as prestige only (no XT?). And FPV would would use that as a performance car.
This fits well with the new names on the Fairmont and Ghia.
I think Falcon and a Lincoln should share a chassis with the next Mustang.
Old 18-08-2012, 04:53 AM   #44
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT
I think the best part of those statements is what was not said.

FPV have recently said they have no interest in small cars, so they must be very confident that come 2016 there will be a RWD Ford of some descritpion big enough to accommodate a 5.0 Supercharged V8 available in Australia. They still have $36 million to recoup and are apparently confident of doing so, so that means its a Falcon or a US substitute but its still RWD and V8.

Thats good news all around in my view.
Yeah he is sort of hinting at something isn't he. Also hinted that they're committed to the company and "the badge". Last time I checked, that badge had a Falcon's head features.

And going by the Control IRS spotted under a mustang test mule. We can probably assume that Falcon will get new life in 2016.

Quote:

Anyone who owns an original GTHO wouldn't use it as a daily either. You completely miss the point prydey. GTHO was the ducks nuts in the seventies, and that's all that matters. It's a legend muscle car, and for a person with the dosh... it's their legend.
Old 18-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #45
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
And going by the Control IRS spotted under a mustang test mule. We can probably assume that Falcon will get new life in 2016.
Or the next Mustang is coming to Australia. Ford has said they want to sell the Mustang worldwide, and ditching the live axle will help with that.
Old 18-08-2012, 08:35 AM   #46
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Anyone who owns an original GTHO wouldn't use it as a daily either. You completely miss the point prydey. GTHO was the ducks nuts in the seventies, and that's all that matters. It's a legend muscle car, and for a person with the dosh... it's their legend.
True story,
My father was a foreman /road tester at Metro Ford Brizzy in the early 1970s.
They had a GTHO come in for a service, the plugs were all fouled up from low speed traffic driving.
After a regular oil change, filters and fresh plugs, a pair of Mechs reportedly went out and gave it a lung full
up the back of Herston Road and came back sweet as a nut, owner was advised and very pleased with results.
( but that was 40 years ago and such things don't happen today...)
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #47
prydey
Rob

Quote:
no, i don't miss the point. the GTHO wasn't anything more than a slightly faster GT back in its day. hardly the ducks nuts. they were reasonably affordable too. the hype and hysteria surrounding them has been created mainly by this, and the previous generations, not the generations that bought them new. i also find it slightly amusing that the phase 3 gets put on such a pedestal and people tend to forget about the XW. i'm not denying the car has a heritage and racing pedigree, but to put it on a pedestal and say no other car can wear the badge....
i love a good old falcon, but the reality is, in todays terms, they are not much chop.

a standard falcon xt taxi would lap bathurst quicker as well. just sayin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
True story,
My father was a foreman /road tester at Metro Ford Brizzy in the early 1970s.
They had a GTHO come in for a service, the plugs were all fouled up from low speed traffic driving.
After a regular oil change, filters and fresh plugs, a pair of Mechs reportedly went out and gave it a lung full
up the back of Herston Road and came back sweet as a nut, owner was advised and very pleased with results.
( but that was 40 years ago and such things don't happen today...)
commonly referred to as an italian tune.
Old 18-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #48
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Back in '69 -'70 the price of a 440 Cortina was $2250, a Falcon 500 was around $2500 and the GT nearly double that.
Time and inflation, add 15x to those prices and you get around $34K for a Mondeo, $37,000 for an XR6, and around 75,000 for a GT.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #49
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

a standard falcon xt taxi would lap bathurst quicker as well. just sayin

2:36.5 Allan Moffat 1972, in a Phase 3. 12 seconds faster than the previous years record.

http://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/eve.../2012-results/

If you have a look at last years results from the bathurst 12 hour it takes significantly more than a 6 cylinder falcon to eclipse that time.

I have both ends of the spectrum, a G6E turbo, and a 65 mustang built in September of 1964. I can tell you now the old car is much more exhilarating when you are up it, even though it only has 220rwhp from its' dinasour carb fed 302.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #50
prydey
Rob

there was no chase in 1972.

this is getting way off topic. i admire the cars of yesteryear, but for me it is not taboo to put them down compared to todays cars. it seems for some it is sacrilege to mention them in a bad light.

sure they have character and all that. it was not my point.
Old 18-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #51
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

For sure old cars are lighter and have no sound deadening etc. and thus 200km/h feels frighteningly fast, while in these modern FPV/HSVx 200km/h is a comfortable cruising speed.

On two wheels on a sportsbike it feels like walking speed they are so composed and just starting to get into their element.

Then you jump in my 59 Dodge Flathead and wind it up to 55mph and my god it is extremely frightening, you can't really compare. 55mph in the Dodge is scarier than doing 200mph on a Hayabusa, or 120mph in an FPV.

There is no point in the comparisons.
Old 18-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #52
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
2:36.5 Allan Moffat 1972, in a Phase 3. 12 seconds faster than the previous years record.

http://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/eve.../2012-results/

If you have a look at last years results from the bathurst 12 hour it takes significantly more than a 6 cylinder falcon to eclipse that time.

I have both ends of the spectrum, a G6E turbo, and a 65 mustang built in September of 1964. I can tell you now the old car is much more exhilarating when you are up it, even though it only has 220rwhp from its' dinasour carb fed 302.
The track has also changed since then and been made slower.
Old 18-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #53
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
For sure old cars are lighter and have no sound deadening etc. and thus 200km/h feels frighteningly fast, while in these modern FPV/HSVx 200km/h is a comfortable cruising speed.

On two wheels on a sportsbike it feels like walking speed they are so composed and just starting to get into their element.

Then you jump in my 59 Dodge Flathead and wind it up to 55mph and my god it is extremely frightening, you can't really compare. 55mph in the Dodge is scarier than doing 200mph on a Hayabusa, or 120mph in an FPV.

There is no point in the comparisons.

There is a point in the comparisons though, because driving is about enjoyment. I enjoy driving the older one much more.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #54
mcnews
Trev

I do too at slow speeds enjoy driving the old stuff more, as the low mechanical grip levels and heightened sensation of speed makes it easier to have relatively safe sideways fun.

It takes much more commitment and skill to do it in the latest stuff as the limits are so much higher.

This is part of the reason why I don't like the 4wd sports cars like WRX etc., you have to be so far in the zone of get it wrong and you will be off a cliff backwards before they actually start to move around and become fun, and that is a level that no sane person wants to be at on the road really.

So I understand you to a point, but the old stuff is only more enjoyable because it feels faster, but there is no getting away from the fact that it is because they are just so completely crap compared to modern stuff. But that is also why we love them.