Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #31
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Maybe more people should use cruise control.
Seems so obvious doesn't it....

Old 06-01-2010, 09:17 PM   #32
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
I love power i can't use. I love power i can't control even more, a little self restraint is all that's required.
OH so true!!!!

I think its always been the way ..... have the bigger family cars and as things go on in life, people scale down and one day you wake up and theres a Corolla in the drive way.

Commodore is still Australia's largest selling car (family) while Corolla is next (Young, skips a generation then old). Falcon and all the SUV's are still in the top of the tree and will be for some time. To buy something smaller because of speed cameras is false economy (right foot). Many other reasons to buy a buzz box before this one (economy).

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #33
Low Orbit
Audio Nutter

Gidday folks,

all this talk of smaller cars makes my toes want to curl. Yes, I like the likes of the Focus / Mondeo etc and may consider them one day, but when I step into the office (EFII Fairmont) for whatever trip I take, be it long short or otherwise I almost always break into a little grin. The old girl is comfortable, quiet and roomy - yes I know the likes of the Camry are almost the same size - but when I had a loaner a while back (and it was a well maintained one) I wanted mine back after about a day.

Although the smaller cars have the same cabin space, to me at least they just don't feel as planted on the road - and you certainly don't get the respect from other road users driving them.

As for the oh dear poor me I'll lose my licence in this big car - what rubbish. You can lose that in anything that can exceed the posted limit. Remember - your right foot - and cruise control (or at the very least, set the overspeed warning) are your friends on the open road.

I had far more tickets in 4 cyl cars than I ever have had in 6's.

Cheers.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:04 PM   #34
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I believe people see cars as "appliances" more and more everyday. Like a toaster, or a washing machine. A means of completing a task. And our "bubble wrap" road rules are accelerating this perception. Going are the days of having a car as a form of pleasure or hobby. And from what I am told, you are a bogan if you do. If thats the case, strewth wheres me flanny and stubbies?
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #35
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
I believe people see cars as "appliances" more and more everyday. Like a toaster, or a washing machine. A means of completing a task. And our "bubble wrap" road rules are accelerating this perception. Going are the days of having a car as a form of pleasure or hobby. And from what I am told, you are a bogan if you do. If thats the case, strewth wheres me flanny and stubbies?
peel the scab off a tinny while ya up changin the AC/DC cd too
Old 06-01-2010, 10:28 PM   #36
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90_S
but does it really matter what car what engine size as everyone knows the right foot controls the power. you can lose your points/liecence in any car!
You would think so but there is one thing you forget:

Willpower is no match for horsepower.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 11:28 PM   #37
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Orbit
I had far more tickets in 4 cyl cars than I ever have had in 6's.
Oh so true. I've owned sixes for twice as long as fours, done 4 times the amount of kays and only ever had the smallest speeding fine possible in the six.

I find the larger the motor, the slower I go. I have nothing to prove in a big six or an eight, but in a four you almost need to prove you still have a pair. Also in a four you get so used to needing to rev the friggin rings off the thing every turn that a foot flat to the floor always policy almost becomes necessary.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #38
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

I feel safer in a larger car, I can get more comfortable in a larger car, I am 5'11" and 110kg/17.3 stone and smaller cars make me feel claustraphobic.

Driven trucks for over 20 years and I like the way big 6's and V8's cruise like big diesels, 1800rpm @ 100 not screaming it's head off like some 4 cyls.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:57 PM   #39
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Its easier to park a Mazda 3 than a Falcon.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 12:10 AM   #40
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
Its easier to park a Mazda 3 than a Falcon.
I have never had a problem parking my BA in almost 2 years of ownership. I suppose a mazda 3 would be "easier" but the falcon is my car, I know it inside out and it's like breathing, that's how easy it is for me to park it.
Get to know a car long enough(not saying you don't) and you can get it to do "almost" anything for you...almost...
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 12:12 AM   #41
Xr8uteRay
lolhsv

well, the way i see it for me personally...I love the look of the falcon ute, i need the ute, and i need the v8, for the area of work i am in and the v8 love is in my blood and couldn't see me owning anything less. I feel safer in a bigger car, and the way i see it, if i hit something head on in a 4cyl, i'd rather not have that engine sitting on my lap. I'm not saying the bigger cars are invincible at all, but i'd prefer to be in my xr8 than a prius. Not only that, I couldn't bring myself to spend money on a car that doesn't look good, doesn't perform and definatley not practical for work. I laugh at the idea of a mazda 3 trying to tow a full work trailer
Xr8uteRay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 12:32 AM   #42
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe a combination of things such as the different types of leasing available, not too long ago you could choose any company car as long as it was aussie built.

Nowadays its anything you want. Even the government has gone from buying 80% local to this year 20%, surely that has hurt every local maker.
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 01:49 AM   #43
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Today marked a milestone in my family. My father traded in his silver BF Futura on a charcoal Mazda 3 Maxx Sport.

Its a milestone for a few reasons:
Its his first 4 cylinder
Its his first front wheel drive
Its his first imported car.

He has bought Australian-made Falcons and Chryslers for 40 years. These cars took me and my siblings on some of the best road trips into the heart of Australia that I will remember for the rest of my life.

In his daily life he drives from Adelaide to a farm he owns outside Port Augusta every fortnight to check up on the harvest or production - he has been doing this for a couple of decades. Its a 700km round trip which takes him into the heart of the Flinders Ranges, his Aussie Fords were perfect for this trip - big, lazy, rugged, powerful, safe and comfortable. He loved the drive.

On those long roads he used to average about 130kmh, heck when I was a kid he would sit on about 140kmh on some of the long straight sections on the unrestricted speed limit sections. Things started to change, the roads started getting a lot better and the 110kmh limit was introduced - no biggie as the people still drove at speeds comfortable to the conditions so sitting on 130 was the norm. But in the last decade the police started to crack down on speed, mobile cameras were set up in some locations and penalties starting to get harsher. It really hit home two years ago when my father got pulled over for doing 126kmh after just overtaking a semi trailer. He couldnt believe that he could get booked for safely overtaking a truck. Now talk of point-to-point speed cameras was the final straw.

He now does the trip sitting on the 110kmh speed limit. He has two points left on his license, yet hasnt had an accident since the early 70s (over 35 years ago when he reversed his two month old Falcon into a concrete letter box). He hates the drive now, its frustrating, its slow and he feels like a rat trapped in a cage as he sees the long straight road ahead. He hated having a 4 litre 6 cylinder engine under his right foot and having to slowly trundle along - kind of like dangling a cheeseburger in front of starving man.

So maybe falling 6 cylinder car sales arnt due to fuel prices, but maybe its due to the changing road speeds. When I was helping my brother shop for a car last year, I suggested an XR6 turbo - his first response wasnt about the price or fuel or insurance , instead he replied ' I cant get one, I would lose my licence too quick'. He bought a Golf.

Who needs a 200kw 6 cylinder, when a little 4 cylinder does the same job on those heavily speed enforced roads.

Looking at the Mazda 3 sitting in the driveway, in the same place which has housed the most outstanding Australian Fords, I am sad for my dad, sad for the local industry, and in the end, sad for myself - as I know the old days are over.
Done enough long trips in 4cyl Jap cars to make me stay in Falcons. Cruise is there to keep me in the good books.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:01 AM   #44
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
He just didnt see the point in having the power there he cant use. He finds the 600km trek at 110kmh very tiring, he felt a 4 cyinder car at those speeds would feel faster and keep him awake and make the drive less frustrating. He may be wrong but I understand his logic.

he is right, my dads transit revs at 3500rpm or something silly like that in 5th doing 100kph and it feels like were going a hell of a lot faster than i feel driving the AU

i also agree with others here, that was an excellent write-up and honestly it is true.
imagine the market if more women chose to drive falcons! small car parks and park spacing is a huge factor, how many women say "i want a small car, ill never be able to park a falcon"? how many men do you hear saying things like "i wanted the falcon/commodore but the missus has got to drive it so we ended up with *insert small-mid size car name*"
i know im stereotyping and i know a lot of girls do drive large cars but it does hold true, especially for p platers are older women, they want something that gets them from A to B with minimum hassle where they dont have to resort to touch parking

the best car for a 'politically' road safe driver (read; no 'hooning' or speeding) these days is a v8 with a sweet sounding exhaust, theres no need to go fast or even accelerate hard when you can just sit there all day and listen to the purr of the machine and with the extra low rpm torque you dont have to rev it to high road speeds to get that satisfying pull of power within the speed limit
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 08:27 AM   #45
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
To suggest VW Golf is any different in regards to ability to drive fast on the open road is streching the truth a bit. Most euro cars will comfortably cruise at much higher speeds than Falcons and Commodores as they were designed from the onset for that kind of work.
You can drive any car at 140km/h and lose all your points very quickly, it has little to do with 4,5,6,or 8 cyl engine configuration.
Hell yeah, We had a wee spannish thing, was a cheapas chips hire car and we poked it along at 140 Klm with two of us and luggage no worries.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:32 AM   #46
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default I traded

I sold my GT and purchased a Nissan Navara 4X4 six speed manual turbo desiel and wow, I am suprised at its performance. I had to do it for reasons I needed a horse I could work with as well as have some fun. So its off road fun for me and I can still get booked and lose my licence and its real compfy too!
I will say that the japs know how to build cars especially the 4x4 range.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:54 AM   #47
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Modern 4 cyl cars with multi valve tech and modern transmissions makes them a far better option than they where 20 years ago..
Beside there durability is 1000 % better now also..
The only drawback with a smaller car is it's not capable of towing heavy trailers etc...

Slightly off topic.. I get sick of hearing people complain about how they are passed by other drivers... It seems they are having an anxiety attack and wish they could do the same.. In most / some cases the passing car is hardly going over the speed limit !!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 08:55 AM   #48
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Not at 5000k's per year.... besides, the other option the turbo terri @20l/100k makes it look like a Prius..
I know some friends that sold their CX9 because it drank similar to a Territory. Likewise some friends had a Subaru Forrester Turbo thingy they have traded for an SS Sportswagon and reckon the Commodore gets about 25% better economy. Not all the smaller engined cars are all that economical.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:16 AM   #49
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
I know some friends that sold their CX9 because it drank similar to a Territory. Likewise some friends had a Subaru Forrester Turbo thingy they have traded for an SS Sportswagon and reckon the Commodore gets about 25% better economy. Not all the smaller engined cars are all that economical.
Its the nut behind the wheel also !!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #50
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Today marked a milestone in my family. My father traded in his silver BF Futura on a charcoal Mazda 3 Maxx Sport.

Its a milestone for a few reasons:
Its his first 4 cylinder
Its his first front wheel drive
Its his first imported car.

He has bought Australian-made Falcons and Chryslers for 40 years. These cars took me and my siblings on some of the best road trips into the heart of Australia that I will remember for the rest of my life.

In his daily life he drives from Adelaide to a farm he owns outside Port Augusta every fortnight to check up on the harvest or production - he has been doing this for a couple of decades. Its a 700km round trip which takes him into the heart of the Flinders Ranges, his Aussie Fords were perfect for this trip - big, lazy, rugged, powerful, safe and comfortable. He loved the drive.

On those long roads he used to average about 130kmh, heck when I was a kid he would sit on about 140kmh on some of the long straight sections on the unrestricted speed limit sections. Things started to change, the roads started getting a lot better and the 110kmh limit was introduced - no biggie as the people still drove at speeds comfortable to the conditions so sitting on 130 was the norm. But in the last decade the police started to crack down on speed, mobile cameras were set up in some locations and penalties starting to get harsher. It really hit home two years ago when my father got pulled over for doing 126kmh after just overtaking a semi trailer. He couldnt believe that he could get booked for safely overtaking a truck. Now talk of point-to-point speed cameras was the final straw.

He now does the trip sitting on the 110kmh speed limit. He has two points left on his license, yet hasnt had an accident since the early 70s (over 35 years ago when he reversed his two month old Falcon into a concrete letter box). He hates the drive now, its frustrating, its slow and he feels like a rat trapped in a cage as he sees the long straight road ahead. He hated having a 4 litre 6 cylinder engine under his right foot and having to slowly trundle along - kind of like dangling a cheeseburger in front of starving man.

So maybe falling 6 cylinder car sales arnt due to fuel prices, but maybe its due to the changing road speeds. When I was helping my brother shop for a car last year, I suggested an XR6 turbo - his first response wasnt about the price or fuel or insurance , instead he replied ' I cant get one, I would lose my licence too quick'. He bought a Golf.

Who needs a 200kw 6 cylinder, when a little 4 cylinder does the same job on those heavily speed enforced roads.

Looking at the Mazda 3 sitting in the driveway, in the same place which has housed the most outstanding Australian Fords, I am sad for my dad, sad for the local industry, and in the end, sad for myself - as I know the old days are over.
Thats extremley well written Brazen - you should consider a journalism job - it wouldn't look out of place in the back of MOTOR or WHEELS.

Having said that I don't agree with your dads logic - I can't imagine how uncomfortable a Mazda 3 would be on a 700km round outback trip, this is where the Falcon comes into its own, happily loping along at 2000rpm, an N/A 6 is hardly a drag car, yep its powerful but it still weighs a fair bit and can easily be contained to the speed limit. How is he going to overtake road trains in the 4cyl?

Turbo or V8 different story, I have often thought of selling my XR6T as I simply do not/cannot use even 50% of the power on our roads. I'd be much better off in a small 4cyl for the A to B commute, i just can't bring myself to do it yet.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #51
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
To suggest VW Golf is any different in regards to ability to drive fast on the open road is streching the truth a bit. Most euro cars will comfortably cruise at much higher speeds than Falcons and Commodores as they were designed from the onset for that kind of work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont
Damn right there. I currently have a golf diesel and love it. It will do 170 and it feels like 80. The overtaking performance is just as good as a Commmodore or Falcon and with 320 Nm from 1750 rpm - 4000 rpm I don't have to rev the bum out of it to do it.
Spot on! You see nearly everything made in Europe (including Renaults & Citroens etc) easily sustaining 150 kms along the Autobahn in Germany and although it is illegal, you see many exotic cars up around 80-90 mph along the M20 through Kent in the UK as well. All it takes is good infrastructure and common sense from the other motorists to not sit in fast lanes like they own them. It is amazing how well this actually works! I have heard that the UK speed laws are just as tough but they still do it.
Quote:
1. Small cars are near the HR/EH size now. Most families have enough room with a car of a 2600mm wheelbase. This is similar to the VB commodores, TP magna, EH and latest corolla.
I also agree with this. What we called big cars in the 60’s and 70’s are actually quite small compared to a Falcon and Commodore of today. I was admiring a clean VE VIP Chrysler sitting at the lights this morning when it dawned upon me that proportionally it looked quite small to the modern Camry a few cars away. I remember thinking that these Valiants were huge when I was a kid, of cause everything looks big when you’re a kid though. For comparison, look at the size of a Mazda 808 and compare it to a a Mazda 3 or a 120Y (yuk) to a Pulsar or even an HQ to a VE Commodore. I think all cars will gradually decline in size over the next 25 years. The Falcon could end up the size of a TE Cortina!
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #52
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
agreed 100%

i sold my 2.4litre hilux workmate to buy a V6 rodeo and the fuel economy is so much better, with these utes the gear ratios are the problem when it comes to economy, theyre geared to pull weight, when in reality most utes dont get loaded very heavy anymore
Old 07-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #53
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have a
Quote:
Subaru Forrester Turbo thingy
it has averaged 9.6 L/100km over 20,000 km

I'd love to see a SS Sportswagon do 25% better than that
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #54
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I only repeat what he said, he is averaging 10 in the SS and rarely got better than 13 in the Forrester. he whinged about the economy from the first moment he got it, he loved it otherwise.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #55
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I only repeat what he said, he is averaging 10 in the SS and rarely got better than 13 in the Forrester. he whinged about the economy from the first moment he got it, he loved it otherwise.
Average 10 in a SS, I'd have to see it to believe

As a comparison my BF XR8 (with CAI/Filter) averaged 11.3 over the same conditions as the Forester.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #56
mcnews
Trev

He reckons it does around 8 on the highway. Either way, he says it is HEAPS better on fuel than his Scooby Doo was.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #57
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
He reckons it does around 8 on the highway. Either way, he says it is HEAPS better on fuel than his Scooby Doo was.
Must have one of those fuel saving green badges
Old 07-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #58
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A friend's wife averaged 15l/100k in his SS wagon..... The CX7 will be somewhere between 11-12l/100k, My Last XR8 was 15l/100k, my Last non turbo terri about 14l/100k....

Old 07-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #59
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

1. Small cars are near the HR/EH size now. Most families have enough room with a car of a 2600mm wheelbase. This is similar to the VB commodores, TP magna, EH and latest corolla.
Great point... I think that "small" cars also offer a better use of interior space too, and these days it's not squashy in them at all... even a VW Polo or Fiesta has a reasonable amount of room for young couple with one young child.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #60
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
Great point... I think that "small" cars also offer a better use of interior space too, and these days it's not squashy in them at all... even a VW Polo or Fiesta has a reasonable amount of room for young couple with one young child.
As long as the child is over 6 or the parents are under 5'5"....
Ever tried getting a baby capsule behind the drivers or passenger seat of a small car with the correct safety distance to the seat and sat in one? My knees are on the dash in a Mazda 3 which is almost a medium sized car inside...