Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #31
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Stupid Medicare Levy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robos F6
You must have earnt over $80k, not bad for a 22 y/old. If you earn under $80k, you dont have to pay the surcharge.
And if you really don't like paying extra to the gov then you salary sacrafice the pants off your income to keep it under
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #32
RepSpec
Formerly XG-Panelvanman

havent you been watching the iselect ads on tv for the past month...if you earn over 80k and dont have insurance you will get slugged.
nice to be earing that type of money...but get health insurance.

like someone else here wrote, they didnt have it then they got cancer...happened to a best mate of mine...still wont consider it even though he is a high income earner like yourself.

peace of mind...get health insurance even if it is basic hospital cover

BA MK2 Wagon, dedicated LPG, white.

modifications:
cargo barriers, tow bar
RepSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #33
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been paying this levy for years and I have no problem with that (Im totally against private as this will lead to a US style system) I have a problem with why the so called rich (more like the workers who have gotten off their ***) have to pay more. I just want equality across the board.
And to the bleeding hearts, I remember being in my late teens and early twenties and amongst my mates some were workers who now are in a very good position, and there were the bludgers who are now finding it very hard. Should we have to subsidise their lifestyles?
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #34
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe move to the States, where you can die a peaceful death in the emergency ward if you are uninured.

Pay up and stop whinging and be greatful in the knowledge that if something happens to you or somone you love they will receive reasonable care for "nothing".
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #35
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Maybe move to the States, where you can die a peaceful death in the emergency ward if you are uninured.

Pay up and stop whinging and be greatful in the knowledge that if something happens to you or somone you love they will receive reasonable care for "nothing".
This were most people are wrong, its not "nothing" all working people pay a medicare levy. Earn over $80K and you are required to pay more. This funds the medical system. It is not free.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #36
jed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4D
so got my group cert today, and just went through the whole etax online thingo... and with the medicare levys (i have to pay both) i owe the tax department 800bucks!

so ****ed atm i didnt go to the doctors once, im a healthy 22 yr old who has no kids, claims nothing in terms of deductions, never received a cent fro centrelink or any form of government hand out... apart from Krudds stupid hand out.

anyone have an idea where i might have gone wrong?
good job young feller keep doin what ya doin, may i suggest chuck an extra $20 a week at the tax man and next year ya might well get enough back for a slab of bundy
jed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #37
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
This were most people are wrong, its not "nothing" all working people pay a medicare levy. Earn over $80K and you are required to pay more. This funds the medical system. It is not free.
Yes, hence the nothing is written in inverted commas.
Old 13-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #38
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

+1 for Salary Sacrifice. Pay a little more tax each week so at the end of the financial year, you will get more back and if you can afford it, dump a few more coins into your super fund. Not alot, just a little more. It all works in your favour.
Old 13-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #39
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

His Levy is more than $800.00, he pays an additional $800.00 on top of the $1200.00 base. The insurance system is set up to offset very close to the levy(funny that) the only benefits are really in the extras(some remedial treatments/glasses etc).
Then there is a dual income household earn over 150K before tax combined, and you both pay.
All the high horse riders on here, wake up and realise that some pay a levy and then a further 1% again. If you have the insurance, you dodge the levy but guess what, you still have to pay for medical attention. It is called the gap.
Oh and you get the privilage of paying full price for prescriptions etc as well as a tax bill.
It sure is nice to know that people are seen as a "gimme generation" for working hard and being sucessful. It is lazy people who think the world owes them a living and that others are"lucky" to be rewarded for hard work that make me sick.
We do like to perpetuate a welfare dependance in this country.
As for being 70 and crying about having to wait, well a levy was paid to support this so called free health care system on all income for the whole working life, you forgot that bit didn't you.
Before you come back with personal attacks, I have had Insurance for 15 years and it is strange that premiums increased dramatically 1 year after this extra levy was implemented.
No public raping of middle income earners there.
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #40
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

I did my tax online last week, I am getting just over $2.500 back
ha ha
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #41
outside
off in outer space

do want i do and pay extra tax during the year, that way you will get something back, as long as you pay more then $800.00 that is
Old 13-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #42
StrokedXT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed
good job young feller keep doin what ya doin, may i suggest chuck an extra $20 a week at the tax man and next year ya might well get enough back for a slab of bundy
Or Put that 20 in the bank and earn interest.

Just claim anything and everything, worst case you have to pay it back.
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #43
jed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedXT
Or Put that 20 in the bank and earn interest.

Just claim anything and everything, worst case you have to pay it back.
and still get a tax bill.......... cos you hafta declare the interest earned
jed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #44
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4D
the thing that has got me complaining is that yes im 22 i work 60hrs a week sometimes more running a supermarket, everything i have i have worked for im actively giving back to my community by helping organising over a tonne of food to local charities and families every week, and take time every day to talk to the elderly people who come to my store everyday and have often giving them things for cheaper as i know how hard some people that age have it. i have no problem giving to the people that need it.

as for the gimme generation. i got a job at 14 and since having that job my parents didnt buy me one thing that i simply wanted i bought it with my own money that i busted my guts for.

worked 40hrs a week while doing my HSC, i am where i am because i have worked for it, and i dont understand why i should have to pay even more when the government is going to **** my money up the wall
Mate I know how you feel, I am in my 40's now and like you used to work big hours from when I was 15, saved my cash and invested wisely in property, now in my 40's I live the good life, in a big house with nice cars enjoying life.

All of a sudden I have supposed mates telling me how I was just lucky, with some having jealous hissy fits at me being semi retired at 40 living in a 40 square home with 200k worth of cars in the four car garage.....stuff them and do what you do, it will be worth it if you are smart about it.....I did what you did and all the hard work payed off.

And I was never given a cent that I have not earned since I was 15 years old

>

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #45
84xespac
Wearing an armadillo hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE72
His Levy is more than $800.00, he pays an additional $800.00 on top of the $1200.00 base. The insurance system is set up to offset very close to the levy(funny that) the only benefits are really in the extras(some remedial treatments/glasses etc).
Then there is a dual income household earn over 150K before tax combined, and you both pay.
All the high horse riders on here, wake up and realise that some pay a levy and then a further 1% again. If you have the insurance, you dodge the levy but guess what, you still have to pay for medical attention. It is called the gap.
Oh and you get the privilage of paying full price for prescriptions etc as well as a tax bill.
It sure is nice to know that people are seen as a "gimme generation" for working hard and being sucessful. It is lazy people who think the world owes them a living and that others are"lucky" to be rewarded for hard work that make me sick.
We do like to perpetuate a welfare dependance in this country.
As for being 70 and crying about having to wait, well a levy was paid to support this so called free health care system on all income for the whole working life, you forgot that bit didn't you.
Before you come back with personal attacks, I have had Insurance for 15 years and it is strange that premiums increased dramatically 1 year after this extra levy was implemented.
No public raping of middle income earners there.
Could not have said it better myself Grant.

We just get non stopped screwed over in this country. Our private health premium is now around the $280 p/m figure from memory. So near 3.5k p/y. What do I get for this money?? about $200 off my $600 glasses.

As for the "gimmie generation" to all that say that you can go jump. My wife and I have always been higher earners. Everything we have we have worked our guts out for. While a lot of my mates were working 40hr weeks and partying just as many we were working 100+hr weeks and paying massive amounts in taxes for the privilage.
84xespac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #46
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Prostate using a digit up the bum is old school - new (indicative) way is blood test. If that result comes back "dodgy" then finger up the rear may still be needed.
Hang on, my doctor was waving his hands in front of my face saying, "Can you feel my finger?"

Noooooooooooo
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #47
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy
Hang on, my doctor was waving his hands in front of my face saying, "Can you feel my finger?"

Noooooooooooo
"look no hands"

I think a few have hit this nail on the head. You can't have your cake and eat it too. It sucks paying tax and levy's (believe me company tax is worse and is a killer) but its there to help the Aussies who need it most in the health care system. It's much worse d in the U.S.

I personally would rather think outside the square and invest all the hard earned onto things that will benefit me in the long run etc. Property etc.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #48
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like this little parable to explain our tax system. Unfortunately there are many on here who hate those who work harder/earn more than they do. As exemplified in the Luxury Car Tax thread....

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to $100...

If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this...

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
The fifth would pay $1.
The sixth would pay $3.
The seventh would pay $7..
The eighth would pay $12.
The ninth would pay $18.
The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.

So, that's what they decided to do..

The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve ball. "Since you are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20". Drinks for the ten men would now cost just $80.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes. So the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free. But what about the other six men ? How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his fair share?

They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer.

So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by a higher percentage the poorer he was, to follow the principle of the tax system they had been using, and he proceeded to work out the amounts he suggested that each should now pay.

And so the fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% saving).
The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33% saving).
The seventh now paid $5 instead of $7 (28% saving).
The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% saving).
The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% saving).
The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% saving).

Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to drink for free. But, once outside the bar, the men began to compare their savings.

"I only got a dollar out of the $20 saving," declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man,"but he got $10!"

"Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a dollar too. It's unfair that he got ten times more benefit than me!"

"That's true!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get $10 back, when I got only $2? The wealthy get all the breaks!"

"Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison, "we didn't get anything at all. This new tax system exploits the poor!"

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.

The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had their beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!

And that, boys and girls, journalists and government ministers, is how our tax system works. The people who already pay the highest taxes will naturally get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas, where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

David R. Kamerschen, Ph.D.
Professor of Economics.

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #49
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84xespac
Could not have said it better myself Grant.

We just get non stopped screwed over in this country. Our private health premium is now around the $280 p/m figure from memory. So near 3.5k p/y. What do I get for this money?? about $200 off my $600 glasses.

As for the "gimmie generation" to all that say that you can go jump. My wife and I have always been higher earners. Everything we have we have worked our guts out for. While a lot of my mates were working 40hr weeks and partying just as many we were working 100+hr weeks and paying massive amounts in taxes for the privilage.
Honestly what are blokes on about? The medicare levy and health insurance is an Insurance. You may not need it now you may not need it ever. If so good on you and be grateful.

Do all you whingers not pay car insurance too? Income insurance? Life Insurance? House Insurance. This is no diffenent.

What I hate is the wingers who don't insure themselves, their property and when the ***** hits the fan depend on the system or hand outs to help them out. Be thankful there is a health system, it might one day save your life.
Old 13-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #50
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

removed.
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #51
gtfpv
GT

to the op . great question to ask here , the internet is a great thing , if you can ignore all the put downs and i know better than you you are stupid kind of replies .
my suggestion is to see a tax accountant next time , in the meantime join a health fund which the fee after the 30% govt rebate is similar to the extra 1% levey against your income , select a fund that will have benifits for you if you need to use it too , not just a price factor , dont forget knees and hips , you may be young but young people can still be out of work a long time with big bills if you have a fall and break your leg .
TAX accountants will always have you infront even if they dont they will never be behind , so why not help someone else out by employing one at no cost to you . and you wont have to worry about mistakes .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #52
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Honestly what are blokes on about? The medicare levy and health insurance is an Insurance. You may not need it now you may not need it ever. If so good on you and be grateful.

Do all you whingers not pay car insurance too? Income insurance? Life Insurance? House Insurance. This is no diffenent.

What I hate is the wingers who don't insure themselves, their property and when the ***** hits the fan depend on the system or hand outs to help them out. Be thankful there is a health system, it might one day save your life.
Do you have to pay more for car insurance than the next guy because you earn more?

I have no issue paying the medicare levy - what i do have an issue with is continually being seen by the government as a bottomless pit to pay for others who are often lazy, shortsighted or bludgers.

I dont receive any of these special handounts, I do have private Health insurance, I have to pay a flood tax (no more charity from me until that is gone - extra $750 bucks a year tax)

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #53
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
I did my tax online last week, I am getting just over $2.500 back
ha ha
$2.50, whoo hoo! Don't go spend it all at once, might be able to get yourself a can of coke from a vending machine!
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #54
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
at 22 you are earning enough to attract the extra levy you are too tight to pay insurance or an accountant and you whinge when you get the bill???? . When you are old you will be glad there are 22 year olds out there helping to pay for your health care costs that you refused to cover with insurance despite having the income to pay for it.
people like you make me sick you want it all and don't want to give any back. we are seeing the gimme generatin surging ahead with a vengance. when you're 70 and need surgery to save your life and have to wait because you have no insurance, you'll be screaming the loudest about how unfair the system is even though you are so un willing to contribute now.
there are a lot of families that would be happy to be in the position where they have to pay the extra levy so quit your whinging and pay up
Wake up to yourself! All high and bloody mighty. What the op earns at what age has nothing to do with you.
I thought public health was for everyone, thats what part of our taxes pay for and you have the hide to say people like him make you sick for not getting private health because the op can afford it, are you for real? I don't have private health i already pay my taxes, public health is fine with me and the medicare levy doesn't worry me its the same a tax and fuel and a roof over your head it has to be paid so their's no point whinging about it.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #55
StrokedXT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked
Do you have to pay more for car insurance than the next guy because you earn more?
Yeah you do actually, pricing looks at demographics and incomes for areas for car and home insurance etc, as well as the risk factors.
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #56
BA Baracus
xls

Consider private health insurance even if you are pretty fit and healthy normally, one day you might see the worth. I rarely went to the doctor for anything like you so didn't bother with private cover, then one night a disc in my back exploded so off to public hospital the ambo took me. Public system deemed the surgery required to get me back on my feet as elective, spent close on six months in bed in insane pain, way too many drugs and couldn't even walk to the toilet to take a wizz. Waiting list for surgery was at 4 and a half years. For 5 of those 6 months I had no income. That loss of income by not being able to work would of covered private insurance premiums probably for the rest of my life. With private cover would of been on the mend in around 2 months, to go privately though with out insurance cover was an option I couldn't take with an out of pocket cost of around $28,000.
BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #57
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
at 22 you are earning enough to attract the extra levy you are too tight to pay insurance or an accountant and you whinge when you get the bill???? . When you are old you will be glad there are 22 year olds out there helping to pay for your health care costs that you refused to cover with insurance despite having the income to pay for it.
people like you make me sick you want it all and don't want to give any back. we are seeing the gimme generatin surging ahead with a vengance. when you're 70 and need surgery to save your life and have to wait because you have no insurance, you'll be screaming the loudest about how unfair the system is even though you are so un willing to contribute now.
there are a lot of families that would be happy to be in the position where they have to pay the extra levy so quit your whinging and pay up
Ummmm coffee a bit strong tonight is it ??
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #58
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I earn only 40k and have 2 kids etc. I have a partner who earns less, I still find the money to pay the top possible health cover for my family. If you can earn enough to be charged the levy and have no kids to support etc, then enjoy all that extra money you have over others and suck up the levy or get private cover.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #59
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
I like this little parable to explain our tax system. Unfortunately there are many on here who hate those who work harder/earn more than they do. As exemplified in the Luxury Car Tax thread....

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to $100...

If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this...

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
The fifth would pay $1.
The sixth would pay $3.
The seventh would pay $7..
The eighth would pay $12.
The ninth would pay $18.
The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.

So, that's what they decided to do..

The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve ball. "Since you are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20". Drinks for the ten men would now cost just $80.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes. So the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free. But what about the other six men ? How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his fair share?

They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer.

So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by a higher percentage the poorer he was, to follow the principle of the tax system they had been using, and he proceeded to work out the amounts he suggested that each should now pay.

And so the fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% saving).
The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33% saving).
The seventh now paid $5 instead of $7 (28% saving).
The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% saving).
The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% saving).
The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% saving).

Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to drink for free. But, once outside the bar, the men began to compare their savings.

"I only got a dollar out of the $20 saving," declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man,"but he got $10!"

"Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a dollar too. It's unfair that he got ten times more benefit than me!"

"That's true!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get $10 back, when I got only $2? The wealthy get all the breaks!"

"Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison, "we didn't get anything at all. This new tax system exploits the poor!"

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.

The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had their beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!

And that, boys and girls, journalists and government ministers, is how our tax system works. The people who already pay the highest taxes will naturally get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas, where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

David R. Kamerschen, Ph.D.
Professor of Economics.

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible
While it's a good laugh this is a hoax email that's been doing the rounds for years.

David R. Kamerschen, Ph.D. Professor of Economics, had nothing to do with it.

The top 1% of tax payers do not pay anything like 59% of personal tax.

Oh and I am happy paying the medicare levy.
Old 13-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #60
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm so you have to pay the levy on top of your income tax. I always thought they took that 1.5% out of your tax liability and put it towards the levy. Mine came to be about $860 this year. Learn something new everyday

I don't have to pay the surcharge though, don't earn anywhere near enough but imagine I will have to in the next few years. It is a rort (MLS not the levy)though and I understand why people are ****ed off at paying it.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post