Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-08-2009, 12:17 AM   #31
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i could see 8 close ratio`s being more usefull on the autobahns winding up to 160 kph cruising speed, but in snailsville Australia where our speed limits are majority 100/110 kph it seems fairly pointless and with our torquey engines even more pointless, might be good for the super tourer`s though.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2009, 12:44 PM   #32
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i could see 8 close ratio`s being more usefull on the autobahns winding up to 160 kph cruising speed, but in snailsville Australia where our speed limits are majority 100/110 kph it seems fairly pointless and with our torquey engines even more pointless, might be good for the super tourer`s though.
Not necessarily. Even retaining the same first and top gear ratio, allows gear 2 through to 7th to be closer, which will improve performance.

I've heard a few motoring journos say the gap between 2nd and 3rd in the ZF 6 is a bit too high.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2009, 01:20 PM   #33
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumXR
More to the point: Is there REALLY a need for an 8 speed automatic in a car?
Sure is, behind a diesel engine. Would make for an excellent transmsission behind any euro spec turbo diesel engine.
Old 15-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #34
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Not necessarily. Even retaining the same first and top gear ratio, allows gear 2 through to 7th to be closer, which will improve performance.

I've heard a few motoring journos say the gap between 2nd and 3rd in the ZF 6 is a bit too high.
I'd rather a taller top gear, shorter diff = better performance and better highway economy.

I've put a 3.45 behind my ZF (factory is a 2.73), around town economy has remain about the same, but highway economy got worse. overall performance has of course increased. But with an extra gear or two overdrive would be great.

I can't say I've any complaints about the spacing of 2nd and 3rd. (that's probably due to the shorter diff).

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #35
500SEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
You could have a hundred gears, but would there be any benefit for your engine to rev 90+ times to get to cruising speed and having your tranny do non-stop shifting? I am not against more gears, but just don't do it for the sake making it a selling point. Or put it this way, don't assume that just because one transmission has 8 gears and another has 6, does not necessarily mean the 8 is smoother, or has better performance or has better reliability or fuel economy or better towing performance. But which ever one achivies that criteria regardless of how many gears it has. Then give me that one.
More gears will return better fuel economy and acceleration. That's a no-brainer.
500SEC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #36
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500SEC
More gears will return better fuel economy and acceleration. That's a no-brainer.
Depends on the gearing, programming, torque convertor, how much efficiency is lost through the transmission... just to name a few other things.
I agree with the DSG comments. It is going to make a much bigger difference than just adding a couple of gears to a standard auto.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #37
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Ill stick with my 5200 converter and c4 3 speed with manual valve body thanks.
VioletGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2009, 09:19 PM   #38
Ross-b
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrox90
I also hate autos but ZF have it down to a finer art than most and they accelerate faster than manuals.

8 gears well its an auto so it picks the gear seemlessly. and i guess with 8 your always in the "right" gear.

more rev manage management meaning your always cruising at 1500-2000 rpm. ZF report 30% fuel saving and unlike L per 100kms manufactuer ratings ZF are usually on the money and truthful

although there are alot of gears to chase

Recent Car
Ross-b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2009, 09:37 PM   #39
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did anyone 35 years ago think 4 speeds were overrated?
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2009, 10:54 PM   #40
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Had a 66 327 Chev Impala with a 2 speed auto, more than enough.... : as said before, 8 is just a load of w**k....

Pretty soon we will have 15 forward and 10 reverse, maybe them truckies are onto something eh.... :

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2009, 11:39 PM   #41
500SEC

Even when I was pre-driving age, I thought three speed manuals and autos (not to mention 2 speed autos) were a pretty strange way to gear a car. Even in those days, I wondered why make an engine rev its guts out, for highway cruising, with only three gears? Four speed autos went some way to curing the problem, but still felt compromised.

I remember travelling long distance in a manual HQ Kingswood. It felt like it was about to explode at only 80kph. Horrible.

The gearing in my BFII ute (4 speed auto) also feels highly compromised, in so far as its geared very highly for the freeway, yet each gear is spaced very widely apart. As a result, there's a lot of slippage which doesn't feel nice and equals inefficiency. Give me six speeds any day!
Old 15-08-2009, 11:51 PM   #42
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Got me thinking about gears. How about a 2 speed diff gear! 3.23 and 4.11 !!! Awesomeness!
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2009, 09:24 AM   #43
500SEC

That's what Mitsubish had on the original Colt in the 1980s. A 4 speed gearbox tied to a 2 speed diff.
Old 16-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #44
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just remember they had 9sp boxes in road trains 18years ago and those trucks still hold their own against the current models with 21sp boxes fuel and performance wise, its not about how many gears it has, its how it all works together, personally those CVT boxes are dirt too may as well have a dirty old C4 coz at least you know its gunna work properly
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #45
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The 8 speed ZF is way to expensive for Ford anyway. The current 6 speed is a pretty expensive thing now even being based on a design from early in the decade, this 8 speed being brand new will probably be twice as expensive.

When the technology becomes cheap enough in the next 5-6 years maybe Ford will look at it then, but its not going to happen anytime soon. The ZF 6 speed didn't become cost effective to use until what, maybe 5 years after it was first made?
Old 16-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #46
HSE2

Pretty sure the 8 speed is cheaper, smaller and lighter. In having said that, it’s only cheaper based on volume which we supposedly qualified for due to the PAG relationship. That no longer applies.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2009, 03:14 PM   #47
Brendo_GSUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

CVT would be the smarter option you'd think over 8 gears

Any one know why it hasnt taken off? I think SAAB did it back in 08...
Brendo_GSUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #48
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Pretty sure the 8 speed is cheaper, smaller and lighter. In having said that, it’s only cheaper based on volume which we supposedly qualified for due to the PAG relationship. That no longer applies.
Can't see how it would be cheaper, its brand new and only been used in one car so far. Development costs haven't even been started to be re couped yet.
Old 16-08-2009, 04:04 PM   #49
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendo_BAXR8

It seemed like a good idea in theory, but I don't think it works that well in the real world. I haven't heard any development for CVT in cars for a long time. Works alright on a Can-Am ATV though.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #50
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Can't see how it would be cheaper, its brand new and only been used in one car so far. Development costs haven't even been started to be re couped yet.

The ZF 6HP26 was lighter and cheaper then the 5 HP longitudinal that it replaced keeping in mind that the cost is representative of the high end market it was designed for.

The ZF 8 HP drops the Lepelletier gear set to be lighter more efficient and cheaper again. As ZF is a component supplier to the general industry, each generation of product advancement has to be better, lighter and cheaper if ZF is to continue to be a successful supplier in the face of stiffer competition.

Efficiency improvements of 5% or greater as well as increased torque limits are due to largely a reduction in open gear sets leading to considerably lower drag losses. In addition to the improved efficiency, this transmission concept features a higher total ratio spread from four planetary gear sets.
Without the group buy approach from Ford of the PAG generation the cost for putting such a box in a Falcon should be prohibitive for the foreseeable future.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #51
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendo_BAXR8

They still haven't got a CVT that can take more torque than a n/a 4 banger can produce.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2009, 01:47 AM   #52
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine
They still haven't got a CVT that can take more torque than a n/a 4 banger can produce.
Yes but once someone gets that down to pat the Auto tranny world will be completely different. Some F1 team did it years ago (it was outruled because it was too awesome) so we know its possible. All someone needs to do is make it affordable and it will take off.

So no, we do not need 8 gears in a car. Just a good CVT.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2009, 09:08 AM   #53
ltd
Force Fed Fords

What I'd love to know is how it performs against say, the ZF 6 speed box ie, shift times and the two extra gears, how that translates to acceleration.

Quote: