Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-12-2014, 02:03 PM   #31
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Re: Truck carrying excavator hits Hay st overpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Yes it pays to know your bridge heights,
but it is a lot easier to get caught out than one might think, especially if you swap trucks and trailer equipment around, and truck turn table heights vary, also road crews can resurface and put an inch or two down ......... "that's funny I went under there with the same load yesterday, bang'.

That's funny I went under there with a 25 ton box and had 2 inches to spare, today goes under with an mt container .... bang.
Understandable but I think drivers need to be more accountable for this.
Not only have they caused damage (cost) but they have inconvenienced people for hours because of what can only be described as negligence.
Old 19-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #32
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Understandable but I think drivers need to be more accountable for this.
Not only have they caused damage (cost) but they have inconvenienced people for hours because of what can only be described as negligence.
No argument from me there, and i dont know the circumstances of this fellows bridge hit and hes screwed the pooch, but , i think we are all capable of having a an oh **** moment where we have made a severe blunder that may have been caused by a simple error of judgement or lapse of memory,
if you expect every truck driver to never ever ever make a fopar, i think that is a big ask.
The powers that be know where the danger areas are, and could reduce the possibility of road chaos by simply making bridge heights uniform and at a safe height, so they must share some of the responsibility.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-12-2014, 03:34 PM   #33
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

If memory serves me correctly there are no "MAX HEIGHT" signs on any of these overpasses.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #34
STINKY NINJA
Banned

The silly thing is,he could have just layed the boom out in front of the digger.... there was plenty of room on the trailer to do so.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2014, 10:29 PM   #35
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
If memory serves me correctly there are no "MAX HEIGHT" signs on any of these overpasses.
If they are higher than the max legal vehicle height, they often wont.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2014, 11:24 PM   #36
tlub

you can buy tape measures at bunnings or even coles these days, no excuses not to know the height of the machines you cart . heavy haulage rule #1 is it in gauge as t my permit and designated route.
tlub is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post