Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2018, 01:58 PM   #1
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Late Model Daily Driven SUV's

Hi all. Wondering who here owns/drives a late model midsize SUV (Forester, CX-5, Tiguan, Tucson, Sportage etc...), and what are your thoughts on it? Pro's, Con's? Interior gadgets, comfort, performance etc...?

My wife and I purchased our first SUV, a 2016 Subaru Forester XT Premium early last year. Great car, however there are a few things with it that I find irritating. It's still got low KMS, so we are thinking of trading for something else now that we have owned an SUV and think we know what we are looking for.

I'll start with the con's:

- The front seats are "shallow", and the base cushion doesn't extend as far as it should. Becomes uncomfortable after long drives. I'm always adjusting it, never 100% comfortable. Around town it is fine, hence why I didn't notice in the test drive. The seats don't really hug you either.

- No USB or Air Con vents in the rear. WTF?

- Road noise is intrusive on rougher tarmac surfaces.

- Audio/Media interface is sometimes laggy, could definitely be improved upon.

- No blind spot monitoring, despite it being the highest class of Forester.

- CVT Transmission can be laggy.

- Car is really "urgy" or "lungy" at low car park speed.

Pro's:

- Performance is great, 2.0 petrol boxer from the WRX.

- Vision is great.

- Steering and suspension is AMAZING. Really love the way it drives.

- Interior looks classy, everything is laid out relatively well. Very roomy.

- Car looks great.

So, I have been looking at other options. Mostly been eyeing off the VW Tiguan 162TSI Highline R-Line. It's a good $8k more than the Forester if you option it up. Most of the "options" should have been standard inclusions really, as some other brands offer similar things in their premium models that aren't options.

A car that seems to get a lot of attention and great reviews is the Mazda CX-5, but it is hands down one of the ugliest SUV's I have ever seen. Looks plain as hell even in the premium model, and looks cheap and nasty. Really ugly car, I don't think I could be seen driving one.

So, what do you guys own, what are your thoughts?

Also, do premium models tend to hold their value and be sought after more than a standard model? Am I better off paying the couple grand extra for a premium model in the long run for resale?
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler