Old 28-06-2006, 02:17 PM   #31
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
Ok so its NO to ANY mechanical gauges inside the cabin

That means FUEL and Oil and Water ????

Is this correct - PLEASE ADVISE
As far as I know, just oil and fuel due to the hazzard if they were to leak.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 02:38 PM   #32
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
As far as I know, just oil and fuel due to the hazzard if they were to leak.
Yep I sure as hell wouldn't want fuel and oil to go all over me or my car. If theres enough pressure for it to burst you can be pretty sure its going to spray everywhere. I think the best option is some sort of data monitor such as the ECUTEK Delta Dash Monitior, well that's what I would do.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 02:40 PM   #33
Tony xa
Streetrides panel & paint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Tonys qualified advice on paint and panel is always very good 

I have mec fuel and oil pressure gauges outside the car as I always thought mechinical gauges leading directley inside without the saftey switch was illegal.I have inside the car 5 inch tacho and 5 inch electric speedo and a electric water temp gauges .I love the way they look inside and outside the car . I have the gauges I have because I don't trust factory (XA) guages and would hate to lose the engine because I didn't know what was going on .
Having guages outside looks fine and in my mind not rice at all if anything inside is more of a rice thing as here in WA they all have them on their pillar pods .
If you like them and you do your homework for legal terms do what you want as you will find no matter what you do 1/2 the people will not agree anyway .

Ps Its not what you do that is the problem its how its done .Done right both will look good .
Tony xa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 02:41 PM   #34
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always thought the point of mechanical guages like oil and fuel pressure was so that they go on the outside of the car for safety. You can buy electrical ones that go inside the car and do the same job, they are more expensive though.
I have bought a stack of electronic gauges for the torana, they will all stay inside the car though.

I like the look of guages on a tough street car but the theft/defect risk is too much. They have to be much harder to see as well.
Old 28-06-2006, 02:44 PM   #35
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

I have all my gauges on the inside of both my vehicles both mech and elec ones and have never had a problem and have never had anyone say that they shouldnt be there. If you use the proper braided lines and do things properly you shouldnt have any problems with them.
agony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 03:23 PM   #36
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive actually never even heard of anyone defected for running mech guages in their cars,
must be a Vic thing.or NSW
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 03:28 PM   #37
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im There is a warning not to mount mechanical guages inside the cabin with my autometer guages. I cant imagine a cop picking you up on it though.
Old 29-06-2006, 12:35 AM   #38
SileNceR
02/90 EA II Fairmont

main reason is mechanical guages bring the fluids etc into the cabin right?

oil etc could be bad if something goes wrong...
Old 29-06-2006, 12:37 AM   #39
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

To make matters worse im also running a trans pressure gauge in the dash and it reads up to 300psi now that could get nasty.
Old 30-06-2006, 09:17 PM   #40
xytoolbox
Starter Motor

Put them on the outside if you wish,just remember on a recent poll 78% of people responded to this same question by saying that external gauges represented a immature,egotistical,extroverted driver who generally had smallish external body parts.So if this is you please feel free to advertise this fact.
xytoolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 09:20 PM   #41
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm pretty sure it's on the Vicroads website they prefer mech gauges on the outside but they do allow them on the inside if need be. Hence no issues for r/w.

On topic : No chrome cups allowed on the outside. Reflection off them makes it illegal.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 09:20 PM   #42
FPV_Boy
PRO

yeh they look good, worth the risk..
FPV_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #43
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VSI 8 page 6 RE : Bonnet gauges ;)

here you go -> http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/rdsafe/VSI%208.pdf

Old 01-07-2006, 02:49 PM   #44
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by xytoolbox
Put them on the outside if you wish,just remember on a recent poll 78% of people responded to this same question by saying that external gauges represented a immature,egotistical,extroverted driver who generally had smallish external body parts.So if this is you please feel free to advertise this fact.
thats a bit harsh dont ya think?

anyways, i was asking for opinions and thats ok, but your saying because i have bonnet guages that i have a small dick, whos the immature one now?

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 02:52 PM   #45
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Quote:
I think you are talking from experience here mate, so if you have a small dick and nothing better to say maybe you should keep your comments to yourself.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:00 PM   #46
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
I'm pretty sure it's on the Vicroads website they prefer mech gauges on the outside but they do allow them on the inside if need be. Hence no issues for r/w.

On topic : No chrome cups allowed on the outside. Reflection off them makes it illegal.

Agreed i got a legit RWC with a mechanical oil gauge inside my cabin...
Old 01-07-2006, 05:07 PM   #47
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Agree with that too. I even had an engineer look at my car with all mech gauges inside and he never made any comments about them either. I would not run a fuel gauge inside my own car but a friend of mine had both avgas and nitrous fuel pressure gauges in his car mounted on the trans tunnel and he was only running the nylon tube and touch wood he never had any dramas.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:01 PM   #48
djjase
IT JUST GET'S BETTER

Those who have their guages on the outside must put wipers on them too. How do you see them when it is raining ? Defeats the purpose of having them. I love seeing 5" Tacho's on cars that are really going to blow up by reving them too much.
djjase is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2006, 08:43 AM   #49
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjase
Those who have their guages on the outside must put wipers on them too. How do you see them when it is raining ? Defeats the purpose of having them. I love seeing 5" Tacho's on cars that are really going to blow up by reving them too much.
The cowling on the gauge stop the rain getting anywhere near the gauge face. I had gauges infront of the windscreen for quite a few years. The current car I wanted them inside. Looks neater.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:30 PM   #50
xytoolbox
Starter Motor

Sorry ,but as I reported it was a real stat from a printed poll.I am not interested in the size of your body parts just giving you the heads up on public oppinion.Just ask yourself would your oldman put these on his classic and if not why?Only 22% agreed on external gauges,most of these were 25 or under and thought that the size of the stereo was also an important feature.(With the 351 open in 4 barrels who can hear the stereo,or a tacho buzzer for that matter)
Old 02-07-2006, 10:22 PM   #51
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Sorry ,but as I reported it was a real stat from a printed poll.I am not interested in the size of your body parts just giving you the heads up on public oppinion.Just ask yourself would your oldman put these on his classic and if not why?Only 22% agreed on external gauges,most of these were 25 or under and thought that the size of the stereo was also an important feature.(With the 351 open in 4 barrels who can hear the stereo,or a tacho buzzer for that matter)
Them 77 LTD engines must be real loud hey.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2006, 10:45 PM   #52
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Mines not bad. could always be louder but exhaust tip is along way from where I sit!

I have never heard the tacho 'buzzzz' before?

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 01:13 AM   #53
xytoolbox
Starter Motor

77 clevo out of a LTD makes a good base start.Original 4V given to KRIS HODGES AUTOMOTIVE,a set of US alloy heads,D&G EXHAUSTS race tuned extractors.dual stainless system with H pipe.Around $22K spent on project,with coil over front supension FPR, she handles like new.As my name suggests she is registered for work and all money spent is gladly claimed back as a tax deduction,thank you Johnny.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:17 PM   #54
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
77 clevo out of a LTD makes a good base start.Original 4v given to KRIS HODGES AUTOMOTIVE,a set of US alloy heads,D&G EXHAUSTS race tuned extractors.dual stainless system with H pipe.Around $22K spent on project,with coil over front supension FPR, she handles like new.As my name suggests she is registered for work and all money spent is gladly claimed back as a tax deduction,thank you Johnny.
Ummm, are you sure? no 4v engines were available after 73, and then only in manual GT's.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:22 PM   #55
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hehe everyone gets mixed up with early pre 73 4V big port and late model clevo 4V's with 4 venturi's

Old 03-07-2006, 06:00 PM   #56
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
hehe everyone gets mixed up with early pre 73 4V big port and late model clevo 2v's with 4 venturi's
fixed that for ya Brenx,4 barrel carb or not they're still a 2v head, just clever marketing with the "4v" designation
Old 03-07-2006, 06:03 PM   #57
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

late model ones are still called 4V by Ford but not users. We just call em 2V's ;)

Old 03-07-2006, 06:14 PM   #58
xytoolbox
Starter Motor

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Hey NUGGET,like I said I have just put the wagon through a full engineer report,including 3 Statonary noise Certificates.Over the 3 tests the wagon put out 95.75 decibels @3000 r.p.m.The LEGAL limit is 96 decibels@3000.So that means LEGALLY I only have 0.25 decibels to play with,and that was after trying 3 different mufflers as the first set produced 116.5 decibels @3000rpm.A friend in BLUE wants to know if yours is louder and if so where can he send the defect sticker.The reason I had to have 3 tests is that the duallies are more than 1 metre apart,requireing separate certificates,Then because of the closeness to the limit we did one more just to be sure,this was 48 hours later once again to see if there was any discrepancy in test equipment.And whats all the fuss about the heads that were thrown out,as I said KRIS HODGES AUTOMOTIVE rebuilt with US ALLOY HEADS.With the noise tests,I still have the original reports if you still need confimation.This XY wagon is a daily driver not for reeling off sub12s,if I wanted to do that I always have my GSXR1100R to cut loose on but that is another story.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:24 PM   #59
nugget378
Weezland

Relax mate,just a light hearted jibe at something you wrote in another post,Im sure the wagon is great,get some pics up.
As for defects, my car is pretty quiet actually,till it hits about 5000rpm, It's the fuel cell thats my biggest problem,and I have been done for it previously, but all the constables in Australia wont keep it off the road.
Blue slips are easy for me.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:33 PM   #60
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think a lot of smaller cammed cars with big exhausts get canned because of drone. Drone is not nice.