Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #31
bob^
LPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalker
it cost 1940$'s for 40 minutes work?? god damn id rather the teeth rot im my mouth and spend the money on my cars... i can live with the pain, have for the last month or so

but seriously guess i should go see someone about getting them out
Yeah, spend the money on your car and have breath so bad no one wants to speak to you.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 01:39 PM   #32
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

Got all 4 of mine removed in a private day surgery under a general anaesthetic 2 years ago. With HCF private cover I was about $500 out of pocket. I had 1 day off work afterwards to recover. A bit sore afterwards for a couple of days, but not too bad at all.
PHATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #33
blueprinted_xr
FPV F6E FG XR8 UTE EL XR6

got all 4 of mine removed in a public hospital. got told u could be waiting up to 3 years, a week later, can you come in? mine was day surgery so i was on a bed, completely knock out. don't remember a thing!
blueprinted_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #34
cupic
Nikon

I had all 4 done in 1991 with out of pocket expense of $550.Stopped me smoking (smoked for 14 years) as well so it was a bargain.

cheers
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #35
bob^
LPS

Bringing up an old thread - I got two of mine taken out this morning. I must say, it was no where near as bad as I thought it would be.
Old 24-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #36
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob^
Bringing up an old thread - I got two of mine taken out this morning. I must say, it was no where near as bad as I thought it would be.
Same thing, I had 2 removed about 3 years ago.

All 4 were through, but 2 on my right side were further along than the left.
The left side was chewing into the gums and the cheek. So it was time to get them done.
I dreaded it. But after a couple of needles and a trial of "happy time" gas, I was away with teeth extraction.
No pain, till about 6 hours after. Lots of wadding in the gum for a few hours, but none the less, all OK. I expected the "black eyes" and all.
The happy gas made my head spin. Didn't make me feel happy though consdiering it's name..LOL!

Now you have reminded me to get the left side done as it's there nagging to be done. Argh!
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #37
andrewr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob^
I must say, it was no where near as bad as I thought it would be.
Same.. I've had 2 (out of 3) done.. Wasn't too bad at all. 45 mins, about $200 each in the chair. Had 2 days off work too :
andrewr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 09:56 PM   #38
caputo23
05 BA MkII XR8

i had mine out end of Feb this year... wasn't the most pleasant experience i must say but better then wasting over 4 grand on getting braces and let them mess up ya teeth..a lot of custard ice cream and jelly.. and macaz sundaes lol... better out then in i reckon
caputo23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #39
bob^
LPS

I don't remember getting mine done. One minute I was talking to the anaesthetist, and the next minute I was in recovery.
I was only sedated, so I was in and out in about an hour.

My stitches came undone about an hour ago though, so I ended up pulling them out myself.
Old 24-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #40
caputo23
05 BA MkII XR8

did you not have the disolvable stitches ?
caputo23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #41
bob^
LPS

Yeah they are disolvable, but they were only put in this morning.

I rang the dentist and he said not to worry about it.
Old 18-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #42
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Just for the record I had all 4 out with no issues.

Its not bad at all, you go in, lie down, the bloke puts a needle in your arm and you wake up with blood in your mouth.

Then you eat soft stuff and all is well again. Worst part is waiting around and hearing the screams of the patients before you.
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #43
MrXr6Tickford
AU Club Mod

Mine are starting to show up now and i have been to the dentist and had some x-rays yesturday.

I have a infection where the wisdom teeth are coming through... So ill most likely be having them out... Im gonna get them to knock me out before they touch my teeth!

Click Here
MrXr6Tickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #44
BA Baracus
xls

It depends on the teeth and how complicated the extraction is.

My missus had all 4 out, bottom 2 impacted sideways. Chair wasn't an option had to be general anesthetic. Didn't have the money so suffered for a fair while until we got credit card to pay for it. Shopped around as much as was viable in Bris. Aprox cost was..

Consult with dental surgeon - $150
Surgery - $1500
Anesthetist - $500
Theater - $500

= $2650

Luckily I don't have wisdom teeth at all but have had about 10 or so normal teeth removed. Usually about $80 a go.

If you smoke give up post having them removed for awhile, I haven't in the past and one time it resulted in a dry socket. Pain of that was hell on earth, much worse then any normal severe toothache or abscesses etc. Had to have cavity filled in daily for weeks, was also big $.

Ask for mysyndol forte as a painkiller for after the extraction, works a lot better then panadeine forte etc. for dental pain.

Place missus went was in Spring Hill in Brisbane.

EDIT: didn't realize thread was old, Bris cost prob not relivent.

Last edited by BA Baracus; 19-04-2009 at 09:28 PM.
BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 09:40 PM   #45
phoenix99

i had 4 wisdom teeth out in one go when I was 19, barely any pain at all........in fact i probably still have the painkillers still!

Getting wisdom teeth out arent as bad as everyone makes it out to be!
phoenix99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 10:05 PM   #46
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have two that have come out on top. One on the bottom hasn't broken through yet, the other partially out and impacted. I was told by the dentist that it would be taken out in the chair for $350. Does that mean they'll cut out/pull out the wisdom tooth or pull the normal tooth so there is room for the wisdom tooth to come through?

Last edited by JMO; 19-04-2009 at 10:12 PM.
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 10:50 PM   #47
BA Baracus
xls

Probably the wisdom tooth JMO. Pulling out a normal tooth is only about $80. Might pull the wisdom out because of the angle it's at and also because the normal tooth would be more useful for you to eat with. If they pull the normal you'll have a gap, that may or may not close depending on angle/position of the wisdom tooth. I've had some really difficult normal back teeth pulled out at various dentists and never costs that much.
Old 19-04-2009, 11:01 PM   #48
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmmm. I've just been reading what is involved. Doesn't sound like much fun. What's the worst that can happen if you just leave it in :P?
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 11:27 PM   #49
BA Baracus
xls

Nothing for a while but eventually pain hits. Always seems to come at night and on a weekend if your unlucky. Attitude goes 180 from fear of the dentist to a willingness to trade your left testical to see one. Then they usually can't fit you in so you wait like a week without sleep eating painkillers like tic-tacs wanting to bash you scull into a wall.

ETA: Also then when you get to the dentist they give you a hard time about not going earlier and don't go as easy on you (in my experience).

Last edited by BA Baracus; 19-04-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 20-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #50
bob^
LPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
Hmmmm. I've just been reading what is involved. Doesn't sound like much fun. What's the worst that can happen if you just leave it in :P?
Don't let it scare you. I was scared shitless about getting them taken out, but after I got home and had a bit of a nap I was good as gold.
The only pain on had on the first day was drinking cold water and it got into the hole. Other than that, it was an ache that got progressively worse, but a panadeine (panadeine forte for the first 2 days) and nurofen had me out and about.
I was expecting to be laying in bed all day from the pain, but I was out working in the shed that night.
Old 20-04-2009, 09:59 PM   #51
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

i had 2 out in the chair over a month ago, i went in, he assessed, said 'yes they are coming out right now' , i lie back get my gums pumped full of lovely numbness, and he battled away and ripped the 2 out. i didnt feel a thing. cost $350 and got $180 off health cover.

and as bob said, i had a nap in the arvo after it was done, and was cruising around like normal, sore for about 2 days ofcourse