Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-08-2006, 10:10 AM   #31
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Don't mess around. Get a road worthy inspection, pronto, make it clear that if he doesn't do the right thing you are going to go to the RTA or whatever they have in Victoria and put your RWC and his RWC side by side, and lodge a complaint with the Department of Fair Trading.

If nothing else, he might see too much unwanted grief and attention coming his way and take the car back. There is a chance this may be more economically viable for him than rectifying the many faults you have outllined.

This may not be the case though - used car dealers are masters of the art of cheap and dirty repairs.

Most used car guys are pretty thick skinned. If your'e expecting a dodgy used car joint to play nice without you waving a big stick at them....lotsa luck.

It's too late for you, but for other newbie car buyers, take heed: Private sale is best. Either way, invest in the 60 or 70 or 100 bucks needed for an NRMA/RACX inspection before signing anything.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 10:12 AM   #32
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Did you test drive the car and check everything worked, or just look at it on the lot and say i will take that one.

I test drove my car, and I gave it a good work out, and tested everything, at the end of the drive, I knew what was what, and what was working 100%, and got fixed what didnt work, and checked it before I handed over my money.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 10:15 AM   #33
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

j0nni...

I cant understand the fact that you have made 100 posts here, , but know nothing about cars as you admitted.

While making those 100 posts , didnt you realize that there were genuine car "nuts" here that could A. probably sell you a car, or B. someone could meet you at a car yard ?

Sorry to say the truth, , but you should have done more research !

You do have a valid case to take back to the car yard, , but they are the top of the tree in being "sneaks" so you are going to need some luck on your side..

Good Luck !

AC/DC
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 01:04 PM   #34
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Well, the dealer is going to get the car towed to their dealer, and they weren't aware of the unroadworthy factors and there going to make sure if it gets done properly this time, and I'm going to get it checked before I collect, and yes I did test it out before in the back streets then onto the highway and it ran perfect, it all started to fall into place later on.
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 01:06 PM   #35
crannersEL
Banned

What about all the other issues like the gear's j0nni, are they going to correct them too?
crannersEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 01:15 PM   #36
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by crannersEL
What about all the other issues like the gear's j0nni, are they going to correct them too?
It's an auto. If anything is wrong there it could cost $$$$.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 01:16 PM   #37
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

everything was mentioned so they should, I didn't really get to speak to them, tim's mum and sister did all the talking for me since I don't know how to deal with stuff like that yet, but I'm just going to find a job (yes i know i keep saying that, people who know me should know) and just try'n take out a loan and get rid of it.
Old 24-08-2006, 01:18 PM   #38
EA2BA
PM me if you want

OK i have been thinking and to be fair pending from when you drove the car to when you picked up, parts could have been swapped out of your car without you knowing, not saying they did but possible. How clean is the engine bay, sparkling or caked on engine grime as to be expected.

Old 24-08-2006, 01:22 PM   #39
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

the engine bay looks pretty good, the mechanic said it had a new head in it though :P Probably should do a mechanic course, It's a real pain not knowing much with older cars which are prone to problems
Old 24-08-2006, 01:22 PM   #40
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

I just had $6k+ worth of work done on a $12k car under the NSW statutory warranty. Consumer affairs down there don't much around either. Anyways, seems you're on the road to getting everything fixed. Make sure a mechanic comes with you to pick the car up, and don't take delivery unless it's satisfactory.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 03:00 PM   #41
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

car has just been towed, hopefully it falls off then get my money back
Old 24-08-2006, 03:02 PM   #42
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nni
Thats the spirit :

Old 24-08-2006, 05:09 PM   #43
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Or you could always hope for a wrecking ball to fall from the sky and fall on top of it.

Honestly though talk to the people you bought the car from I thought used cars if purchased through a yard came with some warranty (not on all items but on all items to do with a road worthy) I bought a second hand car once and had heaps of problems and keep taking it back, in the end they gave me my money back.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :

Last edited by SB076; 24-08-2006 at 05:23 PM.
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 05:55 PM   #44
Scruba
15+ Years!

[QUOTE=j0nni] The car was purchased last Thursday and got incontact with the dealer today, and as far as I know there's the cool off deal which is 7 days?

QUOTE]

Check your contract. My cool off period was 24 hours for my AU. Used cars come with a 3 month statuatory warranty as well.

Work in progress

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7roViz57bb2Stkzx6
Scruba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 06:12 PM   #45
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Just a few facts.

A rwc is not a complete inspection of a cars total condition, it's just a basic safety inspection to make sure the car should be safe to be on the roads for 30 days.

Not all used cars carry a warranty, you have to spend over a certain dollar value before you get warranty.

Used car warrantys do not cover things just because they may not be perfect, fair wear and tear for the age must be considered.

Any used car yard is not a dealership, a dealer ship is a franchise which sells new vehicles as well as used vehicles. most dealerships these days do not sell older, cheap cars to the public, they off load them to wholesalers which sell them to smaller car yards.

Good luck dealing with you car yard

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 06:30 PM   #46
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Well it seems to be good news, they called me up (I don't know If ive already typed this, feels like deja vu) and notice all the problems now, and going to get them all fixed up and hopefully thats the end of it then can move onto a newer car soon when I can.
Old 24-08-2006, 07:24 PM   #47
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

Just goes to show what dodgy car dealers are willing to do to maximise their profit...

Recently, when i was shopping for a falcon, I had a look at an EB2 Ghia (private sale)
Looked nice with tints, lowered and elgt's on it, but under the bonnet, it was stuffed... front and rear seals gone, head gasket was blown, engine oil and trans fluid was black, exhaust had rusted away and suspension was stuffed... Bloke wanted $3500 without RWC.

I walked away.

I later saw the same car in a yard. With a sticker on the window "$5,990, reduced from $7,990. Immaculate condition with RWC."

So, I had another look out of intrest, to see if anything had changed.
Guess what? It was still a dog of a car... just a more expensive dog...

Moral? always do extensive checks, and steer clear of car yards.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 08:07 PM   #48
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMO, that's why you don't buy from a used car dealer without taking care.
They will often make hunk of **** sound like a bar of gold by distracting you from the problems and pointing to the one or two things that do work properly.

Happened to brother's friend.
Won't somebody think of the children?
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 09:22 PM   #49
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR
There is a 3 day cooling off period though, even though no dealer will ever admi to it.

I'd get on to consumer affairs, they will give you the best advice, but a report from a qualified mechanic would be a good idea also to say that the vehicle was sold in an UNROADWORTHY state. If that fails check to see who signed off on the Roadworthy Certificate and tell them if they don't fix it you will go to Vicroads, if I recall it's about a $10k fine for them. Even if they do fix it I would still go to Vicroads, guys like these don't deserve to operate.
I agree here, Consumer Affairs helped me get some work done and some money back.

My neighbours 18 year old son just bought himself an VN SS (poor disillusioned fella - I got him onto Honda motorbikes, but my influenced ended when it came to cars LOL!)

Anyway, the RWC was signed off, but the car had oil leaks and dodgy tyres. His "mum" complained and read the guy who did the RWC her rights, and he did $900 worth of work to actually get the car up to RWC standards. He knew what would happen if she stuck to her guns and took it further.

All the best with it,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 09:58 PM   #50
HWY666

i bought a 2003 ba ex cop car things thatt broke;cup holders,entire centre console(had millions of holes drilled in it)steering rack,back bumper was held togeher by bumper bog,where the sirens were on the roof,they CUT the roof panel to make the wiring fit,power windows didn work,back brakes kept catching on fire
HWY666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 10:00 PM   #51
FordFan86
meow

I thought all dealers had a mandatory 3months/5000km warranty?
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 10:05 PM   #52
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFan86
I thought all dealers had a mandatory 3months/5000km warranty?
depends on price of car but it is not just dealers, it is any used car yard.

Old 24-08-2006, 10:30 PM   #53
killer_taxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
depends on price of car but it is not just dealers, it is any used car yard.
Not the cost of the car, but the age of the car. For example, 80's cars bought from a car dealership will not be provided with a warranty. The dealer should state this.
killer_taxi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 11:37 PM   #54
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

All very valid posts but from expierience nothing good eva comes outta these situations. At the very least they can fix a few things and at least get it to a roadworthy standard. A roadworthy in victoria is nothing to be laughed at nowadays, yes it doesn't cover vehicle condition but it is VERY stingent on saftey related items. I didn't look to hard at this car but from what I saw its nothing that can't be fixed ( it actually looks pretty mint outside and in) I sent him away first cause i wanted jonni to try and get whatever he could outta this dealer. I deal with car salesman almost every day and unless you push they aint gonna offer.....
the best possible outcome would be to recieve your money back but if not well lean on the bastard and make sure he does his best. Then if you do get it back I'll give it a supersized rwc that has been know to make many a dodgy dude cry over the years....
blownba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 11:52 PM   #55
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

Why don't I ever finish reading all the pages of threads before I post??? AHHHH
Things will be fine at least its a clean lookin car to start with the rest can be fixed.
I dont know how many times I've seen this over the years I can't strees enough how important it is to get the car checked before you buy.
I begged one of my best customers to let me check any car he bought for his daughter first. Whats he do. he buys a diesel hilux ute off some cowboy in northen nsw. 30k down the road it overheats and spews diesel oil out the radiator,, ooopppppsss
I get it into work and find no brakes cracked head ****ed block wrong fuel pump ect.. ( my fingers are not good enough to type all the **** that was wrong with this thing)
Anyway a couple of weeks later and $11,000 poorer (YEP that figure is right. 3500 for rwc work and 8000 for new eng and ancillaries)
Did you notice I said he is my best customer, as this is not the first time he has done this. Anyway ive talked enough poo thanks for listening
blownba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 12:04 AM   #56
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well it seems to be good news, they called me up (I don't know If ive already typed this, feels like deja vu) and notice all the problems now, and going to get them all fixed up and hopefully thats the end of it then can move onto a newer car soon when I can.

That is good news.. glad that they are going to fix what needs fixing... Once the problems are fixed you won't need to move onto a newer car.. look after this one and it will be fine..
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 01:29 AM   #57
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just cant believe you spent so much on a 16yo old car. You should have gotten four 626s for that price.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 02:29 AM   #58
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

if you were screwed by a detailer youd have a clean ring !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 08:45 AM   #59
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

anyways dont see how some of the replys help...but anyways if it has a rwc then take it back to the dealer...especially for anything mechanical and the place that gave the rwc WILL have to fix it by law as they said it was working...
but $4k+ dont expect much.....a e series falcon are about that much AND alot more reliable than any early model mazda but that my opinion

good luck

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 08:26 PM   #60
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From the RACV's website, these rules are for vic, other states have different rules, but some states price does affect warranty or warranty period

Used cars that are purchased from a trader come with a three month "statutory" warranty if they are less than 10 years old and have travelled less than 160,000km. The age is determined from the build date (otherwise, the date stamped on the compliance plate).
<LI>Used commercial vehicles and motor cycles are not entitled to a "statutory" warranty. Nor are vehicles purchased at auction.
<LI>A "statutory" warranty is different to a manufacturer warranty; there are a number of exclusions, for example tyres, batteries, radios and non-standard body hardware. Importantly, regular wear and tear items and items listed on a defect notice are excluded. Click for more detailed information on statutory warranties (LINK)
<LI>Relatively new used cars may still have some manufacturer warranty.
If purchasing an extended warranty, carefully read the conditions to see what it covers.