Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #31
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Flooded RX8

Cant understand why they dropped the turbo on the RX8's
I've driven a few boosted RX7's, that were real excitement machines.

A guy at work has one, it looks great, but its just flat to drive
Its like having a modern diesel without a Turbo.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP

Last edited by Vesper Martini; 29-08-2014 at 10:50 AM. Reason: typo
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #32
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Around town I would think they would not be much chop...but hit a track or a good road and revving that sucker all the way would be heaps of fun.

Assuming you can get turbo kits for the RX8?

I thought Mazda Aus made a turbo RX8 for Targa?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #33
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

You can get alot of turbo kits for the RX8. But then the option comes why dont you dropped one of the older motors in instead of turboing the Renesis. Because generally you get better results.
Old 30-08-2014, 12:35 PM   #34
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
You can get alot of turbo kits for the RX8. But then the option comes why dont you dropped one of the older motors in instead of turboing the Renesis. Because generally you get better results.
Wouldn't be able to register it with an engine older than the car I think is the problem (In Victoria anyway).

Some place in Victoria does a fully engineered turbo kit for the RX8, its about $12K I think.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-08-2014, 08:51 PM   #35
ray38l

trying to talk my girlfriend out of buying an rx8. we test drove an auto and it was crap.
I like everything about them except the engine. if it had 2 litre 4 cylinder in it I wouldn't have a problem with her getting one.
the one we test drove barely started cold and when we tried to restart it after 10 minutes of driving it wouldn't start.
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2014, 09:40 PM   #36
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Wouldn't be able to register it with an engine older than the car I think is the problem (In Victoria anyway).

Some place in Victoria does a fully engineered turbo kit for the RX8, its about $12K I think.
NZ no problems doing so all you need to do is get cert for it, easy as.

Thats a little dear for turbo kits I think we were looking at Greddy/Trust and they were around 10k nz from memory. But then thats probably because yours have to be engineered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray38l
trying to talk my girlfriend out of buying an rx8. we test drove an auto and it was crap.
I like everything about them except the engine. if it had 2 litre 4 cylinder in it I wouldn't have a problem with her getting one.
the one we test drove barely started cold and when we tried to restart it after 10 minutes of driving it wouldn't start.
Sounds like something wrong with that one.
Old 30-08-2014, 09:56 PM   #37
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How they should have come from the factory

2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-08-2014, 09:59 PM   #38
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray38l View Post
Auto ones have even less power, 140kw
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2014, 10:08 PM   #39
99AUXR
Brad

Yea my tuner just tuned a RX8 with an LS3 under the bonnet.
Old 30-08-2014, 11:13 PM   #40
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My son on his 2nd RX8 has just been looking at turbo kits for them. For around kit alone comes in at 10.5 and then theres the other bits which will see 15k but you get upgraded rad and zorst and clutch in there and 200rwkw. Now son recently went to Marulan for a track day by himself. Marulan is a tight little circuit as some would know and I thought it would suit the RX8. He had a great time and probably learnt something about the car and his driving ability. On the day he txt me and said "guess what sort of car I am being flogged by"? Short story FOCUS ST. I had to laugh, he loves the RX8 but it is underpowered and waaayyyyyy under torqued.
Old 31-08-2014, 01:30 AM   #41
ray38l

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Auto ones have even less power, 140kw
yeah I know. she wants to get a manual but an auto was all we could find in a car yard nearby. I Dont think the extra power of the the manual would make it much better, it needs torque. maybe its because I drive a v8 everyday but it just felt slow.
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2014, 01:51 AM   #42
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
My son on his 2nd RX8 has just been looking at turbo kits for them. For around kit alone comes in at 10.5 and then theres the other bits which will see 15k but you get upgraded rad and zorst and clutch in there and 200rwkw. Now son recently went to Marulan for a track day by himself. Marulan is a tight little circuit as some would know and I thought it would suit the RX8. He had a great time and probably learnt something about the car and his driving ability. On the day he txt me and said "guess what sort of car I am being flogged by"? Short story FOCUS ST. I had to laugh, he loves the RX8 but it is underpowered and waaayyyyyy under torqued.
Still infinitely more fun to drive than a Focus ST in my opinion. And the RX8 is now effectively what a decade older in tech than Focus ST?