Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #31
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

i can't stand daylight savings time...it's pointless. i wish i was still in brissy & not have to bother this the crap
beers after work still taste the same if it's light or dark.
Halfmo Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #32
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Daylight Savings is wonderful
Down here in Tassie in the middle of summer its great to have daylight to about 9.30 pm
Finally can do things outside
ohh and it always seems warmer once daylight savings start
Old 05-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #33
HSE2

Two weeks too early for mine
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 03:03 PM   #34
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

None of you seem to like my winter time zone change. It would be great for us and I do not care if you freeze to death or have to drive around in the dark just like you do not care about us.......

I like it.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #35
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

What do all the blue bits have in common?
Their proximity to their relevant poles. I understand and agree with your orginal point(s) to a degree. I was not trying to disprove your logic.

Quote:
Why should WE have to change our ways and inconvenience ourselves just so YOU can have some leasure time and you seem to find it difficult to work out what time to make interstate phone calls?
Ah yes - that old chestnut. Why should any of us doing anything that may assist/help others.... the modern attitude. Why should I work 40+ hours a week and barely afford to live when there are people out there living on welfare etc.
(a totally different discussion that will see this thread closed - so I will say no more on that tangent)

In WA, most people are aginst DLS for the simple fact that most of the East coast use it.
"Why should WA change just for the sake of the East" they say - I couldn't give a toss what the other side of the country are doing.

Quote:
None of you seem to like my winter time zone change. It would be great for us and I do not care if you freeze to death or have to drive around in the dark just like you do not care about us.......
Changing time zones in winter would have no effect on me.
Its pitch black when I get up, go to work and still is when I get home, so it would not matter.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #36
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only time I thought it was maybe a tad early was 10 years ago when it started in September
Was a bit hard still having heavy frosts and such
But I think its perfect timing
Old 05-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #37
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i love it. it gives me the chance every year to stir my QLD mates with the same joke:

Queensland: 1 hour (& 30 years) behind NSW & Victoria
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #38
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
I live in QLD but spend most of my work time in Sydney/Melbourne. From my experience it doesn't make a huge difference from a lifestyle perspective. If you want the extra hour at the end of the day, then start an hour earlier at work. Most people (office jobs) I work with in Sydney/Melbourne start at 9am, most QLD'ers start at 8am anyway.
Im with you. DLS is crap imo. I like my sleep. If I want an extra hour in the day, I'll get up earlier. I shouldn't have to be forced to. It should be a choice.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #39
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I love DLS. It is great to be able to finish work and come home and there still be daylight to work on the car...have a bbq...go for a swim... It's all good
Old 05-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #40
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmmm
Sometimes I do wonder if people realise that there is the excact same amount of daylight in a day, weather or not we have daylight savings
Old 05-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #41
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Im with you. DLS is crap imo. I like my sleep. If I want an extra hour in the day, I'll get up earlier. I shouldn't have to be forced to. It should be a choice.
How does it impact your sleep? (other than the first day/night the clocks are changed)
If you sleep 8 hours a night, you can still sleep 8 hours during DLS too... ?????
(seriously, I have friends that have said this to me and I do not understand how it has an effect)

Another ploy used over here - if you want extra daylight, just get up earlier.
Great idea, if someone can get my employer to move their core hours to allow me to do that, then I will. However, it would have a knock on effect for all state schools in the state.
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
Quote:
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
Old 05-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #42
entheos

I love Dalylight Savings...but then I live in Sydney right smack bang in the middle of the line of the timezone so it suits us...I get that it's not for all cities...inner QLD, Perth, and I'm sure other cities around the country...they are all in the wrong spot in relation to the timezone for daylight savings to be functional...but in Sydney it's one of the things i look forward to every single year.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #43
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351
How does it impact your sleep? (other than the first day/night the clocks are changed)
If you sleep 8 hours a night, you can still sleep 8 hours during DLS too... ?????
(seriously, I have friends that have said this to me and I do not understand how it has an effect)

Another ploy used over here - if you want extra daylight, just get up earlier.
Great idea, if someone can get my employer to move their core hours to allow me to do that, then I will. However, it would have a knock on effect for all state schools in the state.
Its more of a psychological thing for me. I see the logic in what you say and it does work, but for me, in my mind, if I don't need to wake up earlier regardless of what the REAL time is, then why should I?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #44
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
That is because you live in Brisbane.

The world is round and the coast of QLD slopes west.

The closer you get to the equator the less effect the seasons have as the thickness of the atmosphere (as in angle and therefore distance travelled) changes very little.

There is little, if any, twilight north of a couple of hundred km south of the Tropic of Capricorn.

Due to the shape of Australia (look on a globe not a flat map as the projecton model distortion increases the further you are from the equator e.g. Greenland is only 400km wide but looks bigger than Australia) sunrise and sunset are at very different times to the southern areas.
The further north you go the later the sunrise/sunset. Mt Isa is only about 100km east of Adelaide.

So while the city office dwellers and southerners in general love the idea of cool afternoons and long twilights sipping chardonay and pontificating on life, the universe and everything up in the north it is just stinking hot for what appears to be even longer.

Conversley moving the time zones in winter would be better for the northeners as it is cooler and less monsoonal then.

To settle the arguement, why don't we just move the time zone forward 1 hr permanently?

You can have your twilights in summer while we swelter in the stinking heat and monsoons and we can have cool evenings in winter while you freeze your bums off in the dark.........
Thanks for the geography lesson ,flappist, here's me thinking I'd actually learnt something in 16 years of education.
I'm not sure the debate around daylight savings in Queensland ever really intended to reference Adelaide, certainly not Greenland.
Just to show I am not averse to all your argument, I am inclined to agree with you in regards to shifting the time zone forward, and lock it in for all EST .
(If you like, daylight savings all year)
Not sure how many time zones there are across Nth America, I think there are 7 or 8 wheras we have three (not to be accused of referencing other countries but maybe a little more relevant to the debate) so yes ,you are right, longditude time zones are probably more relevant than lattitude time zones.
In terms of time spent in twilight hours ,as at today, Brisbane , Cairns, and Mt Isa have a disparity of a massive 3 minutes.
You are right, I do live in Brisbane, and I am sure (though willing to be shown otherwise) that the majority of people in Queensland live below the Tropic of Capricorn. Thus I reference back to my post, I am not sure why Queenslanders seem to have such a fear of daylight savings.
A lot of manufacturing industries set their own "daylight saving" agenda and turn their clocks appropriately forward, most construction sites throughout Queenslad do similar. Many offices choose to do the same, and it seems to me the people most averse to change are rural Queenslanders ,who seem to work to the sun rise/set pattern anyway, regardless of what the clock says.
I am sympathetic to an argument I used to hear many years ago that the ABC news came on at 7pm regardless of daylight saving or otherwise, and that was the means wherby rural people got their news, but I'm not sure that argument holds too much weight these days.
Other than that, I can't understand why Queenslanders would not want to take advantage of the daylight available to them.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #45
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

There's just something comforting in a late evening, you know, that sunset period of around 7.30-8, it's just awesome. The atmosphere of social events changes when dls is active. At least that's my opinion.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #46
Boosh Brus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy
HATE it, DESPISE it, PEEVES me off something fierce!

And NO it has nothing to do with stupid curtain rubbish!

No matter what reasons anyone has 'for DLS' or 'against DSL' each think the other party are mad. So no matter what I say to explain WHY I hate it so much means 'jack' cause the next person who disagree's with me means the same. Its proven time and time again... just look at the messages above?
^^^ What he said
Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #47
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love it. I love not having it in WA. Thank the good Lord himself the WA people voted it down. We don't require it in WA, there is plenty of daylight before and after work.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #48
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde
I love it. I love not having it in WA. Thank the good Lord himself the WA people voted it down. We don't require it in WA, there is plenty of daylight before and after work.
Not sure I want to argue the point that "the good lord" himself has anything to do with the hours in a day!!
Old 05-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #49
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
Other than that, I can't understand why Queenslanders would not want to take advantage of the daylight available to them.
Do you live in an air-conditioned house?
Old 05-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #50
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love coming home from work during the day, and its also great for bbq's after work
Bionic BF XR8 - 6 speed manual, reversing sensors, premium sound, GT starter button. 218rwkw - Got to love the BOSS!!
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #51
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Trick question???
Old 05-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #52
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Trick question???
I've always found the strongest advocates are those who enjoy the uninterrupted sleep of a climate controlled house. For the rest of us, we cant wait for some kind of relief from the heat.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #53
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
What does that matter?
Does DLS make the hotter than no DLS days?
If the max temp on a give day is 40deg then that is the max, regardless of DLS or no DLS.
(the only difference is the time at which that max temp is reached)
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-10-2010, 04:23 PM   #54
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks for the geography lesson ,flappist, here's me thinking I'd actually learnt something in 16 years of education.
I'm not sure the debate around daylight savings in Queensland ever really intended to reference Adelaide, certainly not Greenland.
Just to show I am not averse to all your argument, I am inclined to agree with you in regards to shifting the time zone forward, and lock it in for all EST .
(If you like, daylight savings all year)
Not sure how many time zones there are across Nth America, I think there are 7 or 8 wheras we have three (not to be accused of referencing other countries but maybe a little more relevant to the debate) so yes ,you are right, longditude time zones are probably more relevant than lattitude time zones.
In terms of time spent in twilight hours ,as at today, Brisbane , Cairns, and Mt Isa have a disparity of a massive 3 minutes.
You are right, I do live in Brisbane, and I am sure (though willing to be shown otherwise) that the majority of people in Queensland live below the Tropic of Capricorn. Thus I reference back to my post, I am not sure why Queenslanders seem to have such a fear of daylight savings.
A lot of manufacturing industries set their own "daylight saving" agenda and turn their clocks appropriately forward, most construction sites throughout Queenslad do similar. Many offices choose to do the same, and it seems to me the people most averse to change are rural Queenslanders ,who seem to work to the sun rise/set pattern anyway, regardless of what the clock says.
I am sympathetic to an argument I used to hear many years ago that the ABC news came on at 7pm regardless of daylight saving or otherwise, and that was the means wherby rural people got their news, but I'm not sure that argument holds too much weight these days.
Really?

According to Air Services the following are the official and legal first and last light times for today.

YMHB (Hobart) 1909 0848 UTC
YMML (Melbourne) 1925 0854 UTC
YSSY (Sydney) 1903 1825 UTC
YBBN (Brisbane) 1900 0813 UTC
YBCS (Cairns) 1935 0836 UTC
YBMA (Mt Isa) 1958 0903 UTC

Look at the differences in day length as well as dawn/dusk

Now on Australia day (middle of summer)

YMHB (Hobart) 1831 1041 UTC
YMML (Melbourne) 1858 1008 UTC
YSSY (Sydney) 1842 0933 UTC
YBBN (Brisbane) 1850 0910 UTC
YBCS (Cairns) 1939 0920 UTC
YBMA (Mt Isa) 1957 0952 UTC

And now on 30 June 2011 (middle of winter)

YMHB (Hobart) 2054 0739 UTC
YMML (Melbourne) 2055 0759 UTC
YSSY (Sydney) 2023 0740 UTC
YBBN (Brisbane) 2006 0742 UTC
YBCS (Cairns) 2021 0826 UTC
YBMA (Mt Isa) 2051 0846 UTC

Does that help you understand what the issue actually is?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #55
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
What does that matter?
Does DLS make the hotter than no DLS days?
If the max temp on a give day is 40deg then that is the max, regardless of DLS or no DLS.

It doesn't matter yet he didn't answer it.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #56
nstg8a

Quote:
and only by an hour....

as for the people saying just go to work an hour earlier... are you for real? how many people can start work whenever they want?
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #57
ROLLI
KEEPUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Daylight savings is great for bbqs and beers after work....

I look forward to it every year... ;)
Same here mate! Its the best when we do actually get nice days in vic like today I can get my car out after work and go enjoy the sun.....
Old 05-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #58
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
It doesn't matter yet he didn't answer it.
Boy, give me a chance tiger...but to answer your question , no! I'm just one of those guys who lives in a post war ,champherboard house in the suburbs.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #59
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Really?

According to Air Services the following are the official and legal first and last light times for today.

I guess if you're flying a couple of feet above the rest of us ,yes it does help me understand. I only posted times from the BOM, that I guess the rest of us less fortunate ground dwellers would reference.
But again I ask ,if the original post was in regards to daylight savings in Queensland, why do you reference aviation statistics for YMBH, YMML, YSSY,
There was a map produced earlier that showed most coutries in the tropics were against DLS, but it also showed to me that most of those countries that proposed DLS were developed.

Last edited by zdcol71; 05-10-2010 at 04:55 PM.
zdcol71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #60
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Really?

I am really confused by those numbers and YES I understand a 24 hour clock.

For instance Mt. Isa that I have highlighted, do those numbers mean that "legally" sunset is at 7.58pm and sunrise is at 9.03 am? Or am I reading those number wrong.

I really struggle with it being "legally" sunrise at 9.03 am today in Mt Isa - sorry.