Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-11-2006, 06:43 PM   #31
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupsta

So can I ask - how do you brake coming into a corner? Your in 4th gear doing 60kmh an hour for a standard left hand 90 degree turn from the street you are travelling on. Do tell.
Did you leave you common sense in the car or something?
If you read what I posted, I said dont use gears to slow down, if you are coming to a corner you would slow down to the appropriate speed then change down, not slap it into 2nd at 80 and engine brake all the way to the corner. :MrT_anim:
Fact is you will wear the clutch out that way, and gearbox. It puts alot of load on these parts when it isnt necessary.

Its funny when you hear people braking gearboxes and clutches in modded cars, and other people with the exact same setup who dont. They say they never abuse these parts, then you see how they drive for yourself and you then understand why....
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 06:46 PM   #32
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
If you read what I posted, I said dont use gears to slow down, obviously if you are coming to a corner you would slow down to the appropriate speed then change down, not slap it into 2nd at 80 and engine brake all the way to the corner. :MrT_anim:
Going into 2nd at 80 would be stupid, but you can still use gears to slow down by putting it into 4th at 80, 3rd at 60 etc. It won't damage the car but it will still provide plenty of engine braking

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 06:46 PM   #33
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey just wondering, when you guys come to a corner, in say 4th, do you just miss 3rd and go straight into 2nd? (Depending on what gear you're in and the conditions of the corner)

My driving instructor taught me this and my dad uses it too.

Even when I come to the lights, I knock it into neutral, before stopping. (Or just hold my foot on the clutch and go from the gear I'm in, straight to first, but when I'm going slow enough, so there's no lagging on the gears)
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 06:46 PM   #34
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you read what I posted, I said dont use gears to slow down, if you are coming to a corner you would slow down to the appropriate speed then change down, not slap it into 2nd at 80 and engine brake all the way to the corner. :MrT_anim:
Fact is you will wear the clutch out that way, and gearbox. It puts alot of load on these parts when it isnt necessary.
that makes sence too. i use both methods depending on the situation.
Old 30-11-2006, 06:48 PM   #35
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
Hey just wondering, when you guys come to a corner, in say 4th, do you just miss 3rd and go straight into 2nd? (Depending on what gear you're in and the conditions of the corner)

Yep so long as I'm cruising otherwise I go to 3rd. Skip shifting is encouraged in driving tests. My instructor was impressed.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 06:49 PM   #36
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i learnt from my dad that when coming to a corner you can miss 3rd and go to second aslong as the speed is appropriate. when coming to a complete stop at the lights its good to cut gears down aswell till you get to a stop then put it in neutral and take foot off clutch.
Old 30-11-2006, 06:53 PM   #37
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Was never taught skipping gears on downshift ... but I started using it as it was quicker in washing off speed in some emergency situations.

learned a lot doing Pizza delivery on P-plates back in the early 90's
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 06:56 PM   #38
stiddy
Banned

Ive slowed my car down compressioning many times from 80km/h in 2nd under brakes aswell. I wouldnt say its stupid. Actually I use engine braking every single day I drive my car. I will always drop it back a few gears when slowing down. Ive also had the same clutch for 2 years without a drama, and theres no hints of it giving up yet.
Compressioning wont damage your clutch or gearbox. Im with XA coupsta on this.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 07:09 PM   #39
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_silver_ghia
Going into 2nd at 80 would be stupid, but you can still use gears to slow down by putting it into 4th at 80, 3rd at 60 etc. It won't damage the car but it will still provide plenty of engine braking
agreed...
nice way to use the worst possible case scenario xr6 martin

our hilux is at 630,000.... we always engine brake....
its still on its original motor, gearbox and diff... it had its original clutch replaced at 550,000... and is still going strong on its seccond.

engine braking, as mentioned by the others will not damage the car, if done sensibly...

you must go through brakes like mad
Quote:

yep, do it all the time in surface streets where you're not above 60....4 > 2 > 1
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 07:09 PM   #40
BlackLS

Congrats on getting a car that is able to be actually driven

If your going to downshift to help slow the car, learn to heel-toe; blip the throttle to match the revs with the gear your about to release the clutch into.

Your shift points are going to change depending on the conditions and the acceleration needed. A good guide is how far your pushing the accelerator. If your only doing 100% open throttle, change very close to redline. 50% throttle, just 3000rpm. If your going up a hill (at least with a 4cyl) wait another 1000rpm before changing.

Best advice, just keep driving. Eventually you'll get a feel. Oh yeah learn how a clutch works, that will help you visuallise what your doing with it and learn not to ride the clutch too much. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch.htm

Ideally you want to change gear so that it doesn't drop back below 1400rpm.

In the Focus it has a shift light standard.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 07:12 PM   #41
BlackLS

An auto goes through more brake pads than a manual that isn't downshifted.
Old 30-11-2006, 07:16 PM   #42
BlackLS

Quote:

Yeah, its good to prepare the car for going around the corner. Check out the owners manual, it'll say you should be slightly accelerating during a corner. Being in the right gear (to match around 2800rpm at the start of the corner) lets you power out really nicely. ;)
Old 30-11-2006, 07:25 PM   #43
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
An auto goes through more brake pads than a manual that isn't downshifted.
What about an auto that is downshifted ????
hee hee
I now have a strong auto than can handle manual shifting ... woo hoo.

Learning and driving manual teaches you how to save brakes for emergency situations .. also teaches you how to save brakes when driving an auto as well. The wife used to ride the brakes all of the time ... I am slowly teaching her to downshift now and she prefers it.
Old 30-11-2006, 07:26 PM   #44
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Quote:
Dont use gears to slow down (unless its an emergency) Gears are for going, not slowing.
Um............ i was taught we should change down through the gears?
my dads XF done around 450,000k's and was on same gearbox and engine without rebuilds. not sure about the clutch though, but dont remember it being done though.

Last edited by needaXYGT; 30-11-2006 at 07:37 PM.
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 07:42 PM   #45
zetec
Zoom Zoom

It's a common misconception that engine brtaking in an emergency helps slow the car quicker. It's bullshit. Your car cannont physically stop faster than the tyres can grip to the road, and most brakes will lock up the car's wheels in most emergency situations on their own. Threshold braking will slow even a car equipped with ABS quicker than anything else short of a brick wall itself. If it's emergency, just hit both pedals, the brake and the clutch - to come to a dead stop.
Old 30-11-2006, 08:02 PM   #46
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can any damage be done manually changing gears in an auto?
I tend to do it to assist slowing under heavy braking, or hard acceleration to really rev out each gear.

Former Rides:
EB1 FAIRMONT – 4.0, A4, FULL EXHAUST, WADE 1004, TIP J3, 18” BA XR8’S, SUPERLOWS, SPRINT KIT,
AU1 FAIRMONT GHIA – 5.0, A4, 3" CATBACK, 20" VERSUS WRAITH, ULTRALOWS, TICKFORD & MOMO GOODIES
EBTom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 08:04 PM   #47
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

If it is standard it can be done ... but gently. They tend not to like it when early backchanging is done ... especially often.

I have a strengethened auto that is built to handle it though ... but I don't thrash it though ... I still look after it.
Old 30-11-2006, 09:48 PM   #48
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
It's a common misconception that engine brtaking in an emergency helps slow the car quicker. It's bullshit. Your car cannont physically stop faster than the tyres can grip to the road, and most brakes will lock up the car's wheels in most emergency situations on their own. Threshold braking will slow even a car equipped with ABS quicker than anything else short of a brick wall itself. If it's emergency, just hit both pedals, the brake and the clutch - to come to a dead stop.
Thats correct. If you could engine engine brake quicker than your ABS could work in emergencies, you would be left with pieces of gearbox and other bits on the road behind you and it would probably cost more to fix than the accident that you MAY have avoided... LOL.

Engine braking is fine. I have done it all my life and never had a problem. I have been through my fair share of clutches but that is more related to drag racing heavy manual BAs and general misbehaviour than using brakes and engine to slow down.

Manuals are fun. Once you learn, you dont think about the gearchanges, you just do it when it feels right. And that very much depends on your mood at the time and where you are.... later change when having fun, earlier if behaving... etc. Manuals are also better to drive in hilly areas. And once you get used to it, you dont even think about changing gears in traffic - I change gears like breathing...just a subconscious thing.

Have fun!

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 10:06 PM   #49
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
If you want better economy though ... I'd change into 5th a bit earlier ... saves your hip pocket when coming time to fill up.

I learnt manual on a vehicle without a tacho ... so i just went on the sound of the vehicle and what felt right. I mainly picked it up after watching both parents drive all of the time and getting used to their shift points.

Time and practice and you will get better and reaslise what is best to suit your driving style.

I wish i had a manual again ... first 10 years of driving was in manual vehicles only ... now the last 2 years have been auto only. I want a manual toy again.
totally agree with ya mechan1k. i learnt in manuals ( turbo'd nissan patrol, lh v8 torana and a hyundai s coupe all without tacho's) learnt by feel and sound not looking for tacho. im now driving an 03 manual xr8 after driving an ef x cop car auto for 3 years, its good to be back in a manual especially with a v8.

experince and practice are the only things that make you better at it. :
SNB05T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 10:11 PM   #50
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Threshold braking will slow even a car equipped with ABS quicker than anything else short of a brick wall itself.
That's something I learnt from the John Bowe driving course I did, and try to practise when I can remember.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 10:15 PM   #51
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

Well good to see i started a thread people have an opinion on, was hopin it wasn't some sort of repost! I felt i may be gearing to soon going from 3rd at 2750 to 4th at 80kmhr! Well i now realise im driving my car harder than most without realising it! il be sure to now be able to shift more conservatively without fearing im gearing too soon!
Do alot of people in Falcons feel that the clutch is a bugger, had my first peak hour experience the other week where i was in heavy traffic for about 2 hours and I could not feel my foot!!!
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR6TickfordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 10:19 PM   #52
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well my car was starting to get tired at 80 in 2nd so I was 20km/h off. Short gearing don't you love it! I know that it can rev to 6000 or so no problems but I always think that I shouldn't.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 11:30 PM   #53
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Its funny when you hear people braking gearboxes and clutches in modded cars, and other people with the exact same setup who dont. They say they never abuse these parts, then you see how they drive for yourself and you then understand why....
Mate I havent left my common sense anywhere thanks.

Its clearly obvious that you are clutching at straws in a big way.

I think its also quite clear you've been voted off the island XR6 Martin.........
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 01:09 AM   #54
StookEB

The manual for my EA CFI 5sp says that I should be doing 55km/h in 5th.
I tried that and it severely labours and you can barely cruise, my clutch is near new and geerbox are good.