Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-03-2016, 09:20 PM   #31
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: People Movers

Quote:
Originally Posted by petered View Post
Out of my 'comfort zone' on this one. A relative has asked my advice as she wishes to purchase a People Mover. I have absolutely NO knowledge on these as I HATE them and therefore have zero interest. The last one of these I worked on was a Mitsubishi L300 some 30 years ago. Prior to that it was a Kombi - a real People Mover, especially as we had three park benches in the back to transport anything up to 15 bodies behind the driver. For the 'Sydneyites', the Kombi would only climb Taverner's Hill (in 1st gear) with 12 on board.

Anyhow, I am humbly seeking the views from the more informed. Her requirements are:
- Seats between 6 & 8.
- Room in the back for two (scabby) dogs.
- Some of the passengers may have physical limitations / disabilities.
- Required to occasionally tow a small camping trailer.
- Will be driven in a mixture of environments - Large Regional City, Highway and some trips to Melbourne.
- Driver is 40+ years experienced and highly competent.
- Fuel consumption important BUT not critical.
- Reliability paramount.
- Age around 5 or so years (price).

The only point of reference I have is that friends own an 8 year old Tarago and they absolutely swear by it.

I will be highly appreciative of any informed advice / opinion on the planned purchase.
VM Ford Transit Bus should do the job. You could remove a couple of seats to add space or tow a small trailer.
Old 18-03-2016, 11:52 AM   #32
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Don't dismiss the Hyundai Imax. The turbo diesel version isn't a bad thing and gets along quite well. There's room for 7 + driver and room behind the back seats for your dogs or anything else. By all reports from the taxi industry they are tough as nails, reliable and good on fuel. The only draw back with any of the people movers might be access for people with physical limitations/disabilities as the step up into any of them can be a challenge.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2016, 11:59 AM   #33
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Opened this thread with my eyes ready to roll, expecting all responses to be "Ford" options.

Mildly disappointed, eyes only partially rolled.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2016, 08:51 AM   #34
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

I have driven a few Kia Carnaval hire cars, with 7 - 8 blokes on board. Bags in the back. I was suprised at the pick up of the engine when fully loaded. Good vehicle. But don't get one built before around 2005. As they have documented engine dramas. I can't comment on the Hyundai Iload.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-03-2016, 11:59 PM   #35
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Odyssey or Tarago, that's it period.
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2016, 12:24 AM   #36
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i drove quiet a few of the taragos some years ago , they where all rental cars , but i did like the way they drove, felt surprisingly un people mover ish in a good way , had the captains seats with fold down arm rests and plenty of room, cornered very flat and was generally nice to drive with enough kit to do the job i think, i did not get to give them a caning , but seemed brisk enough in traffic,
being rentals probably had the 4 potter option , i would drive one as a daily no problems, dont know how they would go with 8 people and a trailer though..
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2020, 03:09 AM   #37
Campbchen
Starter Motor

At the moment I am the owner of a 2015 Toyota Sienna, the best thing I found about this car is the huge place it owns. Inside there are 7 quite comfortable places, but also a spacious trunk. It is understandable that due to the larger number of seats it is shrinking, but so far I do not feel the need for a lack of space in it when I want to travel with family anywhere. You can also look at FORD, which is known for the durability and conformation offered in maneuvers, in case of comparisons with the same class of cars. It is no coincidence that moving companies, for example,
expomovers.com use this brand, durability, and failure rarely, lead to population trust in this brand.
Campbchen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post