Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-02-2016, 10:23 PM   #31
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Mustang GT v Holden Commodore SS-V Redline v Chrysler 300 SRT comparison review

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0 View Post
Am I the only one who seems to recall the yanks getting a far better 0-62mph time in the same car? Not that it is the only thing you would buy one for, but you know..
I believe that US testers often don't actually get the published times because they use a correction system for what the car would achieve with a full fuel load under pretty good conditions.
Check on the net. Car and Driver explain how it's done in a video and I've also been told that Motor Trend was doing the same thing.
I know Road and Track were publishing the exact test times when they were based on the West Coast, but a few years back they moved their office to Michigan and I can't say that they are still routinely posting the actual times.

Also importantly US testers normally set their timing gear to only start counting when the car has moved 1 foot and that commonly reduces the time by about 3 tenths.

Regarding the Mustangs 5.6 to 100 km/h, I'd expect later tests to cut that down a fair bit.
2242100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2016, 10:25 PM   #32
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Mustang GT v Holden Commodore SS-V Redline v Chrysler 300 SRT comparison review

Less power due to Euro spec exhaust is to blame for lesser performance I imagine.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2016, 10:44 PM   #33
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Less power due to Euro spec exhaust is to blame for lesser performance I imagine.
Part of the reason too I guess, but Motor did get a 4.9 out of a US spec car and 5.6 is well behind that.
The problem with just a 0-100 time is we don't know how much time it lost to wheelspin getting off the line and what it's rolling acceleration is like.
2242100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2016, 10:52 PM   #34
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
When you factor in the Mustang's lengthy waiting list and the impending end of the Aussie-made Commodore, picking the Holden seems like the obvious choice for anyone who loves a great V8.
So its the obvious choice because its a Aussie built car and there is no waiting list, he wouldn't have needed to test drive them to know that..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2016, 10:54 PM   #35
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Re: Ford Mustang GT v Holden Commodore SS-V Redline v Chrysler 300 SRT comparison review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Why no XR8 you clown of the anus Ottley? The SS is done and dusted like the XR8, so why omit it from the review???

Ford probably didnt want there new poster child being flogged by there outgoing model
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2016, 11:02 PM   #36
Tommie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Ford website states curtain airbags as standard, along with dual front and side thorax airbags as well as knee airbags for both front passengers.
That sounds more right and logical. I was just going off the article as written by the journo. Should have known better...
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-02-2016, 02:40 AM   #37
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Doesnt the Mustang have overhead airbags in the rear?
Only in the Convertible.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2016, 08:45 AM   #38
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Every time I see a VF SS I think of a Holden Cruze or Dame Edna.

Nice muscle car if you want to look feminine.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2016, 11:54 AM   #39
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
I don't think anyone here is interested in your queer Dame Edna fantasies.

Love it or loathe it the VF is the best car ever produced by this country.
At least the best local car with a imported engine , that is if we ignore those A pillars
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2016, 12:09 PM   #40
mr_xlr8
GT-P Whitey

5.6 sec 0-100...that is a bit hows it goin.

Current ride:
FG MKI 5.0L S/C 6SP Auto = 9.5/10

Previous Rides:
FG MKII GT-P 5.0L S/C 6SP MANUAL = 9/10
AU III 5 SPEED BLUEPRINT XR8 220KW= 8/10
BA XR8 BOSS 260 BLUEPRINT = 3/10
EB FAIRMONT WINDSOR 302 BURGUNDY = 6/10
mr_xlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2016, 12:19 PM   #41
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8 View Post

I've yet to drive a car that threatens my masculinity, but some on here seem obsessed about what everyone is thinking about them or their appendage or who they slept with last night, all based on a car of all things.

I don't care and maybe you shouldn't either.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2016, 12:26 PM   #42
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

If this thread starts getting personal it will go the way of the Dodo and cease to exist.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:51 PM   #43
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
That's be the ugliest locally made car with the least local content too- other than the Cruize.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2016, 01:46 PM   #44
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
I've spent the last 6 years and 100,000km in a VE. Cannot recall a single occasion when the pillars have interfered with my vision or caused any sort of issue.
Owned a VE Clubsport, then went to an FG F6 and didn't notice any better (or worse) visibility being obscured by the A pillar and then an EvoX which again is pretty much the same. The size of the plastics appeared larger in the VE but the additional visible rubber and door of the FG evened it out (from what I can recall..)
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #45
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Odd comparison if you ask me. 3 cars that the only thing in common I can see is they're all V8's. Each of them appeal to a different buyer.

If the Mustang had a shorter waiting list, the other two cars could be faster, more nimble, more fuel efficient and have more gadgets, but I'd choose the Mustang every single day of the week.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #46
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Even if it was, which of course it isn't, it is still pretty butt ugly.

Luckily all this is subjective, cos I reckon the best car ever made in the land down under was of course the mighty AU Falcon back in 1998-2002.
7 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2016, 03:07 PM   #47
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Cool Re: Ford Mustang GT v Holden Commodore SS-V Redline v Chrysler 300 SRT comparison review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Even if it was, which of course it isn't, it is still pretty butt ugly. image

Luckily all this is subjective, cos I reckon the best car ever made in the land down under was of course the mighty AU Falcon back in 1998-2002.
Ford some strange reason I agree
UK
(As he goes back to the AU Falcon section)
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2016, 03:31 PM   #48
Windsor220
Now Fordless

The VF should be the best car made in this country. Its the most recent model. I'm not going to include FGX because Ford had already announced the Falcons end before its release and didn't invest much money in it.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2016, 04:03 PM   #49
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8 View Post

And that is the exact reason why I never call any of my Commodores Horace.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2016, 06:14 PM   #50
bradFPV
Banned

The mustang isn't doing it for me yet. I don't want the falcon to die :(
bradFPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2016, 11:00 PM   #51
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradFPV View Post
The mustang isn't doing it for me yet. I don't want the falcon to die :(
The previous models say 2005 on look better to me...
Just my opinion
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2016, 01:03 AM   #52
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Even if it was, which of course it isn't, it is still pretty butt ugly. image

May have been the best built car in Australia (I dis-agree) but it sure was the ugliest! (T series aside)
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2016, 01:42 AM   #53
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have gone from which company is more Australian, to which car is more masculine...

Didn't the phase 3 use an imported engine?
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 04:09 AM   #54
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

I want to own none in that review. Ss redline wagon for me!
Giant Cranium is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2016, 10:30 AM   #55
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
However, that initial feeling of excitement about the V8 is dampened by its low rev performance - or rather the lack thereof. The 5.0-litre is missing a real punch below 4000rpm which is disappointing. Rev it to 4000rpm and beyond and the story changes, as it roars and offers up excellent top end performance.
I don't understand this, my 2011 has no such issue. If you use full throttle it takes off like a scared and frightened rabbit.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2016, 10:37 AM   #56
mick74GT

Quote:
I've spent the last 6 years and 100,000km in a VE. Cannot recall a single occasion when the pillars have interfered with my vision or caused any sort of issue.
I've had an E3 Maloo as my daily the last 5 years and I agree. Never even thought about the A pillars
mick74GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2016, 12:50 PM   #57
PALE ALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX View Post
We have gone from which company is more Australian, to which car is more masculine...

Didn't the phase 3 use an imported engine?
No, while components were u.s. sourced, the engines were developed by engineers Ian Stockings and Bill Santuccione
PALE ALE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2016, 01:19 PM   #58
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0 View Post
Am I the only one who seems to recall the yanks getting a far better 0-62mph time in the same car? Not that it is the only thing you would buy one for, but you know..
Thought most US tests are 0-60. That extra 2mph makes a little difference. With the old BA 5 speed, getting to 100 was an extra gear shift at 98kms/hr.

Overall, I don't mind the cars being pitted against each other, but giving the win purely on availability is a long bow to string IMO.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2016, 01:33 PM   #59
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

half a second slower to a hundred kph , it means little , and who really cares, in any event surely the yardstick has been the standing quarter/400 metres, the only thing nought to a hundred establishes is traction in my book, the real mark of performance is top end.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2016, 05:59 PM   #60
damo6
turbo pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
May be they couldn't get one, according to people here, the XR8 has a long waiting list.
Nah,i doubt thats the problem. Quick look on carsales has 18 demos and 2 used ones around brisbane.having said that the other states maybe different