Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #31
HSV587
yes i drive a HSV....

Been pinged under the anti hooning laws once,lost my car for 24 hours and had to front court........my offence?My clubsport has a mini spool.....was turning out of a sidestreet at about 1 km/h and the wheels chirped.....
HSV587 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2009, 03:32 PM   #32
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
(b) the vehicle is being used in an attempt to establish or break a speed record;
I love this one. 'yeah officer I was trying to break the land speed record!'

You can get done for 'hooning' if your car steps out accidentally...oil on the road, getting onto the Monash in heavy rain (this happened to me I was doing 20kph and every car seemed to be getting the same problem).

Next update in the law will be playing music too loud, and your found to be modified.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:12 PM   #33
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts_disturbed
You're right on the money there, sure we've all done a few sily skids and things like that in our time, but its after you get caught that seperates the men from the boys.
Having said that, I've never been caught....

You obviously had a good hiding spot mate.

Just kidding
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2009, 10:17 PM   #34
JPYBNE
Starter Motor

I'm no fan of giving the servents of the government lattitude for interpretation of laws which are imprefectly written as listed by GAZ. If you think that the police force is not representative of the general population your dreaming - they have their share of the good and the bad. Problem is giving room for the bad eggs to give people a hard time on issues like VZTRT, which are inadvertant and accidental.

Of course using full acceleration and braking is ok - thats just my driving style officer, I was not testing anything.

Cheers JPY
JPYBNE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 01:27 AM   #35
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

I also read in the paper today from S.A, they also class drink or drug driving part of the hoon laws. Now that I agree with.

As for testing your cars acceleration and braking capabilities being part of the hoon laws. I agree with that too. How many idiots out there would try and avoid having their cars clamped by claiming this? It's a good way for the gov't to close that loophole. By the sounds of what you've said GAZ, only if you crash, you've found the limit and then have your car clamped. Go to a race track to test those limits. That's part of the reason for open days at them.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:11 AM   #36
j1autotech
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV587
Been pinged under the anti hooning laws once,lost my car for 24 hours and had to front court........my offence?My clubsport has a mini spool.....was turning out of a sidestreet at about 1 km/h and the wheels chirped.....
Is a minispool a legal street modification in Tas ???
Were you charged for chipping the wheels or having a minispool installed ???
j1autotech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 05:03 AM   #37
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like a clear case of guilt by association. hot looking car + squeal from tyre = your gone son!

I never got picked up in my old granddad looking yellow XB sedan with the brown vinyl roof. That car did, however, run a strong 351 cleveland, five speed manual box, nine inch diff, and four wheel disk brakes.

I did get picked up a few times in my Blueprint BA XR6 ute sporting the stickers on the rear window. My XB would have trounced the BA in a straight line.

Guilt by association is just a fact of life I'm afraid and Cops are human. On the flip side, lets hope police have the fortutude to administer those disturbing Hoon laws in a human manner.

Gawd those laws could lock anyone up, Ever locked a wheel in an emergency stop? Ever lost traction in the wet? any mechanics ever taken a vehicle for a road test after bleeding brakes? Ever been in a hurry to get to work or had to quickly enter a lane of traffic during peak hour? ever driven off gravel onto an uphill section of road towing a trailer? Ever accidently spun a wheel or lost traction of any type in your lifetime? Ever made the tyres squeal going around a corner for whatever reason? (cheap tyres or driving a poor handling commercial vehicle soon after getting out of a sedan can be the culprits here). Ever taken a car for a test drive prior to purchase?

If you answered yes to any of those questions, lets hope no one was watching... Because your a Hoon, and frankly I've had enough of your bad behavior on our roads......

Last edited by OZQUAD44; 03-04-2009 at 05:13 AM.
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 08:36 AM   #38
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZQUAD44
Sounds like a clear case of guilt by association. hot looking car + squeal from tyre = your gone son!

I never got picked up in my old granddad looking yellow XB sedan with the brown vinyl roof. That car did, however, run a strong 351 cleveland, five speed manual box, nine inch diff, and four wheel disk brakes.

I did get picked up a few times in my Blueprint BA XR6 ute sporting the stickers on the rear window. My XB would have trounced the BA in a straight line.

Guilt by association is just a fact of life I'm afraid and Cops are human. On the flip side, lets hope police have the fortutude to administer those disturbing Hoon laws in a human manner.
YES THIS IS WHERE WE NEED POLICE TO USE COMMON SENCE
Gawd those laws could lock anyone up, Ever locked a wheel in an emergency stop? Ever lost traction in the wet? any mechanics ever taken a vehicle for a road test after bleeding brakes? Ever been in a hurry to get to work or had to quickly enter a lane of traffic during peak hour? ever driven off gravel onto an uphill section of road towing a trailer? Ever accidently spun a wheel or lost traction of any type in your lifetime? Ever made the tyres squeal going around a corner for whatever reason? (cheap tyres or driving a poor handling commercial vehicle soon after getting out of a sedan can be the culprits here). Ever taken a car for a test drive prior to purchase?

If you answered yes to any of those questions, lets hope no one was watching... Because your a Hoon, and frankly I've had enough of your bad behavior on our roads......
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 09:09 AM   #39
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

By far the best post in this thread!
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #40
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:

Yes, I've lost traction in the wet. Made tyres squeel round a corner and made them loose traction. Caused by my right foot control, nothing else.

Yes, constantly test driving other peoples cars, be it before or after alignment, bedding brakes or after they're bled up. You don't flog another persons vehicle, so therefore can't get done for hooning.

Entering traffic hurridly or been late for work. Drive sensibily and if you're running late to work, the boss should understand why you got held up, if it's because of traffic. If he doesn't, change employers.

Poor handling tyres or even changing from a sedan to a commercial vehicle. Yes, constantly doing it and never spun the wheels, locked a brake or had a tyre squeel because of it being a cheapie. It's called right foot control once again.

Taking a car for a test drive prior to purchase. Shouldn't flog it to begin with, as you don't know it. Good way to smash it up.

In other words, being careful with the right foot and being alert means less chance of being done for hooning. I reckon I drive about 12 different cars a day.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #41
HSV587
yes i drive a HSV....

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1autotech
Is a minispool a legal street modification in Tas ???
Were you charged for chipping the wheels or having a minispool installed ???
Only charged for chirping the wheels,I even mentioned it had a minispool in court,and it sailed through the transport inspection with the spool too.....had spools in 4 or 5 other cars ive owned too....might be legal down here,tassie is pretty lax in its rules.
HSV587 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 11:20 PM   #42
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

All we need is for these laws to keep getting tighter and tighter, then nobody will stop for any cop... I fear it's already nearing that point!
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2009, 12:53 AM   #43
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms
All we need is for these laws to keep getting tighter and tighter, then nobody will stop for any cop... I fear it's already nearing that point!
I'm afraid that is what giving coppers the ability to confiscate and sell/crush peoples cars will do, they'll try and outrun the cops, making it an even more dangerous situation. Your never going to be able stop people from doing these things, but using scare tactics is just going to aggravate the offender.
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 04:39 AM   #44
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Yes, I've lost traction in the wet. Made tyres squeel round a corner and made them loose traction. Caused by my right foot control, nothing else.
Exactly you Hoon. I'm surprised you even admitted this in an open forum.....
And even though you, by your own admission, are a Hoon. I did not suggest that you take your customers cars out and thrash them.

I am suggesting that if you take a car out for a road test and you didn't test the speed, or the acceleration, braking or steering capability, of the vehicle in any way, you haven't tested the work done to it have you.

If you did test the vehicle in any way, then yes my friend, under these laws you are a naughty, anti social, world coming to an end, Hoon.....

But.... in all seriousness. I do not condone, "hooning" nor do I think that you are a hoon. And I do not condone the actions of the person referred to by the OP. They should have crushed his car if they really believed that these hoon laws were just. Or if they had a spine, perhaps we wouldn't need knee jerk hoon laws if punishments were dished out to so called hoons in the first place.

I was trying to use a bit of humour to point out that these Hoon laws are draconian. They are written, like good laws should be, so as to close every loop hole in the book. But by doing this they have the effect of marginalizing certain sectors of our population, and taking the human factor out of any decision process. The war against Hoons, is just like the war against Terror, and just like the war against Smokers, and the war against Speeding, and the looming war against Drinkers. Today tonight's bread and butter basically.

If you think that you, as a sensible driver, can't be done over by these laws, think again. I firmly believe that any driver could be charged and branded a Hoon under these laws, even you. The application of these laws will be at the discretion of the police, lets hope they use it. Lets also hope they never put a lawyer on the streets, and they never introduce further laws which take away even a judges right to use his or her discretion.

Last edited by OZQUAD44; 05-04-2009 at 04:46 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #45
deathlucky
Awesome Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
(c) the speed, or the acceleration, braking or steering capability, of the vehicle is being tested or contested in any way;
this is stupid so i cant test my breaks now so if some thing happens i just have to assume they will work?

whats wrong with taking off quick getting to the speed limit then stay at that speed? this is a stupid rule and should only apply in the cbd or a friday/saturday if at all
17" BA XR8 Copies, Pedders Coilovers Front & Rear, 30mm Front 24mm Rear Whiteline Sway Bar, Strut Brace, Camber Kit, Slotted Front Rotors, 1636 Wadecam, Au Injectors, El Ecu, TurboSmart FPR-800 (275kpa), MSD Street Fire Ignition, MSD High Vibration Blaster Coil, Pacemaker 4499, High Flow Cat, 2.5" Sports Exhaust, Twin Pod Filters, El Thermo Fans, 2 Stage Shift Kit, Pioneer Sound System : 123.3RWKW
deathlucky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #46
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

I used to say that I hoped that our country would never become has over-governed as the US...
Old 05-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #47
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
The below is taken directly from the WA Road Traffic Act and define the reasons for car impounding.

(a) the vehicle is being used to race another vehicle; Ok but given that there is no other rule in this list about rapid accelleration, I guess you can plant it and go to the speed limit as fast as you want and not be convicted of hooning. I'll bet my freckle that anyone who just boots it will unknowingly be racing that 90yo nanna beside them..
(b) the vehicle is being used in an attempt to establish or break a speed record;This one actually defines a problem.. YAY!!
(c) the speed, or the acceleration, braking or steering capability, of the vehicle is being tested or contested in any way;
So, you can't have your brakes tested during a RWC inspection? Better yet, you can't test/bed the brakes after just having them repaired or replaced?
(d) the skill of the vehicle’s driver is being tested or contested in any way;
So no more Drivers Licence tests?
(e) the vehicle is driven in a manner that causes smoke to come from one or more of the vehicle’s tyres or a substance on the driving surface; or
A brake lockup means you're a hoon, the truckies must love that one, let alone the bloke who gets done for hooning by trying not to run over those kids in his XB.
(f) the vehicle is driven in a manner that causes one or more of the vehicle’s driving wheels to lose traction with the driving surface;
With no allowance for spillage on the road surface, ice/hail on the surface, loose gravel at an intersection.... or wait for it...... a brake lockup??
I don't disagree with the intent of the rules but they are so poorly (or perhaps brilliantly) written that they can just pick up anyone for hooning almost regardless of what they were doing in their car.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #48
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Exactly you Hoon. I'm surprised you even admitted this in an open forum.....
And even though you, by your own admission, are a Hoon. I did not suggest that you take your customers cars out and thrash them.

I am suggesting that if you take a car out for a road test and you didn't test the speed, or the acceleration, braking or steering capability, of the vehicle in any way, you haven't tested the work done to it have you.

Excuse me. Jamming on the ankers nailing the throttle and steering the car testing it's abilities isn't part of checking out my workmanship. No wonder mechanics get a bad wrap. It's due to the garbage you write.

My work in testing the brakes is bedding them in or making sure they work when you've flushed the fluid. When you bed them in, you DON'T jam them on. : You gently apply pressure and using the engine, slow the car down. You can do this without spinning the engine past 2500 RPM too. When their flushed, you test drive to make sure the brake pedal height is where it's surposed to be by apply gental pressure to the pedal.

I also align cars. There's no need to go screaming down the road, hit the picks and turn the car to make sure it's going to make a corner. There's also no need to nail it off the mark to do it either, even if it's to make it to the maximum speed limit for the area. I really only drive them to make sure it's steering straight and the steering wheel is straight. A tyre tells you how the settings are. Logic tells you whether the car will drive straight. Not driving them hard. BTW. I do also align genuine race cars for dirt and bitumen surfaces.

If I want to test the limits of a car, I'll do it on a race track with my own vehicle, not someone elses.

Oh yes. I have admitted I've spun the wheels in the wet. Yes I'm a hoon in the sense, but I have never done anything like that with another persons car.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:55 AM   #49
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrckelley
a wise policam once told me "its only illegal if you get caught"

There are places to "Hoon" and Places not to "hoon". If you cant figure this out after the first offence (second if your unlucky) then you dont deserve your car.

Thecnically this guy got busted for being a dumb ****.

in 99% of cases if you dont bother other people - you wont get bothered.
my thoughts exactly.

i love burnouts and the sound of a good V8, or even a 6, or as pitiful as it sounds, a 4. maybe it's the smell that i like more than the noise.

BUT, go do it away from residential areas.

yeah, i'm 33, and i don't go doing burnouts anymore, but i can ASSURE you that when i was 17/18/19, the boys and i would all go out to industrial areas away from suburbia to do these things.

these days it looks like people don't care. i have just caught the idiots across the road taking off at WOT in a completely suburban area. it looks like whoever was driving the dunnydore ute (with chev badges and 2 big dents on the tailgate) backed off as they saw me at 3am standing out the front with crossed arms.

... (sarcasm on/) because it takes a lot of skill and it shows how powerful your car is when you do burnouts in a commodore ute (/sarcasm off).

seriously, go and have fun, but please, P.O. from built up areas. it really doesn't take much. some of us want to get a decent sleep.

Last edited by Unco; 06-04-2009 at 05:04 AM.
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 04:09 PM   #50
3vXT

Quote:
We have to stop for cops now? this is just getting ridiculous.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 10:08 PM   #51
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Excuse me. Jamming on the ankers nailing the throttle and steering the car testing it's abilities isn't part of checking out my workmanship. No wonder mechanics get a bad wrap. It's due to the garbage you write.
Don't get so touchy, The only person who mentioned jamming on the ankers nailing the throttle and steering was you.

The law, as written up in this post, says you are a hoon if you test the vehicle IN ANY WAY.

What are we disagreeing on here. My comments or your assumptions?
Old 06-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #52
Ross-b
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

My work in testing the brakes is bedding them in or making sure they work when you've flushed the fluid. When you bed them in, you DON'T jam them on. : You gently apply pressure and using the engine, slow the car down. You can do this without spinning the engine past 2500 RPM too. When their flushed, you test drive to make sure the brake pedal height is where it's surposed to be by apply gental pressure to the pedal.

I also align cars. There's no need to go screaming down the road, hit the picks and turn the car to make sure it's going to make a corner. There's also no need to nail it off the mark to do it either, even if it's to make it to the maximum speed limit for the area. I really only drive them to make sure it's steering straight and the steering wheel is straight. A tyre tells you how the settings are. Logic tells you whether the car will drive straight. Not driving them hard. BTW. I do also align genuine race cars for dirt and bitumen surfaces.

If I want to test the limits of a car, I'll do it on a race track with my own vehicle, not someone elses.

Oh yes. I have admitted I've spun the wheels in the wet. Yes I'm a hoon in the sense, but I have never done anything like that with another persons car.

i defiantly got my xt back from the mechanics with an average of 18l/100ks

not saying anything bad about mechanics but this particular one was a total idiot

Recent Car
Ross-b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 08:14 AM   #53
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cars spend a lot of time idling when they're at mechanics.

don't be so quick to assume that just because you got it back with an average of 18L/100Km that your mechanic was flogging your car down the road. it could have just sat idling at the workshop for half an hour or something. this has been covered before though.

... oh, and i wish i could get 18L/100Km :P
Old 07-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #54
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Don't get so touchy, The only person who mentioned jamming on the ankers nailing the throttle and steering was you.

The law, as written up in this post, says you are a hoon if you test the vehicle IN ANY WAY.

What are we disagreeing on here. My comments or your assumptions?

The hoon laws are partially about tyre noise and speed. Your saying a vehicle test isn't done properly unless you do those things. I'm just telling you that ain't the way to test a vehicle. Straight and simple
Old 07-04-2009, 11:13 AM   #55
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
I travel a motorway here in Brisbane every other day. It has been under constant repair and upgrade for near on two years now and the frustration of the drivers shows. I haven't seen anyone slow down to the posted 80kph from 100kph in nearly 12 months. The 40kph zones are constant traffic travelling 80kph. As I pass through the epay toll lane I see holeshot driving out of the pay booth blocks on my left as drivers try to make up time and vent their inconvenience.

If this blatant flouting of the laws is universally accepted by the thousands of patrons who ply the motorway every day, it certainly points to a population growing tired of rules.

As a few have pointed out, it would be hypocritical for just about any of us to say we haven't spun wheels, carried out illegal modifications to our cars, exceeded the speed limit, made excessive noise, etc and done so more than once maybe more than there are fingers and toes. Giving the new car a bit of blat is almost a male rite of passage.

The 19 yearold in question is a boy; ask any of the members on the board here who are over 50. Sure we think we are men when we are 17, but the truth is, it's not until the mid twenties that the feeling of invulnerability and self indulgence starts to subside. By the mid 40's the gonads are starting to have less say in the decison making process. This kid is being pinged severely; his ability to earn a living is compromised and legacy problems will cascade for decades, even after he wakes up from the puberty sleeps. None of us baby boomers were treated this way, we overtly protested at far less draconian laws, yet it's our generation who have turned into Dickensian law makers...shame on us.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 11:46 AM   #56
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
I travel a motorway here in Brisbane every other day. It has been under constant repair and upgrade for near on two years now and the frustration of the drivers shows. I haven't seen anyone slow down to the posted 80kph from 100kph in nearly 12 months. The 40kph zones are constant traffic travelling 80kph. As I pass through the epay toll lane I see holeshot driving out of the pay booth blocks on my left as drivers try to make up time and vent their inconvenience.

If this blatant flouting of the laws is universally accepted by the thousands of patrons who ply the motorway every day, it certainly points to a population growing tired of rules.

As a few have pointed out, it would be hypocritical for just about any of us to say we haven't spun wheels, carried out illegal modifications to our cars, exceeded the speed limit, made excessive noise, etc and done so more than once maybe more than there are fingers and toes. Giving the new car a bit of blat is almost a male rite of passage.

The 19 yearold in question is a boy; ask any of the members on the board here who are over 50. Sure we think we are men when we are 17, but the truth is, it's not until the mid twenties that the feeling of invulnerability and self indulgence starts to subside. By the mid 40's the gonads are starting to have less say in the decison making process. This kid is being pinged severely; his ability to earn a living is compromised and legacy problems will cascade for decades, even after he wakes up from the puberty sleeps. None of us baby boomers were treated this way, we overtly protested at far less draconian laws, yet it's our generation who have turned into Dickensian law makers...shame on us.
Well said!!!
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 12:22 PM   #57
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'll have to disagree. i think those of us who have realized that it is more important to come home in one piece are happy to slow down to the posted speed limit.

in pitty we look at all those little people in a hurry to get through the tolls, or to merge lanes, or to get through the traffic lights and floor the accelerator when they see the amber light, and we just shake our heads and feel sorry for those who don't understand that there is more to life than just getting through traffic quicker than everyone else.

i'll be the bloke that lets you in, instead of cutting you off like every other like-minded genius who thinks public roads are race tracks does.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #58
Ross-b
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unco

don't be so quick to assume that just because you got it back with an average of 18L/100Km that your mechanic was flogging your car down the road. it could have just sat idling at the workshop for half an hour or something. this has been covered before though.

mm i spose, if that actually counts towards it then yeh

but they did rack up a few ks in a couple of hours, i saw them driving my car when i was on my way to work and that is a good 20 ks away

Recent Car
Ross-b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 09:23 PM   #59
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unco

how does that work? My car at idle is using 1.8lt/100km's. Why is that going to increase the average fuel consumption - if anything, leaving it idle for a long period of time should reduce the average.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #60
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
how does that work? My car at idle is using 1.8lt/100km's. Why is that going to increase the average fuel consumption - if anything, leaving it idle for a long period of time should reduce the average.
Negative. time spent at idle is fuel used for 0km's
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post